• Messi

• Ronaldo

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Vialli_92

Supports
Juventus
He was fantastic, hence the fee we paid for him, but Ronaldo was more important.
Well thats your opinion which u are entitled to, but for me Di Maria was their most important player last year. He was pulling the strings in midfield attacking and defending and didn't stop running for 90 minutes. I dont think Madrid would have even won the final last season without him.

Not sure if they would have reached the final without him but they definitely would have lost that final were it not for him.

Vialli_92

Supports
Juventus
That was Modric. Di Maria didn't really get going (ie consistently play at a world class level) until February (despite being very good beforehand but not as consistently). Over the whole season Modric was the best player due to Ronaldo missing games due to injury.
I can remember him quite early on though being the stand out player while he was playing CM early on in the season, i agree he did finish the season stronger than he started it but i just thought he was class for the whole season.

Modric didn't really catch my eye as much as Di Maria did but no doubt he was fantastic as well.

PvsNP

As much as i love Messi, Sneijder was the one still deserved it that year. Messi was the best player in the world but Sneijder did the treble with Inter and was their best player also getting to a WC final.
Which should've made him the favourite to win it, but from the criteria given, Messi won it deservedly. Had it been for the season, Sneijder should definitely have won it, same goes for Ribéry.

Cal?

CR7 fan
Well thats your opinion which u are entitled to, but for me Di Maria was their most important player last year. He was pulling the strings in midfield attacking and defending and didn't stop running for 90 minutes. I dont think Madrid would have even won the final last season without him.

Not sure if they would have reached the final without him but they definitely would have lost that final were it not for him.
You could say that about Ramos too.

Cal?

CR7 fan
did you edit? I'm positive I read previously you saying he didn't deserve it in 2012. Either way, same award and largely the same voters so it's NONSENSE.

That would be very difficult considering Marcos quoted my post 3 minutes after I posted it.

Cal?

CR7 fan
Could Also add Modric to that as well, but thats not the point i was just making a case for Di Maria being Madrid's best player last season.
Even the Real Madrid fan doesn't agree, but let's just agree to disagree.

Snake Plissken

Aka LTS10
I did, and I corrected myself a few posts down and pointed out I meant 2010.
I missed that, sorry. But yeah, point stands, same award, same set up, same voters, yeah you think the guys who vote are undeniably one year and just spot on the next year.

Raul Madrid

Which should've made him the favourite to win it, but from the criteria given, Messi won it deservedly. Had it been for the season, Sneijder should definitely have won it, same goes for Ribéry.
I think Messi definitely deserved it in 2010. He scored 47 goals the previous season and a similar number over the calendar year and this was before it was considered the norm for both him and Ronaldo and it was seen as a massive deal at the time (I think people take such goalscoring feats for granted now due to Messi and Ronaldo doing it so regularly and making it look so easy). Sneijder wasn't Inters best player over the whole season. His CL performances were great but in Seria A he was outperformed by Samuel and Milito. Over the whole season taking all three competitions into account, Milito was their best player and that was the consensus among Inter fans I know, people I know who watch Seria A, the Italian media and this was reflected by him winning both the Seria A player of the year and the CL player of the season. He also scored the goals that won the title on the last day, the cup final and the CL final.

If there was someone other than Messi in 2010 that deserved the award then it would have been Xavi who was the 2nd best player in the La Liga season after Messi and ahead of Cristiano. He was dominating midfields all season long in both the Cl (perhaps his two performances vs Arsenal being the picks of the bunch in which they thoroughly outplayed Arsenal in no small thanks to his midfield mastery) and the league and he did this without his partner in crime Iniesta for the most part who was in and out of the team through injury. He had a great World Cup also (imo better than Sneijders) and he picked up where he left off going into the new season dominating games like only he knows how. His year was also capped off with his brilliant display in Barcelona's 5-0 hammering of Madrid. Messi deserved it imo but if there was anyone else who did other than the Argentine then it would have been Xavi.

Cal?

CR7 fan
I missed that, sorry. But yeah, point stands, same award, same set up, same voters, yeah you think the guys who vote are undeniably one year and just spot on the next year.
No, not spot on, but not very far wrong. You can make arguments when there are just a few % of votes between places and disagree with their final ranking. Like I said a few posts up, a very good case can be made for Ribery in 2013.

