Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
Don't know if the contract situation is affecting his performances. The word is that of the club offers him a contract, it won't be until the seasons end. Think that's an insult. The guy has served us 10 years. Let him know where he stands. I personally think he should go.

Sylar

Lack of legs is a problem. Still has the vision but sometimes sees the game go by him.

Barca84

Supports
Doesn't support Barca
Lack of legs is a problem. Still has the vision but sometimes sees the game go by him.
That's always been the case though if you ask me.

Doesn't have the quality to create space for himself a la Scholes and often needs an absolute dogs age to pick a pass.

Would he be kept if Pep was coming in? No chance. Will Mourinho keep him if he's on board next year? Nope.

izzydiggler

Well I'm gonna start it.

Coward of a player, who's on the ball abilities doesn't make up for his lack of off the ball presence, physical agility and mental weakness.
Carrick has always been that type of player IMO...when surrounded with better players in previous years he did an important job of 'keeping the team ticking' but he's never been one to 'take over', especially now the legs have gone.

Minimalist

Didn't get to see the match today but I can already imagine what he was like.

Carrick can't cope with competitive midfielders - he's just one of those players that is there mainly for nice quick easy passing and support with better players around him (Scholes in Carricks best years). His defensive work isn't up to much either.

It's not harsh, it's just the player he is - useful but never required. Also the idea of him being a 'leader' or captain in any side trying to win trophies is borderline lunacy.

M Bison

Supports
York City
Unfair to use him as the scapegoat for the team. Front to back we were awful, apart from the obvious one or two, not many who deserve to be in a Utd shirt.

Devil may care

Prodded one or two passes through the lines but in truth we were so deep bar Martial there wasn't really anyone to pass to. Can't cope with the high press but that has been the case for years.

United22

A total of 0 bollocks were found between him and Schneiderlin today. Hopeless pairing

criticalanalysis

Carrick has always been that type of player IMO...when surrounded with better players in previous years he did an important job of 'keeping the team ticking' but he's never been one to 'take over', especially now the legs have gone.
I know and even during those 'good' years I'd argue he still underperformed. Even with all the tools for him to play good, he never really dominated midfield or made his mark.

He's incredibly overrated and someone, who doesn't work hard enough for me. I'm not expecting Stevie G, Roy of the Rovers stuff but I don't think he has the courage, effort or mentality (not to mention legs also) to actually try and change a game that bypasses him.

Mata was terrible today but at least he tried to track back, recycle possession and offered an option. That's the absolute minimum you should expect.

If you look at the first two goals, I'd say Carrick had as big a part as anyone in why we conceded them.

The first, it was a high ball in the centre of the circle and he makes a pathetic attempt at trying to head it. He's get under it and it goes back towards Smalling/Blind. The second he just ducked under it.

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
I know and even during those 'good' years I'd argue he still underperformed. Even with all the tools for him to play good, he never really dominated midfield or made his mark.

He's incredibly overrated and someone, who doesn't work hard enough for me. I'm not expecting Stevie G, Roy of the Rovers stuff but I don't think he has the courage, effort or mentality (not to mention legs also) to actually try and change a game that bypasses him.

Mata was terrible today but at least he tried to track back, recycle possession and offered an option. That's the absolute minimum you should expect.

If you look at the first two goals, I'd say Carrick had as big a part as anyone in why we conceded them.

The first, it was a high ball in the centre of the circle and he makes a pathetic attempt at trying to head it. He's get under it and it goes back towards Smalling/Blind. The second he just ducked under it.
If you look when our fullbacks or centrebacks have the ball, Carrick will actively place himself behind an opposition player so he isn't in a position to receive it, he isn't brave enough to take the ball under pressure, when he does collect it off the defense he's so far back he isn't in a position to cause the opposition any concern. For someone who's main asset is supposedly his ability to keep things ticking over he goes completely missing in games we need that asset most. Those who will point to his age as the reason his performances have deteriated need only look at the likes of Scholes and Pirlo. I can understand and appreciate it will effect other aspects of his game but bring able to pass and control a game it does not, not in this modern day of training and technology.

