• Messi

• Ronaldo

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Pink Moon

Supports
Celtic
Bringing up heading is a bit of a moot point considering Messi's scored more headers than Ronaldo this season IIRC and Messi plays for a team that just do not cross the ball. Besides... he's 5'7 ffs. It's a bit like slagging a basketball player who can't dunk the ball but averages a triple-double for the season.

Pink Moon

Supports
Celtic
This is no fun, we need the likes of FV or snake who refuse to listen to anyone but themselves to fuel these arguments. ;)

Well, United often have 60%+ possession and struggle to score

They are just different attributes and I just don't agree that overall Messi is the better player. Incidently, great pace is just as likely to create chances.
Not if you don't have the dribbling and control attributes you listed before. There's so many players who are all pace and nothing more.

Cal?

CR7 fan
Messi has all those attributes u just listed though, u forgot to mention his vision and range of passing and being able to dictate the tempo of the play in a game while also being able to score a tonne of goals from play he is starting and finishing at times.

Messi has shown he has tremendous pace as well as good heading ability. Anything Ronaldo can do Messi can do it as well and a tonne of other things that Ronaldo isn't capable of.
Messi has pretty good acceleration or change of pace, but he's nowhere comparable to Ronaldo if we're talking about outright pace. You hardly ever see it because Barcelona hardly ever score on the break. The fact United 06-09 and Real Madrid nowadays regularly score on the break has a lot to do with Ronaldo's pace.

As for heading, Messi is quite good for his height, but let's just say even his parents will struggle to say "Messi can head as well as Ronaldo" with a straight face.

Vialli_92

Supports
Juventus
Cal if u honestly cant see that Messi is a better player than Ronaldo then i dont know what to tell u any more as your opinion on football really means nothing to me if u still insist on Ronaldo being better.

I know everyone has their opinions and is entitles to them but when it's crystal clear who is a better player i just dont know what to tell u any more.

Vialli_92

Supports
Juventus
Messi has pretty good acceleration or change of pace, but he's nowhere comparable to Ronaldo if we're talking about outright pace. You hardly ever see it because Barcelona hardly ever score on the break. The fact United 06-09 and Real Madrid nowadays regularly score on the break has a lot to do with Ronaldo's pace.

As for heading, Messi is quite good for his height, but let's just say even his parents will struggle to say "Messi can head as well as Ronaldo" with a straight face.
The header against United in the 09 final? He jumped nearly as high as the crossbar i believe to head that in. He can do it when he has to the fact is though his teams dont cross that much so he barely gets a chance to show his heading ability.

Even if Ronaldo is faster and a better header of the ball that automatically means he is a better player than Messi?

Cal?

CR7 fan
Ronaldo has never won a Ballon D'or in a year where Messi has stayed injury free. FACT
You can probably reverse the 2 players and say the same thing, most players suffer a couple of injuries every season...

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
Cal if u honestly cant see that Messi is a better player than Ronaldo then i dont know what to tell u any more as your opinion on football really means nothing to me if u still insist on Ronaldo being better.

I know everyone has their opinions and is entitles to them but when it's crystal clear who is a better player i just dont know what to tell u any more.
He's a man who posts pretty much every day of his life in Messi vs Ronaldo threads. You will never change his mind.

Renegade81

The spell is wearing off. Ronaldos dip in form-messi back to his magical best. Coincidence? Lol

Cal?

CR7 fan
The header against United in the 09 final? He jumped nearly as high as the crossbar i believe to head that in. He can do it when he has to the fact is though his teams dont cross that much so he barely gets a chance to show his heading ability.

Even if Ronaldo is faster and a better header of the ball that automatically means he is a better player than Messi?
Exaggerate much? That header there was no defender within a few yards of him.

I didn't say faster and better header are the only reasons why I consider Ronaldo better.

Vialli_92

Supports
Juventus
Exaggerate much? That header there was no defender within a few yards of him.

I didn't say faster and better header are the only reasons why I consider Ronaldo better.
If u look at it yourself u will see. I clearly remember even the analysts after the match mentioning thats how high he jumped after looking at the replay.

