Gaming Metal Gear Solid 5: The Phantom Pain | Use Spoiler Tags for now

Organic Potatoes

Supports
Colorado Rapids
That gave me chills, brilliantly done. I'd pay silly money for a remake in that quality with the original soundtrack.
For all the crap re-treads we’ve had this generation, we still don’t have a remastered MGS or Mass Effect 1. Both of which would do brilliantly, you’d think.

Ainu

10-11 year old me could never mash the buttons fast enough during the torture sequence. Meryl always died.

It still torments me...
At least you got the stealth suit for your trouble. Whenever I'd start a new save slot I'd dread the Meryl death playthrough so I usually did it first to get it out of the way. MGS 4 utterly ruined her character though, turning her into an annoying bitch and giving her one of the most random and cringeworthy ending sequences I've ever seen. Just a clusterfeck of game writing.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
10-11 year old me could never mash the buttons fast enough during the torture sequence. Meryl always died.

It still torments me...
I actually bought a PSX and the game just for that part, it fecking annoyed me a looooong time
At least you got the stealth suit for your trouble. Whenever I'd start a new save slot I'd dread the Meryl death playthrough so I usually did it first to get it out of the way. MGS 4 utterly ruined her character though, turning her into an annoying bitch and giving her one of the most random and cringeworthy ending sequences I've ever seen. Just a clusterfeck of game writing.
That is exactly the word I used to describe the whole game :lol:

I never really could finish this game because it just bored me at some point. I know it's a massive game but something was truly off about it. I don't regret not playing it even after watching the last few missions on youtube.

MGS3, then MGS and then MGS2 for me. MGS4 was a clusterfeck

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
Everyone was right, it does get so tedious after a while. It was basically just doing the same thing over and over and I didn't really care about the story. Enjoyed it until that point though.

Shane88

Actually Nostradamus
I won't have a bad word said about MGS4. I adore it, clusterfeckery and all.

First two acts are brilliant gameplay-wise, Cyborg Raiden, returning to Shadow Moses, Rex vs Ray, Ocelot being absurdly cheesy and the final fight between Snake and Liquid Ocelot is amazing. Then over an hour long cutscene ending with Big Boss popping up.

Ainu

That is exactly the word I used to describe the whole game :lol:
It's the only one of the "storied" MGS games (I don't count V among them, that's a completely different game) I haven't replayed a single time, while I've replayed 1-3 loads and loads of times. I just want to forget it exists. Its not part of my Solid Snake's canon, that's for damn certain.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
It's the only one of the "storied" MGS games (I don't count V among them, that's a completely different game) I haven't replayed a single time, while I've replayed 1-3 loads and loads of times. I just want to forget it exists. Its not part of my Solid Snake's canon, that's for damn certain.
I only replayed it once I think. It's a shame because I liked the camouflage suit and returning to Shadow Moses was great. Too much cutscenes drove me insane though. I think they had great story in the first 3 games but how they wrapped up the whole "Philosophers" storyline, it was just weird to me.

Ainu

I only replayed it once I think. It's a shame because I liked the camouflage suit and returning to Shadow Moses was great. Too much cutscenes drove me insane though. I think they had great story in the first 3 games but how they wrapped up the whole "Philosophers" storyline, it was just weird to me.
It had a lot of great elements and I was initially blown away by its early stages. The return to Shadow Moses was a moment of pure, nostalgic brilliance. When The Best Is Yet To Come starts playing in the background as you reach the helipad and then those Codec dialogue flashbacks, goosebumps all over. If I ever replay MGS4, it would be just to relive that moment.

Sweet Square

. MGS 4 utterly ruined her character though, turning her into an annoying bitch and giving her one of the most random and cringeworthy ending sequences I've ever seen. Just a clusterfeck of game writing.
I've always thought of Kojima as someone with the vision of Tarantino but with the writing skill of Ron Jeremy.

esmufc07

Brad
Scout
I'm due a replay of them all soon. Must have been 3 years at least since I played them (bar 5, which I never finished and don't consider to be part of the main series).

markelphick

It still torments me...
I got the hang of it eventually. Has anyone else ever skipped using the Ketchup trick to escape and sit through another couple of torture sessions before Ninja finally sliced the prison door open with his sword?
That was quite fun :cool:

Vidyoyo

The bad "V"
I kind of admire IV for being so unbelievably OTT. It's so cheesy that it kinda works.

V is a poor game by comparison. It doesn't bring any new ideas to the table and I feel like the open world sandbox experience is too familiar for most gamers.