Esquire

Well I'm gonna start it.

Coward of a player, who's on the ball abilities doesn't make up for his lack of off the ball presence, physical agility and mental weakness.
He's been a good servant for over 10 years, he's scored some good goals and put in great performances. I don't think he's a coward but he is definitely not a leader. Unfortunately we have lost too many leaders in this respect over the past few years without replacing character players.

MyOnlySolskjaer

Creator of Player Performance threads
Shame his career with us is going to end like this with no extension in sight. He's been great for us and can't really argue against him not getting a new contract. Needs to go.

noodlehair

"It's like..."
When literally the only time you notice a player is when he's caught jogging about pointlessly in TV replays of the opposition's goals, that's not good.

Did he actually touch the ball at all in the second half? I mean at least some of our rubbish players are rubbish because you notice them trying to do something and doing it badly. Carrick doesn't even seem aware there's a football game going on half the time. He just wanders about the pitch looking confused, like some kind of really boring zoo animal.

criticalanalysis

He's been a good servant for over 10 years, he's scored some good goals and put in great performances. I don't think he's a coward but he is definitely not a leader. Unfortunately we have lost too many leaders in this respect over the past few years without replacing character players.
I respect his service for the club but I still think he's a coward (ok ok harsh words but it's accumulated over the years). I will quote you the above posters by what I mean:

If you look when our fullbacks or centrebacks have the ball, Carrick will actively place himself behind an opposition player so he isn't in a position to receive it, he isn't brave enough to take the ball under pressure, when he does collect it off the defense he's so far back he isn't in a position to cause the opposition any concern. For someone who's main asset is supposedly his ability to keep things ticking over he goes completely missing in games we need that asset most. Those who will point to his age as the reason his performances have deteriated need only look at the likes of Scholes and Pirlo. I can understand and appreciate it will effect other aspects of his game but bring able to pass and control a game it does not, not in this modern day of training and technology.
When literally the only time you notice a player is when he's caught jogging about pointlessly in TV replays of the opposition's goals, that's not good.

Did he actually touch the ball at all in the second half? I mean at least some of our rubbish players are rubbish because you notice them trying to do something and doing it badly. Carrick doesn't even seem aware there's a football game going on half the time. He just wanders about the pitch looking confused, like some kind of really boring zoo animal.
The bolded parts are what get me. I can't actually see Carrick being on the pitch, he doesn't involve himself or put himself in disadvantageous situations. And the latter part, I don't mean 'oh he should try to dribble and force the game forward/drive a pass forward (the way Blind does, which I admire and acknowledge the riskiness of)' type of way, I mean why isn't he turning with the ball and playing it forward OR even MOVING with it?

Watch a game next time and see the amount of times, he takes a touch to control the ball and literally waits ON it for a pass even if there's no one around him. I'm not expecting him to be a ball carrier but he has absolute zero ambition to do it. By dawdling on it, he's already set the tempo of the pass, which is standing still.

I loathe his style and his mentality. He's a bygone player imo.

NoPace

That's always been the case though if you ask me.

Doesn't have the quality to create space for himself a la Scholes and often needs an absolute dogs age to pick a pass.

Would he be kept if Pep was coming in? No chance. Will Mourinho keep him if he's on board next year? Nope.
I actually think Pep would have kept him. He plays Xabi Alonso a lot over arguably better options and loves a passing DM. I think Pep would move Schneiderlin to CM like he did with Mascherano, since Schneiderlin is mobile, tough and a great tackler but lacks the technical ability for a Pep midfield and he'd be far more worried about replacing guys like Fellaini, Jones and whoever the hell is our RW. Carrick would survive another year as a DM option.

But yeah, he's basically done here. I could see him doing well for a lower Prem team that plays 4-3-3 and needs a passer and holder at the base. Newcastle need one badly, whether they stay up or go down. Shelvey is holding right now and that's probably not going to work.

itso 7

I would keep him because non of our options bar Schweinsteiger have the passing game to play his role effectively and we know all about Schweinsteiger's fitness issues. If we brought in a defensive b2b CM with drive and a No.10 we could have a top class midfield that has a bit of everything.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
We have to find a long term solution. Giving him another contract is just kicking the can down the road.

