Michael Olise

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
Class player but we can’t afford to spend big on another player that gets injured all season. We need another Bruno like player in the sense of never getting injured. That should be one of the things we check up when listing targets. The injury record

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Class player but we can’t afford to spend big on another player that gets injured all season. We need another Bruno like player in the sense of never getting injured. That should be one of the things we check up when listing targets. The injury record
It’s called doing a medical. Anything that concerns us about a player’s health and physical condition will be analysed in a detailed medical. If we see no concerns, we won’t abort a deal because a player has been injured in the past.

DJ_21

It’s called doing a medical. Anything that concerns us about a player’s health and physical condition will be analysed in a detailed medical. If we see no concerns, we won’t abort a deal because a player has been injured in the past.
Clearly didn’t work then when signing Mount. He’s had 34/36 days injured for Chelsea, he’s had 59 days out with Derby.

didz

He's French, has an 'M' in his name, and is left footed. Even if you don't look at his injury record you know he's gonna have problems here.

SambaBoy

Not many transfers are cancelled because of the medical, it's more a formality. Unless there's something very serious that wasn't known prior into entering discussions i.e. heart problems.

A medical team also wouldn't really declare that a player has passed or failed a medical - they'll obviously do a full review and present their findings to the club - akin to a risk assessment.

The club should be looking at a players past injury record and deciding whether the player is worth the investment if he's had a history of injury problems. They wouldn't bid for Olise with the mindset of 'let's see what the medical comes back with'.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Clearly didn’t work then when signing Mount. He’s had 34/36 days injured for Chelsea, he’s had 59 days out with Derby.
Not many transfers are cancelled because of the medical, it's more a formality. Unless there's something very serious that wasn't known prior into entering discussions i.e. heart problems.

A medical team also wouldn't really declare that a player has passed or failed a medical - they'll obviously do a full review and present their findings to the club - akin to a risk assessment.

The club should be looking at a players past injury record and deciding whether the player is worth the investment if he's had a history of injury problems. They wouldn't bid for Olise with the mindset of 'let's see what the medical comes back with'.
I think we should leave it to the medical professionals. Not many transfers are cancelled because of a medical because not many would reveal reason to cancel a transfer.

We may as well go and see one of Hoddle’s spiritual guides to determine whether or not to sign a player if we are not going yo trust the science. The fact that Mount has injured his calf likely has nothing to do with the fact that he has previously been injured, and more to do with the fact that he’s an elite athlete who runs the risk of muscular injury. If there was an increased propensity for him to be injured, it would have been revealed in his full medical examination and then we can make a decision accordingly.

And no, they wouldn’t bid for Olise with the mindset of ‘let’s see what the medical comes back with’. They would bid for him with the mindset of ‘let’s see how he can improve our team’, as they would with any player. If there is a medical reason to not sign that player, they literally have the opportunity for their doctors to do a full examination before the deal is done. It’s considered a ‘formality’ because that’s what it is. Until it isn’t. And in the cases where it isn’t, we will make a decision. If Olise’s medical showed anything that would increase the likelihood of injury in the future, that would be of far more importance than injury in the past. Footballers get injured. Invariably, they recover. There is no guarantee that they will not be injured again.

izec

Doubt it

Would love it though. Sell Sancho and buy Olise. Think also about how to keep him fit

aeh1991

He's too injury prone, as is Pedro Neto. I'd rather get Nico Williams..

big_jeffstar

How many permanently injured players do we need really? Is it like the homegrown quota?

JoeyJoJoJrShabadoo

I think it's great we are disability inclusive. Paying giant wages for people not to play games. Show me another club with this kind of forward thinking

Pscholes18

I was told he had one major injury and CP rushed him back therefore his issues this season.

Ali Dia

Souness's Super Sub/George Weahs Talented Cousin
Is he the one to finally break the left footed right winger jinx at United? His fitness is a worry. That aside he wouldn’t be a bad addition at all. He can go inside or outside and has a bit of variation in his finishing (but needs to work on it) able to spot a pass and looks physically good. He’s ready to step up to a bigger club but is he really any better than Sancho/Greenwood/in form Antony (if such a thing exists) Amad if he’d had a good loan this season who knows. Probably gone now...

The prices quoted for Olise are good value for a talented young player who has already played a lot in the league and excelled in a mid table team. We’d be getting rid of guys with serious off the field issues and quietly replacing their playing qualities sensibly while also steering the club back away from controversies to a sports first mindset. Saying all of that I can’t wait until people are calling him the new AWB.

Last edited:

daba

Just looks one paced to me. Without having any other particulary strong quality to make up for it.
Yeah for me he does seem to lack intensity a bit and also pace, but he has really nice decision making, composure and quality on the ball.

I do rate him but I also believe Amad has the ability and potential to be just as good if not better.

SER19

Feel the same as many here. He's clearly a lovely footballer, but along with his injury record, I think we've seen enough of these talented players who ultimately arent explosive enough, or aggressive enough to change games the way we need. I'd be optimisitc if we signed him but probably not the sort of player I'd be after

Jericholyte2

Surely if we're to be playing as the 'dominant in possession' teams, we need to be looking away from fast wide players, as they're the type of player that counter-attacking teams use. We need players who can thread the eye-of-the-needle passes, who can make the smart runs between lines, who make defenders make mistakes in tight spaces.

The Irish Connection

I had a feeling they’d get something against Liverpool today with Olise and Eze starting.
Olise was good but maybe still a bit rusty.
For 50m he would be a good signing.

Wheato

I think he is the sort of player you sign when you are comfortably on top. Like City buying Doku or Nunes. They add quality and variation to the squad. You fit them into a successful system.

