Mikel Arteta | Lego Pep watch

He has all the tactics and coaching of Pep but none of his major trophies. Personality matters when you are leading mega millionaire footballers.
This has to be the biggest myth. They mostly play bland functional football that has little joy about it.

Regardless of what he was looking for, he saw De Gea was down, it would be impossible not to and it is the only reason he felt it would be a good idea to hit a weak volley that never beats a goalkeeper just making sure he kept it in target. He clearly saw De Gea was down and took advantage, it is poor sportsmanship.

I don't see why you typed a massive paragraph arguing that he was not aware and calling me a liar when you are clearly very aware that he did know De Gea was on the floor.
Your repeted use of the word "clearly" needs revision. You cannot "clearly" say that he saw DeGea down and that his view was not obstructed by any of Partey, Rashford, Maguire, Gabriel or Lindelof, the 5 players directly between him and the goal. I'm not "very clearly aware that he did know" either and nobody is but him. Repeatedly saying something does not make it true.

Last edited:
Your repeted use of the world "clearly" needs revision. You cannot "clearly" say that he saw DeGea down and that his view was not obstructed by any of Partey, Rashford, Maguire, Gabriel or Lindelof, the 5 players directly between him and the goal. I'm not "very clearly aware that he did know" either and nobody is but him. Repeatedly saying something does not make it true.

They are in a wide-open football field and he took a shot that never goes in if a keeper is there but made sure it was slow and got on target :lol:

He stared directly at him and then took the perfect strike for that situation. What do you honestly think happened?

They are in a wide-open football field and he took a shot that never goes in if a keeper is there but made sure it was slow and got on target :lol:

He stared directly at him and then took the perfect strike for that situation. What do you honestly think happened?
Amazing :lol:

I posted this in the other thread but the idea that all keepers are going to curl into a ball on the line if they get hurt isn't true. It was a strange thing to do considering he was able to play on quite quickly afterwards.

Looking at that clip I don't think it's implausible that ESR was unaware of De Gea's situation, his eyes never really leave the ball.

Yes, no football player ever took a swipe or a shot "that never goes in" at the top of the box. I told you what i think happened: ball is in the air, he looks up, El neny gets it, he glance in the direction of the goal and sees 5 players in front of him coming towards him. Does he also see DDG ? Maybe, maybe not. I think the glance he throw is to gauge how far the defense is and that he already made his mind about taking a shot. Could be a goal, could be a ball in row Z. I don't think he intended to control it, saw DDG and in 0.3s changed his mind and said let's have a go, their GK is down. You have the right to believe it, i don't.

A wide open football field that his view is at ground level with several players in the penalty area, with a game going on around him. & a ball dropping in the air in a matter of seconds?

Certainly not as clear as has been made outon here. And yeah, I found the celebrations cringe.

My opinion on Arteta has not changed, very mediocre manager that has somehow deluded the Arsenal fans into lowering their expectations by a ridiculous margin.

A wide open football field that his view is at ground level with several players in the penalty area, with a game going on around him. & a ball dropping in the air in a matter of seconds?

Certainly not as clear as has been made outon here. And yeah, I found the celebrations cringe.

I never miss a chance to stick the boot into Arsenal but agree with you here. To hit a dropping ball on the volley like that he surely had to be 100% focused on the ball and it’s entirely plausible he had no idea De Gea was doing a dying swan act.

I think we can all agree that when arsenal realised what had happened they should have not celebrated like giggling children and should have considered fair play like a man of integrity, Bielsa.

Artetas reaction in comparison to the great man is embarrassing.

I think we can all agree that when arsenal realised what had happened they should have not celebrated like giggling children and should have considered fair play like a man of integrity, Bielsa.

Artetas reaction in comparison to the great man is embarrassing.
Yes, no matter how much Smith Rowe intented to exploit the situation, that's what makes the difference.

Yes, no football player ever took a swipe or a shot "that never goes in" at the top of the box. I told you what i think happened: ball is in the air, he looks up, El neny gets it, he glance in the direction of the goal and sees 5 players in front of him coming towards him. Does he also see DDG ? Maybe, maybe not. I think the glance he throw is to gauge how far the defense is and that he already made his mind about taking a shot. Could be a goal, could be a ball in row Z. I don't think he intended to control it, saw DDG and in 0.3s changed his mind and said let's have a go, their GK is down. You have the right to believe it, i don't.

He looked directly at the goal, he could have hit the ball so much harder and 100% of the time players will if they are just sticking their foot behind the ball in hope. If you choose to believe that he couldn't see what was happening there then I honestly believe that is a choice you are making based on bias. If you want to then carry on.

The fact that anyone is imagining that Smith Rowe was not fully aware of what he was doing is absolutely astounding. I don't think it makes the lad a terrible sportsman as he had a split second to decide what to do but it was embarrassing all around from Arsenal yesterday.

Have you ever played 11 aside on a full sized football pitch?

He would have seen very clearly that De Gea was down when he stared directly at the goal. I am saying this with so much certainty because it is literally undeniable if you watch the clip I showed earlier and then added the way he hit that shot.

Looking at that clip I don't think it's implausible that ESR was unaware of De Gea's situation, his eyes never really leave the ball.

Go to my post 2 above yours, play the video and pause it at 42 seconds, staring directly towards the goal. He would literally have to be blind.

He's even more defensive than his true mentor Moyes.

When they go ahead they just try to soak up the pressure even though their defense is really not that good. He's basically a Mourinho with better hair.

Once players get frustrated enough with his tactics he will be gone.

