5.4 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Shimo

Excellent game but, definitely is a case of legs have gone. His contract is up and we've got an elder midfielder in Schweiny already. Need to bring in another top midfielder preferably but, even if not, Blind needs to take his place after being replaced by a top defender.

Great great servant and for the first time today saw him really being a vocal leader with the way he was talking to the younger players like Martial.

Devil may care

Schweinsteiger looks about 50 I can't believe he is 2 years younger than me!
Until you mentioned it I hadn't given it any thought, but he's 5 years younger than me and looks at least 5 years older. The main issue is the timber he's carrying though, he should take the international break off and spend it in the gym.

Sylar

Ive noticed in the last two games, when we have a goal kick, he drops back between the two CBS, who then push out and the full backs go out even wider to allow Carrick to distribute. I think it would work even better if we had Shaw on the left and if Darmian was much better on the right at getting forward. (and Smalling didnt panic with the ball at his feet).

Mike09

My MOTM. His vision, passing and dictate the tempo was very good today. Second half his defending contribution was very good and vital for our victory. Not his best season but he's still our best centre midfield at the moment.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
If we planned on extending his contract, surely we would have started speaking to him.
We really should tell him where things stand. We owe him that much.

Devil may care

Keeping Carrick and Scwiensteiger would be stupid, taking up squad places with immobile old players who struggle to stay fit, one is bad enough but two is suicide.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Keeping Carrick and Scwiensteiger would be stupid, taking up squad places with immobile old players who struggle to stay fit, one is bad enough but two is suicide.
Playing them together is stupid, keeping them both isn't.

BAMSOLA

Has issues!
Supports
A Crack Habit.
Yeah, I can't wrap my head around the reasons why keeping two of our most experienced players around even if they are only squad players would be "stupid" especially in a squad as inexperienced as ours.

Devil may care

Playing them together is stupid, keeping them both isn't.
Yes it is, both are way past their best with no legs and shouldn't be more than last 30 minute "shut up shop" options, you don't need 2 of those in a squad.

Devil may care

Yeah, I can't wrap my head around the reasons why keeping two of our most experienced players around even if they are only squad players would be "stupid" especially in a squad as inexperienced as ours.
Playing immobile old has-beens is stupid, especially having 2 of them in an 18 man squad taking up space where we could bring in quality that can actually play regularly and not need their CM partner to do all their running for them.
One of this type of luxury is ok, but two of them is just pointless, experience isn't everything, it's a word used to justify players hanging around after they are physically shot.

Pexbo

Supports
Big Days
Yes it is, both are way past their best with no legs and shouldn't be more than last 30 minute "shut up shop" options, you don't need 2 of those in a squad.
Both are super experienced squad players who organise everyone around them. As long as there is legs alongside them one should play.

The issue has been when they've played together or with Fellaini.

Pexbo

Supports
Big Days
Playing immobile old has-beens is stupid, especially having 2 of them in an 18 man squad taking up space where we could bring in quality that can actually play regularly and not need their CM partner to do all their running for them.
One of this type of luxury is ok, but two of them is just pointless, experience isn't everything, it's a word used to justify players hanging around after they are physically shot.
We have 28 players in our squad.

Devil may care

Both are super experienced squad players who organise everyone around them. As long as there is legs alongside them one should play.

The issue has been when they've played together or with Fellaini.
The issue for anyone playing with them is when we don't have the ball we are down to 10 men, that's no good and neither should be starting at all next season, the midfield needs a top player that can play most games in the role, not 2 immobile old guys jockeying for a role..

We have 28 players in our squad.
Match day is an 18 man squad and only one of them should be in it next season.

BAMSOLA

Has issues!
Supports
A Crack Habit.
As mentioned you have the size of the squad incorrect, and you don't have to play them both together unless the occasion suits or even play them consistently as starters. We also don't have a CM in our entire squad currently who can bring to the table what an on form Carrrick can and as yesterdays showed he is still not finished as a premiership player yet.

As for Bastian I feel that some have written him off too soon as well as I still think he is getting used to the prem and will be better for his troubles this season as he looks a little off the pace(as have most of our players on random occasions so this may be a coaching and management issue). The fact is having a player of Bastian's experience even if it is only in the dressing room is a God send when it comes to bring through younger players.

That type of experience and professionalism is something you cannot easily replace so it would a silly decision to get rid of him simply because he cannot start up to 60 games a season anymore.

Devil may care

As mentioned you have the size of the squad incorrect, and you don't have to play them both together unless the occasion suits or even play them consistently as starters. We also don't have a CM in our entire squad currently who can bring to the table what an on form Carrrick can and as yesterdays showed he is still not finished as a premiership player yet.

As for Bastian I feel that some have written him off too soon as well as I still think he is getting used to the prem and will be better for his troubles this season as he looks a little off the pace(as have most of our players on random occasions so this may be a coaching and management issue). The fact is having a player of Bastian's experience even if it is only in the dressing room is a God send when it comes to bring through younger players.

