Gaming Metal Gear Solid 5: The Phantom Pain | Use Spoiler Tags for now

2mufc0

Everything is fair game in capitalism!
Supports
Dragon of Dojima
Are you sure you don't mean Ground Zeroes? Even if you limit yourself to the story missions, Phantom Pain is pretty long. Throw in all the extras and it becomes absurdly long.
Yeah i think i am confusing it with GZ.

I might play this again as i recall the story was good it was just the side missions and recruiting soldiers got boring.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
Need to get back to this at some point. Sadly I don't think it touches the first 4 Metal Gears.
Nothing will ever beat the fun I had playing MGS2. Making guards freeze and shooting them in the dick :lol:

esmufc07

Brad
Scout
Nothing will ever beat the fun I had playing MGS2. Making guards freeze and shooting them in the dick :lol:
:lol: Great fun.

MGS2 is so underrated, it's often put behind 1 and 3 but it's up there with them both.

Been a few years now since I've played them, might have to go through them all before I go back to Uni.

Sweet Square

This could be complete bollocks but it's a metal gear game so who knows but I've heard if you do this in MG5 then the soviets will start sending out more women soldiers.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff

MGS2 is so underrated, it's often put behind 1 and 3 but it's up there with them both.

Been a few years now since I've played them, might have to go through them all before I go back to Uni.
I remember playing MGS2 again a few years ago and being shocked at how shit the controls were. I think it was before the left stick move and right stick look scheme was universal.

Zen

Might as well finally get round to V then .... cheap as chips, the joys of not getting excited for release day gaming!

Is the HD remaster backward compat yet as I definitely downloaded it on Xbox 360, but probably got lost in the shuffle when I got a Xbox One...

Redplane

( . Y . ) planned for Christmas
Might as well finally get round to V then .... cheap as chips, the joys of not getting excited for release day gaming!

Is the HD remaster backward compat yet as I definitely downloaded it on Xbox 360, but probably got lost in the shuffle when I got a Xbox One...
Got it today on that sale as well. Never played it, but people keep raving about it. Now to just find the time to actually play it.

Ainu

It has the most convoluted and nonsensical plot in the entire series though, with a baffling final section. MGS4 has the same issue to an extent. Somehow, despite having their own share of silliness, MGS1 and 3 just make more sense and have far more iconic boss battles as well. It's close between those two as the best in the series.

.Rossi

ever get that feeling of déjà vu?
It has the most convoluted and nonsensical plot in the entire series though, with a baffling final section. MGS4 has the same issue to an extent. Somehow, despite having their own share of silliness, MGS1 and 3 just make more sense and have far more iconic boss battles as well. It's close between those two as the best in the series.
4 is definitely the most emotional and completes the story perfectly. Not too far into TPP yet.

The return to Shadow Moses in 4 was off the chart and hit me a lot more than I thought something like that ever could

Tough to pick between 1 and 3. In fact, you can't really

)_(

MGSV would've been great if it was finished. Konami is a terrible company but tbf, Kojima could've easily focussed on actually finishing the main missions/ skipped some of the side missions.
I still enjoyed playing it a lot though! Even with it being unfinished, you really can't complain about playtime.

4 is definitely the most emotional and completes the story perfectly. Not too far into TPP yet.

The return to Shadow Moses in 4 was off the chart and hit me a lot more than I thought something like that ever could

Tough to pick between 1 and 3. In fact, you can't really
Agree with what you said about 4. I would probably pick 1 over 3 because that's where it all started. I enjoy 4 because there's such variety and it being such an emotional experience. Just so much nostalgia in that game, tying every previous game together. 5 didn't manage to achieve that though it also had some good moments. It was just a lot more detached to me.

