Messi or Ronaldo

• Messi

• Ronaldo

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Cal?

CR7 fan
You talk shite. Xavi's best level had already gone when Messi had his 91 goal season. Also do me a favour and stop trying to make Portugal sound like San Marino in an attempt to paint Ronaldo in a better light.
That would be the same year Spain won the Euro?

I said Portugal would struggle to qualify for the WC, which no one is their right mind will argue with.

Bob Loblaw

Supports
Liverpool
What the hell is a "successful dribble" anyway?

Also, I don't see dribbling as being very important if it doesn't lead anywhere...
That's why no one takes you seriously.

Bob Loblaw

Supports
Liverpool
The correlation between Messi-fanboism and love of dribbling is amazingly high. I wonder why.
Because he's the best dribbler in the world? You might be onto something there Cal.

Cal?

CR7 fan
Because he's the best dribbler in the world? You might be onto something there Cal.
Indeed, only value the attributes that your man excel in and assume that is the be-all and end-all.

I'll readily admit Messi is a better dribbler than Ronaldo, yet Ronaldo is the better footballer.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
Appreciating one player more than the other doesn't mean you have to render yourself stubborn and impossible to talk to. Asking what a successful dribbling is, is a good example of that.

Cal?

CR7 fan
I'm left wondering how someone can dribble without going anywhere. Does it involve a treadmill?
So it's taken the player from point A to point B, it doesn't involve point B being a better position than point A, you can "successfully dribble" across the width of the pitch and it's basically led "nowhere" in terms of attack.
i think that the word "succesful" is key here
As above
Appreciating one player more than the other doesn't mean you have to render yourself stubborn and impossible to talk to. Asking what a successful dribbling is, is a good example of that.
As above 2

BobbyManc

Supports
Man City
Don't see why he's getting stick for asking what a 'successful dribble' is. Can anyone actually say what is the criteria for a dribble? Does it only count beating opponents head on or does it also include running with the ball and travelling without actually beating an opponent? A dribble isn't like a shot where there is an unambiguous conception. What someone considers a successful dribble might differ from person to person so I don't think there's much wrong with questioning its usefulness as a statistic.

Bob Loblaw

Supports
Liverpool
Indeed, only value the attributes that your man excel in and assume that is the be-all and end-all.

I'll readily admit Messi is a better dribbler than Ronaldo, yet Ronaldo is the better footballer.
He's not "my man". And I'd say you have it the wrong way around - people (including myself) appreciate Messi more because they love watching players dribble with the ball. We don't love dribbling because Messi is great at it.

Bob Loblaw

Supports
Liverpool
Don't see why he's getting stick for asking what a 'successful dribble' is. Can anyone actually say what is the criteria for a dribble? Does it only count beating opponents head on or does it also include running with the ball and travelling without actually beating an opponent? A dribble isn't like a shot where there is an unambiguous conception. What someone considers a successful dribble might differ from person to person so I don't think there's much wrong with questioning its usefulness as a statistic.
I was mocking him for his stupid comment on the importance of dribbling, questioning the criteria for successful dribble is fair enough.

Cal?

CR7 fan
Thank you, now brace yourself for the onslaught of the Messi faithfuls, how dare you question THE "successful dribble". ;)

Cal?

CR7 fan
He's not "my man". And I'd say you have it the wrong way around - people (including myself) appreciate Messi more because they love watching players dribble with the ball. We don't love dribbling because Messi is great at it.
Maybe that's the case for you...

Snake Plissken

Aka LTS10
That would be the same year Spain won the Euro?

I said Portugal would struggle to qualify for the WC, which no one is their right mind will argue with.
They didn't win the Euros because of Xavi. He had dipped, they won because of the abundance of talent from back to front.

You talk complete and utter shite to the point people question whether you're even being serious or just on a big wind up!

Snake Plissken

Aka LTS10
Can anyone who doesn't realise the value of dribbling in football really be taken seriously? I mean really, it such a huge part of the game, to effectively take defending players out of the attack results in your side having more of a numerical advantage in the attack. I mean if you don't get that, you're lucky if you even have a basic grasp of football, which seems to be the case with Cal here, who usually managed to debunk his own points in the same post :lol:

Cal?

CR7 fan
They didn't win the Euros because of Xavi. He had dipped, they won because of the abundance of talent from back to front.

You talk complete and utter shite to the point people question whether you're even being serious or just on a big wind up!
That would be the same Xavi who played every single game of the Euro, but they just kept him there despite the numerous options they had available, or the fact that he finished 4th in the Ballon D'Or voting, all those people know nothing.

He was "gone".

ADJUDICATOR

Supports
THE BRAVE AND THE BOLD
Being good at dribbling is one of a few signs of having a good command over a football (otherwise known as technique). In a literal sense, being better at football means having higher technique, and Messi's is the highest in top level football bar none.

Cal?

