Messi or Ronaldo

• Messi

• Ronaldo

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Skorenzy

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

What has Henry ever won that's even comparable to Ronaldo? Ronaldo was the best player ever in the PL even before he moved to Madrid and further improved his productivity.
Uh, you might think a bit (or at least google Henry) before the faux-outrage next time.

PvsNP

Exactly. Players like Arbeloa and Oleguer have 1 WC, 2 CLs, 2 Euros and 3 La Liga titles to their names. Does that make them better than Ayala, for instance? Of course not.

Cal?

CR7 fan
That right there gives us a clue into the mind of someone who defends Ronaldo in these types of debates. Apart from the weird fanbois you also get the statistical/award based arguments. If that's the first thing that pops into your mind when judging footballers then you're doing it wrong buddy imo
Ronaldo was already the best player in the world, Henry was never at any stage.

Snake Plissken

Aka LTS10
Ronaldo was already the best player in the world, Henry was never at any stage.
yes he was. He deserved at least one Ballon D'or. You're just annoyed Henry's probably going down as the greatest player the Premier League has seen, hence the bitterness.

ADJUDICATOR

Supports
THE BRAVE AND THE BOLD
Henry was an immensely talented player that happened to cheat. Definitely more talented than Cristiano Ronaldo, and debatably a better player.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Henry was brilliant. His overall game was better than Ronaldo's but the latters sheer productivity makes him clearly superior imo.

BobbyManc

Supports
Man City
Henry is a feckin cheat and will be remembered as a feckin cheat.
Only by the Irish. No one else gives a feck. He was a phenomenal player who in the heat of the moment cheated. 99% of people will remember him for the moments of genius he did as a player in the heat of the moment instead.

JazzG

Resident Arse.
yes he was. He deserved at least one Ballon D'or. You're just annoyed Henry's probably going down as the greatest player the Premier League has seen, hence the bitterness.
Cal will never change, when Henry was around he used to spout his hate for the player on a daily basis like he does for Messi right now. Back then it was RvN vs Henry and now it has become Messi vs C.Ronaldo, it seems all the posters who took part in those arguments back then have grown up except for Cal!

NM

Henry a better player than Ronaldo? He was great but :lol:

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout
Henry a better player than Ronaldo? He was great but :lol:
I don't think the comparison between the two is silly, since Henry was a superb player, although I'd say myself that Ronaldo wins it out fairly comfortable. A lot feel Henry had more to his game though, so it's not ridiculous to compare the two.

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
Jesus H Christ.

This is how it started. There was this thread comparing Henry and C Ronaldo in the Premier League only. Because it was common knowledge (or so I thought) that Ronaldo's entire body of work, both in longevity and quality, blows Henry out of the water.

Snake Plissken

Aka LTS10
I don't think the comparison between the two is silly, since Henry was a superb player, although I'd say myself that Ronaldo wins it out fairly comfortable. A lot feel Henry had more to his game though, so it's not ridiculous to compare the two.
Absolutely. I think over time Ronaldo is an easy winner. Ability wise Henry was a much more rounded player, I also think he had more of a habit of doing the sublime in the biggest games.

Last edited:

Bob Loblaw

Supports
Liverpool
Jesus H Christ.

This is how it started. There was this thread comparing Henry and C Ronaldo in the Premier League only. Because it was common knowledge (or so I thought) that Ronaldo's entire body of work, both in longevity and quality, blows Henry out of the water.
Aye, I'd go along with that. Henry the better premier league player, Cristiano the better overall.

Cait Sith

Start Messi only thread => turns into Messi vs. Ronaldo.
Start Messi vs. Ronaldo thread => turns into Ronaldo vs. Henry.

Because that's how the Caf rolls. :lol:

AngeloHenriquez

Supports
Stevenage
Surely you need to define the question, greatest at their peak? greatest in the PL? scored the more? best overall player? best player in relation to the world at the time etc you need to define the criteria to get some order in here.. I think the question for most is who was best over the longest period, "best" being relative to what you would expect from someone in their position, so an attacker would be rated on goals and assists, there's reasons for and against everything, I don't think this is as far or as close as some suggest, If Ronnie keeps this up for another 2 years though, I think they would become far between as Henry took a while to peak and had a lot of injury plagued seasons, there's another element there, availability, some will cite the fact that "this player played less, so proportionality speaking...", when that's irrelevant, it assumes the player playing less would have been able to maintain a standard, or that if CR had been rested more, he could have produced better per game stats..

Vialli_92

Supports
Juventus
Imo i think Henry was better because he had a much more complete game than Ronaldo, he also made up moments of magic out of no where and could win a game from nothing when his team's back was up against the wall he would be the one to make the difference.

When ever Madrid's backs are against the wall and the game isn't going smooth for them Ronaldo looks like he isn't even on the pitch, i have seen that from Ronaldo lots of times which is why i just dont rate him as much as others. Henry had this class about him that i have not seen many players with that could just make your jaw drop.

