Michael Carrick | 2013/14 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ekeke

Agree he was obviously better than Fletcher, who alarmingly managed 57% pass accuracy as a central midfielder. Unfortunately thats not saying much given Fletcher is obviously past it.

United22

Absolute coward and bottler when the heat is turned on and it has always been like this from both Barcelona finals in 09 and 11. I didn't even realize he was on the pitch. How I miss Scholes and Keane.

kundalini

Completely unlike him to hide in a big game like that.

How out of character.
Sadly, this is accurate. Just looks out of his depth at this level. Caught in possession again and again. Defensively, you are left wondering about his positioning when they scored their 2nd.

He will be very lucky if he is a first choice starter next season given the season he's had.

NinjaFletch

Sadly, this is accurate. Just looks out of his depth at this level. Caught in possession again and again. Defensively, you are left wondering about his positioning when they scored their 2nd.

He will be very lucky if he is a first choice starter next season given the season he's had.
That post may have been dripping with sarcasm

Speak

Step up to my misogyny soapbox
Lack of mobility, lack of ability to travel with the ball - things we all know.

As good as he can be at reading the game defensively, and as good as his passing is, you just need to be able to move with the ball in the centre. Even just little bit.
Modric, Gundogan, Thiago, Toure, Kroos, Vidal and many others....
It just gives the team that energy. And because he can't beat a man or turn well, it dictates if and when he wants the ball. It slows us down.

No reason why he can't do something similar to what Gerrard is doing at Liverpool every other game, but people can't complain about our slow football and at the same time want Carrick in the team. It restricts us going forward and backwards.

Not just based on today's game.

Baxter

Awful tonight as he has been for most of the season. We need to replace him, not find a partner.

ManUtd43vr

Defended him a bit in the match thread. But looking back, he really did not make any attempt to dominate the match. Didn't get on the ball. Was decent-good in defence. Was drained out in the final 30 minutes and failed to provide much cover.

ZDwyr

He just seems to lack that passion. I'm not sure what it is exactly but it's frustrating. He was quite good in the first leg though. Disappointing, but hopefully we'll have better quality in that position next season (no offence to Carrick but I think he is declining a little).

MancFanFromManc

RedCafe Ninja. Stalks the forum undercover, then w
Sad to say it, but he was poor last night. He channeled all his effort into marshaling the defence. When the ball came to him he seemed to forget that he could play our own football too. Gave it away far too easily. Frustrating

Before the game I reckon he was totally geared up for a full on Bayern assault. In truth they were there for the taking last night, but a lack of belief, and more so composure, meant we completely let them off the hook.

bugmat

Agree he was obviously better than Fletcher, who alarmingly managed 57% pass accuracy as a central midfielder. Unfortunately thats not saying much given Fletcher is obviously past it.
Eh? Fletcher was our best CM - stats mean nothing w/o context. Fletcher had a lower PA because he was trying to push our attack and try things while Carrick did little of note bar lose it early on to give them their first chance. Along with Valencia he was the only one who created anything (2 key passes each). Fletcher also had our 2nd highest interceptions after Evra. Only problem was he tired which is understandable with his condition.

Carrick had a memorable year last season, but this is one to forget. He has been poor most of the time bar 1 or 2 performances and really looks physically exhausted every game.

Speak

Step up to my misogyny soapbox
Sad to say it, but he was poor last night. He channeled all his effort into marshaling the defence. When the ball came to him he seemed to forget that he could play our own football too. Gave it away far too easily. Frustrating

Before the game I reckon he was totally geared up for a full on Bayern assault. In truth they were there for the taking last night, but a lack of belief, and more so composure, meant we completely let them off the hook.
I don't think it's to do with him channeling his efforts into defending.

