Michael Carrick | 2013/14 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.

Crackers

greasy ginfers
He's gotten very quiet this year, and hasn't been nearly as good at his basic duties. As many have said, he's become a bit cowardly. Last year he took the game by the scruff of the neck so to speak, this year he's afraid of any team.

AngeloHenriquez

Supports
Stevenage
Goes missing far too often, isn't the player he was, however I'd place a lot of that down to him BEING our CENTRE MIDFIELD alone for the past few years.

He's more than likely burned out and could do with a good rest/retirement :lol:

Shark

@NotShark
I think that it's finally the time to stop our over reliance on him and go out and buy a midfielder this summer that's worthy of starting over him, because even if he's still our best CM, he's dropped far below his standards this season. Fellaini isn't that man, and never will be. Neither will Cleverly.

SambaBoy

Doesn't put down a marker on the game like he did last season. Seems scared to receive the ball, he's still our best midfielder and can do a good job for us.

He's relied upon too heavily for someone near there 30's and he needs a rest. We need to bring in midfielders to challenge him.

kps88

We need to start managing him better. Can't be asking a 33 year old to play so many games.

DFreshKing

Name three players from that list who have consistently played better than Carrick in central midfield this season and deserve to start ahead of him, while he sits on the bench?

It's about the next game, not what he did earlier in the season or whenever. He looks shot, If he plays against any CL team I worry it will be too late to say I told you so.

Our only chance is to play aggressive players at the base of the midfield and a link player at the top of the triangle.

I would go Jones, Fellani and Kagawa, with Giggs giving himself a shout after last nights game. Cleverly and Carrick backup.

Jones has the mentality and is a real trier, Fellani has been better than Carrick since he got back from injury.

Not sure how you can argue and it's certainly not a mental idea, you are living of his past if you think he deserves a start.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Jones last performance in central midfield was significantly worse than Carrick last night.

So yeah, even going on a game by game basis your suggestion is still mental.

Also debatable whether Fellaini has been better than Carrick since his return from injury. Arguably against WBA but definitely not against Palace and couldn't see much difference between them against Liverpool.

Anyway, going three in midfield is a whole other discussion and it's definitely the only way that Kagawa gets anywhere near the team. Carrick would still start anyway, mind you.

DFreshKing

Jones last performance in central midfield was significantly worse than Carrick last night.

So yeah, even going on a game by game basis your suggestion is still mental.

Also debatable whether Fellaini has been better than Carrick since his return from injury. Arguably against WBA but definitely not against Palace and couldn't see much difference between them against Liverpool.

Anyway, going three in midfield is a whole other discussion and it's definitely the only way that Kagawa gets anywhere near the team. Carrick would still start anyway, mind you.
Jones offers the required mobility Carrick lacks. No doubt he is playing better at the moment even when he has played midfield.

I think you are blinded by you initial argument and pointless posturing. Your obsession with it being 'mental' is clouding your judgement.

He will cost us in the important games this season imho, time will tell.

Gladiator

had tough time dealing with olympiakos MF targeting him. i wonder if there was a stat for amount of 50/50s and second balls he won/lost

twitchchris

I've long figured that other teams' pregame talks include "Pressurize or Intimidate Carrick" as major tactical plans. He can't cope with a fast game, and his judgment goes to pieces under stress. Intensely physical midfielders like Yaya Toure probably look forward to facing him.

I've seen these aspects of his game for several years, but it's gotten bad enough that a neutral friend came to me in December and said "I see what you mean about Carrick", and mentioned a fast counter-attack that ground to a halt when he got the ball.

I don't think it matters who we bring in; if Carrick is an automatic pick the midfield will still look like it does now.

Sultan

Gentleness adorns everything
His performance just highlights our need for a quality ball playing centre half.

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
Carrick deserves a pat on the back for going toe-to-toe with West Ham's big men. Last season Fellaini made a mug of him when he played centre-half against Everton. There was none of that today, even when Carlton Cole was thrown on. Plus, his passing from deep was quietly essential in helping us get moves going. Nice to see some of the old Carrick back this week.

Kostur

海尔的老板
To be fair he's looked far better than in, say, 90% of matches this season he's played in as a CM. So did our CB pairing.

Maybe we really should be looking for a playmaking CB in the summer.

Sixpence

Erroneously Promoted
I can't work him out. He plays like a pussy most of the season then he gets put to CB in the worst possible game and he is brave and wins headers, tackles and looks like Beckenbeuer in possession.

KiD MoYeS

Good Craig got his c'nuppins
He might have a future in centre back? Seriously his composure and ability to play from the back was invaluable today, really refreshing to see. It helped that Mata, Rooney and Kagawa were nearly always options, and Fletcher and Fellaini certainly didn't shy away but it was refreshing to see our centre backs not lump the ball aimlessly.

