Michael Carrick | 2013/14 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.

LR7

Nice to see him getting some well deserved praise. I'm not of the opinion that he's been in poor form this season. I think his perceived poor firm is down to the fact that he's been utilised in a more conservative role, sitting deeper, supposedly screening the back 4, when he needs to be entrusted with dictating our passing more, like last season . The shackles need to be let off him. His composure on the ball and ability to execute the right pass is crucial. Everything good about him is wasted sat too deep. It's one of the most annoying things (there is a long list) about this season.

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
Never understood people saying he is slow. He isn't the most agile player You'll see, but no way he is slow. Outpacing and later outmuscleing fresh Gotze in last 10 minutes of the game isn't really something slow players tend to do.

Eric'sCollar

Asked for his wife's permission before signing up
He will have such a massive role against Bayern. He will be key in letting the back four and other midfielders take a breather. Have to say, if Carrick has an off day, we are out.

I believe he will do well though.

NK86

He will have such a massive role against Bayern. He will be key in letting the back four and other midfielders take a breather. Have to say, if Carrick has an off day, we are out.

I believe he will do well though.
I don't think we will be keeping Bayern out for 90 minutes at the Allianz arena. We need our attackers to actually maintain their recent good form.

Eric'sCollar

I don't think we will be keeping Bayern out for 90 minutes at the Allianz arena. We need our attackers to actually maintain their recent good form.
That has nothing to do with what I was talking about, I agree though that our attacking players need to play well, everyone does. I am just saying in regards to keeping the ball, Carrick will be key because there is a strong chance that Fellaini could be in there and unfortunately he will just turn it over for fun when we get the ball.

kps88

He's useless with the ball in these sort of games. Actually goes into hiding half the time. Summed up when he decided to kick the ball out of play instead of playing on like Rooney and Valencia were tying to do.

Sixpence

Erroneously Promoted
The worst sort of game for him, where the pace is 100mph and he is constantly closed down. He's pointless in a game like this except for providing an extra CB.

Randall Flagg

Worst of the best
He's useless with the ball in these sort of games. Actually goes into hiding half the time. Summed up when he decided to kick the ball out of play instead of playing on like Rooney and Valencia were tying to do.
I think that move had broken down, so he was correct to kick it out. If we had lost the ball we would have had no left back

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
Staying good defensively but terrible with the ball.

NinjaFletch

Completely unlike him to hide in a big game like that.

How out of character.

Kag

Might just be the worst game he's ever played. He mustn't have completed more than 6 or 7 passes. Awful.

Buchan

has whacked the hammer to Roswell
I find it flabbergasting that some people actually thought Michael Carrick would show up against a Pep Guardiola midfield. He retreated into his shell once again when pressed quickly, alá Rome '09 and Wembley '11. No desire to get on the ball whatsoever. I like Carrick but that's the difference between the good players and the very, very best.

Last edited:

Leg-End

He's the anti-Keane. I mean big game like that and you want your centre midfielders to be right up for it and battling, even if we don't have the ball atleast work them hard. We got 10% out of Carrick tonight, need not have been there, he totally withered away.

God I hope to feck we sort the midfield out in the summer.

ArmchairCritic

You got pets me too mines are dead
Best bit of the game is when he received the ball in space and he could've started a counter and he fecking turned around and passed it to Jones or Valencia.

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
I think Moyes was harsh to keep him on the bench.

Gambit

Desperately wants to be a Muppet
Peps team did exactly what they've done in the past. Hustled him off the ball quickly that he then ends always trying to play defensively.

Getsme

It's sad to say but Carricks lost it. It might be time for him to become a fringe player.

Jimy_Hills_Chin

Desperately wants to be ITK
Carrick wanting time on the ball + Guardiola's team not giving Carrick anytime on the ball = anonymous Carrick.

The formula was the same in 2009 and has remained constant since.

Eric'sCollar

Yes he was poor by his standards against the best team in the world but he doesn't deserve the shit storm heading his way on this forum.

