Michael Carrick | 2013/14 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
I'd love for us to wheel out Giggs on Wednesday.

He literally can't be any worse... and if anything, can at least do things/add invention that none of our other players can.

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?
You see this is one of those moments where you state your opinion as an obvious fact. I don't agree that he hasn't played well at any point this season. Against Fulham, Arsenal and then Palace I thought he played well, 3 games back-to-back. That's better than any of our other midfielders as far as I can remember. Fletcher has generally played well and deserves to be starting ahead of him but then I presumed the reason he's not starting ahead of him regularly is because of health issues.

LR7

If we put Kroos/Gundogan/Vidal/Carvalho or the other muppet targets in midfield next season I doubt they'll look much better. Our play as a team is so poor and it isn't even about individuals anymore. I also don't think we are playing to the strengths of our best players, and I thought Carrick was our best player last season, and this season he's been played to deep to be effective.

Gladiator

would have taken off carrick instead of fellaini. get sick of him 'hiding'.

DFreshKing

Johnmufc really should be named johncarrickfc he is unswerving in his support for the player even at the expense of the club!

Not easy to play in this team i am sure and carrick should be part of three, although my three would Jones Fellani, and Kagawa but that is more to do with the kind of balance i would want.

Got to be a sub from now on for me.

MoneyMay

Thought he (along with a couple of other poor performances against Liverpool) improved tremendously and showed that he knows how not to hide.

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
I don't think he was great once again, not involved enough at all. Van Persie had same number of touches with the ball, it's ridiculous for Carrick's standards.

NotoriousISSY

$10mil and I fecked it up!
Was on the ball a lot less than normal but that could be useful to take him out of the firing line.

We rarely passed for the sake of passing which was completely necessary when we needed 3 goals. Carrick was just an insurance policy against a lesser side tonight.

It was all about getting the job done rather than individuals tonight and despite some scares and brilliant saves the job was done.

Jimy_Hills_Chin

Desperately wants to be ITK
Looked a lot better tonight. Definitely benefitted from having an attack minded partner in there. I think Carrick looks poorest when he is charged with making things happen in an attacking sense.

LR7

I love Carrick. I think his biggest problem this season is that it seems he's been asked to play a different role to the one he played under Fergie, which suits him less, means he's sat a lot deeper and makes it difficult for him to shine and dictate games the way he did with a bit of swagger last season. I don't think he was anything special tonight. It's quite atypical for Carrick to end a game with four of our players having made more passes than him, including one who was subbed off over 15 mins before the whistle. Getting Carrick back controlling our midfield will be a massive step forward.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
I love Carrick. I think his biggest problem this season is that it seems he's been asked to play a different role to the one he played under Fergie, which suits him less, means he's sat a lot deeper and makes it difficult for him to shine and dictate games the way he did with a bit of swagger last season. I don't think he was anything special tonight. It's quite atypical for Carrick to end a game with four of our players having made more passes than him, including one who was subbed off over 15 mins before the whistle. Getting Carrick back controlling our midfield will be a massive step forward.
Yeah, was a little bit peripheral tonight. Not sure why.

Think your decision to blame Moyes is a bit simplistic. Didn't Carrick complete more passes than any other player this season against Palace? Something like that anyway. Saw a ridiculous amount of the ball.

I think he was just deferring to Giggs the way he used to with Scholes. Always happy to take a back seat to a more illustrious partner. A bit too willing tbh.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
Johnmufc really should be named johncarrickfc he is unswerving in his support for the player even at the expense of the club!

Not easy to play in this team i am sure and carrick should be part of three, although my three would Jones Fellani, and Kagawa but that is more to do with the kind of balance i would want.

Got to be a sub from now on for me.
Mental.

Still ill

Fantasy Football Champ 2018

Think your decision to blame Moyes is a bit simplistic. Didn't Carrick complete more passes than any other player this season against Palace? Something like that anyway. Saw a ridiculous amount of the ball.

I think he was just deferring to Giggs the way he used to with Scholes. Always happy to take a back seat to a more illustrious partner. A bit too willing tbh.
Much too willing. I'd like to see a bit more raging against the dying of the light from him. I hated how he almost shrunk in stature when Scholes came back, having been in fantastic form. He really looks in decline this term. Poor again tonight, I thought. I don't accept that this is all we can expect from him from here on in. He was so majestic at times last season and it's not as if he's relying on his pace or physicality. Spark seems absent this year. I'd love to see him puff out his chest a bit for the remainder of the campaign and demand a bit more respect.

