Gaming Metal Gear Solid 5: The Phantom Pain | Use Spoiler Tags for now

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
Someone at Polish forum got 100% within the first 7 or 8 days from release, I think around 130 hours. I remember calculating this and he had to sleep around 3-4 hours a day and only take short, 5-minute breaks for food. He actually did.

Attila

Supports
Trad Bricks
Wish i knew before too aswell that's why i posted it, it's not really a spoiler though i thought, as it is easy to guess what was going to happen with her.
Yeah I heard you could lose her due so I thought having max friendship would be the way to keep her. Really annoying that you can't just reload a old save either

Attila

Supports
Trad Bricks
Someone at Polish forum got 100% within the first 7 or 8 days from release, I think around 130 hours. I remember calculating this and he had to sleep around 3-4 hours a day and only take short, 5-minute breaks for food. He actually did.
Maybe he got it before release. I think people had it like 5 days before official release

Sarni

Maybe he got it before release. I think people had it like 5 days before official release
It was very difficult to get it before September 1st here so I doubt. They have freaks like that over there on that forum, I can believe he did nothing but play for a whole week.

Happytom82

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Loved it at first, thought it might challenge Witcher 3 for my all time fav. Not so much when it got going. 7/10. Some of the ideas are so awesome, but then there are things that are completely awful. Konami, feck you!

Attila

Supports
Trad Bricks
Is there anything after mission 46?

I'm confused because
The Metal Gear Wiki has stuff about Eli fighting XOF in Africa and Venom Snake intervening + the 2nd English Vocal cord parasite bottle

Organic Potatoes

Supports
Colorado Rapids
Is there anything after mission 46?

I'm confused because
The Metal Gear Wiki has stuff about Eli fighting XOF in Africa and Venom Snake intervening + the 2nd English Vocal cord parasite bottle
I have heard rumors of a mission 51, but I'm scared to research it lest I spoil it. I'm at mission 50 with a full base and FOB but it still hasn't opened up for me.

Attila

Supports
Trad Bricks
I have heard rumors of a mission 51, but I'm scared to research it lest I spoil it. I'm at mission 50 with a full base and FOB but it still hasn't opened up for me.
I believe I read about that on Neogaf actually. Yeah there was meant to be a mission 51 to conclude Eli's story but it got cut out. bloody konami

Edit - The audio is on youtube

Edit 2 - There's even half finished cutscenes, can't believe it got cut out! :mad:

Attila

Supports
Trad Bricks
Finished it.

The potential this game had, man, just thinking about it as a big Metal Gear fan makes me sad.

The whole fake Big Boss thing was handled terribly. If you're not going to show BB's descent into villainy, at least use Frank Jaeger as his body double. Watched a few theory videos prior to release and I was about 80% sure you weren't actually playing BB, but as Frank Jaeger. I'm actually really pissed off at the story, or lack thereof.

TPP is the Mike Tyson of videogames.
That actually makes a bit more sense. Why the hell did Kojima pick a random nobody if he had people like Frank Jaeger to use

I bought the game thinking it was going to be about Big Boss and why he becomes evil and falls out with Miller.My theory was that he partners up with Skull Face to get Zero which Miller refuses to be a part of because of what Skull Face did to motherbase.

Sweet Square

ˈkämyənəst
How important is story/plot to you? If a lot, I wouldn't recommend it because you probably won't have a clue what's going on.
To be fair the story is shite anyway and also unfinished. But The game is worth getting mainly... well only for gameplay(Which in fairnesses is pretty amazing.)

Attila

Supports
Trad Bricks
I've never played any of the other MGS games.

I'm tempted to buy this. Should I?
It was my first Metal Gear game too and I thought it was great. The gameplay is on another level to most other games in my opinion and the game mechanics are very polished

Think people are just being too harsh on the story out of disappointment from being big metal gear fans

Shane88

Actually Nostradamus
To be fair the story is shite anyway and also unfinished. But The game is worth getting mainly... well only for gameplay(Which in fairnesses is pretty amazing.)
It is good but when you aren't getting invested in the story, you notice that you're just infiltrating outpost after outpost after outpost. And while there is loads of ways to approach those infiltrations, I found myself dual-sniping with Quiet for about 80% of my playthrough because I just couldn't be arsed changing it up.

It was my first Metal Gear game too and I thought it was great.

Think people are just being too harsh on the story out of disappointment from being big metal gear fans
I'll admit to that. MGS3 came out 11 years and 2 consoles ago and the only thing MGSV has managed to do is look prettier.

