Michael Carrick | 2021/22 Interim-Interim Manager Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
People are complaining of how we played in 2 games with Carrick? 2 games with alternative tactics but consistent good to decent result?

People are acting like Klopp and Tuchel in the PL were able to sort their teams out after 2 games of their first management too.

Carrick has shown some good tactics of a new manager - you do wonder how we might play if he had a pre-season or able to target some of his own players aswell

Anyway, that doesn't need to be done right now - Rangnick can come (have heard he is bringing his own coaches) and do his own management style and I'd be happy with Carrick to learn from him as much as he learnt from LVG, SAF and Mourinho. It would give us a better interim manager always in hand.

P-Nut

fan of well-known French footballer Fabinho
Although the first half in particular was a tough watch I think he's done really well in his 2 games in charge. Sure its been pragmatic, but I think anyone playing Villareal and Chelsea away would be pragmatic. Especially in the context of our current situation and the fact Chelsea are on fire at the moment and just destroyed Juve 4-0 without ever getting out of 2nd gear.

Villareal away in the CL with the risk of bombing out if you lose, and away to the champions of Europe on an absolute tear at present - 4 points, perfectly well done.

He'll obviously be kept on under Rangnick, and it'll be interesting to see how he does when he eventually moves on to a management gig somewhere else, what style of football he actually implements.

padzilla

Hipster
You can put the cautious displays down to two tricky opponents away from home, it would be interesting to see what the tactics would be against a team we would be expecting to hammer at Old Trafford.
Not having Shaw and Maguire yesterday was a big help but I suspect when they are no longer suspended or injured they will be once again among the first names on the team sheet sadly, simply because of their status as English darlings.
You would be pretty churlish though to criticise Carrick on the grounds of what he's done as caretaker manager so far.

Mr PG

United haven't been able to defend successfully for 3 seasons even when we needed a draw to progress to the cl knockout stages last season ...we were 2-0 down inside 20 minutes. People saying if this or that team had scored with their chances then the game could have been different and guess what thy didn't but that is every game and every other team. Weird negative vibe when Carrick has helped us progress to the CL knockout stages against a very tricky villareal and missing all of Maguire and varane and Shaw.

AjaxCunian

vexingwijsneus
Supports
Ajax & United
I think more people have problems with what he's actually saying, the ideas he is voicing, than the tactics vs Chelsea / Villareal.

Then again, the caf has demoted pressers to meaningless to defend Ole a long time ago.

Mr PG

Scholes, Kean , GN all taking turns to shit on Carrick when they defended previous guy through all the mess. They're either over-compensating or pissed that he staid. Carricks has shown me more in 2 games thanOle in 3 seasons. Not afraid of the players at all.

Mr PG

People are a bit naive if they think RR can do more with the same set of players in 2 games. Remember Klopp took 4 yrs to win anything at Liverpool before shitting on Carrick whom in my opinion has done a terrific job with an injury ravaged squad in 2 very tough away games.

He had a midfield of Fred, a 33 yrd old Matic and McTominay to pick from.

captaincantona

Not bothered by how he has done...it’s two matches...it’s fine...but the content of his interview worried me...very Ole-ish aversion to reality. when he said he was proud of the lads- who have had one of the lowest work rates in the league...the exact same team who have been strolling for weeks. As Keane said, it’s the basics of the job to give 100% and a lot of these players haven’t been doing that- it’s nothing to be proud of and I’m not saying hang the players out to dry in public like Mourinho but you do get the feeling that the whole camp is comfortable in underperforming because they are not loosing their place regardless. It’s a balance I guess between a good mood in the camp and a leave of expectation. Carrick and co have built what seems to be like a fuking soccer summer camp for fat kids feel to the place where underperforming results in praise so as not to damage confidence. These are professionals - don’t rip them a new one but with a new boss coming in set the tone - this season has been fuking awful and every player has a chance now under the new boss to stake a claim to a starting spot. No one is safe. It’s a new manager with new ideas. Everyone needs to step up or feck off.

Also, he said we have always pressed well up high except for a few games? Smacks of Ole talking about fine margins and is fuking delusional. I’m again with Keane. Carrick has been in the dugout for 3 years so he can fuk off with his back patting and putting his arm around multi millionaire players who don’t seem to value the basics. If he thinks that what we have been doing the last 3 years is pressing Rangnick will piss himself...same way Tuchel and Klopp and Pep smirk about us in press conferences after we play them - even if we win! because they know we are light years off their level of technical application and consistency. Like Tuchel yesterday - he is not even bothered they dropped points...he knows they played us off the park and 9/10 they win that game...

Not a fan of the feel goods first factor at United. It’s not professional. Again, I don’t want to see a Mourinho blame game either...but hopefully Rangnick strikes a better balance because his attitude seems very close to Ole’s...and I don’t think that attitude has a place at the elite level.

