Mesut Ozil on a free? | Orn: Ozil signs new contract worth 350k

Do you want Ozil at Manchester United?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kapardin

Most people are underrating him, but I am willing to bet he will be better for us than Sanchez will be for City or whatever big club he goes to next. Out of the two, I actually prefer Ozil.

Oakie

I would even pay now for him 20 mil is still good value if he can play like that even 3/5 games with 2 poor as we can change it up when he is off form.

2mufc0

Everything is fair game in capitalism!
Supports
Dragon of Dojima
That was one hell of a finish.

Devil may care

He had a decent 10 minute spell where he scored tonight, but other than that he was sloppy and lethargic and just like Mata and Mkhi has no ability to protect the ball when pressed, not to mention the huge space he leaves for players to just run into as he doesn't help out his CM's. He's not what this team is missing, we have plenty of big game no shows who are weak against the press, we need someone that will allow Pogba freedom and help Matic, not another luxury that is easily bullied out of a game.

The Bloody-Nine

He had a decent 10 minute spell where he scored tonight, but other than that he was sloppy and lethargic and just like Mata and Mkhi has no ability to protect the ball when pressed, not to mention the huge space he leaves for players to just run into as he doesn't help out his CM's. He's not what this team is missing, we have plenty of big game no shows who are weak against the press, we need someone that will allow Pogba freedom and help Matic, not another luxury that is easily bullied out of a game.
No one takes any of your posts seriously and rightly so.

Canagel

I think we need to sign Ozil because he wouldn't get away with drifting in and out of games here at United. Tonight Liverpool couldn't handle him for a short spell and its clear you need someone to do the dirty work for Ozil because if you give him a free role he will do serious damage. I've also noticed that when the team is playing well Ozil plays well and everything good goes through him. However when the team is playing bad he dissappears. If Mourinho can motivate him to play for the whole 90 minutes with the same intensity then I have no doubt we should sign because he is much better than any of our options at Number 10.

limerickcitykid

There once was a kid from Toronto...
I think we need to sign Ozil because he wouldn't get away with drifting in and out of games here at United. Tonight Liverpool couldn't handle him for a short spell and its clear you need someone to do the dirty work for Ozil because if you give him a free role he will do serious damage. I've also noticed that when the team is playing well Ozil plays well and everything good goes through him. However when the team is playing bad he dissappears. If Mourinho can motivate him to play for the whole 90 minutes with the same intensity then I have no doubt we should sign because he is much better than any of our options at Number 10.
But when the team isn't playing well the vast majority of time no players will be playing well either. Look at our poor games and Pogba, Martial, Rashford or whoever also play poor when we play poor. If they were playing good then the team wouldn't really be playing poor would they. How often do you see players having a good game when the team is playing poor? Rarely. Especially for a passing playmaker type.

extincti fugax hominum

Wouldn't mind Özil. I prefer to trust Jose's opinion on him when they worked 3 years together and especially when Özil was at his best. We need a right winger more than anything else imo but signing a quality player on a free could be a too good chance to pass up.

Reactions: Penna

Irish Jet

Supports
Anyone but Rashford
That was his poorest game for a while and he still nearly won them the game. He had a 20 minute spell where he just opened Liverpool up time and again - Lacazette had a chance to play the exact same return pass he made for the goal and messed it up. People getting on his back for a bad half when he's been carrying them for weeks...Good god.

Absolute quality. The comparisons to Mata or Mkhitaryan are frankly laughable. He's a few leagues above.

Devil may care

Troll? You stated when we signed Lukaku that you weren't going to watch us anymore because we weren't going to play the kind of football that you like (the videogame kind). Are you denying it?
No, I was angry and I still think we made a mistake signing him, as for the videogame comment, are City, Barca, Real Madrid, Dortmund and PSG playing in a videogame? No, they are playing great football in real life, so that's a dumb comment. Now I'm done with this, you added nothing to this thread, you simply tried to troll me, you succeeded as I responded to your trolling, well done.