Sweet Square

ˈkämyənəst
It is good but when you aren't getting invested in the story, you notice that you're just infiltrating outpost after outpost after outpost. And while there is loads of ways to approach those infiltrations, I found myself dual-sniping with Quiet for about 80% of my playthrough because I just couldn't be arsed changing it up.
I was slightly luckily in that 1. I'm shite a sniping and 2. Saw people say on here that using Quiet can make the game stale. Although even with that said I did constantly feel like I had to force the game to be interesting rather than it happening naturally(Still do think that the core mechanics and controls are great)

But yeah thinking back your right about the story elements as my interested drop off massively in chapter two(Which is where the story goes to shit for me at least although it does have the best missions in the game)and you start to notice the faults more.

Shane88

Actually Nostradamus
Are you saying MGS3 plays better than MGS5? Come on...
Definitely. For a start, look at the bosses. The shootout with Ocelot, the best sniper battle in any game with The End, the dark as feck section with The Sorrow, Volgin, The Shagohod and there's an argument to be made for The Boss being one of the best boss battles in any game.

Compare with MGSV. Quiet, a fun sniper battle, not a patch on The End though. Sahelanthropus was quality, that stands up to any of the battles with the mechs from previous games. Can't remember any other boss battles than them unless The Skulls count, and they're shit.

If terms of gameplay and variety, the Groznyj Grad section and the amount of ways you can tackle it and the aftermath where you're left with no weapons stands above anything in MGSV. The approach to Sokolov, escaping with Eva, the Shagohod chase are all other quality sections. They even managed to make climbing a 100ft ladder epic.

I can't think of any hugely memorable gameplay sections in MGSV. Infiltrating camp OKB Zero was decent and escaping from Sahelanthropus was tense.

Brocky

Hit Platinum last night! :D

There's no question that this installment is mechanically superior to previous ones. What I think @Shane88 is getting at, is that this one doesn't have the same 'Metal Gear feel' as it's predecessors. I said a similar thing in a post a few pages back. It's hard to put your finger on exactly what I mean by that, but I can't say that any of the sections in MGSV were as good as some of the ones Shane mentioned. It's definitely lacking something.

That said, I really liked this one and am still playing, despite having 100% & Platinum.

Ainu

Definitely. For a start, look at the bosses. The shootout with Ocelot, the best sniper battle in any game with The End, the dark as feck section with The Sorrow, Volgin, The Shagohod and there's an argument to be made for The Boss being one of the best boss battles in any game.

Compare with MGSV. Quiet, a fun sniper battle, not a patch on The End though. Sahelanthropus was quality, that stands up to any of the battles with the mechs from previous games. Can't remember any other boss battles than them unless The Skulls count, and they're shit.

If terms of gameplay and variety, the Groznyj Grad section and the amount of ways you can tackle it and the aftermath where you're left with no weapons stands above anything in MGSV. The approach to Sokolov, escaping with Eva, the Shagohod chase are all other quality sections. They even managed to make climbing a 100ft ladder epic.

I can't think of any hugely memorable gameplay sections in MGSV. Infiltrating camp OKB Zero was decent and escaping from Sahelanthropus was tense.
Those are all arguments why you think it is the better game with more memorable moments, but not why it plays better, which was the exact wording of the post you quoted. The gameplay mechanics are superior to any other MGS game, I don't think a legitemate debate can be had about that. MGS3's environments and set pieces were more varied and memorable, but you can't reduce MGSV to its boss battles and conclude it plays worse. The boss battles are only a tiny part of the game, and arguably the weakest.

In MGSV, the onus is on the player to craft his own memorable moments using the wide array of tools provided by the game, instead of the game placing the player in those moments. Some will like that, some won't, and it's certainly debatable whether or not the game presents you with enough - and crucially, sufficiently varied - context to pull it off successfully. The one thing that's never in doubt for me however, is how well it plays. Even if you dislike all the rest, that's probably its saving grace. That and the stunning visuals.

Attila

Supports
Trad Bricks
Was hiding in the back of a truck there and it entered the Afghanistan Central base camp during a sandstorm...suddenly it comes to a stop and they all go on alert so I thought I had been spotted. Turns out the driver drove over one of the soldiers as he couldn't see him due to the sandstorm :lol:

BigDunc9

Supports
Everton
The complete lack of story and the repetitive gameplay has stopped me from completing this and I feel no urge to pick it back up. Shame really as the gameplay is fantastic.

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
Mission 16 is a bitch. Tried both approaches of waiting for the truck at the last and also going in straight to the airport. Keep on getting killed by the fecking skulls.

I can't seem to fulton the trucks without killing the skulls first.

Last edited:

Organic Potatoes

Supports
Colorado Rapids
Mission 16 is a bitch. Tried both approaches of waiting for the truck at the last and also going in straight to the airport. Keep on getting killed by the fecking skulls.