That type of experience and professionalism is something you cannot easily replace so it would a silly decision to get rid of him simply because he cannot start up to 60 games a season anymore.
I haven't got the match day squad wrong, it's 18 players, do you really see them both sitting on the bench and accepting it? I highly doubt it, and you don't need two of them there, only one to come in late as a 3rd CM. Carrick had a good game yesterday against a 1 man midfield, most of his games this season he's looked like a statue and unable to keep up with the pace, keeping him is more of the same treading water that got us in the mess we are in, we should replace players with top quality when they start declining heavily which Carrick has, instead of keeping them until the wheels completely fall off.

You want to keep the experience then put Carrick on the coaching staff, he can add it from there and leave Scwheinsteiger to be the guy that comes off the bench in games when we are looking to close out a game. Keeping both means we'd almost certainly have one of them starting games most of the time and that's not good for this teams chances of progressing.

settembrini

I said last summer that this could be Carrick's last season with us and nowadays I'm convinced we need to move him on. The days were he still looks like a top player are few and far between.

Di Maria's angel

Captain of Moanchester United
Noticed that he was glued to Yaya all game. Never game him any room, classical case of having him in his pocket.

Still ill

Fantasy Football Champ 2018
The issue for anyone playing with them is when we don't have the ball we are down to 10 men, that's no good and neither should be starting at all next season, the midfield needs a top player that can play most games in the role, not 2 immobile old guys jockeying for a role..
That's simply not true. It's a different argument entirely from saying the likes of Carrick hasn't got the legs anymore (he hasn't). Positionally, he's still superb and capable of making crucial interceptions and making us difficult to penetrate if we're up against it. Tough to see how you can make that argument after watching him yesterday.

Laphroaig

It would be so stupid to let Carrick go. Replace Fellaini instead.

And is Hodgson actually considering not bringing Carrick to the Euros, or is he giving him a break? They desperately need him this summer. After that the NT should plan for the future.
That's simply not true. It's a different argument entirely from saying the likes of Carrick hasn't got the legs anymore (he hasn't). Positionally, he's still superb and capable of making crucial interceptions and making us difficult to penetrate if we're up against it. Tough to see how you can make that argument after watching him yesterday.
Organisation as well. Just look at City's defense with and without Kompany. It's not just that he's their best defender, he has regressed, but he's the one who keeps the clowns in check.

Devil may care

Yesterday we played against a one man midfield as Yaya is incredibly lazy, most of the time when playing hard working opposition they have a free run past him one on one, which means to accommodate him the other CM basically stays put rather than supporting the attack, which limits our play. It's just not worth it, there are plenty of players out there that can do the job he does without sacrificing mobility in midfield.

Man Utd 1:0 Everton

FC Ronaldo

Posts stuff that's been said before in tweet form
Approx 42 mins and 45 seconds he just did a highlight reel over the shoulder dink pass to loop over an oncoming Everton attacker by the half way line. It was glorious.

Don't suppose you have it @GifLord ?

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?
He's been far too comfortable doing nothing useful in the game. When he actually bothers to get on the ball he's been the only one capable of opening up the play and giving us some kind of attacking impetus but that's been so rare.

Minimalist

Poor game but Everton are doing all the have to render him useless (press him).

binary bot
His unwillingness to hit a long pass has been baffling in this game, before the goal it was him and Schniderlin just exchanging passes before the latter took the initiative.

kundalini

Watched Leicester just before United, Drinkwater looked 10 times the player that Carrick is right now; nevermind Kante. Just embarrassing.

Devil may care

It's like we have 10 men when we lose the ball, he just can't get around the pitch enough and it makes it harder for him to get into space to utilize his passing..

marlowe78

United have had trouble figuring things out in the Post-SAF era and one of those things seems to be moving beyond Carrick as a holding MF. We'd better get it sorted because his legs are gone.

Walters_19_MuFc

Wasn't great today, but was really good two weeks ago against City. Just how it goes. I still think he's at best as a holding midfielder in a 433.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
Wasn't great today, but was really good two weeks ago against City. Just how it goes. I still think he's at best as a holding midfielder in a 433.
If we keep him it needs to be on the used sparingly basis and have to sign a replacement. Michael is great on his day, but those days are few and far between.

settembrini

We have to drop him. He couldn't cope with Everton pressing him today and away at Tottenham it will be even worse.

m1y2

I think he was good when on the ball but the problems is always the same with him, we are overran so unless he hits balls like Scholes and dictates play he shouldn't be on the pitch and and less and less team will come to play us and stay back, Carrick's game is nullified when he's under pressure, he would be brilliant player in the 80's or somewhere in Italy...

Acole9

Outstanding
I'd forgotten he was even on the pitch, not a good performance.

MyOnlySolskjaer

Creator of Player Performance threads
Not worth being critical about and I mean that with respect as I loved him in the back end of Sir Alex's years but it's pretty blatant that he really shouldn't be playing week in/week out for us.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
Not worth being critical about and I mean that with respect as I loved him in the back end of Sir Alex's years but it's pretty blatant that he really shouldn't be playing week in/week out for us.
He should be rested as he's had a couple of weeks off. Some of the others have played up to two internationals and some have travelled across the world.

Status
Not open for further replies.