Messi or Ronaldo

• Messi

• Ronaldo

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

united_99

Takes pleasure in other people's pain
Btw, they've both become shit free kick takers haven't they?
Ronaldo was never that good at free-kicks was he? At least he needed about 50 attempts to finally score one, I know I was hardly that confident we would score from a free-kick when he was here.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Ronaldo was never that good at free-kicks was he? At least he needed about 50 attempts to finally score one, I know I was hardly that confident we would score from a free-kick when he was here.
I remember him being quite good for a spell but yeah after a bit you knew he was going to do blast it or hit the wall but no one could take it ahead of him either.

I can remember messi scoring from one at the World Cup but don't remember the previous one. I don't think he has this seaosn even once.

Cait Sith

That's also true. Freekick stats Premier League since 01/02 season:

Top 10
Juan Mata: Shots 28, Goals 5, Conversion 17.9 (per cent)
Sebastian Larsson: 90, 11, 12.2.
Jimmy Floyd Hasselbaink: 62, 6, 9.7.
David Beckham: 54, 5, 9.3.
Nolberto Solano: 78, 7, 9.0.
Thierry Henry: 144, 12, 8.3.
Danny Murphy: 67, 5, 7.5.
Ryan Giggs: 73, 5, 6.8.
Leighton Baines: 76, 5, 6.6.
Laurent Robert: 154, 10, 6.5.

Selected others:
Cristiano Ronaldo: 164, 10, 6.1.
Steven Gerrard: 102, 6, 5.9.
Frank Lampard: 175, 7, 4.0.
http://www.itv.com/news/2015-01-20/mata-is-the-greatest-premier-league-free-kick-taker-of-all-time/

Well, maybe not 50 :lol: but it was certainly not an outstanding record.

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
Stop rewriting history people.

Messi hasn't been at this level for a while. He received a lot of flack leading up to the World Cup last season for his lacklustre performances. There have been periods when Ronaldo was hands down better.

Not at the moment, mind. So far chalk Messi down for his 5th Ballon D'Or

Bob Loblaw

Supports
Liverpool

Messi hasn't been at this level for a while. He received a lot of flack leading up to the World Cup last season for his lacklustre performances. There have been periods when Ronaldo was hands down better.

Depends what you mean by 'a while'. He's been at this level all season - before that, sure, he wasn't as good.

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons

Ronaldo was only better while Messi was struggling with injuries and off-field issues, lately it's not even a contest. Even during that time when Ronaldo was "much" better their stats were pretty much close.

Bob Loblaw

Supports
Liverpool
Didn't he play against Real this season? I could have sworn he was struggling on the pitch.

But yeah he has been fantastic for most of the season at least.
He was poor against Real Madrid yeah, maybe had 1 or 2 quiet games aside from that but that's normal. Even in 2011 he had the odd off game. Cristiano has off games all the time...

ADJUDICATOR

Supports
THE BRAVE AND THE BOLD
“I have played against both Madrid and Barca, and you can’t compare Cristiano to Barca’s Messi. Messi alone is more dangerous than Ronaldo, Bale and Benzema put together,” - Simeone.

Vialli_92

Supports
Juventus
“I have played against both Madrid and Barca, and you can’t compare Cristiano to Barca’s Messi. Messi alone is more dangerous than Ronaldo, Bale and Benzema put together,” - Simeone.
To stop Ronaldo u just have to mark Modric and Alonso out of the game. Limit his service and he wont be able to do anything. To stop Messi u most likely have to have 1-2 players constantly pressing him as giving him space is suicidal.

Different players but it's clear Messi is in a different league to any one else.

shamans

Thinks you can get an STD from flirting.
I remember him being quite good for a spell but yeah after a bit you knew he was going to do blast it or hit the wall but no one could take it ahead of him either.

I can remember messi scoring from one at the World Cup but don't remember the previous one. I don't think he has this seaosn even once.
I know what spell you're talking about. I was never confident with him but there was this phase of his when his free kicks felt really dangerous and you knew it was going to be really close.

RooneyLegend

I've never understood people who've thought Ronaldo was close to messi. He's a clear level below IMO.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Bar the ridiculous romantic language, the point isn't incorrect. It's only stats where it's close between Ronaldo and Messi.

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots

Agreed. That said at their best.. this really is a one sided battle in favour of Messi.

Cal?

CR7 fan
Argentine manager being complimentary to Argentine player, surprised?

Vialli_92

Supports
Juventus
Argentine manager being complimentary to Argentine player, surprised?
If people used their eye's and watched both of them play there wouldn't even be a debate. Sadly people just like to look at stats and think Ronaldo is some how better. When people like u try to explain how Ronaldo is a better player than Messi i just dont listen to anything they have to say on football.

Cal?

CR7 fan
If people used their eye's and watched both of them play there wouldn't even be a debate. Sadly people just like to look at stats and think Ronaldo is some how better. When people like u try to explain how Ronaldo is a better player than Messi i just dont listen to anything they have to say on football.
I see, so all those managers, footballers, journalists who voted Ronaldo the best in the world in 2013 and 2014 know nothing. :rolleyes:

Vialli_92

Supports
Juventus
I see, so all those managers, footballers, journalists who voted Ronaldo the best in the world in 2013 and 2014 know nothing. :rolleyes:
I cant deny he had a "better year" as a player it's not even close. Ronaldo isn't half the player Messi is and thats being honest.

