Mesut Özil

Vato

Watches other men wank.Supports Real.Coincidence?
Supports
Real Madrid
Silly Madrid.

Isco will probably be a better player than him in a few years (thanks for not letting City get him) though.
He's been excellent so far but you see this often in players who just joined a new team, let's hope he can keep it up because he has big shoes to fill.

Drainy

That spanish guy said that he was our first target, but said he wouldn't want to go to a city as ugly as Manchester. :lol: If you believe it's true...

The talk yesterday was that he wanted United and was waiting on us before signing for Arsenal, but we didn't want him at £42m

I'm sure it'll get played as him rejecting us over here now, purely because we're an easy target at the moment and the journos are piling on after 26 years of building up resentment at the club since Fergie didn't take their bullshit

Donaldo

Caf Vigilante
Supports
Arsenal
He's obviously going to have a massive weight of expectations coming into the Premier League. And this is something which i feel will help Cazorla and Wilshere no end. Teams have had to focus their energies on either and they knew our major creative talents would be inhibited. With Ozil in the team, it leaves them slightly freer to do their business, and I can say with conviction those two are as good as any in the league.

The striker bit, I agree with. Giroud now has a huge responsibility. I did feel that as the last season went on he went from strength to strength, which is very heartening to see.

If all else fails, we've still got Bendtner.

shaggy

Prefers blue over red, loathed by Spurs fans
We don't know how much money we offered (if we were for him). There is also the prospect of playing under Wenger, while here at United the manager is a complete unknown quality at top. Of course we United supporters hope that things will go right, but others would probably be a bit more cautious when it come to United. And then it's Manchester or London.

If it was United under SAF with the same wages as Arsenal, then likely he would have chosen us but now we don't have SAF and we don't know how much money we offered. Considering how bad we performed in this transfer window wouldn't surprise ma at all if he chose Arsenal even if we wanted him.

Doubt it. Hazard chose Chelsea even when they didn't have a manager and we had SAF

UnofficialDevil

Anti Scottish and Preoccupied with Donkeys.
I'm not anti Scottish, I just wanted Moyes out.
That was another mistake by us. At 24 year's of age he could have gone on to become a United legend playing another 8 years of world class football at least, saying we have Kagawa in that position so we dint need him is almost silly.

Vato

Watches other men wank.Supports Real.Coincidence?
Supports
Real Madrid
We don't know how much money we offered (if we were for him). There is also the prospect of playing under Wenger, while here at United the manager is a complete unknown quality at top. Of course we United supporters hope that things will go right, but others would probably be a bit more cautious when it come to United. And then it's Manchester or London.

If it was United under SAF with the same wages as Arsenal, then likely he would have chosen us but now we don't have SAF and we don't know how much money we offered. Considering how bad we performed in this transfer window wouldn't surprise ma at all if he chose Arsenal even if we wanted him.
I'd go with £25m.

I know, I know... it's getting old.

Donaldo

Caf Vigilante
Supports
Arsenal
fecking hell..start a thread on an Arsenal player and even that becomes United one.

Bape

Ozil is a wonderful player, but I'm not sure how much of an impact he would make exactly on this current Arsenal team.

If he reaches the heights of Mata of last season, would he be considered a huge success?

shaggy

Prefers blue over red, loathed by Spurs fans
Ozil is a wonderful player, but I'm not sure how much of an impact he would make exactly on this current Arsenal team.

If he reaches the heights of Mata of last season, would he be considered a huge success?

Erm, yes?

mufcwarm92

As much as he's a world class player, comfortably the best PL signing this summer, it all came at the right time for Arsenal and I just don't think it would work at any other of England's CL clubs.

Chelsea are ridiculously well stocked there and City likewise, both have done their business and are happy with their squads. Us on the other hand - we are already struggling to fit both Rooney and Kagawa in the team, and forcing all 3 in would sacrifice the width we've always loved and make all those wingers redundant. Lingard and Januzaj look very promising and it's rare you have two players of that class in the same positions pushing into the side.

As much as, in the surface, it looks like it would've been the obvious move for him - United 'lacking creativity' against Liverpool, to anyone who watches United regularly it's obvious that both our number 10s were out, and a side containing both Rooney and Kagawa could hardly be described as lacking creativity. From our desperate last minute haggling over fees, it's quite clear that money is still an issue, and it would be difficult for Moyes to justify smashing our transfer record for a player we don't need.

Obviously he's class, one of the world's best players, but we aren't and have never been the sort of club to throw massive money at clubs when players of this ilk become available. It's definitely not a myth that we were approached regarding Ozil a week or so back, many reputable journalists agreed on that and it makes sense. I'd agree that Ozil would prioritise United over Arsenal if he had the choice but we didn't show any interest, which was the perfect opportunity for Arsenal. Cracking signing for them, but all their flaws leading into the window remain serious issues.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout

Bestie07

I don't buy the manager argument, nor the London argument. We lost out on players under SAF all the time. Having a good manager is a plus, the main points in most transfers are the club involved and wages on offer. Of course, higher wages and all changes things, but if we wanted him, we'd at least have matched whatever Arsenal would have given him. But we didn't, we move on. He'll be giving us a painful reminder of it every week though.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Who cares about Young and Valencia?
This!

