Gaming Metal Gear Solid 5: The Phantom Pain | Use Spoiler Tags for now

Ainu

One thing I miss from the old games were those codec conversations you had where Snake and his friends would talk about stuff like the guns he had equipped, or other topics like nukes, history of warfare, little random facts etc.
They've pretty much been replaced with cassette tapes largely featuring monologues or conversations between other characters, with minimal Big Boss input. Far from a worthy replacement but there you go. The radio banter in MGS3 was awesome. Big Boss falling asleep during one of Para-Medic's lectures is a classic.

Organic Potatoes

Supports
Colorado Rapids
I don't think i'm far from Africa. It has been mentioned just after I rescued the doctor but I still have lots to do in Afghanistan.
I opened this thread thinking I was in the current events forum for some reason viewing an Afghanistan or ISIS thread and was really impressed.

Now, not so much. But move forward knowing I held you in the highest esteem for about 30 seconds.

Attila

Supports
Trad Bricks
I opened this thread thinking I was in the current events forum for some reason viewing an Afghanistan or ISIS thread and was really impressed.

Now, not so much. But move forward knowing I held you in the highest esteem for about 30 seconds.
:lol:

NinjaZombie

Punched the air when Liverpool beat City

But you have not even heard of his secret military base in Seychelles!

Brocky

Quiet makes things a bit too easy I think.

D-Dog was always my go to.

Never used D-Walker. Always felt a bit awkward to use.
I found D-Dog too easy, tbh. Playing mainly stealth, having him find every enemy was just way too OP, imo.

Using Quiet was a bit of a pain, at least until she got the tranq rifle. She was awesome once the shizzle hit the fan, though.

Ainu

I found D-Dog too easy, tbh. Playing mainly stealth, having him find every enemy was just way too OP, imo.

Using Quiet was a bit of a pain, at least until she got the tranq rifle. She was awesome once the shizzle hit the fan, though.
Once you're up to your 100th side op you start to appreciate his skills though.

Big Andy

Bloke
No idea why I've never used d-dog before. He is so cool.
I pretty much always use D-Dog, he finds all the bad bastards, and now he's equipped with a knife, can also kill them as well...

Rarely use quiet, her tits distract me...never used D-walker, and rarely use the horse, especially as I can't figure out how to make him run dead fast...I mainly use the horse to shit on people I've tranquiliser darted...

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
D Walker was utterly pointless unless I didn't use him properly.

D Dog was one of the coolest sidekicks they could have made.

Quiet had boobies.

rednev

There is non worthy of worship except God
I've just bought this game.

I haven't played MGS for about 16 years after completing the original on Playstation, so I'm wondering if it's worth catching up on the story before I start playing this one or should I just crack on with it? Is there anything that would be good to know in order to fully appreciate the game?

Wednesday at Stoke

Supports
Time Travel

I haven't played MGS for about 16 years after completing the original on Playstation, so I'm wondering if it's worth catching up on the story before I start playing this one or should I just crack on with it? Is there anything that would be good to know in order to fully appreciate the game?
If you remember the outline of Big Boss' story, you'd be fine, otherwise There are lot of recurrent characters from previous games as expected and you'll be wondering why they have such seething hate. I'd suggest watching a walk through of Ground Zeros, which is about an hour's worth of game play to get with the preamble of this mission.

Brocky

I played Peace Walker again before Ground Zeros and then Phantom Pain. It's not essential but there are a few references back to the events in PW.

*Edit* - Just realised you said that you've only played the original. Yeah, you're pretty much going to be going in blind and will be thinking 'WTF?!' with a lot of stuff. Although, people that have played the whole series were also still left quite bemused by holes in the story.

I would say just play GZ.

Last edited:

BigDunc9

Supports
Everton
It's a good game if a bit repetitive. Some of the gameplay elements are fantastic.

As a Metal Gear game though it is poor.

rednev

There is non worthy of worship except God
I played Peace Walker again before Ground Zeros and then Phantom Pain. It's not essential but there are a few references back to the events in PW.

*Edit* - Just realised you said that you've only played the original. Yeah, you're pretty much going to be going in blind and will be thinking 'WTF?!' with a lot of stuff. Although, people that have played the whole series were also still left quite bemused by holes in the story.

I would say just play GZ.
I bought Ground Zeroes today. There is a real possibility that I won't turn up to work tomorrow.

Big Andy

Bloke
I've got to about mission 38 in the main game, and I've had to have a break from it as it was getting a bit "samey"...especially as I've started redoing missions that I'd already done, just with no weapons or no kills...

Sadly, apart from FIFA (which I can only play a couple of games before getting bored) the only other game I have currently is the kids Lego Batman 3, so I've been doing the challenges on that trying to get them all the characters...