If we were to just look at the stats for goals, no doubt Ronaldo would win but the way Henry played the game was just magic. Henry also didn't need to rely on his team mates most of the time to win a game, he could just pull a rabbit out of the hat at any given moment on the pitch.

thepolice123

Tbf Ronaldo hit a higher peak and achieved more than Henry while he was at the PL.

Henry is still the greatest PL player in my books though. Ronaldo's stay was too short to even make a comparison.

NM

Imo i think Henry was better because he had a much more complete game than Ronaldo, he also made up moments of magic out of no where and could win a game from nothing when his team's back was up against the wall he would be the one to make the difference.

When ever Madrid's backs are against the wall and the game isn't going smooth for them Ronaldo looks like he isn't even on the pitch, i have seen that from Ronaldo lots of times which is why i just dont rate him as much as others. Henry had this class about him that i have not seen many players with that could just make your jaw drop.

If we were to just look at the stats for goals, no doubt Ronaldo would win but the way Henry played the game was just magic. Henry also didn't need to rely on his team mates most of the time to win a game, he could just pull a rabbit out of the hat at any given moment on the pitch.
Ronaldo did that plenty of times for United.

Ronaldo's evolution and play at Madrid is making people forgot how great of a genuine winger he was.

Henry isn't in the same strata.

A PL great, and more impactful than Ronaldo due to his long tenure, sure.

A better player? :lol:

I guess Ronaldinho is better than Messi as he did things with the ball Messi and Ronaldo simply can't. Best too.

Vialli_92

Supports
Juventus
Ronaldo did that plenty of times for United.

Ronaldo's evolution and play at Madrid is making people forgot how great of a genuine winger he was.

Henry isn't in the same strata.

A PL great, and more impactful than Ronaldo due to his long tenure, sure.

A better player? :lol:

I guess Ronaldinho is better than Messi as he did things with the ball Messi and Ronaldo simply can't. Best too.
Ye he did do it, often in the big games he didn't though when he had that flare style. I wish he wouldn't have adapted to that poacher role at Madrid because he was a joy to watch when he was at United, taking on defenders and causing havoc.

NM

Ye he did do it, often in the big games he didn't though when he had that flare style. I wish he wouldn't have adapted to that poacher role at Madrid because he was a joy to watch when he was at United, taking on defenders and causing havoc.
How do you define the big games? I can recall goals that were crucial to our titles - the brilliant solo goal against Fulham, the 2-2 in the 3-2 win against Villa and the goal in the CL final just off the top of my head.

He's also scored against Barca for fun in the El Clasicos.

Nucks

RT History Department
Honestly, how is this even a debate anymore.

Ronaldo is the better striker.

Messi is the better player (on account he is the best in the world or one of the best in the world at just about everything but defending and goal keeping).

If Ronaldo keeps up his goal scoring rate, you might be able conclude Ronaldo is the better goal scorer (depends on how many of his goals are penalties though imho!). Other than that, the entire debate about who is "better" or more "complete" is absurd. Messi is better than Ronaldo at more things.

Ability to execute a pass.
Ability to see a pass.
Ability to control the ball.

Ronaldo is a more dynamic athlete, there is no doubt about that, but the problem for Ronaldo is he isn't that much better than Messi athletically that Messi cannot compete with him. Messi is fast as hell, he is quicker than Ronaldo, Messi is undoubtedly stronger on the ball, probably not stronger overall. Basically the areas where Ronaldo might be better than Messi are not very clear. He might be a better scorer but it is so close it is hard to distinguish them. The areas where Messi is stronger it isn't close. Messi is vastly superior at seeing and picking passes. His ability to make those passes is also vastly superior. His creativity in midfield is vastly superior. His ball control is also vastly superior. Ronaldo needs space to beat his man on the dribble, Messi needs no space to beat you.

Both are absolutely amazing, and both deserve Ballon D'ors. However, when you talk about who the more complete player is, there is only one answer and it isn't Ronaldo.

Marcosdeto

Guess who's back?
Real Madrid won today, despite Ronaldo being shit and getting stupidly red carded

how many times can you say the same about Messi

that's one of the big differences between them

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Real Madrid won today, despite Ronaldo being shit and getting stupidly red carded

It's why messi has always been easily better. Messi doesn't need goals to play brilliantly. Ronaldo does. One is frequently on the periphery of games but always amongst the goals. The other is always a huge part of the game and always amongst the goals. Both brilliant footballers.

Cal?

CR7 fan

That Ronaldo occasionally gets sent off? :confused:

Cal?

CR7 fan
According to whom? You who thought that 4th placed player in the Ballon D'or voting was awful the whole year?

Snake Plissken

Aka LTS10
According to whom? You who thought that 4th placed player in the Ballon D'or voting was awful the whole year?
quote the post where I said Xavi was awful. Alternatively, rub your two brain cells together and see if you can start a fire Cal.

Status
Not open for further replies.