It's that he simply can't travel with the ball, and it's so restricting.
That's fine at home to Palace or Cardiff with no pressure on the ball, but against players who'll press, you need to be able to run past people from time to time. Especially when there's acres of space ahead of you to break into.
And what happens is the one real area Carrick excels in (his passing) becomes useless - because unless Carrick has space, he doesn't really want the ball like usual. And in top games there's no space.

He really needs to be used for certain types of games, and situations from next season.
He still offers an accurate pass, and is perfectly suited to coming on to slow the game down while we're ahead.

Last edited:

dirtygringo

Winner of the 150 Posts in 11 Whole Years Award
Master of the halfhearted tackle. It seems like he is constantly leaning back away from the ball, as if he is afraid it'll jump up and bite him in the face. As such he gets caught flat footed too often and dispossessed quickly. Incredibly frustrating to watch.

ZDwyr

Actually thinking about it now his performance wasn't good at all. If it was Fellaini the whole Caf would be in uproar over it.

Walrus

Oppressed White Male
To be honest I thought last night was the worst I have seen him play for us.

Giving the ball away, sloppy passes and getting caught in possesion, and I didnt really notice any good interceptions or tackles either.

Fletcher has been getting a lot of flak but I thought at least Fletcher looked like he had some bottle for the fight and seemed "active". Carrick was completely anonymous.

MancFanFromManc

RedCafe Ninja. Stalks the forum undercover, then w
I don't think it's to do with him channeling his efforts into defending.

It's that he simply can't travel with the ball, and it's so restricting.
That's fine at home to Palace or Cardiff with no pressure on the ball, but against players who'll press, you need to be able to run past people from time to time. Especially when there's acres of space ahead of you to break into.
And what happens is the one real area Carrick excels in (his passing) becomes useless - because unless Carrick has space, he doesn't really want the ball like usual. And in top games there's no space.

He really needs to be used for certain types of games, and situations from next season.
He still offers an accurate pass, and is perfectly suited to coming on to slow the game down while we're ahead.
Fair post that.

When I watch him live (especially, as you say, against the lesser sides) you can see Rooney & RVP spring into action whenever he receives the ball cos they know he's their best bet for a killer pass

KiD MoYeS

Good Craig got his c'nuppins
He was okay, didn't overly notice him to be honest.

Still reckon he's past his best and should not be a consistent starter next season.

MoneyMay

He just seems to lack that passion. I'm not sure what it is exactly but it's frustrating. He was quite good in the first leg though. Disappointing, but hopefully we'll have better quality in that position next season (no offence to Carrick but I think he is declining a little).

You're right, he was very good in the first leg, but I don't think Carrick lacks any sort of passion. He was absolutely awful yesterday IMO. When the team is poor, he's also going to be poor. He's that type of player and there are many world class players - not saying he is - who are like this, so I don't understand why it keeps being mentioned. The problem for us is that we don't have an orchestrator in the side. As good a passer as Carrick is, he doesn't dominate games, he doesn't have the legs to constantly look for the ball and dictate play. What he's good at is dropping deep and starting attacks. The other problem is that he's 32-years-old and has been overused for the last three seasons. I think that was evident vividly in the second half of last season. What we should have done is bought an alternative/replacement last summer. I'm not saying Fellaini is the "answer", but I'm surprised he hasn't been given a chance in Carrick's role.

ZDwyr

You're right, he was very good in the first leg, but I don't think Carrick lacks any sort of passion. He was absolutely awful yesterday IMO. When the team is poor, he's also going to be poor. He's that type of player and there are many world class players - not saying he is - who are like this, so I don't understand why it keeps being mentioned. The problem for us is that we don't have an orchestrator in the side. As good a passer as Carrick is, he doesn't dominate games, he doesn't have the legs to constantly look for the ball and dictate play. What he's good at is dropping deep and starting attacks. The other problem is that he's 32-years-old and has been overused for the last three seasons. I think that was evident vividly in the second half of last season. What we should have done is bought an alternative/replacement last summer. I'm not saying Fellaini is the "answer", but I'm surprised he hasn't been given a chance in Carrick's role.
Same for me. Fellaini's role in my mind is to eventually replace Carrick. I've always thought this. Obviously with another quality CM coming into the side to take up the creative aspects though.

