• Messi

• Ronaldo

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
All Messi needs to do to further enhance his legacy is to play really well. At this point in his career, trophies doesn't matter anymore, if he hummiliates chelsea players and barça gets knocked out anyway, people will still rate him very highly.
Trophies always matter, but being phenomenal in the CL or EC/WC and not winning it, can enhance a legacy to heights previously unseen, too. Puskas, Eusebio, Cruyff, Platini and Zico '86, Zidane ('06 k.o. stages, Brazil especially), Gascoigne, Baggio and so on and so forth have benefitted in this way.

Ronaldo continuing to perform in the CL as he does means Messi must, too. Things would be different if Ronaldo wasn't around, but he is.

Gareth williams

Supports
Everton
I think there's every chance it won't be Messi or Ronaldo this season/ the voting has changed and I wouldn't be surprised if they look for a change of winner regardless of who deserves it.

Think Messi will need at least the treble to win it. Think Ronaldo will need the champions league and a fantastic World Cup. Honestly think they'll just give it a World Cup winner. Probably end up being a random German or French player who's had a very average club season by the big 2s standards

Acheron

Supports
Real Madrid
I don’t get it when people say Ronaldo is better goalscorer too. I think they are about equal in terms of scoring goals (Messi better in the league, Ronaldo better in CL, overall about the same), with Messi better in playmaking, passing and dribbling, whereas Ronaldo is better at heading, penalty and mentality(more driven and determined). Normally most people would rate playmaking+passing+dribbling higher than heading+penalty+mentality, hence most would rate Messi being the better player.

Another way of looking at it, Messi has better influence on the game (more contribution throughout the match), whereas Ronaldo has bigger impact on winning the games (more match-winning goals to trophy success). (Hence some would rate Ronaldo being the greater player, if they rate greater impact>bigger influence)
I see it more or less that way as they're very close in terms of achievements and there's no other player in the generation that comes close to them. So it's a matter of preference in playstyle or whether you prefer the teams they've play for.

Rossa

So did Messi do a Ronaldo today? Not particularly good throughout the game, but showed glimpses of brilliance, but ends up with a vital goal, which was created by his teammates.

Pink Moon

Supports
Celtic
So did Messi do a Ronaldo today? Not particularly good throughout the game, but showed glimpses of brilliance, but ends up with a vital goal, which was created by his teammates.
Pretty much though I think there's a big difference going against a Chelsea side with 11 behind the ball to a PSG side who are throwing everything into attack and leaving themselves brutally exposed.

That and the fact Messi has to come and play in midfield too. I was thinking earlier; Messi is required to come and create the chances for his team. Ronaldo is there to put the chances away that his team creates.

It's amazing that we even compare them the way we do when you consider they're such different players.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Pretty much though I think there's a big difference going against a Chelsea side with 11 behind the ball to a PSG side who are throwing everything into attack and leaving themselves brutally exposed.

That and the fact Messi has to come and play in midfield too. I was thinking earlier; Messi is required to come and create the chances for his team. Ronaldo is there to put the chances away that his team creates.

It's amazing that we even compare them the way we do when you consider they're such different players.
They were more comparable 5 years ago. They’ve definitely moved in different directions though.

Mickfoley

Ronaldo could only dream of finishing like that.

TheRedScot

In Any Fight It’s The Guy Whose Willing To Die Who
just shows the difference in maturity in both sets of admirers. The Messi thread has hardly been bumped in months. yet every time Ronnie scores his is, like a need to keep him in the spotlight. Messi wasn't great tonight. But playing a team so deep is never easy. Best player of all time for me just infront of maradona.

soap

Directionless weirdo who like booze and ganja
Thing with Messi is, even when he's not particularly good he's still almost always pretty good, if that makes sense. Played a few really nice passes in the first half before Chelsea started to press Barca back more effectively and held onto possession when under a lot of pressure after that.

Eddy_JukeZ

This game is just more indication how Messi has far more responsibilities than Ronaldo on the field and still manages to match/better his goal output.

He has to play midfielder and striker simultaneously.

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
Ronaldo could only dream of finishing like that.
Sleep it off, will ya!

Anyway, with Messi, the whole team has to be compact and on their A game. IMO, it's not a hyperbole to say that Messi being on a team sheet makes the opposition shudder. It's whether he's on the ball or off the ball... wherever he is on the pitch, the opposition team has to be aware of him. He's a scary motherfecker, and he has been since he played us in 2008 at the latest.