The Bloody-Nine

That's all you needed to say. I repeat, you can't be taken seriously.

'Angry' that we signed one of the most sought after young strikers in world football before Chelsea managed to do so. :lol:

Then you decided to 'take a stand' and not watch us anymore. Which lasted for what, a game? You aren't a Manchester United fan and continuing to pretend that you are is quite frankly, embarrassing.

@Devil may care

Last edited:

Zoo

I was never really a fan but he’s won me around and I think that now he would be a perfect signing for us. At Real with Jose he was one of the most devastating players around on the counter and at Arsenal he has shown more how creative he can be with his passing.

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
He is such an elegant player. He won't really be amazing game in game out but he's the level of talent where you almost expect him to produce magic out of nothing when you need it the most, which is something we are definitely missing.

red thru&thru

We could allow a player like Ozil to be “lazy” in our team. He’s definitely a luxury player but if any team can afford a luxury player, it’s us. Don’t get me wry, I’m not saying he shouldn’t defend etc etc however, he’d be to us, what Ronaldo is for Real.

Devil may care

We could allow a player like Ozil to be “lazy” in our team. He’s definitely a luxury player but if any team can afford a luxury player, it’s us. Don’t get me wry, I’m not saying he shouldn’t defend etc etc however, he’d be to us, what Ronaldo is for Real.
Pogba's our luxury though, often massively out of position leaving Matic with all of the work to do, it's why teams run through the center of us so easily, and you can afford a luxury like Ronaldo as he plays wide and scores 50 goals a season to offset his lack of work for the team.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
Bloody brilliantly again tonight, this has to be his best season in an Arsenal shirt

The Bloody-Nine

Pogba's our luxury though, often massively out of position leaving Matic with all of the work to do, it's why teams run through the center of us so easily, and you can afford a luxury like Ronaldo as he plays wide and scores 50 goals a season to offset his lack of work for the team.
:lol:

Bojan11

Ozil isn’t lazy.

He’s lazy under Wenger. But if anyone watched him for Madrid he was far from lazy because Mourinho pushes him to work hard.

Devil may care

I didn't say anything untrue, Pogba is a free roaming player, trying to get the best from him while also fielding a luxury #10 is going to make the hole we have in the middle even bigger and Matic's job even harder, we need another creative CM in there with Pogba and Matic to help feed the attack, but who will also be more positionally sound and allow Pogba his freedom, something he wont have with Ozil, it was so clear tonight with Arsenal the amount of space in there with him, Liverpool were just running through them, we need a player that balances Pogba's skillset, there's nothing outlandish about that, it's like this new obsession for Milinkovic-Savic, he's a very good CM but not someone that compliments Pogba who should be the focal point of the team as he is our best outfield by far.

I didn't say anything untrue, Pogba is a free roaming player.
You compared him to Ronaldo levels of not working for the team and called him a "luxury player" rather than a more "free roaming player" so yeah, you said stuff that is clearly untrue.

Let's just think about that again @Devil may care whilst reading the following:

This season, Pogba has registered 1.04 touches per minute; nobody else at Old Trafford breaks the 1.00 barrier. His 0.81 passes per minute is also the highest of any United player. These are both to be expected, but Pogba has also attempted shots at a rate virtually identical (one every 27.9 mins vs 28.5 mins) to Romelu Lukaku. He has completed dribbles at a virtually identical rate (one per 31.1 mins vs 31.0 mins) to Anthony Martial too. Pogba does not just bridge the gap between midfield and attack; he is the midfield and attack.
Does that sound like a "luxury player" to you?

red thru&thru

Very true. Still, we would be crazy to not get him on a free.

Dobbs

I don't think luxury is the right word to describe Pogba as he's the most important player in the team but I do get your point about him and Ozil playing together.