LR7

My post wasn't about Moyes. That palace game is the exception rather than the rule. I hoped it meant we had turned a corner in that regard actually. He's been used differently this season, that much is clear. Our CMs do sit deeper, with Carrick usually deepest. Him not dictating the play through the middle like he did last season is to our detriment because he was excellent last season. I think its similar to RvP. His scoring rate isn't too bad but everyone can see he is more peripheral and less influential regarding our general play and I genuinely think we haven't been playing in a way that suits him for the most part.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
Looked a feck load better tonight... whcih maybe had something to do with having Giggs and Rooney playing in positions closer to him then anything else.

RORY65

He was better than he has been of late but still wasn't very good. He seems to have reverted to taking on no responsibility, it's a shame because for the last couple of years our midfield has been crap apart from Carrick while now it's crap, including Carrick.

Dominos

There was a sexy moment in the 2nd half where he was pressed by 2 or 3 players and he turned them all and found a forward pass. Needs a gif.

Was kind of peripheral but definitely did his job.

DFreshKing

This season definitely but next year we should look at playing him a lot less.
Well not really then eh? Either he is good enough or not, unless of course you can predict the future and know next season he is going to be much worst than this. (purge the thought)

NotoriousISSY

$10mil and I fecked it up!
brilliant post.

He has been poor all season.

If that does not deserve a benching then you deserve the position you are in.
You're going to have to bench most of the regulars if that's how it works.

Where possible we need consistency not random benching. More often than not the manager is making 3-4 changes per game...it doesn't help anyone.

shaggy

Prefers blue over red, loathed by Spurs fans
Well not really then eh? Either he is good enough or not, unless of course you can predict the future and know next season he is going to be much worst than this. (purge the thought)
Erm yes unless you want us to recall Anderson or play Cleverley.

DFreshKing

You're going to have to bench most of the regulars if that's how it works.

Where possible we need consistency not random benching. More often than not the manager is making 3-4 changes per game...it doesn't help anyone.

Not at all, most of the regulars have not been that poor.

LR7

It'd be silly to bench him. Just like it'd have been silly to bench RvP as people on here have been suggesting for the last few weeks. Even when they're not at their best they're still two of our best players, and the team needs them.

DFreshKing

Doesn't make your suggestion any less mental.

If we bench Carrick for being poor, who has been playing better than him and deserves to start ahead of him?
Jones, Cleverly, Kagawa and Giggs, Fellani, plenty of options if you play a three.

He was good last season but im afraid he is past it now. look at the ratings thread and tell me we should keep playing a 5/10 player cause you cant think of anyone else.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
Jones, Cleverly, Kagawa and Giggs, Fellani, plenty of options if you play a three.

He was good last season but im afraid he is past it now. look at the ratings thread and tell me we should keep playing a 5/10 player cause you cant think of anyone else.
Name three players from that list who have consistently played better than Carrick in central midfield this season and deserve to start ahead of him, while he sits on the bench?

Blasphemy

Has to start for the remainder of the season, but I'd be happy to see him benched next season with sufficient replacements brought in.

noodlehair

"It's like..."
He did nothing any bog standard midfielder couldn't do for an hour, then went and hid in our defence inviting Olympiakos on to the edge of our area.

Honestly I don't know what games people are watching on here this season.

It's like Carrick's so timid everyone's too afraid of hurting his feelings to point out how alarmingly shite he plays every single week. I could sort of understand playinghim last night for the positional discipline needed to get away with playing Giggs, but feck me he did little to justify being there, to the point I genuinely think we might have been better if him and Jones swapped positions.

Rooney in Paris

Gerrard shirt..Anfield? You'll Never Live it Down
Scout
A couple of times he made some stupid weird passes straight to the opposition, but overall I thought he was pretty good, kept things simple most of the time and usually when getting the ball back managed to maneuver in tight spaces and pass the ball cleanly. Nothing exceptional, just the basics, but it was good to see. His performance also was the platform to let Giggs act more freely I thought.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
I thought he was a bit ropey tbh, not as bad as Liverpool performance (but what could be?)

I used to think that we needed one top notch CM to partner him, now i think we need 2 new top notch CM's

needs to step up if we are to have any chance of winning the CL (which is already no hope and bob hope)

Status
Not open for further replies.