Also Di Maria for me should have taken the Balon D'or i thought he was more important than Ronaldo was in Madrid's success last season.

Cal?

CR7 fan
I cant deny he had a "better year" as a player it's not even close. Ronaldo isn't half the player Messi is and thats being honest.
So in 7 years Messi was better for 4 and Ronaldo better for 3 (assuming you agree with the Balon D'or voting), yet Ronaldo isn't half the player Messi is? :rolleyes:

Vialli_92

Supports
Juventus
So in 7 years Messi was better for 4 and Ronaldo better for 3 (assuming you agree with the Balon D'or voting), yet Ronaldo isn't half the player Messi is? :rolleyes:
I have watched both of them play and the only compliment i can give to Ronaldo is that he is a fantastic goal scorer and his off the ball movement is top class.

There are too many things for me to say to talk about Messi, he has made my jaw drop countless times with some of the outrageous things he does on the pitch and i am quite lucky i got to watch him play as often as i have.

Cal?

CR7 fan
For me it's very simple and it's down to who is more enjoyable to watch at his best ? It's easily Messi for me.
That's fine and I respect people having their opinions. It's the lot who like to think of their opinions as "facts" that annoy me.

Cal?

CR7 fan
I have watched both of them play and the only compliment i can give to Ronaldo is that he is a fantastic goal scorer and his off the ball movement is top class.

There are too many things for me to say to talk about Messi, he has made my jaw drop countless times with some of the outrageous things he does on the pitch and i am quite lucky i got to watch him play as often as i have.
Ultimately goalscoring is the be all and end all of football matches, 99.99% possession mean nothing if not converted into goals.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
That's fine and I respect people have their opinion. It's the lot who like to think of their opinions as "facts" that annoy me.
I agree with this, it's a matter of opinion at the level both of them are. Ronaldo is an awesome player and one of the best in the history of the game, just like Messi. The rest is a matter of taste.

Vialli_92

Supports
Juventus
Ultimately goalscoring is the be all and end all of football matches, 99.99% possession mean nothing if not converted into goals.
I agree definitely, the difference in class between the players is ultimately a big gap though regardless of numbers dont u agree?

Pink Moon

Supports
Celtic
They're voting on who had the better year.

Using your logic they also think Neuer is better than Robben, Ibrahimovic et al.

Cal?

CR7 fan
I agree definitely, the difference in class between the players is ultimately a big gap though regardless of numbers dont u agree?
No, I don't. I just don't think dribbling, close controls etc mean all that much compared to heading, pace, etc, they're just different attributes.

Anyway, let's just agree to disagree.

Cal?

CR7 fan
They're voting on who had the better year.

Using your logic they also think Neuer is better than Robben, Ibrahimovic et al.
Neuer was the better player in 2014, no?

How do you justify Sneijder not getting anywhere near the award in 2010 if it's just about having a good year?

PickledRed

Supports
Liverpool
I'd like to see a team with that much possession not score goals...

Pink Moon

Supports
Celtic
No, I don't. I just don't think dribbling, close controls etc mean all that much compared to heading, pace, etc, they're just different attributes.

So attributes such as dribbling and close control don't mean as much as heading and pace? One set of attributes gives you the ability to create chances for yourself or your teammates. To create something from nothing. The other is totally reliant on your teammates doing it for you.

Vialli_92

Supports
Juventus

Messi has all those attributes u just listed though, u forgot to mention his vision and range of passing and being able to dictate the tempo of the play in a game while also being able to score a tonne of goals from play he is starting and finishing at times.

Messi has shown he has tremendous pace as well as good heading ability. Anything Ronaldo can do Messi can do it as well and a tonne of other things that Ronaldo isn't capable of.

Pink Moon

Supports
Celtic
Neuer was the better player in 2014, no?

How do you justify Sneijder not getting anywhere near the award in 2010 if it's just about having a good year?
Messi was the deserved winner that year. Whether Xavi & Iniesta should have finished above him is a different story.

Messi beating Sneijder is no different than Ronaldo beating Neuer this year.

Cal?

CR7 fan
I agree with this, it's a matter of opinion at the level both of them are. Ronaldo is an awesome player and one of the best in the history of the game, just like Messi. The rest is a matter of taste.
This is no fun, we need the likes of FV or snake who refuse to listen to anyone but themselves to fuel these arguments. ;)
I'd like to see a team with that much possession not score goals...
Well, United often have 60%+ possession and struggle to score
So attributes such as dribbling and close control don't mean as much as heading and pace? One set of attributes gives you the ability to create chances for yourself or your teammates. To create something from nothing. The other is totally reliant on your teammates doing it for you.
They are just different attributes and I just don't agree that overall Messi is the better player. Incidently, great pace is just as likely to create chances.

Vialli_92

Supports
Juventus
This is no fun, we need the likes of FV or snake who refuse to listen to anyone but themselves to fuel these arguments. ;)

Well, United often have 60%+ possession and struggle to score

They are just different attributes and I just don't agree that overall Messi is the better player. Incidently, great pace is just as likely to create chances.
Messi has great pace though?

Status
Not open for further replies.