Messi v Ronaldo | Contains double your daily salt allowance

Messi or Ronaldo

• Messi

• Ronaldo

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ladron de redcafe

It's not a consensus that Pelé, Maradonna and Messi are the best ever in whichever order. Ronaldo has entered the discussion as a candidate as the greatest ever. Even if you don't agree with it.

For myself

Shared 1st: Pelé, Messi
3rd: Ronaldo
4th: Maradonna
5th: Cryuff.
A consensus is the opinion of the majority of football followers. I rarely see a list that has Ronaldo ahead of Maradona. That's a little wild, in my opinion.

You're allowed your opinion because that's what these discussions are about. But most people do tend to have Maradona, Pelé, and Messi as the three greatest.

Wolf1992

Supports
No team in particular.
Ronaldo over Maradona? First time i read that.
Yeah, very weird.Maradona is the ultimate GOAT for me.

What he did in Napoli it's massive, just imagine Messi or Cristiano playing for Sevilla or Villareal.

He had great teammates at Napoli, but Napoli barely was classified as best team unlike Barcelona and Real Madrid.

Zen

Yeah, very weird.Maradona is the ultimate GOAT for me.

What he did in Napoli it's massive, just imagine Messi or Cristiano playing for Sevilla or Villareal.

He had great teammates at Napoli, but Napoli barely was classified as best team unlike Barcelona and Real Madrid.
Always love this wild comparison, times are unbelievably different. It was reasonably common for super elite players to play for what seems like odd teams now, I mean Keegan took Hamburg to the title AND went to the final of the European Cup(Napoli didn't do this) ... is he better than Messi and Cristiano too?

Imagine Harry Kane fecking off City and going to Monchengladbach instead.

Gehrman

Phallic connoisseur, unlike shamans
Ronaldo over Maradona? First time i read that.
If Ronaldo hadnt competed with Messi he would probably have had 9 ballon d'dors on top of his individual records and 5 cl's. Maradonna Ronaldo are hard to compare though. A lot of great footballers are.

Gehrman

Always love this wild comparison, times are unbelievably different. It was reasonably common for super elite players to play for what seems like odd teams now, I mean Keegan took Hamburg to the title AND went to the final of the European Cup(Napoli didn't do this) ... is he better than Messi and Cristiano too?

Imagine Harry Kane fecking off City and going to Monchengladbach instead.
Yeah times were different. Napoli could afford his transfer fee and wages. Seria A was different back then without downplaying his achievements.

Daysleeper

Supports
Barcelona
He’ll turn it around, can never count him out, but his 2022 has been abysmal

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
End of an era with these 2 visibly declining rapidly. No idea how Messi does at PSG mind you, but he never scores so I assume he's cack.

Daysleeper

Supports
Barcelona
End of an era with these 2 visibly declining rapidly. No idea how Messi does at PSG mind you, but he never scores so I assume he's cack.
1 goal and 3 assists in 4 matches. He’s been poor for the season but much better lately.

But both players are clearly declining rapidly.

Pocho

CR has been horrible, Messi is getting better and he is useful to the team. Ronaldo is a liability.

Gehrman

CR has been horrible, Messi is getting better and he is useful to the team. Ronaldo is a liability.
Comparing them at this stage seems a bit silly. Messi is still good on the ball though. Maybe not at good as he was, but his passing is still crisp.

Gehrman

I could read it without paying or subscribing. However its nothing that we already didnt know
Well Yeah the poacher version maybe. However his technical ablities were still greater at 30-34

Gehrman

Suarez was actually good last season. He's Also getting old.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
This article pretty much sums up what people have been saying about Ronaldo for years, without goals he simply doesn’t offer anything:

https://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/manchester-united-news-cristiano-ronaldo-b2014087.html

Ronaldo was a nostalgia signing
To be honest, outside of Barcelona what Messi gets from his team is reduced too and would be a completely different player trying to play a different style of football. We are seeing this in PSG, which can be linked to both his age and him having to play in a style of football that is different to what he is born to play under.

Saurez at Ateltico Madrid is a highlight in a change of environment and what it can do. Suarez's assist level has completely dropped.

Look how much assists Ronaldo has more than Xavi And Iniesta.

229 assists excluding friendlies.

Hardly just a goalscorer.

Gehrman

To be honest, outside of Barcelona what Messi gets from his team is reduced too and would be a completely different player trying to play a different style of football. We are seeing this in PSG, which can be linked to both his age and him having to play in a style of football that is different to what he is born to play under.

Saurez at Ateltico Madrid is a highlight in a change of environment and what it can do. Suarez's assist level has completely dropped.