However, it'd be ludicrous to suggest someone voted in 4th place (again, you can argue he didn't deserve 4th, but deserved 6th or 8th or whatever), wasn't still one of the best players in the world that year.

Raul Madrid

I can remember him quite early on though being the stand out player while he was playing CM early on in the season, i agree he did finish the season stronger than he started it but i just thought he was class for the whole season.

Modric didn't really catch my eye as much as Di Maria did but no doubt he was fantastic as well.
Overall it was very close between the three (Ronaldo, Modric and Di Maria) but the consensus among Madrid fans (both the ones I know in real life and the opinions of those I read online) was that Modric was our best player over the course of the whole season. But over the calendar year (2014) it was Ronaldo who was Madrid's best and most consistent player very closely followed by Modric and Di Maria hasn't quite reached the same heights at United (yet).

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout
I think Messi definitely deserved it in 2010. He scored 47 goals the previous season and a similar number over the calendar year and this was before it was considered the norm for both him and Ronaldo and it was seen as a massive deal at the time (I think people take such goalscoring feats for granted now due to Messi and Ronaldo doing it so regularly and making it look so easy). Sneijder wasn't Inters best player over the whole season. His CL performances were great but in Seria A he was outperformed by Samuel and Milito. Over the whole season taking all three competitions into account, Milito was their best player and that was the consensus among Inter fans I know, people I know who watch Seria A, the Italian media and this was reflected by him winning both the Seria A player of the year and the CL player of the season. He also scored the goals that won the title on the last day, the cup final and the CL final.

If there was someone other than Messi in 2010 that deserved the award then it would have been Xavi who was the 2nd best player in the La Liga season after Messi and ahead of Cristiano. He was dominating midfields all season long in both the Cl (perhaps his two performances vs Arsenal being the picks of the bunch in which they thoroughly outplayed Arsenal in no small thanks to his midfield mastery) and the league and he did this without his partner in crime Iniesta for the most part who was in and out of the team through injury. He had a great World Cup also (imo better than Sneijders) and he picked up where he left off going into the new season dominating games like only he knows how. His year was also capped off with his brilliant display in Barcelona's 5-0 hammering of Madrid. Messi deserved it imo but if there was anyone else who did other than the Argentine then it would have been Xavi.
Good post. I think that people often like to see others win the major awards because they feel it's good for all the top players to get a shot at it, or as many as is possible, but in reality it should go to the player who has been the best over the year, and I'd agree it was Messi. He was the best in the world at that time, and into his prime years where he was better than everyone else around him.

manutddjw

Fun debate to have, but I really don't think there's a correct answer on this one because it's that close. Even if you go by stats which are consistently pretty even, you have to take into account the switch in power between their respective clubs. When Messi was winning Ballon D'or's, Barcelona were better than Real Madrid and now Real Madrid are the better team.

For me personally, I much rather watch Messi play than Ronaldo.

cesc's_mullet

Get a haircut Hippy!
Supports
Arsenal
Debate over for today? Missed it :(
It's really not a debate though, there is only one winner. Coincidentally there is only one poster who disagrees, but he really is the ultimate fanboii.

The real debate is are they the two best players of all time?

Vialli_92

Supports
Juventus
It's really not a debate though, there is only one winner. Coincidentally there is only one poster who disagrees, but he really is the ultimate fanboii.

Now that is over rating Ronaldo, he is not even close to being one of the best players of all time.

Marcosdeto

Guess who's back?

we dont call each other "fanbois" anymore

in cal's case i'd use "footballing taste challenged" person

SirAF

Ageist

I also disagree - let the records show that!

Pink Moon

Supports
Celtic
Quite obvious its because Messi has more ability to play the way he does? I remember watching the Real v Athletico game and was wondering where's Ronaldo. He was practically doing nothing the the entire game and then he suddenly beat Godin to ball and scored a great header. After that Real ran out of gas and Ronaldo couldn't do anything at all. Messi on the other hand was constantly probing the defence, forcing them deeper and creating chance after chance. And he even scored in both games.

