Michael Carrick | 2013/14 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.

Walters_19_MuFc

Thought he was solid yesterday. Can't imagine it was easy against a West Ham side who were constantly putting it in the box for big Andy Carroll to get on the end of.

I felt Carrick's calmness and surety on the ball and Jones's no nonsense defending turned out to be a pretty steady partnership.

MoneyMay

We really need to look for an alternative or replacement (whatever you want to call it).

Another game where I think he and Fellaini are not good enough together. Either have Carrick and Cleverley or Fellaini and Cleverley in midfield.

He's had a decent half, but it's also another game where he's doing everything in the middle. I don't understand?

Revan

Assumptionman
Excellent. Can't believe that people were arguing that Fellaini is better than him.

NotoriousISSY

$10mil and I fecked it up!
Needed him on the ball more but his positioning was spot on most of the match. A shout from someone might have had him go for Schweinsteiger but that's hindsight.

DFreshKing

Finally stepped up tonight. Good solid performance and some lovely long passes too. Screened well all night.

Proved he still has it in his locker.

johnmufc

Our only central midfielder with any semblance of composure. It's a real tragedy he has to play alongside that abomination of a footballer.

Mystry

Friendship is magic
Thought he was our best player tonight, the Carrick of last season. Gave the ball away a few times but was inevitable with the kind of balls he was playing into our fowards.

Blue always red

Thought he was our best player tonight, the Carrick of last season. Gave the ball away a few times but was inevitable with the kind of balls he was playing into our fowards.
Agree, the past few weeks he has become awesome again. He is still lacking that 100% though, he's not quite at it decision wise and there were times today when he was looking like he was split between playing the ball and keeping it and was put under pressure. Defensively he was a rock, as usual.

thepolice123

He was excellent. It was obvious our gameplan was to break quickly using Carrick as the slingshot. His long balls put them under a lot pressure.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
You've all gone a bit Garth Crooks on the poll. Vidic was good and scored but Carrick was our best player.

Get In Scholesy

When the team is organized with a game plan to execute, Carrick is usually the one orchestrating things. He is our anchor and most important player in these situations. His mediocre season can also be attributed to this, many times this season we seemed to be lacking any game plan or cohesion hence why he has poor games for his standards. Having a game plan and a clear role for him and ensure he will do a fine job, just look at last season for example.

Also he did very well today, was our best player I feel.

Bross

Noggie Pez Dispenser
Chillin with Giggsy at the Retardment Castle
Think he was great tonight. Had some absolutely vital interceptions and good defensive contributions to give us posession back. What I really love about him is that when he wins the ball, its not just tackling it out for a cross or kicking it aimlessly up the pitch into an empty area. He is always aware of where his teammates are and plays a pass quickly after winning the ball. So he doestn just win it, but makes sure we retain the ball when he does.

His pass percentage was far better than the other midfielder Id imagine without having seen the stats.

Lawman

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Not saying he wasn't good tonight but he has the mobility of a snail. Would love to see us buy 2 centre mids with a bit pace and drive.

Lawman

Compared to Fellaini Carrick is a fecking race car.
I'm a massive fan of Carrick but he is so slow and static and with Fellaini beside him it's more pronounced.

DanNistelrooy

Lineup Prediction & Last Man Standing winner 2017
Absolutely superb performance, pretty much faultless.

Makes such a difference having some movement (Welbeck) up front.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
Anyone got a gif of that first time pass out to Danny in the first half? Magical stuff.

Walters_19_MuFc

Great game for Carrick yesterday. Solid throughout and played some great balls over the top for our attackers to get on the end of.

Eric'sCollar

Asked for his wife's permission before signing up
Really pleased for him that he put in a good display. Thought he did very well in a very tough situation.

Rooney in Paris

Gerrard shirt..Anfield? You'll Never Live it Down
Scout
Excellent. Can't believe that people were arguing that Fellaini is better than him.
The only thing Fellaini is better at is having a shit haircut.

People are really arguing this?

Very good last night, composed and good positioning. Also good on the ball, when he had it (which wasn't much, of course).

NotoriousISSY

$10mil and I fecked it up!
Played like a proper quarterback when it came to passing. Just a shame possession was as low as 25% meaning he wasn't able to make a shed load of those great first time passes.

His positioning was there though. Against the 3 of Bayern with Muller and Schweinsteiger all over the place as well as Robben and Ribery, he was always there.