We buy players like Olise, throw them into rough seas and roar at them to swim. "GO ON, SWIM LIKE YOU DID ON YOUTUBE AGAINST LIVERPOOL."

I think we need to establish our own identity, before we start buying designer watches.

SirBillNic

Supports
Spurs
Surely if we're to be playing as the 'dominant in possession' teams, we need to be looking away from fast wide players, as they're the type of player that counter-attacking teams use. We need players who can thread the eye-of-the-needle passes, who can make the smart runs between lines, who make defenders make mistakes in tight spaces.
That is pretty much what Olise is though. I think he would be excellent in a more possession-oriented team.

dubplate warrior

It depends how you would like to see United play. If you want to see us play on the counter and hit on the break then don't but him. If you want United to dominate the ball and to change our focus to pinning teams back into their own halves he's exactly the kind of player we should buy.

Literally reminds me so much of Mahrez, you just know City will buy him.

Last edited:

Bwuk

My concern is he’s a bit one paced. He obviously a great player but not sure he’s a who I’d want to replace Rashford in the front 3

KjaAnd

Good player but is he capable of beating his man regularly? From what I've seen of him he doesn't seem to have the acceleration or pace that we need. We've got enough wingers who are good technically but lacking physically.

DJ_21

If we want him then he chooses us. I heard he grew up a United fan. Good talent and the sort of player we should be targeting this summer. He won’t mind no Europe either since he’d be moving from palace.

Valencia Shin Crosses

It depends how you would like to see United play. If you want to see us play on the counter and hit on the break then don't but him. If you want United to dominate the ball and to change our focus to pinning teams back into their own halves he's exactly the kind of player we should buy.

Literally reminds me so much of Mahrez, you just know City will buy him.
Nah Mahrez was a far better player and also could play in a countering side as well. Olise reminds me of a left-footed, RW version of Grealish.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Just looks one paced to me. Without having any other particulary strong quality to make up for it.
Agreed. He doesn’t appear to suit us. Among our wingers only Garnacho looks like he could be part of a good United team in the long run. Maybe Amad too but he had a long long way to go. And both lack a bit of pace and physicality. We need someone with those two things from the next winger signing for sure. A half AM / winger hybrid is the last thing we need

Valencia Shin Crosses

Agreed. He doesn’t appear to suit us. Among our wingers only Garnacho looks like he could be part of a good United team in the long run. Maybe Amad too but he had a long long way to go. And both lack a bit of pace and physicality. We need someone with those two things from the next winger signing for sure. A half AM / winger hybrid is the last thing we need
feck it let's buy Frimpong and put him in that spot as a true touchline winger. It's basically what he plays for Leverkusen now.

croadyman

Feel the same as many here. He's clearly a lovely footballer, but along with his injury record, I think we've seen enough of these talented players who ultimately arent explosive enough, or aggressive enough to change games the way we need. I'd be optimisitc if we signed him but probably not the sort of player I'd be after
So who is that explosive winger we need?

Reyoji-Utd

For the wing (if we decide we have to sign one) then it should be someone that are explosive, pacy, skillfull enough to beat people either with pace and skills. We lacks it that our game has been too one dimensional and has no real disruptors to break opponents shape and drag people over the place to find holes for teammates.

Olise simply is not that and we have too many already that dont seems to have the intensity, pace, athleticism to win duels and be that nuisance to others. Remember when we have Ronaldo, Rooney, Nani that create chaos and utilise the width to make the pitch wider and create space for others.

ROFLUTION

He looks silky smooth on the ball to me. I'd take the chance and try and sign him. He's still only 22, so it's the right age.

We'd have to do a medical anyways, so if he's long term crooked, a decent medical team would probably find out by then.

SER19

So who is that explosive winger we need?
I've no idea. Last year I would have said Kvartskhelia, though he's struggled this season. I can only hope the new off field people do well. One big argument in Olises favour is he is technically very good, and we lack that in our team compared to the other top teams. The standard in the Madrid v City game is the standard thats set and almost everything just happens that little bit quicker and more efficiently than it does with much of our players

Edit: Id add that a brilliant attacking full back can mitigate things too, so Olise with a perfect wing partner may well be good

dubplate warrior

I hear you and agree, but the way we play is so shit I'd rather we develop a system which suits players like him more.

izec

He was a bit rusty yesterday, but he is a very good player.

I dont agree that he doesn't suit us. I mean Ten Hag is not the future, so we should not be looking at players for this side currently. The way we want to go, i think he could be part of our future under a new manager and Ineos. We should be moving away from counterattacking football for most games.

Telsim

No, thanks. We are the absolute worst club to be at if you are injury prone. Which he is. 13 games last season, 10 and counting this season. You can bet it's going to be worse here.

RuudTom83

Under EtH he would be asked to do about two hundred sprints per game and his body wouldn't last too long under those instructions.

Like a few have said already United have Garnacho, Antony and Amad for the RW. So if like me you see Untied making about 3 signings in the summer, Olise would not the top priority.

Sure if the squad is going to have an absolute huge overhaul with multiple changes throughout, then I can see him fitting into a new plan. But being realistic that won't happen and adding Olise to the team would just result in him being slated for having no pace similar to Antony.

didz

In terms of player profile he'd probably be great for us with a good overlapping fullback behind him. Obviously we don't have that. The bigger concern is that he gets a lot of injuries. He's made something like 9 starts this season, and we're coming out of probably our worst campaign ever for availability troubles.

If I was working for United's medical and saw him coming in, I'd be thinking "oh great, another one."

Donut

He reminds me a bit of Sancho... Very silky on the ball and has a good pass and footballing brain, but not particularly fast.