CR7 fan
Can anyone who doesn't realise the value of dribbling in football really be taken seriously? I mean really, it such a huge part of the game, to effectively take defending players out of the attack results in your side having more of a numerical advantage in the attack. I mean if you don't get that, you're lucky if you even have a basic grasp of football, which seems to be the case with Cal here, who usually managed to debunk his own points in the same post :lol:
Go look up the definition of the "successful dribble", I don't think it involves getting pass any player.

Also, pace and quick passing can do the same thing just as effectively.

Cal?

CR7 fan
Being good at dribbling is one of a few signs of having a good command over a football (otherwise known as technique). In a literal sense, being better at football means having higher technique, and Messi's is the highest in top level football bar none.
Perhaps we should include those football freestylists when discussing best footballers if that's the case, they seem to have excellent command over a football.

ADJUDICATOR

Supports
THE BRAVE AND THE BOLD
Perhaps we should include those football freestylists when discussing best footballers if that's the case, they seem to have excellent command over a football.
This discussion is primarily about who is the better player, not the better footballer (which isn't in doubt).

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
The greatest players will always be great dribblers. Brilliant dribbling ability sets players apart.

Snake Plissken

Aka LTS10
That would be the same Xavi who played every single game of the Euro, but they just kept him there despite the numerous options they had available, or the fact that he finished 4th in the Ballon D'Or voting, all those people know nothing.

He was "gone".
His best level was gone Cal?. You're like a really shit politician, you twist and squirm when you're exposed for talking crap. Xavi wasn't a standout in any way at Euro 2012.

Also go and look up the definition yourself, when you dribble you bypass an opposing player thus taking them out of the equation. You really don't have a leg to stand on. The only thing I'd ever give you credit for is you stick around for more humiliation when most people would have tapped out and walked away in shame long ago.

Marcosdeto

Guess who's back?
His best level was gone Cal?. You're like a really shit politician, you twist and squirm when you're exposed for talking crap. Xavi wasn't a standout in any way at Euro 2012.

Also go and look up the definition yourself, when you dribble you bypass an opposing player thus taking them out of the equation. You really don't have a leg to stand on. The only thing I'd ever give you credit for is you stick around for more humiliation when most people would have tapped out and walked away in shame long ago.
for Cal, xavi was great during the 2012 euros and messi was shit during the 2014 world cup

sizzling sausages

Thinks TBP is a soft tagline whore
Scout
I still think the Ghana keeper had money on Ronaldo scoring and that's why he essentially gifted him a goal.

Still my favourite Ronaldo moment of the World Cup was this

Hitting a one man wall is pretty bad. Hitting a one man wall containing a short arse like Philip Lahm is really bad.
A few years ago and there would have been a 3 or 4 man wall in front of that, even from that distance. Just shows how poor his frees have gotten in recent years.

NoWinNoFee

kietotheworld mk2
People are reading into just one aspect of football (dribbling), saying this aspect is the main area where you judge the best players and Messi is the best at it.

Ok, but how about Ronaldo in his career has shown he is a fantastic flare player, can beat defenders with pace or skill, won a Ballon d'or when he was this type of player but as now (at 29/30 years of age) adapted his game and become one of the world's most lethal finisher and won a Ballon d'Or again for being this type of player.

Rather than Ronaldo have points go against him for what he's become, should he be commended and have his legacy enhanced for winning the Ballon d'Or on 3 different occasions being 2 different types of footballer as he's proved what a compete footballer he is?

Snake Plissken

Aka LTS10
I agree, Modric was better than Xavi and Iniesta when Croatia played Spain at the Euros. Quite a game that.
for what it's worth I also think Xavi has been selected for club and country on pure reputation during the last couple of years.

Cal?

CR7 fan

Did I say anywhere that he was the standout players? He was clearly still an important player for the European champions.

When you dribble you carry the ball a certain distance, it is certainly not implied that when you dribble, you dribble pass players.

Snake Plissken

Aka LTS10
People are reading into just one aspect of football (dribbling), saying this aspect is the main area where you judge the best players and Messi is the best at it.

Ok, but how about Ronaldo in his career has shown he is a fantastic flare player, can beat defenders with pace or skill, won a Ballon d'or when he was this type of player but as now (at 29/30 years of age) adapted his game and become one of the world's most lethal finisher and won a Ballon d'Or again for being this type of player.

Rather than Ronaldo have points go against him for what he's become, should he be commended and have his legacy enhanced for winning the Ballon d'Or on 3 different occasions being 2 different types of footballer as he's proved what a compete footballer he is?
When Ronaldo won his first Ballon D'or he was much the same player he is now, albeit he did display a bit more flair. But it wasn't much different, even then I was amused at he was still labelled a winger when he spent so much of his time lurking in the penalty area.

Cal?

CR7 fan
for what it's worth I also think Xavi has been selected for club and country on pure reputation during the last couple of years.
Were we not discussing 2012? No all of a sudden you've changed the topic to 2013 and 14?

Status
Not open for further replies.