g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

Mesut Ozil on a free? | Orn: Ozil signs new contract worth 350k

Do you want Ozil at Manchester United?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

prath92

He ain’t signing a contract. What makes people think he will sign one now after Sanchez left and with about 3 months or so left? He is just doing good PR giving the impression of signing a new contract.

SATA

He ain’t signing a contract. What makes people think he will sign one now after Sanchez left and with about 3 months or so left? He is just doing good PR giving the impression of signing a new contract.
Yeah he won't leave it till this late if he's intent on signing a new one. He's just counting down his days over there and then go somewhere else, or probably join his Chilean mate here

el3mel

Yeah he won't leave it till this late if he's intent on signing a new one. He's just counting down his days over there and then go somewhere else, or probably join his Chilean mate here
He's leaving all his options open. He'll keep delaying any contract extension but won't refuse it, so that he sees if a top team is going for him in summer so he moves for free, or no one is interested so he extends with Arsenal.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
I think he's stringing Arsenal along.
Arsenal have to follow cause it's not like they can get money for him.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
I think he's stringing Arsenal along.
Arsenal have to follow cause it's not like they can get money for him.
I think we’ll get him. Probably played along with the contract negotiations so it didn’t screw up the Sanchez transfer. I doubt Arsenal would have gone along with that deal if they knew we were also signing Ozil on a free in a few months time.

Member 5225

My only inkling is he seems to love living in London. Chelski or dare I say it, Spurs perhaps?!

ti vu

My only inkling is he seems to love living in London. Chelski or dare I say it, Spurs perhaps?!
Tottenham... Really? Why getting pay cut when pretty much stay at similar level (winning nothing/not even FA Cup)?

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
If we can get him our squad will be scarily good for a few years at least. He's an excellent footballer and he will be universally praised once he moves to a better team.

Fer

I woudn't say no to Ozil for free. However, I prefer to sign a player like SMS, so we can play 433.

Do you think Ozil is able to play in a midfield of 3 with Pogba and Matic?

red thru&thru

I woudn't say no to Ozil for free. However, I prefer to sign a player like SMS, so we can play 433.

Hahhaa, Ozil could never player in a 3. I’d rather play Lukaku there rather than Ozil.

kthanksbye

Sell Mata and buy Ozil.I don't think anybody can match the wages we can offer.
I agree with this, we can use the Mata money to buy a wide player, someone like Mahrez, would give us serious depth in our front 3 or 4, whatever we decide to play.

Imagine something like this.

.................... Lukaku.................
Sanchez.........Ozil........Mahrez
............... Pogba.....Matic.........
.......................Back5.................

We'll totally wipe the floor with near 16 PL teams, home or away doesn't matter.

Important is to spend in two correct midfielders who can give us depth there.

Last edited:

rotherham_red

Getting Ozil wouldn't mean a midfielder like SMS would be off the agenda. If we play the 4-3-3, he would take Mata's role in the team. If 4-2-3-1, he'd be the obvious and standout choice for the 10 position.

It just makes too much sense for us not to go for him, especially for free. We have an obvious need for him. Him and Jose have a positive history together, he's fully adapted to the league and he needs one last move to a massive club for his own reputation and legacy.

It's going to be a case of either him settling for London, or us not wanting him if he doesn't come in the summer, IMO.

Revan

Assumptionman
I was such a Welbeck fanboy back in the day, but it honestly makes me scared for the human race when people would swap him for Rashford.
Funny thing is that Rashford has scored juts a single goal less than Welbeck did for United, in 36 less matches, playing in a weaker team, while being younger.

Let's swap them.

Eire Red United

Yep if he had any intention of signing, he’d have done it last summer at the latest. Wenger should be looking at another swap deal of some sort.

G27

Our three last big signings are all from Premier League rivals, Lukaku, Matic and Sanchez. I would not be surprised if Mourinho wants more players who already know the league and doesn't need a season or two to get used to it, like Lindelof and Mkhitaryan. So Özil might sign for us this summer. Other creative players that might sign for us is Mahrez or Eriksen.

ZAGREB RED

Our three last big signings are all from Premier League rivals, Lukaku, Matic and Sanchez. I would not be surprised if Mourinho wants more players who already know the league and doesn't need a season or two to get used to it, like Lindelof and Mkhitaryan. So Özil might sign for us this summer. Other creative players that might sign for us is Mahrez or Eriksen.
I do actually think that of the three possible names you have mentioned, Eriksen is the best player on current form, although Ozil being on a free transfer and also the fact he did well under Mourinho at Real might be the deciding factor.