Ok then tell me why Ronaldo is better then?

Cal?

CR7 fan
If u look at it yourself u will see. I clearly remember even the analysts after the match mentioning thats how high he jumped after looking at the replay.

Ok then tell me why Ronaldo is better then?
I did, hence I know how bad the marking was for that goal.

Ronaldo is better because he excels at more situations than Messi, he has a similar La Liga scoring record despite playing in a weaker side for many years, he's capable of playing in different systems, need I go on?

Sammyjunn

In Smalling's pocket (as every other person)
I've never seen a proper argument made of Ronaldo being better than Messi other than he has scored more goals in an x amount of time. In periods Ronaldo scores more, in other Messi scores more, but in what else does Ronaldo surpass Messi next to power, pace, height and his shot got more power.

Vialli_92

Supports
Juventus

Ronaldo is better because he excels at more situations than Messi, he has a similar La Liga scoring record despite playing in a weaker side for many years, he's capable of playing in different systems, need I go on?
What are those situations? I am willing to bet that if u took Messi out of that Barca team they wouldn't have won half the trophies they won without him. Messi can play in different systems as well where is the evidence that he cant?

Cal?

CR7 fan
I've never seen a proper argument made of Ronaldo being better than Messi other than he has scored more goals in an x amount of time. In periods Ronaldo scores more, in other Messi scores more, but in what else does Ronaldo surpass Messi next to power, pace, height and his shot got more power.
You make it sound like those things are unimportant for footballers...

Snake Plissken

Aka LTS10

jesus christ :lol:

actually yeah you'll need to go on

Keeps It tidy

Hates Messi
Enjoy these two while you can. We may never see anything like these two again. In most eras Cristiano would be clearly the best player in the World.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Because there is no proper argument for it. They both score an obsene number of goals but messi is obscenely good even apart from goals whereas Ronaldo simply is not. They are only comparable when it comes to stats really.

Cal?

CR7 fan
What are those situations? I am willing to bet that if u took Messi out of that Barca team they wouldn't have won half the trophies they won without him. Messi can play in different systems as well where is the evidence that he cant?
Based on what? The fact that Spain 08-12 are basically Barca minus Messi and swept everything in front of them?

What about his depressing performances for Argentina until last year? Before you mention Portugal, don't forget the fact that Argentina have plenty of other top class players, Portugal don't.

WR10

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
I wonder how much people take into account the effect their respective teams have on their 'individual performances'. Real madrid's blitz from september to early january helped Ronaldo secure his Ballon D'or, but them winning the CL also did that. Now that Barca have truly come out of their shitty early season form, Messi is leading the race.

Vialli_92

Supports
Juventus
Based on what? The fact that Spain 08-12 are basically Barca minus Messi and swept everything in front of them?

What about his depressing performances for Argentina until last year? Before you mention Portugal, don't forget the fact that Argentina have plenty of other top class players, Portugal don't.
So u are comparing international football to club football even though they couldn't be any different?

Argentina have many top class players but how many of them performed at the world cup? All their attackers flopped apart from Messi. Di Maria had one very good game i believe and struggled through out the rest of the tournament to do anything at all.

Argentina's best players were Messi, Mascherano and the defence. Doesn't really seem like Aguero, Di Maria and Higuain done anything at all.

Also Spain won because they had the best players of any nation for those number of years. Germany were really the only team that could come close to Spain player for player.

Cal?

CR7 fan
Not my intention at all, they are important..But other than these, I think Messi is a decent distance better than Ronaldo. To only have a similar goalscoring record and being more physique isnt enough to being better imo.
Other than these, Messi has better close control, passing and dribbling, it's not like Ronaldo is too shabby at any of those, just not quite as good.

Snake Plissken

Aka LTS10
Other than these, Messi has better close control, passing and dribbling, it's not like Ronaldo is too shabby at any of those, just not quite as good.
You're being generous, he's miles off Messi in this departments and not even anywhere near most of the worlds top midfielders when it comes to passing.