That was my most frustrating mission. Ended up barging into the first outpost they stop at and driving like mad with the cargo until somehow they lost me in the forest to the west.

The extreme version was actually easier, but that's because I cheesed it with invisibility camo as I couldn't be arsed to go through that again.

mufcwarm92

I can't bloody do it. It infuriates me and I'm worried I'll never get this game finished because of this one mission. I don't have the good level Fulton and every time I try to kill the skulls I die.

Neelu

Likes to eat cement and rubber but not boogers

I finished that mission without even getting spotted. I set up myself at the checkpoint just after the airport. Put a c4 on the road with I detonated just as the first tank passes. which stops the convoy.

Then I ran to hide beneath the last truck just as the skulls come out. Took out the human driver with tranq and kept hiding at the edge of the truck. Skulls automatically move towards you so I just stayed beneath the truck till they were all at the edge of the convoy as well. Then I moved up quickly from beneath the truck and ran towards the front. The skulls are too slow moving to notice you in time. Then it's just a matter of kiting the skulls away from the convoy and fultoning stuff whenever you see an opening.

Managed to Fulton each vehicle in convoy this way without getting spotted.

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
Just managed to do the mission. What I did was had Quiet as my buddy and kept on hiding in the room on the upper floor just near the truck. That way I could regain the health and Quiet kept on taking out the skulls for me. Also managed to hit them with rocket launcher. Ofcourse, when I had eliminated Skulls, I found out that I didn't had the necessary level to fulton up the truck, so I had to drive the truck out of the hotzone to complete the level. Also got a S in that mission which was my first.

Sarni

Finally moved on to Africa. It's amazing how much worse Angola looks than Afghanistan, graphics wise this is PS3 environment and not even impressive PS3.

Sarni

I have been playing online for the first time, why are half the people invisible and how do I become invisible? Aside from that I like everything else so far.

Adzzz

Astrophysical Genius - Hard for Grinner
Staff
My first metal gear was the stone-wall masterpiece that is MGS for the PS1. To begin, I think MGSV is a fantastic game, it does a lot of things right - Quiet is a great MGS character and the Metal Gear missions themselves were brilliant. I think a lot of the side missions are incredibly repetitive but I find myself challenging myself to do them in new and different (read harder) ways. What they've lost though in the open the world is the brilliant if crazed story-line of MGS 1&2 etc. You never knew what was down the next corridor on Shadow Moses, the base was choked full of immense characters and intense boss battles all of which you were led into perfectly, paced amazingly and usually always a solid but doable challenge. The open world environment doesn't really encourage fantastic set-pieces and often times if you were doing side missions before main missions, or vice versa, you'd end up returning to a facility 3,4,5+ times each time with a different objective.

Cypher and XOF and the parasite unit are great enemies but I never felt as tense as I did as say when I was walking down the corridor of blood stained corpses to meet Grey Fox. I actually think MGS suits claustrophobic environments more than the open world where you can flee fairly easily. It would perhaps have worked better if you felt like you were actually in the middle of the Soviet invasion. I'm pretty sure upon first hearing of MGSV we were led to think it would be an all out battle zone but do we even meet a single Mujaheddin fighter? Rather we're treated to countless Soviet outposts, who, until Big Boss comes along and destroys them were having it pretty cushy and catching rays.

I hope this doesn't seem to critical because it's still an utterly brilliant game and I think the open world idea can work, if we occasionally left it for cinematic, linear game-play that you have to progress through.

Attila

Supports
Trad Bricks
I have been playing online for the first time, why are half the people invisible and how do I become invisible? Aside from that I like everything else so far.
It's a perk for the infiltrator class. You tap one of the D-pad buttons to equip and use it (like you would do for a cardboard box)

Sarni

It's a perk for the infiltrator class. You tap one of the D-pad buttons to equip and use it (like you would do for a cardboard box)
I don't have it at level one. It's also a bit shit and ruining the game a little. You cannot be invisible if you're a soldier. Game is still fine.

Attila

Supports
Trad Bricks
I don't have it at level one. It's also a bit shit and ruining the game a little. You cannot be invisible if you're a soldier. Game is still fine.
You'll get used to spotting them easily and there's a patch coming which is meant to significantly reduce the invisibility duration and turn it off as soon as you shoot at it. Plus their health will be lowered compared to the other classes (and I think the enforcer class is getting their health increased)

Sarni

You'll get used to spotting them easily and there's a patch coming which is meant to significantly reduce the invisibility duration and turn it off as soon as you shoot at it. Plus their health will be lowered compared to the other classes (and I think the enforcer class is getting their health increased)
Feck, I'm not infiltrator. I'm enforcer (the middle one, right?).