G27

I do actually think that of the three possible names you have mentioned, Eriksen is the best player on current form, although Ozil being on a free transfer and also the fact he did well under Mourinho at Real might be the deciding factor.
I agree. I would love to see Eriksen at United. However, if Özil is free I think we should get him instead. Eriksen would be £100 + million, and it would not be financially wise when you could be getting a similar star player for free.

Member 5225

Playing in the Champions League means nothing unless a team wins it. We have had players leave us year after year despite us being in the CL for nearly 2 decades.
Huh? Where did you get that conclusion. The list of players that have moved because they ‘want to play in the CL’ is rather large from my memory. I am sure they don’t all think they’re going to win it!

ThierryHenry14

Supports
Arsenal
Huh? Where did you get that conclusion. The list of players that have moved because they ‘want to play in the CL’ is rather large from my memory. I am sure they don’t all think they’re going to win it!
First the club needs to satisfy the player on the financial front, then on the football side. At the moment Arsenal can't or is unwilling to offer a contract to ozil that can match both Manchester clubs or Chelsea. On the footballing side Arsenal doesn't have a team that is able to compete for ANY trophy as well. So here you go. I agree though CL or not is irrelevant.

Ikon

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
Yep if he had any intention of signing, he’d have done it last summer at the latest. Wenger should be looking at another swap deal of some sort.
Too late..! Arsenal have blown their biscuits on this one.
There is only one week remaining of the January window, not enough time to arrange a swap, although they could perhaps sell him for a nominal fee, just to get something for him.
Ozil is incredibly unlikely to make a U turn and sign a new deal, and with the window slamming shut in one week, Arsenal can say farewell to Ozil and any hope of negotiating a solution as they did with Sanchez.
Ozil on a FREEBIE...? Absolute no brainer...!! Thank you very much Arsene :devil:

Mourinho isn't the most patient of managers, and I'm sure you are right that he is frustrated with players taking a long settling in period.
What's the odds on making a move for either Kante or Dele Ali..? :lol:

Member 5225

First the club needs to satisfy the player on the financial front, then on the football side. At the moment Arsenal can't or is unwilling to offer a contract to ozil that can match both Manchester clubs or Chelsea. On the footballing side Arsenal doesn't have a team that is able to compete for ANY trophy as well. So here you go. I agree though CL or not is irrelevant.
Yes we are agreed. CL is a component, a significant one, but still only a component in decision making.

KingMinger22

City >>> United. Moaning twat
We can’t miss this opportunity. I think we will get him.

Add a right back and a CM, shift some deadwood.

Looking good.

gr3yham3

Yeh I got a "feeling" he would be too

And not because I already know what he's like under Jose Mourinho :lol:
Great video and shows what he can do under Jose. Never understood why people say he is "slow and lazy".

breakout67

Supports
Man City
Great video and shows what he can do under Jose. Never understood why people say he is "slow and lazy".
Ozil is anything except slow and Lazy; he has sublime movement off the ball and very efficient at pressing.

He is only 'slow and lazy' for Arsenal likely because that is what he instructed to do by Wenger; he is not given any defensive responsibilities.

Ozil at Real Madrid and Germany is one of the best playmakers in football.

Yuval

I agree with this, we can use the Mata money to buy a wide player, someone like Mahrez, would give us serious depth in our front 3 or 4, whatever we decide to play.

Imagine something like this.

.................... Lukaku.................
Sanchez.........Ozil........Mahrez
............... Pogba.....Matic.........
.......................Back5.................

We'll totally wipe the floor with near 16 PL teams, home or away doesn't matter.

Important is to spend in two correct midfielders who can give us death there.
Death??

Eire Red United

Too late..! Arsenal have blown their biscuits on this one.
There is only one week remaining of the January window, not enough time to arrange a swap, although they could perhaps sell him for a nominal fee, just to get something for him.
Ozil is incredibly unlikely to make a U turn and sign a new deal, and with the window slamming shut in one week, Arsenal can say farewell to Ozil and any hope of negotiating a solution as they did with Sanchez.
Ozil on a FREEBIE...? Absolute no brainer...!! Thank you very much Arsene :devil:

Mourinho isn't the most patient of managers, and I'm sure you are right that he is frustrated with players taking a long settling in period.
What's the odds on making a move for either Kante or Dele Ali..? :lol:
Please no.. only players I’d be mad to take from London would be Kante, Kane and Ozil on a free.

Member 5225

Would people want us to pay c. £35m to get him now or rather wait for free transfer in summer?
I’m torn. Suppose summer would be smarter and less controversial...

Sp00ks11

Why is everyone confident we will get him in the summer? He was very good under Mourinho at Real, but over at Arsenal he has been a bit meh, although obviously a lot better recently. I would like him to come on a free as he is definitely better than Lingard and probably Mata aswell.

Status
Not open for further replies.