Suarez was actually good last season but he's getting old as well. Assists stats can sometimes be overrated and this can go for Messi as well. The quality of the assists is what's most impressive. Sometimes an assist is just a simple pass to someone who scores a screamer. And yeah Ronaldo taking his career as a whole is obviously more than just a goalscorer. After he became more of a poacher though, he's mainly been a great goalscorer. It depends on which version of ronnie we are talking about.

Xavi has 236 assists despite being a CM.

Last edited:

Daysleeper

Supports
Barcelona

And yet xavi and iniesta are a hundred times the playmaker Ronaldo is. And in fairness the “not providing much outside of his goal scoring” is something more for Ronaldo in recent years. When is the last time Ronaldo had a memorable match that people spoke about where he didn’t score?

https://www.managingmadrid.com/plat...a-guy-does-on-the-pitch-only-if-he-has-scored

Bebestation

And yet xavi and iniesta are a hundred times the playmaker Ronaldo is. And in fairness the “not providing much outside of his goal scoring” is something more for Ronaldo in recent years. When is the last time Ronaldo had a memorable match that people spoke about where he didn’t score?

https://www.managingmadrid.com/plat...a-guy-does-on-the-pitch-only-if-he-has-scored
Ronaldo is 8 goals and 3 assists in the PL
Messi is 2 goals and 7 assists in Ligue 1

What's happened to Ronaldo has happened to Messi too.

Daysleeper

Supports
Barcelona
Ronaldo is 8 goals and 3 assists in the PL
Messi is 2 goals and 7 assists in Ligue 1

What's happened to Ronaldo has happened to Messi too.
Sure, no disagreeing Messi has declined but if you look at the games where neither player scores I’ll still take Messi’s performances over Ronaldo’s. Messi has had a better 2022 so far but it’s early days and the bar right now is pretty low for both in current form.

Bebestation

Sure, no disagreeing Messi has declined but if you look at the games where neither player scores I’ll still take Messi’s performances over Ronaldo’s. Messi has had a better 2022 so far but it’s early days and the bar right now is pretty low for both in current form.
It's why I want to see Ronaldo in Ligue 1 badly.

I personally think Ronaldo is still great but not good enough for the PL. He looks a different level even in the CL.

Daysleeper

Supports
Barcelona

I personally think Ronaldo is still great but not good enough for the PL. He looks a different level even in the CL.
I’d be curious as well. Seeing that Ligue 1 allows the least amount of goals in the top 5-6 league was a stat I wasn’t expecting.

Ronaldo will bounce back in EPL as well.

Rojow

He used to be not just a goalscorer. But it is now, the last few years. I find amazing how poor is his passing and that he never tries a forward pass neither. Very rare to see one at least.

shamans

Thinks you can get an STD from flirting.
Better 2022? It really is a competition of which player is worse right now than who is better. Don't forget Messi is years younger playing in the uber eats league.

Rojow

If you only look at the goal statistics, Ronaldo and Messi can always be compared, but if you look at the games and the way they play, there is a clear difference and there always was. Now more notable than ever, especially for the fanboys he had at United who practically did not see him play the 90 minutes. They only noticed if he scored a goal to come and write "SIIIUUUU".

Daysleeper

Supports
Barcelona
Better 2022? It really is a competition of which player is worse right now than who is better. Don't forget Messi is years younger playing in the uber eats league.
french league allows the least amount of goals and Messi has missed more matches

Wolf1992

Supports
No team in particular.

Ligue 1 is a very physical league, i doubt he is gonna rip french league at 37.

Ronaldo was doing fine in current Serie A, where old Luca Toni and old Quagliarella were top scorers as well. It's a good league for old players, because at this moment Italy it's way less physical than Spain,England, and Germany.

Plus I don't see Ronaldo going to PSG while Neymar and Messi are still there.

shamans

Thinks you can get an STD from flirting.
Ligue 1 is a very physical league, i doubt he is gonna rip french league at 37.

Ronaldo was doing fine in current Serie A, where old Luca Toni and old Quagliarella were top scorers as well. It's a good league for old players, because at this moment Italy it's way less physical than Spain,England, and Germany.

Plus I don't see Ronaldo going to PSG while Neymar and Messi are still there.
Ligue one is not comparable to premier league you're having a laugh. Not to mention the chances you get at PSG

Daysleeper

Supports
Barcelona
Ligue one is not comparable to premier league you're having a laugh. Not to mention the chances you get at PSG
epl is def tougher than league 1, but I don’t think ligue 1 is a walk in the park as people think.

Status
Not open for further replies.