I hope he can maintain that for the second leg and more.

Plugsy

He was the only one of our starting midfield 3 who didn't feck up everything asked of them first half. He was a glue.

Annihilate Now!

Scout
He was the only one of our starting midfield 3 who didn't feck up everything asked of them first half. He was a glue.
What did Giggs feck up exactly? His role was to help out Carrick/Fellaini in the middle AND help Buttner double up on Robben - which he did very effectively.

Plugsy

What did Giggs feck up exactly? His role was to help out Carrick/Fellaini in the middle AND help Buttner double up on Robben - which he did very effectively.
He did nothing effectively. He watched as a by-stander as the game went on around him. If Giggs was held to ANY kind of a standard as a footballer these days he'd be getting probably the most stick of the game behind Fellaini.

Annihilate Now!

Scout
He did nothing effectively. He watched as a by-stander as the game went on around him. If Giggs was held to ANY kind of a standard as a footballer these days he'd be getting probably the most stick of the game behind Fellaini.
... so Robben doing next to nothing in the first half was just a random coincedence then? He only really had that one shot - and that was still from ditsance - and when he was up against Carrick funnily enough.

With the ball at his feet it wasn't his best night - he was trying to launch attacks quickly and it didn't come off, but off the ball he did a lot of very good work helping out Carrick and Buttner simultaneously.

Tyrion Lannister

Not saying he wasn't good tonight but he has the mobility of a snail. Would love to see us buy 2 centre mids with a bit pace and drive.
Did he look like a snail when he had a head to head race with Götze and came out on top?

Lawman

Did he look like a snail when he had a head to head race with Götze and came out on top?
Gotze is probably the slowest Bayern player so I don't see your point here? Yes he beat Gotze in a race but that doesn't change the fact he has next to no mobility and it shows in our midfield now with him and Fellaini. When the ginger prince played next to him both sat and it covered this deficiency to some degree. But Fellaini bombs forward and Carricks lack of mobility gets highlighted now. So it's an issue now.

JaffyJoe

Provides RedCafe with shit Twitter news
In games like yesterday he is SO key, his composure and playing style is quite continental. The thing is when the player are around him are not playing well it will directly affect his game.

He has been playing well as of late though.

We definitely need one VERY mobile cm in the window to cover for him on the counter and to get forward too.

Lawman

In games like yesterday he is SO key, his composure and playing style is quite continental. The thing is when the player are around him are not playing well it will directly affect his game.

He has been playing well as of late though.

We definitely need one VERY mobile cm in the window to cover for him on the counter and to get forward too.
I've been a massive Carrick fan but I'd like to see a more dynamic centre midfield now but with the signing of Fellaini unless we go to a 3 and get two mobile beside him with Fellaini being the defensive then I can't see it happening.

JaffyJoe

I've been a massive Carrick fan but I'd like to see a more dynamic centre midfield now but with the signing of Fellaini unless we go to a 3 and get two mobile beside him with Fellaini being the defensive then I can't see it happening.
I definitely see where you are coming from, but all the best teams in the world have at least one player in the mould of Carrick. That role is very important in the modern game, I'd like to see us get two dynamic midfielder's in to compliment him, it also also us the option of 2 or 3 in midfield depending on who we are playing. Personally I don't rate Felliani so I want him as far away from the first team as possible, 4th choice.

Lawman

I definitely see where you are coming from, but all the best teams in the world have at least one player in the mould of Carrick. That role is very important in the modern game, I'd like to see us get two dynamic midfielder's in to compliment him, it also also us the option of 2 or 3 in midfield depending on who we are playing. Personally I don't rate Felliani so I want him as far away from the first team as possible, 4th choice.
Yeah agree mostly with what you say bar the Fellaini part I think he could be excellent for us.

JaffyJoe

Yeah agree mostly with what you say bar the Fellaini part I think he could be excellent for us.
I just don't see it. What kind of player do you envision him being.....

Lawman

I just don't see it. What kind of player do you envision him being.....
Hopefully an all action defensive midfielder with a bit bite and someone who offers us threats at set pieces for and against. He has actually been better on the ball than I thought and always looks to pass forward. I'm getting fed up with Carrick Cleverley not tackling and just jocking players its refreshing to have a bit devilment in our team in Fellaini IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.