Cal?

CR7 fan
So u are comparing international football to club football even though they couldn't be any different?

Argentina have many top class players but how many of them performed at the world cup? All their attackers flopped apart from Messi. Di Maria had one very good game i believe and struggled through out the rest of the tournament to do anything at all.

Argentina's best players were Messi, Mascherano and the defence. Doesn't really seem like Aguero, Di Maria and Higuain done anything at all.
Spain 08-12 is as close to Barca(-Messi) as you can get, and they were just fine.

I wasn't talking about WC 2014, just that Messi has consistently struggled outside the Barca system for years and years with Argentina with numerous different managers.

Vialli_92

Supports
Juventus
Ronaldo's dribbling has been non existent this season, Ronaldo's passing is also not even close to Messi as well as his close control.

Cal?

CR7 fan
You're being generous, he's miles off Messi in this departments and not even anywhere near most of the worlds top midfielders when it comes to passing.
It wasn't you, but someone did try to compare Messi's heading ability to Ronaldo earlier. :lol:

Sammyjunn

In Smalling's pocket (as every other person)
Not only that, better dribbling, better technique, better passing, much better vision, better linkup, reacts quicker, has a more composed finish, can pass defenders easier, and most important of all. Makes players around him play better, he can play as the striker but also as the playmaker, is a lot more involved in the build up, many people think Ronaldo is better and its their right to think that, but I really cant think of other qualities in which Ronaldo excells Messi. He is possibly more two footed, have to give that.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
Ronaldo can turn a decent side into something extraordinary. Messi is unstoppable in an unstoppable side.

Cal?

CR7 fan
Not only that, better dribbling, better technique, better passing, much better vision, better linkup, reacts quicker, has a more composed finish, can pass defenders easier, and most important of all. Makes players around him play better, he can play as the striker but also as the playmaker, is a lot more involved in the build up, many people think Ronaldo is better and its their right to think that, but I really cant think of other qualities in which Ronaldo excells Messi. He is possibly more two footed, have to give that.
Really? Argentina's record in the last 8 years tell a different story...

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout

Eh...yeah, lets criticise Messi's international performances, and completely ignore Ronaldo's to suit the context of your argument.

Granted, Argentina have generally been better than Portugal, but it's hardly as if Portugal are a shit side. They regularly make competitions, and often make it past the group stages of them as well.

While I felt like some people vastly overrated Messi's World Cup performances last year and he wasn't the best player at the tournament, I do think that he performed very well overall, and Ronaldo didn't. Sorry, but if you're going to criticise Messi's international record, it's a bit daft to just say Ronaldo doesn't count.

Vialli_92

Supports
Juventus
Spain 08-12 is as close to Barca(-Messi) as you can get, and they were just fine.

I wasn't talking about WC 2014, just that Messi has consistently struggled outside the Barca system for years and years with Argentina with numerous different managers.
Comparing International football and club football is not accurate at all. They are completely different and the fact u bring this up is quite ridiculous.

Snake Plissken

Aka LTS10

The truth of Spain's success is their key players played with each other week in week out, and even then the other players that filled out their squad were world class. No other team in international football had anything like that advantage. People who actually know a bit about football and don't simply stare at numbers and trophies can figure this out.

Prime Iniesta and Xavi running the midfield, their club captain behind them. Then padded out with a world class Torres in 2008, and Villa in 2008 and 2010 when he was in my opinion the best centre forward in the world. Yeah, crazy that Spain did well, that clearly proves anyone could go into that Barca team and do what Messi does, like Zlatan, Villa, Alexis...errr wait

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout
Ronaldo can turn a decent side into something extraordinary. Messi is unstoppable in an unstoppable side.
Is there any evidence that he's more capable of doing this than Messi? Messi plays superb in an incredible side to be fair, but so does Ronaldo. His three good years for us came in years we won the title, and while Barca have often been better than Real Madrid, Ronaldo's still been consistently playing in a top world team, surrounded by other world class players.

Status
Not open for further replies.