Mikel Arteta | Lego Pep watch

André Dominguez

Supports
Benfica, Académica
Amazing how his name is not appointed to be off the door after the poor football shown on pitch, even with Arsenal doing a very decent effort in the transfer market.

rotherham_red

I love how we're being lectured on how to be sporting by the fanbase that used to chant about our manager being a paedophile.
As opposed to the "Gooner boys" who were saying they were "on a bender, Cristiano's a sex offender"?

TheReligion

Abusive
I don't know why you have to lie about something that is on video :confused:
Once DeGea is down, not one player apart from Fred is looking in his direction. El Neny, ESR and all United players are looking up in the sky to see where the ball will land.
When Fred start raising his hand and shouting the ball is travelling from El Neny's head to Smith-Rowe.2s later the ball is already in the net.
Was it a weird goal ? Yes. Did Atkinson feck up ? Absolutely, he clearly has De Gea in his field of view when your defense clear the ball. But please stop making stuff up as if we controlled the ball, dribbled, crossed it and then scored. Everything happened in 3s.
You were unsportsmanlike. End of story. The way you celebrated was even worse given how it happened.

Very embarrassing really.

awop

Odds winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
Supports
Arsenal
I think the Arsenal players still sees that de Gea was on the floor rolling round like he’d been shot as the ball went past him, he clearly would have saved that wet shot if he was stood on 2 feet.

that’s how I read what you responded to anyway, you seen the goalkeeper was lying there injured as the ball went in. Still celebrated like you’d win a cup
How ? Look at the replay they're all turned around, only Fred and the ref sees him on the ground. There might be an ounce of a doubt about Martinelli who could maybe see it in the corner of his eye.
You were unsportsmanlike. End of story. The way you celebrated was even worse given how it happened.

Very embarrassing really.
I can agree with the celebration part but that's not the point i was responding to. You won the game, end of story. Don't "injure" your own players and you will win many more, i'm sure of it.

OverratedOpinion

I don't know why you have to lie about something that is on video :confused:
Once DeGea is down, not one player apart from Fred is looking in his direction. El Neny, ESR and all United players are looking up in the sky to see where the ball will land.
When Fred start raising his hand and shouting the ball is travelling from El Neny's head to Smith-Rowe.2s later the ball is already in the net.
Was it a weird goal ? Yes. Did Atkinson feck up ? Absolutely, he clearly has De Gea in his field of view when your defense clear the ball. But please stop making stuff up as if we controlled the ball, dribbled, crossed it and then scored. Everything happened in 3s.
Smith Rowe was fully aware.

Watch this video between 40 seconds and 44 seconds. (He can see De Gea the entire time but specifically looks right at him at 42 seconds).

He clearly looked and noticed and that is the only reason he took the volley that never would have threatened a goal if the keeper was on his feet. Smith Rowe clearly took intentional advantage of the situation. They then celebrated as if they won the world cup and went on to lose. It is not the end of the world but it is pretty embarrassing. Hold it.

Edit: Also Atkinson did not feck up.

awop

Supports
Arsenal
Smith Rowe was fully aware.

Watch this video between 40 seconds and 44 seconds. (He can see De Gea the entire time but specifically looks right at him at 42 seconds).

He clearly looked and noticed and that is the only reason he took the volley that never would have threatened a goal if the keeper was on his feet. Smith Rowe clearly took intentional advantage of the situation. They then celebrated as if they won the world cup and went on to lose. It is not the end of the world but it is pretty embarrassing. Hold it.

Edit: Also Atkinson did not feck up.
Can't see that video, it's geo-blocked for me but i imagine you're talking about the glance he gives right after El Neny's header and i think he does it to see if any defender is close after looking up for a few seconds. If a United defender was closer he would not try that volley.
No arguments about the celebration here. Atkinson fecked up in the sense that he did not manage to apply his own decision in a timely manner. The end result is the correct one anyway according to the written rules.

OverratedOpinion

Can't see that video, it's geo-blocked for me but i imagine you're talking about the glance he gives right after El Neny's header and i think he does it to see if any defender is close after looking up for a few seconds. If a United defender was closer he would not try that volley.
No arguments about the celebration here. Atkinson fecked up in the sense that he did not manage to apply his own decision in a timely manner. The end result is the correct one anyway according to the written rules.
Regardless of what he was looking for, he saw De Gea was down, it would be impossible not to and it is the only reason he felt it would be a good idea to hit a weak volley that never beats a goalkeeper just making sure he kept it in target. He clearly saw De Gea was down and took advantage, it is poor sportsmanship.

I don't see why you typed a massive paragraph arguing that he was not aware and calling me a liar when you are clearly very aware that he did know De Gea was on the floor.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
He has all the tactics and coaching of Pep but none of his major trophies. Personality matters when you are leading mega millionaire footballers.
This has to be the biggest myth. They mostly play bland functional football that has little joy about it.

awop

Supports
Arsenal
Regardless of what he was looking for, he saw De Gea was down, it would be impossible not to and it is the only reason he felt it would be a good idea to hit a weak volley that never beats a goalkeeper just making sure he kept it in target. He clearly saw De Gea was down and took advantage, it is poor sportsmanship.