I know people love the sniperbattle in three but I never had the patience for it, and apparently also don't have the eyes for it cause I have a terrible time spotting him. Personally, I like sneaking around buildings more than I do sneaking around nature but I do really enjoy 3 despite that. It probably has the best story and it's interesting to see how the guy we know as the bad guy from previous installments (even if he was only really present in the background on the ps games) started out similarly as Snake. That's also what I appreciated about 5, to see how it's all just a continuous circle of manipulations and how differently Snake and Big Boss responded to it. Obviously it's all a bit convoluted and who even knows what they're talking about half the time (especially in 4) but I still enjoy it for what it is.

2mufc0

Everything is fair game in capitalism!
Supports
Dragon of Dojima
3 is my favourite, it's the only game i completed multiple times, the gameplay, story and environments were perfection for me. I also actually prefer BB character over SS too.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
I never really could finish this game because it just bored me at some point. I know it's a massive game but something was truly off about it. I don't regret not playing it even after watching the last few missions on youtube.

MGS3, then MGS and then MGS2 for me. MGS4 was a clusterfeck

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
MG3 reduced me into tears. Its the best MG in all the series followed by MG1. MG2 is decent same as MG4. The rest are tripe.

Vidyoyo

The bad "V"
I like MGS2 the best but that's because it's chock full of speculative postmodern theory and that's my jam.

I believe the series was originally supposed to end there and that Kojima wasn't initially involved in 3 but they brought him in and kept bringing him back. I don't think his heart was truly in it and that's why the quality tailed off as the series went on.

Although it seems he has a genuine sense of thrill about game-designing again based on P.T. and Death Stranding, which is nice.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
Kojima started his own company after Konami were dicks right? Is he working on a new MGS?

Shane88

Actually Nostradamus
Kojima started his own company after Konami were dicks right? Is he working on a new MGS?
He's working on Death Stranding, which is....something.

There has been 4 trailers released over the last 2 years.

First 3...

4th...

Feck knows what it is.

Last edited:

markelphick

I and III were the best. I love how there was no radar so you had to literally scout the area with binoculars to locate enemy's. Proper old school and the story was amazing and emotional, just a pure joy of a game. There will never be another.

Big Andy

Bloke
I never really could finish this game because it just bored me at some point. I know it's a massive game but something was truly off about it. I don't regret not playing it even after watching the last few missions on youtube.

MGS3, then MGS and then MGS2 for me. MGS4 was a clusterfeck
I got annoyed with having to replay missions I'd already done, but without killing anyone...feck that, I want more missions...

There was something really good about Fultoning a bear though...

Redplane

( . Y . ) planned for Christmas
Started playing this a big last night... Well, playing isn't really true because holy shit what a long ass intro before you can really do much. I thought I was home clear and ready to tear shit up but then when you finally get to move you can't really.. Well.. move. Great cinematic and stunning gfx so far at max settings tho.

Big Andy

Bloke
Started playing this a big last night... Well, playing isn't really true because holy shit what a long ass intro before you can really do much. I thought I was home clear and ready to tear shit up but then when you finally get to move you can't really.. Well.. move. Great cinematic and stunning gfx so far at max settings tho.
The first bit on the horse took me fecking ages to get past...

Ainu

I like MGS2 the best but that's because it's chock full of speculative postmodern theory and that's my jam.

I believe the series was originally supposed to end there and that Kojima wasn't initially involved in 3 but they brought him in and kept bringing him back. I don't think his heart was truly in it and that's why the quality tailed off as the series went on.

Although it seems he has a genuine sense of thrill about game-designing again based on P.T. and Death Stranding, which is nice.
I certainly wouldn't say his heart wasn't in it for MGS3, as for many people (myself included), it's the pinnacle of the series. It's also the one with the most emotional impact. That entire sequence starting at the final boss fight in the white field of flowers right up to the credits is jaw dropping and heartbreaking. It was Kojima at his absolute best, keeping things relatively simple and focussing on the characters rather than the absurd behind-the-scenes politics. That game was clearly the work of an incredibly passionate and dedicated team (with Kojima as direct even more so of course).

He sort of started losing the plot after that though.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
Traded in some games and got this for free basically. Started last night.