You don't hold a team back foe the benefit of individuals. Like I said earlier, you have to be pragmatic but not stupid.

Imagine if bayern didn't sign Goetze and Thiago because they were worried about Gustavo :lol:

amolbhatia50k

He was as good at right wing as playing centrally behind the striker IMO, amazing player. He'll get tons of assisst and single handedly get them that top 4 spot.
Just as I thought. People keep saying "but we have 20 number 10s". With ozils technical ability he can easily make that wide right attacking midfielder position completely his own. G

GE

Negative Moaning Mentalist
Ronaldo to Arsenal next summer? I'm sure 8m more than they paid for Ozil would secure the transfer.

Mister Ed

Ronaldo on Özil:

The sale of Özil is very bad news for me,' he said.
'He was the player who best knew my moves in front of goal... I'm angry about Özil leaving.'

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/fo...-Mesut-Ozil-transfer-Real-Madrid-Arsenal.html
Another reason why we should have bought Ozil. We would have had an amazing pull for Ronaldo next year. He clearly rates Ozil very high, and he says he is the best nr 10 he ever played with, and there is no one who understands his play as good as Ozil. If we would have bought Ozil, it would have been a very good reason for Ronaldo to join him next year.

amolbhatia50k

The best reason to sign Ozil was that he's an incredibly creative footballer who is a dream for any striker to pay with. Rvp would have flourished more ahead of Ozil than Rooney IMO.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
Well watching La Liga over past few years, it's always like watching Messi (support by Xavi and Iniesta) vs Ronaldo (support by Ozil)

amolbhatia50k

I'd rather us sign Ozil than Ronaldo personally given the age and cost difference.

Chabon

fecking hell..start a thread on an Arsenal player and even that becomes United one.
I wonder if it would be possible to comment on Ramsey's resurgence on here without hysterical responses about how we missed out on him...

Mister Ed

The best reason to sign Ozil was that he's an incredibly creative footballer who is a dream for any striker to pay with. Rvp would have flourished more ahead of Ozil than Rooney IMO.
Ozil is just a class of quality higher than Rooney or kagawa will ever be, defiantly in that nr 10 position.

Him and RVP would have been the best duo upfront, this club has seen for years. He is the kind of signing that would have won us the title, gave us a lift in Europe, and could have paved the way for a comeback of Ronaldo next year.

All that for just £42 million, and we said...... no ! It is going to turn out to be one of the dumbest mistakes the club took in years !

Would have happily let Kagawa or Rooney go if we brought in Ozil. A sale for one of those would have saved us £30 million or more on that transfer price. I think if they didn't get Ozil, Arsenal would have been very interested in purchasing either one from us on deadline day.

Mickeza

still gets no respect
Deepthroating information to Howard Nurse.
The best reason to sign Ozil was that he's better than every offensive player we have except Van Persie and is still only 24. The most annoying thing is the signing of Fellaini would have actually enabled us to play him on the right effectively which means we could have had an attacking trio of Nani-Rooney-Ozil behind Van Persie with a rock solid midfield supporting it. That would have been rather good, but now he's gone to Arsenal I've decided that he's massively overrated and that Ashley Young will finally realise his potential with us and become the good but not great player we all know he can be.

As for Ozil at Arsenal, he won't be enough for them to win the league this year, but they now have the first piece of the five piece jigsaw they need to do so in place, and provided he stays fit they'll get top four. The question is, will Wenger keep spending in subsequent transfer windows? Or was this merely a one off to appease the fans?

Grande

You obviously didn't see Papa Bouba Diop play very often. The wardrobe.
:-D

Øzil is one of my five favourite players in the world, and I view him as better than both rooney and kagawa at the moment. The fact that he left RM makes me wonder, though, if the weaknesses in his play are harder to rectify than Many would guess. Having Ronaldo, Bale, Ozil and Isco for three/four positions would otherwise seem a perfect bill for both club and players.

As a muppet, I'd never turn down Øzil to United, as a Moyes with a budget, a vision of a style of play and a squad, it might make more sense.

UnofficialDevil

Anti Scottish and Preoccupied with Donkeys.
I'm not anti Scottish, I just wanted Moyes out.
What a joy the caf would have been the last couple of days if we had signed him. Cant believe we miss out on such a player at such a price. And yes I consider that price a bargain considering his age. We would probably make half of it back from shirt sales.

Chabon

This whole "Arsene finally opened his chequebook!" thing is a little off; he spent less in this summer window than he did in either of the previous two. Arsenal finally discovering the virtue of one big signing rather than four medicore ones, perhaps.

Andrew~

Ozil is a great player, but Kagawa is a very similar player of equal quality. Great signing for Arsenal on any level, but we've just got to make use of the talents we have in our squad.