Ronaldo doesn't have it. Great, great player but nowhere near Messi's ability to turn the game on it's head.

Parry Gallister

Sleep it off, will ya!

Anyway, with Messi, the whole team has to be compact and on their A game. IMO, it's not a hyperbole to say that Messi being on a team sheet makes the opposition shudder. It's whether he's on the ball or off the ball... wherever he is on the pitch, the opposition team has to be aware of him. He's a scary motherfecker, and he has been since he played us in 2008 at the latest.

Ronaldo doesn't have it. Great, great player but nowhere near Messi's ability to turn the game on it's head.
white text
All he did was score a flukey goal, could say the same thing about Willian today by that measure. Such a desperately overrated player, think people just want him to be a GOAT despite all the evidence to the contrary.

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
white text
All he did was score a flukey goal, could say the same thing about Willian today by that measure. Such a desperately overrated player, think people just want him to be a GOAT despite all the evidence to the contrary.
Too obvious. :)

Luke1995

Trophies always matter, but being phenomenal in the CL or EC/WC and not winning it, can enhance a legacy to heights previously unseen, too. Puskas, Eusebio, Cruyff, Platini and Zico '86, Zidane ('06 k.o. stages, Brazil especially), Gascoigne, Baggio and so on and so forth have benefitted in this way.

Ronaldo continuing to perform in the CL as he does means Messi must, too. Things would be different if Ronaldo wasn't around, but he is.
Of course, it's always great to the legacy to win trophies, but what I meant was, if Lionel decided to retire today and never play a game again, he would surely go down if not as the greatest, then at least in the top three of most people.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
Of course, it's always great to the legacy to win trophies, but what I meant was, if Lionel decided to retire today and never play a game again, he would surely go down if not as the greatest, then at least in the top three of most people.
If Messi retire today, Ronaldo can always claim to be the “greater” player of this generation, with his slightly more successful career on both individual (Messi will retire on 5 Ballon D’or, Ronaldo still has chance to get his 6th) European (more CL success overall), international level (Euro success)

If Messi won the CL and WC this year, I think he has better claim to be GOAT.

Luke1995

If Messi retire today, Ronaldo can always claim to be the “greater” player of this generation, with his slightly more successful career on both individual (Messi will retire on 5 Ballon D’or, Ronaldo still has chance to get his 6th) European (more CL success overall), international level (Euro success)

I don't see the WC getting away from Germany/France but Barça does have a great chance to win the CL this year I think.

About the individual thing, Messi could claim to be La Liga all time top scorer. I think the highest league topscorer other than him is Alan Shearer for the PL and Messi probably will reach 500 La Liga goals soon.

Moby

Dick
Catastrophe? Brazil have a decent chance to win the WC. If Neymar wins that, it's his.
I agree with this. Neymar has a great shot this year, Brazil are easy favourites for the world cup and he's right in his prime. He will likely give it all and bag the trophy, finally ending the decade long dominance of the big two.

The tally ending at 5-5 makes a rather fair reading.

P-Nut

fan of well-known French footballer Fabinho
I agree with this. Neymar has a great shot this year, Brazil are easy favourites for the world cup and he's right in his prime. He will likely give it all and bag the trophy, finally ending the decade long dominance of the big two.

The tally ending at 5-5 makes a rather fair reading.
Can't see it myself. It's most likely for PSG to go out as a result of Ronaldos goals and if he carries on coming up in the big moments he'll take it again.

Messi - La Liga
Ronaldo - CL
Neymar - WC

I'd expect Ronaldo to win it with Neymar in second.

VP

Or we could just watch them on the pitch and realize that Messi is comfortably better.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
Or we could just watch them on the pitch and realize that Messi is comfortably better.
Being better does not necessarily means greater. Better is more based on ability and performances, greater comes with winning and achievements. History only remembers the greatest.

Jim Beam

Gets aroused by men in low socks
This thread is a nutcase paradise.

Heard a few months ago about CR being GOAT and Brazillian Ronaldo being BOAT. Still don't know what the poet wanted to say with it. Now, we have one player who is better and one who is greater.

Moby

Dick
Can't see it myself. It's most likely for PSG to go out as a result of Ronaldos goals and if he carries on coming up in the big moments he'll take it again.

Messi - La Liga
Ronaldo - CL
Neymar - WC

I'd expect Ronaldo to win it with Neymar in second.
You are correct in saying that as far as popularity goes, Cristiano has been the top dog for a couple of years now and with a CL title, there will be a few who will blindly vote for him. He will obviously be in the running as would be Messi and perhaps he would still win, because unlike previous eras, the last two world cups haven't generated automatic Ballon D'ors. But it will be tough to look past someone who has been brilliant at the world cup, especially if he's someone as popular as Neymar.