Walters_19_MuFc

I'd keep Carrick, especially if we play a 433. He shown yesterday that he is still able to control the game, providing he has energy in midfield around him, which he did. West Ham couldn't get near him. Plus, we've got no one, yes, even Schweinstieger, who can play that role. We do need to buy a deep lying playmaker, though, so that next season we can slowly faze him out.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
In hindsight, it worked because he had two in front of him who did a lot of running about to allow him the time to control the game. If we had started with 2 holding midfielders, I think they would have just kept us under constant pressure with no outlet. Then, as has been shown this season, especially when the manager is in a cowardly mood, Michael then disappears or get overrun. This midfield three worked last season, he could rest Michael and put Morgan in there, but this was the one midfield that seriously worked last season.

Walters_19_MuFc

In hindsight, it worked because he had two in front of him who did a lot of running about to allow him the time to control the game. If we had started with 2 holding midfielders, I think they would have just kept us under constant pressure with no outlet. Then, as has been shown this season, especially when the manager is in a cowardly mood, Michael then disappears or get overrun. This midfield three worked last season, he could rest Michael and put Morgan in there, but this was the one midfield that seriously worked last season.
100% agree. Its a shame Van Gaal stopped playing the 433/4141, with a midfield three of Carrick, Herrera and Fellaini, because as you said, we looked a lot better. Actually, apart from Schneiderlin, none of our midfielders really suit a 4231. I'm hoping Van Gaal will now stick with this formation between now and the end of the season.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
100% agree. Its a shame Van Gaal stopped playing the 433/4141, with a midfield three of Carrick, Herrera and Fellaini, because as you said, we looked a lot better. Actually, apart from Schneiderlin, none of our midfielders really suit a 4231. I'm hoping Van Gaal will now stick with this formation between now and the end of the season.
I think signing both BFS and Morgan muddied the waters a bit. Morgan was enough or maybe him and another youngster. I suppose having the chance to sign BFS was irresistable. It has caused more problems than it has solved.

DenisIrwin

Thought he had a better game than Rojo and Herrera - so not our worst player. A long way from being one of our better players though.

Walters_19_MuFc

I think signing both BFS and Morgan muddied the waters a bit. Morgan was enough or maybe him and another youngster. I suppose having the chance to sign BFS was irresistable. It has caused more problems than it has solved.
Ye. Well, I guess Van Gaal signed the two because he knew he wanted to sway towards a 4231, which hasn't really worked for us. If we stayed with the 433, we should have looked to get a similar player to Carrick in the holding role, whilst getting someone like Gundogan (who we were in for) to play slightly above.

Something like:

Herrera/Fellaini Gundogan/Herrera
Carrick/Holding Mid

I like Schneiderlin, but in a 433, he's neither a holder or a number 8, in my opinion. Same goes for an aging Schweinstieger. Maybe he could have rotated with Carrick in the holding role, but he doesn't press with enough intensity to play slightly above.

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
Is he really getting praised for his game yesterday? He was OK but He was literally given 10 yards of space by West Ham whenever he had the ball, and what did he really do with it? I can remember a couple of decent passes but I'd hope most players would be able to do the same when given near unlimited time on the ball.

Giant Midget

Aka - rooney_10119
When we first signed BFS, I thought he would rotate with Blind and Carrick for the deepest midfield spot and with Fellaini, Herrera and Schneiderlin for one of the two box to box roles. Instead, we've seen Blind go to CB, and both Carrick and BFS play together in one of the slowest spines in the PL. It's been a disaster tactically and in squad management.

This is what our midfield should have looked like:

DM (Blind / Carrick / BFS)
B2B (Fellaini / Herrera / Schneiderlin / BFS) for the two spots.

Devil may care

We shouldn't be devising ways to keep Carrick for another season IMO, we should be thanking him for his service and parting ways in the summer, it's time we had players that can go twice a week and not require someone else to cover their weaknesses.

Status
Not open for further replies.