5.4 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

jeff_goldblum

Pity he never had the confidence, or perhaps the arrogance, to shoot from distance more often because he can really hit them.

kafta

Perpetual Under 11's Team Player
I still expect him to be here next season. Still a very good midfielder.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Hopefully he stays. Can still be a very valuable squad player, though it definitely felt like a farewell at the end with his kids.
Should go down as a United legend IMO. Came in 2006 and was a mainstay in our midfield throughout those 10 years basically. Key part of so many league titles, trophies, and our best sustained run in the champions league... Will miss him when he's gone and will leave a big gap like Scholes has done since he left. There's just nobody else who can pass it like them 2 in our squad currently and it's why he's still so important for us.

Also, the only reason this season was relatively poor for him was because LvG changed from the 4-3-3 for most of it until recently (when Carrick suddenly picked up). He needs to play as a deep lying playmaker like that, sitting at the base of the midfield. Not whatever he was told to do before.

Fer

I guess he is going to be release because he haven't sign a new contract. I hope we can win the FA cup this weekend, so he can say goodbye with a trophy in his hands.

Bwuk

The only guaranteed starter in midfield in the clubs most successful period ever, and yet he's ridiculously under rated.

Amazing player.

Walters_19_MuFc

Hope he gets one more year. If not, then I guess it was a good game to end his time at United. Been a superb player for us. Would have been fitting if his strike went in.

Sid234

I hope he stays for another season.. Does a great job when he has the help in midfield, too old to be the only holding midfielder against top teams. Would suck to see him join Arsenal, hope he heads to A-League or the MLS

Devil may care

So let me get this straight, people want to keep him with Schweinsteiger and then Rooney making up the core of our central midfield options with the water carrier and the mop rounding things? Some room needs to be made, especially if Rooney is going to be infecting midfield next season, you can't carry 3 barely mobile has-beens in midfield.

entropy

Pity he never had the confidence, or perhaps the arrogance, to shoot from distance more often because he can really hit them.
I don't think it is down to any of those attributes. Tactically he was never allowed to take such chances. Ferguson mentioned it several times when he scored from a similar position like the one today. He was never given that freedom to begin with.

Geordopolous

So let me get this straight, people want to keep him with Schweinsteiger and then Rooney making up the core of our central midfield options with the water carrier and the mop rounding things? Some room needs to be made, especially if Rooney is going to be infecting midfield next season, you can't carry 3 barely mobile has-beens in midfield.
So let me get this straight, you want to ruin a nice moment where people are commenting and reminiscing on one of our best midfielders in the last decade. The answer to that is yes apparently. I could see all three having a role next season

Devil may care

So let me get this straight, you want to ruin a nice moment where people are commenting and reminiscing on one of our best midfielders in the last decade. The answer to that is yes apparently. I could see all three having a role next season
Ruin a nice moment? :confused: the posts above me were talking about extending Carrick's contract for a year which is what I replied to. We cannot carry 3 barely mobile has-beens in midfield.

Geordopolous

Ruin a nice moment? :confused: the posts above me were talking about extending Carrick's contract for a year which is what I replied to. We cannot carry 3 barely mobile has-beens in midfield.
All 3 are still capable of performing very well. I wouldn't put the 3 in the same run on side but you could definitely have the 3 of them in the squad playing a their part

Successful

Owes the Caf £25 (With interests)
Also, the only reason this season was relatively poor for him was because LvG changed from the 4-3-3 for most of it until recently (when Carrick suddenly picked up). He needs to play as a deep lying playmaker like that, sitting at the base of the midfield. Not whatever he was told to do before.
He's one of the deepest lying midfielders in the world. He's had to change that a bit when playing for us because we don't require a deep midfielder.

With LVG he's been playing a lot more forward, probably been told to run more and intercept play higher up the field. I don't think it's been successful but no disaster either. He's just better further down the pitch.

Scarecrow

Having a week off
Would be nice if we could transfer his mind into a younger body. Herrera would be a good candidate, as he doesn't seem to know what to do with his anyway.

Devil may care

All 3 are still capable of performing very well. I wouldn't put the 3 in the same run on side but you could definitely have the 3 of them in the squad playing a their part
This is why were are in the mess we are in, keeping old players who can't do it week in and week out for nothing but name value. We need top talents in midfield not guys playing bit parts, that's patchwork stuff and top sides do not carry 3 has-beens in a team that expects to be in a title hunt.

Wednesday at Stoke

Supports
Time Travel
Rooney may not be mobile enough for striker but he is quite mobile for a central midfielder. If given the choice between Carrick and Scweinsteiger, I'd rather keep Carrick, he's far more effective and useful than Schweinsteiger.

Devil may care

Rooney may not be mobile enough for striker but he is quite mobile for a central midfielder. If given the choice between Carrick and Scweinsteiger, I'd rather keep Carrick, he's far more effective and useful than Schweinsteiger.
I don't think Rooney is mobile enough for either role and also lacks the strength to protect the ball these days, but I agree on keeping Carrick over Schweinsteiger, although preferably neither should be in our squad at this point.

Wednesday at Stoke

Supports
Time Travel
I don't think Rooney is mobile enough for either role and also lacks the strength to protect the ball these days, but I agree on keeping Carrick over Schweinsteiger, although preferably neither should be in our squad at this point.
Its pretty hard to find a play maker of Carrick's pedigree who can control the tempo of a game, make incisive passes while shielding the defense effectively at the same time. There's rarely a player of that mold anymore and you can already see the difference in quality when you replace Carrick with Schneiderlin so I'd keep him for another year and see if we can take more time finding a proper replacement.