Ronaldo might be scoring ridiculous amount of goals but Messi goalscoring records isn't that far away. This season Messi been playing so much deeper than usual but he's actually only 6 goals behind Ronaldo. That is the truly frightening aspect about him.
I agree with everything you say. I'm team Messi! :lol:

All I'm saying is the reason people get so touchy when you call Ronaldo a poacher is because they wrongly assume that a poacher is someone who isn't good at football but always manages to find his way onto the scoresheet.

Deleted member 78215

Messi is the more naturally gifted, and more exciting to watch. But Ronaldo is just as productive. So who you prefer boils down to a matter of taste, really. Personally, I think Messi is better - his passing, his finishing, his movement, his dribbling, his positioning, his vision, his speed; Messi is the complete package. He's an incredible blend of playmaker and attacker. As good as Ronaldo is, and he is brilliant, he's never quite had the playmaking ability of Messi. Still, Ronaldo does rack up his fair share of assists, but the difference between the two in that respect is fairly evident when you watch them play. I've seen both Ronaldo (when Ronaldo was at United and an incredibly exciting player) and Messi play live - a few times, in fact - and he's definitely impressed me more.

cesc's_mullet

Get a haircut Hippy!
Supports
Arsenal
Now that is over rating Ronaldo, he is not even close to being one of the best players of all time.
I think he is most certainly one of the best of all-time.

Granted, I wasn't around for Maradonna let alone Pele.

cesc's_mullet

Get a haircut Hippy!
Supports
Arsenal
Messi, Henry, Zidane, and Ronaldinho all were than him and thats just naming a few.
Personally Henry is my favourite player of all time, bar none. He is still (in my opinion) to this day the best player to have graced the Premier League and easily the best forward. I can watch him all day everyday... He is one of all-time greats as far as I am concerned.

However I simply cannot look past Ronaldo's sheer volume of goals and accomplishments. For mine, those two have elevated themselves to a whole new level above all other players.

KiD MoYeS

Good Craig got his c'nuppins
Wait, did I read that right? Are people arguing that Ronaldo isn't one of the greatest of all time!? :lol::lol: A new low...

Cal?

CR7 fan
Messi, Henry, Zidane, and Ronaldinho all were than him and thats just naming a few.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

What has Henry ever won that's even comparable to Ronaldo? Ronaldo was the best player ever in the PL even before he moved to Madrid and further improved his productivity.

Skorenzy

What the hell is a "successful dribble" anyway?

Also, I don't see dribbling as being very important if it doesn't lead anywhere...
Don't see why he's getting stick for asking what a 'successful dribble' is. Can anyone actually say what is the criteria for a dribble? Does it only count beating opponents head on or does it also include running with the ball and travelling without actually beating an opponent? A dribble isn't like a shot where there is an unambiguous conception. What someone considers a successful dribble might differ from person to person so I don't think there's much wrong with questioning its usefulness as a statistic.
Dribble (Successful Dribble)
- Taking on an opponent and successfully making it past them whilst retaining the ball

http://www.whoscored.com/Glossary

predator

Youth NITK
I think Messi is better personally. Simply put Messi is more naturally gifted whereas Ronaldo has built his effectiveness up over the years. He is now a footballing machine though who is still up there as one of the greatest.
Maybe you could argue that Ronaldo is more consistent and has proved himself in another league. I reckon most football managers would pick an in form Ronaldo over an in form Messi. So I am so open minded on the matter and will always listen to the other side of the argument.

However, Messi has physically made my jaw drop in disbelief more than anyone in world football. The numerous solo goals he does, the insanely well weighted passes, the intricate dribbling and the way he can beat a player with sheer deception. Now as a person who has played football all their life I just admire Messi's ablity more than Ronaldos.

Desert Eagle

Punjabi Dude
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

What has Henry ever won that's even comparable to Ronaldo? Ronaldo was the best player ever in the PL even before he moved to Madrid and further improved his productivity.
That right there gives us a clue into the mind of someone who defends Ronaldo in these types of debates. Apart from the weird fanbois you also get the statistical/award based arguments. If that's the first thing that pops into your mind when judging footballers then you're doing it wrong buddy imo

Status
Not open for further replies.