If Ronaldo has another knockout stage like last time and ends up winning it again he might just overcome the world cup pull. He's untouchable as far as the narrative goes.

Moby

Dick
For the bookies they're not easy favourites.

I would sooner put my money on Germany, then France and Spain.
They're all good shouts, just that Brazil have the best player in their team of all the contenders (not counting Argentina or Portugal obviously). Spain is getting underrated, they have quality all across the pitch, although I have less confidence in Morata than I did a few months ago. Germany is Germany, you can count on them to go deep in any international tournament. France is loads of hype with little substance, they'll go out against one of the top contenders.

Overall, Brazil have great quality across the park and have an elite talent who can singlehandedly win games, unlike Germany or Spain. They are due a good world cup performance and it's been a while since they have had a top 3/5 talent in the world in his prime. Ronaldinho was the last one and that team underperformed massively. They've obviously looked unbeatable in qualifying, which in Conmebol isn't a breeze like Uefa, and have lost game in 18. I expect them to take this world cup by storm.

United never give up

They're all good shouts, just that Brazil have the best player in their team of all the contenders (not counting Argentina or Portugal obviously). Spain is getting underrated, they have quality all across the pitch, although I have less confidence in Morata than I did a few months ago. Germany is Germany, you can count on them to go deep in any international tournament. France is loads of hype with little substance, they'll go out against one of the top contenders.

Overall, Brazil have great quality across the park and have an elite talent who can singlehandedly win games, unlike Germany or Spain. They are due a good world cup performance and it's been a while since they have had a top 3/5 talent in the world in his prime. Ronaldinho was the last one and that team underperformed massively. They've obviously looked unbeatable in qualifying, which in Conmebol isn't a breeze like Uefa, and have lost game in 18. I expect them to take this world cup by storm.
Argentina are the tournament's dark horses - if other teams start counting them out like you have then they're in for a massive, massive shock in Russia

Even during their poor qualifying they hardly conceded goals: the defence is their, and if their attacking talent including Aguero/Dybala/Di Maria can click then they're definitely in the mix.

They also have a freakish talent in Messi

Addictive

Supports
Liverpool
A team with Neymar, firminho, Coutiniho, willian, Pauliniho, Alvez, Silva, Marcelo and Costa has got to be one of if not the favorites.

I fancy them to win the world cup this year, with Neymar, Coutiniho and Firminho being the standouts.

IFC 1905

A team with Neymar, firminho, Coutiniho, willian, Pauliniho, Alvez, Silva, Marcelo and Costa has got to be one of if not the favorites.

I fancy them to win the world cup this year, with Neymar, Coutiniho and Firminho being the standouts.

It's not only the names. It's about how good Brazil's playing atm. You can have the best names but if there's not an idea you'll go home pretty early.

harry clarke

Look at the people in this thread.

Trying to figure out who should win an individual award by analysing mainly their teams. What a fraud of an award.

Messi will always be the GOAT. W

When Ronaldo retires no one will miss him. He's a glorified goal poacher, nothing more. Goal poachers don't get regarded in the GOAT list because they're so depedant of other people setting them up. That's why we never talk about Muller in the GOAT list.

Ronaldo has no aura of amazement in football. He doesn't have what Messi, Zidane, Ronaldinho. Maradona, Cryuff, Ronaldo Luis have / had.

shamans

Thinks you can get an STD from flirting.
This 'debate' (really its just Ronaldo fans flinging shit at Messi fans and vice versa these days) comes down mainly to preference. Some people like the beauty of the game and some prefer efficiency. Ronaldo is a machine, Messi is an artist.
A goal at the end of the day is a goal, whether its dribbling an entire team or taping one in near post, they all count for the same in the stats.

As a Barca fan I'm obviously more than a little biased but I do respect Ronaldo. The guy is keeping up with the majorities GOAT through pure drive and determination. He's 33 now and still hungry to be the best, he's probably the most dedicated (and obsessed) sportsman I've ever seen.

Both Messi and Ronaldo have taken football to another level and both are the most consistent players in history. I think Messi will be regarded as the GOAT of this generation by most but Ronaldo has ran him pretty close. Ronaldo could go down as having a slightly better career but both are still playing so for now, to be continued...
Another sensible view on here :)

Status
Not open for further replies.