I don't see why you typed a massive paragraph arguing that he was not aware and calling me a liar when you are clearly very aware that he did know De Gea was on the floor.
Your repeted use of the word "clearly" needs revision. You cannot "clearly" say that he saw DeGea down and that his view was not obstructed by any of Partey, Rashford, Maguire, Gabriel or Lindelof, the 5 players directly between him and the goal. I'm not "very clearly aware that he did know" either and nobody is but him. Repeatedly saying something does not make it true.

Last edited:

OverratedOpinion

Your repeted use of the world "clearly" needs revision. You cannot "clearly" say that he saw DeGea down and that his view was not obstructed by any of Partey, Rashford, Maguire, Gabriel or Lindelof, the 5 players directly between him and the goal. I'm not "very clearly aware that he did know" either and nobody is but him. Repeatedly saying something does not make it true.
They are in a wide-open football field and he took a shot that never goes in if a keeper is there but made sure it was slow and got on target :lol:

He stared directly at him and then took the perfect strike for that situation. What do you honestly think happened?

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
They are in a wide-open football field and he took a shot that never goes in if a keeper is there but made sure it was slow and got on target :lol:

He stared directly at him and then took the perfect strike for that situation. What do you honestly think happened?
Amazing :lol:

Cascarino

Magnum Poopus
Supports
Swansea
I posted this in the other thread but the idea that all keepers are going to curl into a ball on the line if they get hurt isn't true. It was a strange thing to do considering he was able to play on quite quickly afterwards.

Looking at that clip I don't think it's implausible that ESR was unaware of De Gea's situation, his eyes never really leave the ball.

awop

Supports
Arsenal

Yes, no football player ever took a swipe or a shot "that never goes in" at the top of the box. I told you what i think happened: ball is in the air, he looks up, El neny gets it, he glance in the direction of the goal and sees 5 players in front of him coming towards him. Does he also see DDG ? Maybe, maybe not. I think the glance he throw is to gauge how far the defense is and that he already made his mind about taking a shot. Could be a goal, could be a ball in row Z. I don't think he intended to control it, saw DDG and in 0.3s changed his mind and said let's have a go, their GK is down. You have the right to believe it, i don't.

GoonerBear

Supports
Arsenal

A wide open football field that his view is at ground level with several players in the penalty area, with a game going on around him. & a ball dropping in the air in a matter of seconds?

Certainly not as clear as has been made outon here. And yeah, I found the celebrations cringe.

Ace of Spades

My opinion on Arteta has not changed, very mediocre manager that has somehow deluded the Arsenal fans into lowering their expectations by a ridiculous margin.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
A wide open football field that his view is at ground level with several players in the penalty area, with a game going on around him. & a ball dropping in the air in a matter of seconds?

Certainly not as clear as has been made outon here. And yeah, I found the celebrations cringe.
I never miss a chance to stick the boot into Arsenal but agree with you here. To hit a dropping ball on the volley like that he surely had to be 100% focused on the ball and it’s entirely plausible he had no idea De Gea was doing a dying swan act.

TheReligion

Abusive
I think we can all agree that when arsenal realised what had happened they should have not celebrated like giggling children and should have considered fair play like a man of integrity, Bielsa.

Artetas reaction in comparison to the great man is embarrassing.

stefan92

Supports
Hannover 96
I think we can all agree that when arsenal realised what had happened they should have not celebrated like giggling children and should have considered fair play like a man of integrity, Bielsa.

Artetas reaction in comparison to the great man is embarrassing.
Yes, no matter how much Smith Rowe intented to exploit the situation, that's what makes the difference.

OverratedOpinion

Yes, no football player ever took a swipe or a shot "that never goes in" at the top of the box. I told you what i think happened: ball is in the air, he looks up, El neny gets it, he glance in the direction of the goal and sees 5 players in front of him coming towards him. Does he also see DDG ? Maybe, maybe not. I think the glance he throw is to gauge how far the defense is and that he already made his mind about taking a shot. Could be a goal, could be a ball in row Z. I don't think he intended to control it, saw DDG and in 0.3s changed his mind and said let's have a go, their GK is down. You have the right to believe it, i don't.
He looked directly at the goal, he could have hit the ball so much harder and 100% of the time players will if they are just sticking their foot behind the ball in hope. If you choose to believe that he couldn't see what was happening there then I honestly believe that is a choice you are making based on bias. If you want to then carry on.

The fact that anyone is imagining that Smith Rowe was not fully aware of what he was doing is absolutely astounding. I don't think it makes the lad a terrible sportsman as he had a split second to decide what to do but it was embarrassing all around from Arsenal yesterday.

OverratedOpinion

Have you ever played 11 aside on a full sized football pitch?

He would have seen very clearly that De Gea was down when he stared directly at the goal. I am saying this with so much certainty because it is literally undeniable if you watch the clip I showed earlier and then added the way he hit that shot.