Red_Aaron

I only started this myself a month or so ago. Once it settles down the gameplay is good fun (though repetitive eventually) but I started skipping the story pretty early on. All the MGS stories are overly bloated but this one was just plain boring with a complete lack of interesting bad guys

I've had enough now really but the completionist in me keeps pulling me back

amolbhatia50k

Very late to the party but just started this and Wtf? This is just weird and annoying so far.
Why is that? I really enjoyed it. As someone who loves stealth games I thought the gameplay was absolutely brilliant. While story was disappointing though and not well told, still one of my better experiences in this console generation so far.

One Night Only

Prison Bitch #24604
Why is that? I really enjoyed it. As someone who loves stealth games I thought the gameplay was absolutely brilliant. While story was disappointing though and not well told, still one of my better experiences in this console generation so far.
Well I've just rescued someone, but all the prologue was just a bunch of horseshit, typical mgs movie type cutscene which didn't make much sense anyway, then fire dude, and floaty woman. It's like they have ideas for 4 different games but shove everything into the mgs series. Would be a better series without the fantasy shite. Plus during the prologue having to slowly crawl and stumble for ages was just plain boring.

Then those geezers after I rescue the dude, zombies or something... The story is going to be complete cross obviously, the gameplay might make it interesting though.

Woodzy

The majority of the game is nothing like the opening sequence for what it is worth (even thought I thought the opening sequence was great).

As others said, game got very repetitive but the gameplay is up there with the best. I need to go back and finish it eventually.

It kinda of irritated me that extracting soldiers was such an important mechanic when I really couldn't be arsed for it after a while.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
It kinda of irritated me that extracting soldiers was such an important mechanic when I really couldn't be arsed for it after a while.
They fecked up the whole base thing imo. Made it important but also made it way more boring than it should've been. Would've added longevity and depth if they'd done a better job of it, for me.

2mufc0

Everything is fair game in capitalism!
Supports
Dragon of Dojima
They fecked up the whole base thing imo. Made it important but also made it way more boring than it should've been. Would've added longevity and depth if they'd done a better job of it, for me.
True. I got bored of it quickly. Was a good idea overall though.

Sweet Square

Still the best game of the generation for me.

Yeah extracting is really the only mission objective but(And its the game fault for not showing people this) there are so many ways to extract soldiers, you can go the common route and stealth it but you can go full Rambo. I extracted a soldier by putting on the heavy armour, pre dropping smoke bombs on the base and using the mini gun on the helicopter to destroy most of the base before I landed, all to the tune of Kids In America.

amolbhatia50k

Well I've just rescued someone, but all the prologue was just a bunch of horseshit, typical mgs movie type cutscene which didn't make much sense anyway, then fire dude, and floaty woman. It's like they have ideas for 4 different games but shove everything into the mgs series. Would be a better series without the fantasy shite. Plus during the prologue having to slowly crawl and stumble for ages was just plain boring.

Then those geezers after I rescue the dude, zombies or something... The story is going to be complete cross obviously, the gameplay might make it interesting though.
Oh I thought you had reached the main gameplay portions because the game is ace in that respect.

To be fair if you don't like a 'typical' MGS story then you're never going to like anything in the series anyway as it's not for you. Me, despite the silly was I love MGS games and enjoy the stories as well. This one was a let down in that regard but they nailed the stealth gameplay imo. So it's not really snake eater but it's one of my favorite experiences so far on this console generation.

Organic Potatoes

Supports
Colorado Rapids
Had huge potential. Invading other bases was fun for a while, though. Especially when the owner popped in.

Big Andy

Bloke
I've got to about mission 38 in the main game, and I've had to have a break from it as it was getting a bit "samey"...especially as I've started redoing missions that I'd already done, just with no weapons or no kills...

Sadly, apart from FIFA (which I can only play a couple of games before getting bored) the only other game I have currently is the kids Lego Batman 3, so I've been doing the challenges on that trying to get them all the characters...
I ended up trading it in after the missions started repeating...I'd already snipered Quiet once, and it took me ages, let alone doing it again with a fecking spud gun or whatever it was...

I also enjoyed the capturing soldiers, animals, etc, but it just got all a bit too "same", so I got a bit bored...

Brocky

Somewhat similar to the way I did it. I used EMP mines instead of using D-Horse to block the road, though. I took the soldiers in the jeep out with tranquilisers, didn't utilise a tank and took the gunship down with a launcher. I also picked up all the escaped prisoners during my run, iirc.

I don't currently have the game installed, although I am curious as to how our times compare.

2mufc0

Everything is fair game in capitalism!
Supports
Dragon of Dojima
It's good but very short.

Berbasbullet

Too Boring For A Funny Tagline
Odd, just started replaying this, all my staff are sick though, how do I heal them?