Jib

I rate Ozil but I rate Pogba higher...and if we want to get the best of Pogba, we don't need Ozil ( or any other #10 ) but 1 or 2 CM to play in a midfield 3.

Last edited:

vangagal

Ozil if play on song is one of the best no.10 in games but thats rarely the ocassion nowadays. Many times he caught in moments where he was invisibe or lazy not to make himself open to a pass. The talent is there to see, he can pick up an unbelievable pass out of nowhere. In this United team, he's a perfect fir to play behind Lukaku or whoever the striker. He can benefit from Martial's run through left or Lukaku movement at the center.

He and Sanchez need to move on from Arsenal. They are getting nowhere there. With clubs with such tittle aspirations like United or City i cant help but feeling they will rediscover their from and pick up from there. In Ozil case, i think he just needs motivation and believe that he part of team that chasing the tittle. Mourinho is the manager where he played his best years in Madrid, he will tempted to play for Jose again.

chb23

Come on guys, be serious, ozil picking out passes? That requires our players to make runs.... :lol:

Here's what will happen

Ozil will get the ball, look up, and he will see 2 players to the wings just slightly more forward than him, staring at him. He will also see lukaku facing him and jogging towards him.

No??

chb23

Oh and if we are in the final third as a team he will see someone on the left wing, right wing, middle, all in a line, standing there staring at him.

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
Ozil isn’t lazy.

He’s lazy under Wenger. But if anyone watched him for Madrid he was far from lazy because Mourinho pushes him to work hard.
pretty much summed up in a few words.

Devil may care

You compared him to Ronaldo levels of not working for the team and called him a "luxury player" rather than a more "free roaming player" so yeah, you said stuff that is clearly untrue.

Let's just think about that again @Devil may care whilst reading the following:

Does that sound like a "luxury player" to you?
Ok then, that's so petty, you knew what I meant, free'd up of the constraints of some responsibilities when it comes to the defensive side of things, I said more than once that Pogba tries his best effort wise but he does get caught out over and over miles away from Matic because he's not disciplined, and that is what we should encourage by freeing him up more, I was never being negative about Pogba, the opposite.

I don't think luxury is the right word to describe Pogba as he's the most important player in the team but I do get your point about him and Ozil playing together.
Thank you, it was an incorrect term, I was meaning it in the way Conte has free'd up Hazard or how City give De Bruyne a degree of freedom while Silva is the orchestrator and Frenandinho the steel, it's not about workrate but about alieviating some of the discipline, letting the horse run free to use Jose's terminology, and I think that is part of the reason Lingard is getting in, not only has he scored 2 or 3 goals but he drops in and helps Matic the best he can when Pogba is adrift..

I rate Ozil but I rate Pogba higher...and if we want to get the best of Pogba, we don't need Ozil ( or any other #10 ) but 1 or 2 CM to play in a midfield 3.
That's what I think as well, it's not about slating Ozil, it's about wanting to accentuate Pogba and give him the extra freedom to focus on his biggest assets.

Devil may care

The only way I could see Ozil working is if Jose is going to use him as he did at Real Madrid sometimes, in the same way he uses Mata or how Eriksen plays at Spurs.

Which would explain why we are still heavily linked to CM's like Milinkovic-Savic and Goretzka, as they would go in that other #8 slot, neither would come to be rotation players. It might also explain Malcom who'd be a roation option if he's as cheap as suggested.

OverratedOpinion

I have not been following this, what are the chances of this happening?

I rate Ozil and would be happy to have him but wasn't he wanting 350k a week?

Mcking

Throughout his career? Yes. At Real? Easily. At Arsenal? No way. Even in this match where people are saying he played well, he gave the ball away countless times and had probably 4-5 good moments. It's unfair to compare Ozil's past self when he hasn't been at that level consistently for years, and then forgetting what Mikhi was like at Dortmund at the same time.
Nonsense.

Status
Not open for further replies.