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
It's sad to say but Carricks lost it. It might be time for him to become a fringe player.
problem Being is he's always been bullied and shrunk against the very best teams, particularly in tight space, the very best midfielders neutralise pressing teams

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
Just can't cope with high pressure.
None of our players can. It's amazing how shit we are at playing against teams who press hard. Even when Southampton do it against us, we just cower away and hoof it. Kagawa, RVP and Welbeck are the only ones who seem to be able to handle it without just smashing the ball away.

Lu Tze

Utterly dire. He's been living up to his reputation as a nothing player this season.

NinjaFletch

Yes he was poor by his standards against the best team in the world but he doesn't deserve the shit storm heading his way on this forum.
Well he's been poor for about a season after coming off the back of his best one ever. If anyone 'deserves' a shit storm its him and his utter cowardice.

johnmufc

People here are so weird, but so predictable. Very quiet thread after the first leg, in which Carrick was our best or certainly one of our best performers. No comment.

Underwhelming in the second leg, in which we simply hoofed it to our attacking players and hoped for the best, Carrick is destroyed by our genius super-fans, who bellow out the same, lazy, unperceptive, despicable nonsense about Carrick's perceived weaknesses. I bow down to all these sublime geniuses. Carrick is so poor. He is at fault. I am blessed by you noble, knowledgeable citizens of football.

Ekeke

Yep, its a problem with all our midfielders that they arent able to play their way out of being pressured like the top clubs do. Carrick isnt alone there, but since he's been our best CM for some time you'd hope that hes the one that can do it. He can't. And whoever plays next to him cant either.

The only players we had on the pitch that were able to consistantly find a way out of being pressured were Rooney and Kagawa.

NinjaFletch

People here are so weird, but so predictable. Very quiet thread after the first leg, in which Carrick was our best or certainly one of our best performers. No comment.

Underwhelming in the second leg, in which we simply hoofed it to our attacking players and hoped for the best, Carrick is destroyed by our genius super-fans, who bellow out the same, lazy, unperceptive, despicable nonsense about Carrick's perceived weaknesses. I bow down to all these sublime geniuses. Carrick is so poor. He is at fault. I am blessed by you noble, knowledgeable citizens of football.
K

Tell us when he's done well when being pressed quickly?

Eric'sCollar

Well he's been poor for about a season after coming off the back of his best one ever. If anyone 'deserves' a shit storm its him and his utter cowardice.
Calling him a coward his poor form. Getting out numbered in the middle of the park by the best team in the world time and time again makes it tough. He can't exactly go and get the ball, look up and spray passes.

Shamwow

listens to shit music & watches Mrs Brown's Boys
Just got the Geoff Shreeves mental torture treatment:

"Michael, was that a fleeting glimpse of glory but ultimately a devastating defeat?"

Kag

Nah, the stick is warranted. He gave it away repeatedly. I like Carrick very much, but he was probably our worst player.

NinjaFletch

Calling him a coward his poor form. Getting out numbered in the middle of the park by the best team in the world time and time again makes it tough. He can't exactly go and get the ball, look up and spray passes.
No, he's a coward because he hides.

Rooney, to his credit, can play fecking shit and still be demanding the ball and making himself available. Carrick the second he starts to get closed down just lets the game pass him by.

PSingh

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
Nah, the stick is warranted. He gave it away repeatedly. I like Carrick very much, but he was probably our worst player.
I think Fletcher was just as bad tonight. Both were anonymous.

Eric'sCollar

No, he's a coward because he hides.

Rooney, to his credit, can play fecking shit and still be demanding the ball and making himself available. Carrick the second he starts to get closed down just lets the game pass him by.
He has led us in big games before. I understand frustration is high but I can tell you from experience (obviously not from Champions League quarter finals) but when you are up against a superior midfield with more numbers, the game can just pass you by. Calling it hiding and labelling him a coward is a very lazy and basic view of things.

Poor performance, no doubt but he still has my respect.

DFreshKing

Well now I understand why they beat us, why did Fifa let them have more players on the pitch than us?

Bang out of order.

Status
Not open for further replies.