Crackers

greasy ginfers
To be fair he's looked far better than in, say, 90% of matches this season he's played in as a CM. So did our CB pairing.

Maybe we really should be looking for a playmaking CB in the summer.
Or at least a CB who can pass quite well, other than Evans.

Sultan

Gentleness adorns everything
I can't work him out. He plays like a pussy most of the season then he gets put to CB in the worst possible game and he is brave and wins headers, tackles and looks like Beckenbeuer in possession.
Once we sign decent midfielders he's ideally suited to be a sweeper.

RustyS

It's actually very nice to have a CB who can pass the ball with precision from the back. It's not a CB's main job but it makes a big difference.

His overall play was really good today.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
I honestly thought we were buggered when I saw him lining up at CB... how he proved me wrong and then some.

I think he misplaced one pass all game, and not only that, he didn't play the Vidic/Rio game of hoofball - which was so incredibly refreshing. On top of that, his actual defensive work was superb...

I wouldn't say he's our new CB or anything - we've seen him have too many shockers there, and if he came up against Strikers that would run at him he'd be screwed - but yeah, just on today, well done Michael.

MoneyMay

I honestly thought we were buggered when I saw him lining up at CB... how he proved me wrong and then some.

I think he misplaced one pass all game, and not only that, he didn't play the Vidic/Rio game of hoofball - which was so incredibly refreshing. On top of that, his actual defensive work was superb...

I wouldn't say he's our new CB or anything - we've seen him have too many shockers there, and if he came up against Strikers that would run at him he'd be screwed - but yeah, just on today, well done Michael.
This.

dev1l

Once we sign decent midfielders he's ideally suited to be a sweeper.
true. There are indications that we are looking at centrebacks who are comfortable bringing the ball forward - so Carrick can be the answer. He ll need someone fast alongside him - both jones and smalling fit the criteria.

acnumber9

I thought he was superb today. We really saw the benefit of somebody at the back who is comfortable on the ball.

Crackers

greasy ginfers
I thought he was superb today. We really saw the benefit of somebody at the back who is cfortanle on the ball.
They should make him play in CB in training with some of our Center backs, they could learn something if paired with him. Learn by watching etc.

twitchchris

He'll decline as a CB as soon as he's moved there permanently. He's had brief flashes of excellence at CM, like when Anderson had his short renaissance, then he goes back to sucking and being a coward when he sees his place isn't in danger.

He's also 32. He will only get slower.

I saw on twitter that he had some Q&A thing recently. I asked him a couple of Qs, but don't expect replies:

"One day UTD’s midfield will be an example of speed, possession & one-touch passing. How long will you have been retired by then?"

"Convincing many fans & the manager that you are too good to drop; was it a simple blood spell or was soul-selling needed?"

acnumber9

He'll decline as a CB as soon as he's moved there permanently. He's had brief flashes of excellence at CM, like when Anderson had his short renaissance, then he goes back to sucking and being a coward when he sees his place isn't in danger.

He's also 32. He will only get slower.

I saw on twitter that he had some Q&A thing recently. I asked him a couple of Qs, but don't expect replies:

"One day UTD’s midfield will be an example of speed, possession & one-touch passing. How long will you have been retired by then?"

"Convincing many fans & the manager that you are too good to drop; was it a simple blood spell or was soul-selling needed?"
What a wit you must be.

Mainoldo

If we buy two quality Midfielders can't we save money on replacing Rio with Carrick?? Just a thought.

Dante

Average bang
He'd be perfect as the authoritative, calming presence that we'll be missing in defence next season.

What we need is someone who can set an example for the likes of Jones, Smalling and Evans to follow. I'd be happy with Carrick as a senior CB in that bunch, given that it's always difficult to predict how a new signing will adapt to the demands of being a leader in a club like United.

Of course, this would just mean that we're shifting the problem of leadership to the midfield, but then that area of the pitch already needs major surgery so a shake up might not be such a bad thing.

bugmat

Same. I thought him and Jones lsot too many headers in the frist half but we crowed them outon the knock downs, and second half they won more esp Jones who seemed to figure out he had to jump earlier to get over them giants. Having MC there able to play every other ball out w/o hoofing made a difference.

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
Carrick was fine at CB today, very good infact, but I think it's going a little overboard to suggest that could be where the rest of his career remains just now. He's certainly had more dismal games at centre back than good. West Ham were shite today as well. I'd like to see him play a number of good games at centre back, especially against more testing opposition, before suggesting he be moved back there more regularly.

Then again, I'd rather we gave the position either to Smalling and Jones, or sign a natural first-choice centre back before hoping Carrick play there too regularly.

Status
Not open for further replies.