Irwin99

It wasn’t?
There was meant to be another Eli mission with 'Big Boss' recovering salalan....whatever that metal gear prototype thingy was called. As it ends in the released version of the game that part of the story is never actually explained as to what happens with Liquid,

I think there are clips on youtube of the cutscenes that were going to be used for that mission.

evil_geko

This game might be "unfinished" but I lilke it much more than MGS4, replayed it 4 times now, MGS4 is the only MGS I haven't replayed even once.

Berbasbullet

Too Boring For A Funny Tagline
There was meant to be another Eli mission with 'Big Boss' recovering salalan....whatever that metal gear prototype thingy was called. As it ends in the released version of the game that part of the story is never actually explained as to what happens with Liquid,

I think there are clips on youtube of the cutscenes that were going to be used for that mission.
Oh! I don’t think I ever got around to finishing this game you know. Which is odd as I remember it being brilliant.

I thought the story was very off though but fun gameplay!

Woodzy

Hated the rehashed missions in Act 3. Completely put me off the game and just watched the remaining cutscenes on YouTube.

With that said, loved the game.

BusbyMalone

First Man Falling
In terms of just pure gameplay and fun, this is one of the best games made imo. Absolutely loved it when it came out. Was going to Platinum it, but couldn't be arsed catching all the animals.

Second favourite Metal Gear game after 2.

Irwin99

This game might be "unfinished" but I lilke it much more than MGS4, replayed it 4 times now, MGS4 is the only MGS I haven't replayed even once.
I played MGS4 again a year or so back and tried for the platinum on the PS3 and the game is still pretty horrible in places. Gameplay wise the first two acts are fun but the storytelling and development of the characters are horrendous. I'm kind of glad there's more criticism of MGS 4 nowadays as it was ridiculously overpraised back in the day. Trying to get through the cutscenes in replays is just interminable :mad:

MGS 5 was fun to play at least.

2mufc0

Everything is fair game in capitalism!
Supports
Dragon of Dojima
I played MGS4 again a year or so back and tried for the platinum on the PS3 and the game is still pretty horrible in places. Gameplay wise the first two acts are fun but the storytelling and development of the characters are horrendous. I'm kind of glad there's more criticism of MGS 4 nowadays as it was ridiculously overpraised back in the day. Trying to get through the cutscenes in replays is just interminable :mad:

MGS 5 was fun to play at least.
It wasn't a bad game, the boss fight with Liquid Ocelot was one of the best I've ever played, the microwave scene was amazing too. In terms of MG games I agree there are better ones.

el3mel

I miss the stealth mechanics in this game. Still the best stealth mechanics I have ever played in any video game imo.

Irwin99

I'm playing this again after 3 years. Did anyone ever achieve the platinum? I've done 85% according to my save but some of the remaining objectives look ridiculously tough.

Maroon Lucifer

I picked this up for 33 danish kroner ($4) on PSN if anyone is interested.
I haven 't played MGS since MGS 2 came out. Can't wait to get started over the holidays

Sweet Square

I picked this up for 33 danish kroner ($4) on PSN if anyone is interested.
I haven 't played MGS since MGS 2 came out. Can't wait to get started over the holidays
In terms of gameplay it’s the best one in the series by miles(Although personally it’s my favourite one story wise as well).

2mufc0

Supports
Dragon of Dojima
The story is also short (for MGS standard) imo I think it was rushed and Kojima pretty much said as much. So if you like the feel of the game I would spend time exploring and just having fun and not rushing the story.

AaronRedDevil

Have a love/hate thing with this game. Addictive gameplay that I've platinum. It's just really fun sneaking around headshotting everything. There were some brilliant moments in this game that was really epic. But it seems to lack everything that makes it a metal gear game. Barely a story, no codec, very little cutscenes and no fecking boss battles barring one. The SKULLS were shite and The burning man Volgin was a massive missed opportunity. Plus I heard Chico was supposed to be in it and when you see what he looks like, my god what a story this could have been. Venom barely spoke. I get that Kojima got canned, but he had years and years to make this game. I remember getting very excited when Chapter 2 popped up and it was all just repeat missions. Broke my damn heart the way this game ended. I was never this hyped for a game since it's the series that got me into gaming.

Plus ground Zero was awesome which makes this all the worse

Last edited:

2mufc0

Supports
Dragon of Dojima
Spoil this sh*t for the lad above!

Last edited:

Woodzy

Playing this again. What a game, gameplay is unmatched to this day.

Surprised how much stick it gets for lack of story, compared to the praise of BotW in which the story is that you just feck about for 100 hours.

2mufc0

Supports
Dragon of Dojima
Agree it's an underrated game, sunk many hours into it.