Opening sequence was a bit random. I was very confused when it asked me to change my character's appearance as that's not really a MGS game but then I carried on looking like normal Snake? I'm guessing that means something later, I dunno. Weird fire monster is strange.

I got to Afghanistan and took out a couple guards but then left it at that. Tried taking one out silently from behind and instead just did a chop which made him turn around?

swooshboy

Band of Brothers
Traded in some games and got this for free basically. Started last night.

Opening sequence was a bit random. I was very confused when it asked me to change my character's appearance as that's not really a MGS game but then I carried on looking like normal Snake? I'm guessing that means something later, I dunno. Weird fire monster is strange.

I got to Afghanistan and took out a couple guards but then left it at that. Tried taking one out silently from behind and instead just did a chop which made him turn around?
To subdue them when creeping up I think you have to hold R2 - you then have the options of interrogating, knocking unconscious or killing, if memory serves me correct.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
This is good fun once you get to grips with it. Very steep learning curve but now I’m enjoying upgrading all my base facilities and fultoning entire outposts of guards :lol:

matherto

ask me about our 50% off sale!
I'm a huge Metal Gear fan but I've had MGSV for two years now and still haven't bothered to play it.

I have no clue how the story fits in with 1-4 and don't like David Hayter not being Snake. Don't have a clue how it's set in the 1970's yet it's gone all Advanced Warfare either.

I remember being so satisfied playing MGS4 and thinking as sad as it is that it finished the story, it's a good ending and I get it and that's fine. I still play it from time to time and have all but platinumed it aside from doing it on the hardest difficulty with no alerts, etc to get the final bit of music but V just leaves me confused and lost. Especially with all the shit that went down between Kojima and Konami which I still have no idea what happened.

Sweet Square

I'm a huge Metal Gear fan but I've had MGSV for two years now and still haven't bothered to play it.

I have no clue how the story fits in with 1-4 and don't like David Hayter not being Snake. Don't have a clue how it's set in the 1970's yet it's gone all Advanced Warfare either.

I remember being so satisfied playing MGS4 and thinking as sad as it is that it finished the story, it's a good ending and I get it and that's fine. I still play it from time to time and have all but platinumed it aside from doing it on the hardest difficulty with no alerts, etc to get the final bit of music but V just leaves me confused and lost. Especially with all the shit that went down between Kojima and Konami which I still have no idea what happened.
I think it's a common theme with 5. Most people who like Metal Gear for story seems to dislike or just not care about this game. For me MGSV is by far the best out of the lot as I'm someone who can't stand the story of metal gear or Kojima's ''writing''. Less talky talk and more kidnapping soviets is my ideal kojima game.

Gambit

Desperately wants to be a Muppet
Someone has redone the intro of mgs 1 with the unreal engine.

)_(

It starts in 1984. I get the thing about advanced warfare but they're releasing a game in 2015, so you need to give people more to work with than in past games which maybe had fewer posibilities. And you get used to Hayter not voicing the main character in about 2 minutes, especially since he doesn't talk a lot anyway. It retcons some things but I think all MGS games do that in some way. I do think it's interesting that you're actually the person who was the "bad guy" in the original metal gear series. Of course this was the case in 3 as well but in 3 Naked Snake is just as much a pawn as Solid Snake was in the other games whereas Big Boss choses to go in a different direction than Snake does after finding out about this.

It's definitely very different than other MGS games but as someone who's played all the games on PS I still enjoyed playing it. Just don't go in expecting something similar to those games. It's still very dissapointing that it kinda misses an ending but I put a ton of hours into the game(a lot more than the previous mgs games) and enjoyed 95% of it. The side missions did become repetitive and I wished that Kojima had focussed on finishing up the main story instead of making so many side missions but it is what is is. To me, 4 is the ending of the saga but I can appreciate 5 for what it is. It still has some of Kojima's ridiculous storytelling as in the previous games, there's the characters you love or hate from previous game in completely different circumstances and some "new" characters that you come to love or hate and it definitely has some epic moments.