Last edited:

AjaxCunian

vexingwijsneus
Supports
Ajax & United
Not bothered by how he has done...it’s two matches...it’s fine...but the content of his interview worried me...very Ole-ish aversion to reality. when he said he was proud of the lads- who have had one of the lowest work rates in the league...the exact same team who have been strolling for weeks. As Keane said, it’s the basics of the job to give 100% and a lot of these players haven’t been doing that- it’s nothing to be proud of and I’m not saying hang the players out to dry in public like Mourinho but you do get the feeling that the whole camp is comfortable in underperforming because they are not loosing their place regardless. It’s a balance I guess between a good mood in the camp and a leave of expectation. Carrick and co have built what seems to be like a fuking soccer summer camp for fat kids feel to the place where underperforming results in praise so as not to damage confidence. These are professionals - don’t rip them a new one but with a new boss coming in set the tone - this season has been fuking awful and every player has a chance now under the new boss to stake a claim to a starting spot. No one is safe. It’s a new manager with new ideas. Everyone needs to step up or feck off.

Also, he said we have always pressed well up high except for a few games? Smacks of Ole talking about fine margins and is fuking delusional. I’m again with Keane. Carrick has been in the dugout for 3 years so he can fuk off with his back patting and putting his arm around multi millionaire players who don’t seem to value the basics. If he thinks that what we have been doing the last 3 years is pressing Rangnick will piss himself...same way Tuchel and Klopp and Pep smirk about us in press conferences after we play them - even if we win! because they know we are light years off their level of technical application and consistency. Like Tuchel yesterday - he is not even bothered they dropped points...he knows they played us off the park and 9/10 they win that game...

Not a fan of the feel goods first factor at United. It’s not professional. Again, I don’t want to see a Mourinho blame game either...but hopefully Rangnick strikes a better balance because his attitude seems very close to Ole’s...and I don’t think that attitude has a place at the elite level.
Perfect post.

Godfather

Yes to all that

VanDeBank

Ma’am
People are a bit naive if they think RR can do more with the same set of players in 2 games. Remember Klopp took 4 yrs to win anything at Liverpool before shitting on Carrick whom in my opinion has done a terrific job with an injury ravaged squad in 2 very tough away games.

He had a midfield of Fred, a 33 yrd old Matic and McTominay to pick from.
The side isn't injury ravaged.
Shaw and Maguire being absent benefited us. Pogba and Greenwood aren't starters.

Foxbatt

Shaw and Maguire being absent benefited us. Pogba and Greenwood aren't starters.
Plus he could have so many other variations too if he wanted. Getting a draw at Chelsea is a great result. The way we played was terrible though. His two games showed two things.
1. Ole never listed to him at all or
2. He is part of the problem.

Bebestation

Telles is a next level of shit.

Shaw is much better as a complete fullback.

All this talk about English perfection over others is rubbish.

VanDeBank

Ma’am
Plus he could have so many other variations too if he wanted. Getting a draw at Chelsea is a great result. The way we played was terrible though. His two games showed two things.
1. Ole never listed to him at all or
2. He is part of the problem.
One is false. Ole tried playing more progressive football before it went wrong and he started parking the bus.

If Carrick & co knew how to teach a coordinated press, we'd have seen it by now.

The suggestion that we should keep him as a youth coach is laughable.

Telles is a next level of shit.

Shaw is much better as a complete fullback.

All this talk about English perfection over others is rubbish.
No doubt, but Shaw has been awful this season. He needs to get it together.

Classical Mechanic

United haven't been able to defend successfully for 3 seasons even when we needed a draw to progress to the cl knockout stages last season ...we were 2-0 down inside 20 minutes. People saying if this or that team had scored with their chances then the game could have been different and guess what thy didn't but that is every game and every other team. Weird negative vibe when Carrick has helped us progress to the CL knockout stages against a very tricky villareal and missing all of Maguire and varane and Shaw.
That's just not true. We put in plenty of performances like this under Ole. Carrick had us playing super negative low block football, in the game against Chelsea probably more negatively than we ever even played under Ole in big games. Go back to the 2-0 victory away at City in March of this year. A similar surrender of possession but more shots with 8 against 3 last night and overall we were better defending against chance creation with an xG conceded against City of 1.5 against 2.9 xG conceded against Chelsea last night.

Decent enough results but Carrick hasn't shown anything interesting as a coach in my opinion. I'm looking forward to RR taking the reigns and hopefully we'll start playing a style of football that befits the stature of the club.

NicolaSacco

Supports
Ipswich
Probably been said multiple times but he seems a completely different person on the touchline compared to the last couple of years. Difficult to know how much it affects the players, I’m sure 99% of the time they can’t see or hear him, but it’s interesting to note.

DavelinaJolie

You can put the cautious displays down to two tricky opponents away from home
I think it is also about trying to bring some organisation into a team that Watford walked through. What I saw yesterday was a marked improvement from what I saw in the Watford game, it wasn't pretty, but at the moment pretty is a long way off. Realistically speaking, those results are the best I think the team could have achieved given the absolute bloody state they were in a week ago.

I'm not sure what people expected him to achieve in one week?