Adzzz

Astrophysical Genius - Hard for Grinner
Staff
My first metal gear was the stone-wall masterpiece that is MGS for the PS1. To begin, I think MGSV is a fantastic game, it does a lot of things right - Quiet is a great MGS character and the Metal Gear missions themselves were brilliant. I think a lot of the side missions are incredibly repetitive but I find myself challenging myself to do them in new and different (read harder) ways. What they've lost though in the open the world is the brilliant if crazed story-line of MGS 1&2 etc. You never knew what was down the next corridor on Shadow Moses, the base was choked full of immense characters and intense boss battles all of which you were led into perfectly, paced amazingly and usually always a solid but doable challenge. The open world environment doesn't really encourage fantastic set-pieces and often times if you were doing side missions before main missions, or vice versa, you'd end up returning to a facility 3,4,5+ times each time with a different objective.

Cypher and XOF and the parasite unit are great enemies but I never felt as tense as I did as say when I was walking down the corridor of blood stained corpses to meet Grey Fox. I actually think MGS suits claustrophobic environments more than the open world where you can flee fairly easily. It would perhaps have worked better if you felt like you were actually in the middle of the Soviet invasion. I'm pretty sure upon first hearing of MGSV we were led to think it would be an all out battle zone but do we even meet a single Mujaheddin fighter? Rather we're treated to countless Soviet outposts, who, until Big Boss comes along and destroys them were having it pretty cushy and catching rays.

I hope this doesn't seem to critical because it's still an utterly brilliant game and I think the open world idea can work, if we occasionally left it for cinematic, linear game-play that you have to progress through.
Oops.

Kaos

I got to mission 13 or something some time ago, dropped it and I haven't felt compelled to go back to it ever since. Not sure I entirely enjoyed this...

Hamadovich86

I finished the game on Saturday and I am still wrapping my head around the story. Not going to spoil anything but in my opinion this is the most poorly executed MGS story we've had so far. I'm having a hard time actually believing that it could be this bad considering this comes from Kojima. Now you might say that MGS always had a weird and goofy story line but MGSV's story not only comes off as bad but is also pointless and unnecessary. The story seemed shoe horned to fit in with the MG timeline but not only does it not make the overall story more interesting it fails on so many levels.

It is shocking that a game so immaculate from a gameplay perspective can be so bad but I can see why non fans would enjoy it because they simply dont care but for someone like me whos played every game in the series I can feel the Phantom Pain of something missing in the story. Overall I cant not recommend this game because the gameplay mechanics are so damn good but I cant call it a masterpiece as some gaming websites have.

Sarni

I finished the game on Saturday and I am still wrapping my head around the story. Not going to spoil anything but in my opinion this is the most poorly executed MGS story we've had so far. I'm having a hard time actually believing that it could be this bad considering this comes from Kojima. Now you might say that MGS always had a weird and goofy story line but MGSV's story not only comes off as bad but is also pointless and unnecessary. The story seemed shoe horned to fit in with the MG timeline but not only does it not make the overall story more interesting it fails on so many levels.

It is shocking that a game so immaculate from a gameplay perspective can be so bad but I can see why non fans would enjoy it because they simply dont care but for someone like me whos played every game in the series I can feel the Phantom Pain of something missing in the story. Overall I cant not recommend this game because the gameplay mechanics are so damn good but I cant call it a masterpiece as some gaming websites have.
I'm only at mission 18 but have already given up on the story, it's not a story driven game at all. It makes very little sense throughout and the plot isn't interesting at all, I don't expect it to change in the next 13 missions (there are 31 main story missions, correct?). It's gameplay oriented mostly and while it's fun to play (to an extent because it does get very repetitive after a while and there's little incentive to do side ops other than grinding) but in terms of story it's very scarce in content.

Attila

Supports
Trad Bricks
I'm only at mission 18 but have already given up on the story, it's not a story driven game at all. It makes very little sense throughout and the plot isn't interesting at all, I don't expect it to change in the next 13 missions (there are 31 main story missions, correct?). It's gameplay oriented mostly and while it's fun to play (to an extent because it does get very repetitive after a while and there's little incentive to do side ops other than grinding) but in terms of story it's very scarce in content.
It actually does pick up quite a bit in terms of story after mission 18 if I remember correctly

Hamadovich86

The story has some interesting parts but it amounts to nothing. A big reason why MGS fans love the series is the story so I cant help but be disappointed from that aspect.

Ainu

Did the update today change how FOB's work or something? I just had a human defender arrive in an FOB mission without even getting discovered or an alarm being raised. There were no devices so I definitely didn't trip anything. This never happened before.