OverratedOpinion

Looking at that clip I don't think it's implausible that ESR was unaware of De Gea's situation, his eyes never really leave the ball.
Go to my post 2 above yours, play the video and pause it at 42 seconds, staring directly towards the goal. He would literally have to be blind.

Mr. Ant

He's even more defensive than his true mentor Moyes.

When they go ahead they just try to soak up the pressure even though their defense is really not that good. He's basically a Mourinho with better hair.

Once players get frustrated enough with his tactics he will be gone.

Amarsdd

This has to be the biggest myth. They mostly play bland functional football that has little joy about it.
Pretty much. And its weird people keep trying to find that tactical genius in Arteta's plans even when there is none. I was watching Tifo football's tactical review of yesterday's game, and the host was trying so hard to point out Arteta's tactical nous and how his team was so well setup.

flameinthesun

He would have seen very clearly that De Gea was down when he stared directly at the goal. I am saying this with so much certainty because it is literally undeniable if you watch the clip I showed earlier and then added the way he hit that shot.
Its entirely plausible smith rowe was following the ball as it was cleared, then as it was laid up focused on connecting the volley. I've actually scored a volley like that in a 11 a side funny enough, off the cross bar and into the goal. I'd personally say its more likely that he did not notice de gea or at least probably didnt register him down. 3 seconds....of which part of that is following the clearance, following the flick on and trying to hit the volley.

Theres plenty of other things you can criticise arsenal for but esm volley is a silly one. Also saying things like "if you've played 11 a side football" is a bit silly as well when im pretty sure most people on here have 8n their lifetime.

GoonerBear

Supports
Arsenal

Of course I have, and that's why I'm saying it's not easy, because it's a lot more difficult to see at pitch level than from camera level. There's players in the way, someone lying on the ground in a black shirt will be behind a sea of legs & much brighter socks, while he's trying to watch the play, avoid players, avoid the ref & line up for a shot.

Tell me something, the ref is basically next to Smith-Rowe in the build up to the volley. How does the ref not see De Gea on the floor & get his whistle to his mouth before the shot hits the back of the net?!

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
Pretty much. And its weird people keep trying to find that tactical genius in Arteta's plans even when there is none. I was watching Tifo football's tactical review of yesterday's game, and the host was trying so hard to point out Arteta's tactical nous and how his team was so well setup.
It's strange. It would be semi understandable if it was Henry, Vieira or even Ljungberg doing this but Arteta was an okay player in the peak Wenger banter era.

Luke1995

Why does Arteta gets so much more time than Ole ? Just wondering if Arsenal has a different philosophy than our board

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Oh yes. Tifo have been building Arteta up as a supreme tactician from the start. Have noticed and found it odd too

redrobed

Why does Arteta gets so much more time than Ole ? Just wondering if Arsenal has a different philosophy than our board
Arteta hasn’t inherited a squad that’s had over a billion pounds spent on it in fairness

Dominos

True... but Emery didn't get the same time.
I think Arsenal were hoping for the fairytale story that once they got rid of Wenger then the new manager would return them to their glory days. When the next manager didn't achieve that, it was almost a bit of a surprise to them that they'd not progressed in the slightest. At this point I think they've accepted they're a miles off the top clubs and it will take a while to get back there which is why Arteta's been given so much time. If Arteta had been the one taking over from Wenger then he'd be gone by now, and likewise Emery may have been given more time if he was following Arteta.

Still I've not really seen anything from Arteta to suggest he's doing a good job. Him getting appointed in the first place always seemed a bit odd in that his only credential was being one of many of Pep's staff... Seems like you should need a bit more than that to get a job as big as the Arsenal one.

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
He really is an extremely mediocre manager. Their chances created from open play is horrendous.

Btw I don't watch Arsenal much this season but how shit was Partey yesterday? Atletico sold them a dud.

Kaos

They're both woefully mediocre coaches that have no business managing/managed their respective clubs, but I feel Arteta's roles as Pep's assistant coupled to Arsenal's FA Cup triumph in his first season grossly inflated his stock. He's a nothing manager tbh.

Ace of Spades

He really is an extremely mediocre manager. Their chances created from open play is horrendous.

Btw I don't watch Arsenal much this season but how shit was Partey yesterday? Atletico sold them a dud.
Well he did go from playing under Simeone to Arteta, so hardly a shock.

Luke1995

I think Arsenal were hoping for the fairytale story that once they got rid of Wenger then the new manager would return them to their glory days. When the next manager didn't achieve that, it was almost a bit of a surprise to them that they'd not progressed in the slightest. At this point I think they've accepted they're a miles off the top clubs and it will take a while to get back there which is why Arteta's been given so much time. If Arteta had been the one taking over from Wenger then he'd be gone by now, and likewise Emery may have been given more time if he was following Arteta.

Still I've not really seen anything from Arteta to suggest he's doing a good job. Him getting appointed in the first place always seemed a bit odd in that his only credential was being one of many of Pep's staff... Seems like you should need a bit more than that to get a job as big as the Arsenal one.
Possibly. But also, Emery had a somewhat proven track record. Although that was in some spanish clubs. He always did very well there. Arteta is somewhat of a rookie still.