Devil may care

Its pretty hard to find a play maker of Carrick's pedigree who can control the tempo of a game, make incisive passes while shielding the defense effectively at the same time. There's rarely a player of that mold anymore and you can already see the difference in quality when you replace Carrick with Schneiderlin so I'd keep him for another year and see if we can take more time finding a proper replacement.
The problem is that he's a liability against any team that presses which is most in the PL now, it's like playing with 10 men as he doesn't offer much protection at all now and when teams get about us he's a non factor. I'd give Blind a shot at it before spending another season with a 35 year old who can't run in the side.

Wednesday at Stoke

Supports
Time Travel
The problem is that he's a liability against any team that presses which is most in the PL now, it's like playing with 10 men as he doesn't offer much protection at all now and when teams get about us he's a non factor. I'd give Blind a shot at it before spending another season with a 35 year old who can't run in the side.
Blind is a valid option and a good choice but we have more use for Carrick even as a squad player than freeing up his salary and squad place. There's really not any young players in his position to think he is blocking the path for someone, unlike Rooney.

K2K

"Can Manchester United score? They always score"
We never replaced Keane with a like for like replacement. I don't think we should do the same with Carrick either.

It seems like people just want him to stay no matter what. Whether that means him warming the bench for months on end. I'd think that Carrick fans would remember ,and even Sir Alex alluded to, that he requires a run of games to get into form. He wont be getting that with what people are suggesting.

And we should have been scouting for a replacement for years.

Morgan is good at breaking up play,but he's not a playmaker. How about we pair him with someone that dictate play but a bit further forward. A Gundogan like passer. It's up to the club to solve this issues.

Devil may care

Blind is a valid option and a good choice but we have more use for Carrick even as a squad player than freeing up his salary and squad place. There's really not any young players in his position to think he is blocking the path for someone, unlike Rooney.
I think the old timer that plays a bit part role will be Schweinsteiger next season though, we don't need two of them, especially not when the midfield is also likely to have Rooney in it.

Mike09

To me this season is his worst season and still our current best midfield. It shows how poor our current midfields are. We need to find Carrick's replacement, someone who is not clueless on the ball, someone who can dictate a tempo. This season should be his last season and we should move on by finding his replacement but do we have anyone available? If we can't find a proper replacement then I don't see why it will hurt us to keep Carrick for another season if we have yet find a proper replacement for him and clearly this season he is still better than our current midfield. And what I meant by proper replacement is someone who is top or world class like Buquest, Veratti and etc. If we are going to sign another Schneiderlin or some unknown players then we might should just keep Carrick to avoid the risk of flop.

Geordopolous

This is why were are in the mess we are in, keeping old players who can't do it week in and week out for nothing but name value. We need top talents in midfield not guys playing bit parts, that's patchwork stuff and top sides do not carry 3 has-beens in a team that expects to be in a title hunt.
You keep saying has-beens as if they aren't capable of performing well. Schweinsteiger when fit is still one of the better midfield a going around imo and only struggled last season as he doesn't know anyone.

We know what Rooney and Carrick are capable on their day and tbh Rooney has had an awesome 2016. You can't get rid of these 3 players at the same time

Devil may care

You keep saying has-beens as if they aren't capable of performing well. Schweinsteiger when fit is still one of the better midfield a going around imo and only struggled last season as he doesn't know anyone.

We know what Rooney and Carrick are capable on their day and tbh Rooney has had an awesome 2016. You can't get rid of these 3 players at the same time
I keep saying has-beens because they are well past their best IMO, the odd game here and there doesn't alter that. As far as Rooney in 2016 goes, lets just agree to disagree as that discussion wont go anywhere.

kundalini

With Carrick on the pitch in PL games this season, our goals record is 25 - 18 in 1973 mins, compared to 24 - 17 in the 1447 mins he wasn't on the pitch.

He started when we lost to Midtylland away, Sunderland away, Bournemouth away, Norwich at home, Arsenal away, Stoke away, Spurs away. His experience didn't seem to help us a great deal in those games.

Clearly he hasn't been our worst performer but this has been a season in which there was a huge opening for someone to control the tempo of games (i.e. get us to get the ball forwards a lot faster) and instead the likes of Carrick, Schweinsteiger and Blind have effectively run the clock down, especially when the score has been 0-0.

ti vu

With Carrick on the pitch in PL games this season, our goals record is 25 - 18 in 1973 mins, compared to 24 - 17 in the 1447 mins he wasn't on the pitch.

He started when we lost to Midtylland away, Sunderland away, Bournemouth away, Norwich at home, Arsenal away, Stoke away, Spurs away. His experience didn't seem to help us a great deal in those games.

Clearly he hasn't been our worst performer but this has been a season in which there was a huge opening for someone to control the tempo of games (i.e. get us to get the ball forwards a lot faster) and instead the likes of Carrick, Schweinsteiger and Blind have effectively run the clock down, especially when the score has been 0-0.
Philosophy. You can't blame Blind, Bastian, Carrick solely on this. It's LVG way of play. Do you blame the striker to not shoot enough, where they are only allowed minimal touch and most outside the box?

Have you stayed awake all games? The ones who slowed down supposed quick counter attacks were not Carrick or Blind, it's Mata, Rooney, Herrera, Felaini,... whom play in more position but have no pace. Many times, the ball were played quickly up front, but then being slowed down since these guys could't beat the markers. The ball ended up being played back to our defenders.

Last edited:

Striker10

"Ronaldo and trophies > Manchester United football
Carricks experience is over stated and i'm still annoyed him flying out to win the ball, when were were comfortable against Leicester. We just need to freshen it up.

Ixion

Glad he got to lift a trophy in (probably) his last game. Great player for us.

Status
Not open for further replies.