KennyBurner

Chelsea game was disappointing for the fact we didn’t need Bruno starting unless it was deep in midfield. Cavani or Martial was fine. We needed composure and strength leading the line and Bruno just didn’t have that. Managers need to be brave enough to drop our big name players if they don’t fit the tactic. Chelsea are not as good as City or Liverpool and we didnt need to respect them. Their attack stinks.

wolvored

We had to keep one of them to manage the team as if had been sacked Fletcher would have.been in charge He got 2 results mainly to De Gea being back on form, Sancho played on the right and a lot of luck. You have to remember how we did over the last 4-5 weeks with him as assistant. Glad hes stepping down now.

Walrus

Oppressed White Male
I think Carrick has the makings of a good manager, although of course it’s too early to consider him for such a job at United anytime soon.

As a player he was known for his reading of the game, positioning and general intelligence - these are the sorts of qualities one feels would translate well to management.

For his two games he has done well in setting us up to be solid whilst also having a plan for how we can attack and score. There has clearly been some tactical direction, and the results have been decent, given the circumstances. What he says in the presser is of no concern to me - he knows he is only here a couple of games so there isn’t really much else he CAN say other than the usual sound bites.

Stacks

Perfect post.
He also said McTom is world class and plays like him

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
I mean they are all arguably first team players. Not sure how you can claim Pogba and in particular Greenwood arent starters when they start the vast majority of games when fit.

romufc

Chelsea game was disappointing for the fact we didn’t need Bruno starting unless it was deep in midfield. Cavani or Martial was fine. We needed composure and strength leading the line and Bruno just didn’t have that. Managers need to be brave enough to drop our big name players if they don’t fit the tactic. Chelsea are not as good as City or Liverpool and we didnt need to respect them. Their attack stinks.
I don't get this post at all.

1. Cavani is injured
2. Managers need to brave - dropped Bruno v Villareal and dropped Ronaldo V Chelsea.
3. Chelsea beat City to CL and are top of the PL.

I mean seriously, such a poor post.

romufc

I mean they are all arguably first team players. Not sure how you can claim Pogba and in particular Greenwood arent starters when they start the vast majority of games when fit.
They aren't in his FIFA team.

Escobar

Shameless Musketeer
Scholes, Kean , GN all taking turns to shit on Carrick when they defended previous guy through all the mess. They're either over-compensating or pissed that he staid. Carricks has shown me more in 2 games thanOle in 3 seasons. Not afraid of the players at all.
Well, he has nothing to lose anymore so.... I'm not convinced at all

Smores

Even if we don't sack him this season he should be out there looking for a coaching job. Make a career on your talents.

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
Even if we don't sack him this season he should be out there looking for a coaching job. Make a career on your talents.
Unfortunately most coaches who leave the United coaching staff to become managers don't do very well.

McClaren is probably the best coach to come out of the Ferguson staff. Giggs looked alright but his career might be in the toilet.

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
He should do whatever he wants to do, that makes him happy. He may not desire to have to prove himself to the Caf by going down to League 1 and working his way up... and that's ok.

If Ralf desires to keep him on, and he chooses to stay, also fine. End of the day, results are Ralf's responsibility.

Bebestation

Interesting to see Carricks mindset he used yesterday.

lex talionis

Carrick set us up to park the bus against Chelsea and we escaped with a point against the clearly superior side, although Chelsea needed a dodgy pk to secure the draw. Job done.

SAFMUTD

No he didn't?
How did you get that?
He didn't say it out loud, but I got it reading between lines when he was asked if he knew anything about the new manager and he said he didn't and he was preparing for games and got positive results in the last two.

This at a moment when everyone knew Rangnick was coming with even Bailly saying they were informed in the dressing room.

Can't prove it, all I'm saying is I got that impression.

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
I think Carrick has the makings of a good manager, although of course it’s too early to consider him for such a job at United anytime soon.

As a player he was known for his reading of the game, positioning and general intelligence - these are the sorts of qualities one feels would translate well to management.

For his two games he has done well in setting us up to be solid whilst also having a plan for how we can attack and score. There has clearly been some tactical direction, and the results have been decent, given the circumstances. What he says in the presser is of no concern to me - he knows he is only here a couple of games so there isn’t really much else he CAN say other than the usual sound bites.
Not this again. Our bar for prospective manager are ditch low. Anyone saying a good soundbite is deeemed manager worthy.

3 years of shits and 2 ok ish game and he already looks like a good manager?

Eyepopper

Lowering the tone since 2006
I sense from his aftermatch interview that he had some hope on staying as manager. Glad we won't take that route.
Being honest, I didnt get that impression.

But I'm gonna take a day, and after that I'm sure I'll be able to make some shit up that I can be critical of too.

KennyBurner

I don't get this post at all.

1. Cavani is injured
2. Managers need to brave - dropped Bruno v Villareal and dropped Ronaldo V Chelsea.
3. Chelsea beat City to CL and are top of the PL.

I mean seriously, such a poor post.
I don’t care that Chelsea beat City in a competition. Shit happens. City are clearly better as the table would tell you last year.
There is no reason why a manger should play Bruno as the leading attacker. Had no idea Cavani was injured by the way.

In my opinion we have a better team than Chelsea. The difference is down to Mangers.

Status
Not open for further replies.