Walters_19_MuFc

Same for me. Fellaini's role in my mind is to eventually replace Carrick. I've always thought this. Obviously with another quality CM coming into the side to take up the creative aspects though.
Personally I feel some of Fellaini's best games in a Utd shirt have come when he's played the 'Carrick role', more notably, against Everton, Real Sociedad, where he was partnered with Giggs in these two games.

ManUtd43vr

He was fantastic today. Was a lot more creative and made passes like last year. Intercepted their passes very well. And did you see him running on the counter-attack!? That was very good.

Rykker_4united

Supports
Keep Rodgers at Pool.
He was fantastic today. Was a lot more creative and made passes like last year. Intercepted their passes very well. And did you see him running on the counter-attack!? That was very good.
Came here to say that last part. Saw him bursting into space and trying to attack in the final 3rd. Great stuff.

NotoriousISSY

$10mil and I fecked it up!
More like himself. The passes were going to Rooney or Welbeck or Mata as opposed to the right back or left back.

But it was Norwich and I didn't expect any less. That should be his minimum capacity every week as it had been for the previous two seasons.

matherto

ask me about our 50% off sale!
Terrible first half, though he did have to deal with Howson all over him and Cleverley offering no presence next to him.

Second half we was passing forward which was much better.

Truedevil

It's like he was allowed to move up on the pitch. Both him and Cleverley played well and they were crucial in our build up. I don't know why Moyes wanted a tactic where midfielders are not allowed to be part of the attacks.

Rossa

Came here to say that last part. Saw him bursting into space and trying to attack in the final 3rd. Great stuff.
He's actually pretty fast when he gets going. I've seen him catch up to fast players like Walcott on a few occasions. He needs to make those attacking runs more. Back to his last year's self today.

RuudTom83

Any central defender or defensive midfielder would have looked good today, it was an easy match.

The only time it was competitive was in the first half and during that phase i didn't think Carrick did anything "Fantastic" or noteworthy.

redevil2

Really well said there... I am so happy today!!!!:)

RedorDead21

Perhaps the best example of "replace before you need to". A great servant I admire but for me with ambitions going forward should not be a starter in a new look midfield......

SambaBoy

Thought he was very slow and wayward in the first half. Turned it round in the 2nd like most players and had more confidence when on the ball, would like to see him drive forward more.

We need this Carrick on form for us next season if we are to bring in only 1 top CM, or even if we bring in two, he can still be a crucial player. When he plays well, we generally play well.

LR7

I've been moaning all season about him being played too deep (almost like a third CB) but the shackles were finally off today and he was allowed to control the game and control our passing. Over the moon.

Eriku

I wonder if it's a matter of belief or specific instructions, but it was definitely more like the Carrick we know. It's probably more to do with the movement and spaces our players sought out, as he turns on the ball, sees options and then quickly fires off a firm and incisive pass that allows us to get an attack going quickly.

He's not reliant on pace, there's no reason why he can't have a fair few more seasons as an important playmaker for us. I really don't see why people think he's not someone we can rely on.

LR7

Definitely specific instructions as he clearly had more freedom today. He seemed to pop up in more advanced positions, supported attacks and clearly looked like his only brief was not just to sit and supposedly protect the back four.

I find it a massive relief personally because it's irritated me a lot all season.

noodlehair

"It's like..."
Yeah, his terrible season all to do with Moyes. Nothing to do with Carrick being an utter fecking embarassment who has about as much of a backbone as a jellyfish.

I mean, look at his magnificent display today. Jesus fecking christ.

ANY midfielder in the top 3 divisions would be ashamed of playing like that. Carrick clearly isn't because he's done it time and again all season

Status
Not open for further replies.