This has to be the biggest myth. They mostly play bland functional football that has little joy about it.
Pretty much. And its weird people keep trying to find that tactical genius in Arteta's plans even when there is none. I was watching Tifo football's tactical review of yesterday's game, and the host was trying so hard to point out Arteta's tactical nous and how his team was so well setup.

Go to my post 2 above yours, play the video and pause it at 42 seconds, staring directly towards the goal. He would literally have to be blind.

mJT556e.jpg

Maybe? I don't know. Doesn't really matter I guess.

He would have seen very clearly that De Gea was down when he stared directly at the goal. I am saying this with so much certainty because it is literally undeniable if you watch the clip I showed earlier and then added the way he hit that shot.

Its entirely plausible smith rowe was following the ball as it was cleared, then as it was laid up focused on connecting the volley. I've actually scored a volley like that in a 11 a side funny enough, off the cross bar and into the goal. I'd personally say its more likely that he did not notice de gea or at least probably didnt register him down. 3 seconds....of which part of that is following the clearance, following the flick on and trying to hit the volley.

Theres plenty of other things you can criticise arsenal for but esm volley is a silly one. Also saying things like "if you've played 11 a side football" is a bit silly as well when im pretty sure most people on here have 8n their lifetime.

Of course I have, and that's why I'm saying it's not easy, because it's a lot more difficult to see at pitch level than from camera level. There's players in the way, someone lying on the ground in a black shirt will be behind a sea of legs & much brighter socks, while he's trying to watch the play, avoid players, avoid the ref & line up for a shot.

Tell me something, the ref is basically next to Smith-Rowe in the build up to the volley. How does the ref not see De Gea on the floor & get his whistle to his mouth before the shot hits the back of the net?!

Pretty much. And its weird people keep trying to find that tactical genius in Arteta's plans even when there is none. I was watching Tifo football's tactical review of yesterday's game, and the host was trying so hard to point out Arteta's tactical nous and how his team was so well setup.
It's strange. It would be semi understandable if it was Henry, Vieira or even Ljungberg doing this but Arteta was an okay player in the peak Wenger banter era.

Why does Arteta gets so much more time than Ole ? Just wondering if Arsenal has a different philosophy than our board

Oh yes. Tifo have been building Arteta up as a supreme tactician from the start. Have noticed and found it odd too

Why does Arteta gets so much more time than Ole ? Just wondering if Arsenal has a different philosophy than our board
Arteta hasn’t inherited a squad that’s had over a billion pounds spent on it in fairness

True... but Emery didn't get the same time.
I think Arsenal were hoping for the fairytale story that once they got rid of Wenger then the new manager would return them to their glory days. When the next manager didn't achieve that, it was almost a bit of a surprise to them that they'd not progressed in the slightest. At this point I think they've accepted they're a miles off the top clubs and it will take a while to get back there which is why Arteta's been given so much time. If Arteta had been the one taking over from Wenger then he'd be gone by now, and likewise Emery may have been given more time if he was following Arteta.

Still I've not really seen anything from Arteta to suggest he's doing a good job. Him getting appointed in the first place always seemed a bit odd in that his only credential was being one of many of Pep's staff... Seems like you should need a bit more than that to get a job as big as the Arsenal one.

He really is an extremely mediocre manager. Their chances created from open play is horrendous.

Btw I don't watch Arsenal much this season but how shit was Partey yesterday? Atletico sold them a dud.

They're both woefully mediocre coaches that have no business managing/managed their respective clubs, but I feel Arteta's roles as Pep's assistant coupled to Arsenal's FA Cup triumph in his first season grossly inflated his stock. He's a nothing manager tbh.

He really is an extremely mediocre manager. Their chances created from open play is horrendous.

Btw I don't watch Arsenal much this season but how shit was Partey yesterday? Atletico sold them a dud.

Well he did go from playing under Simeone to Arteta, so hardly a shock.

I think Arsenal were hoping for the fairytale story that once they got rid of Wenger then the new manager would return them to their glory days. When the next manager didn't achieve that, it was almost a bit of a surprise to them that they'd not progressed in the slightest. At this point I think they've accepted they're a miles off the top clubs and it will take a while to get back there which is why Arteta's been given so much time. If Arteta had been the one taking over from Wenger then he'd be gone by now, and likewise Emery may have been given more time if he was following Arteta.

Still I've not really seen anything from Arteta to suggest he's doing a good job. Him getting appointed in the first place always seemed a bit odd in that his only credential was being one of many of Pep's staff... Seems like you should need a bit more than that to get a job as big as the Arsenal one.

Possibly. But also, Emery had a somewhat proven track record. Although that was in some spanish clubs. He always did very well there. Arteta is somewhat of a rookie still.

They're both woefully mediocre coaches that have no business managing/managed their respective clubs, but I feel Arteta's roles as Pep's assistant coupled to Arsenal's FA Cup triumph in his first season grossly inflated his stock. He's a nothing manager tbh.

I think they are hoping he is going to turn into a new Pep. They also have a young director of football in Edu.

The narrative seems to be that these young guys with new ideas and promoting youth will get them back to the top in due time.

I think they are hoping he is going to turn into a new Pep. They also have a young director of football in Edu.

The narrative seems to be that these young guys with new ideas and promoting youth will get them back to the top in due time.
I think this is the plan. Youngest Manager. Youngest Technical Director. Youngest playing squad. We spent £140 on six players over the Summer, five of which started at Old Trafford. (Plus, Lokonga should have played instead of El Neny - but that’s a whole different grievance I have.) All our signings were 23 or younger.

I can see the logic. Grealish was £100m, we simply can’t compete with that head on. And though we splashed the most cash, every single one of those players would fetch more than we paid for them if we decided to sell in January. (EDIT - Possibly not Odegaard, actually.) So it certainly beats signings like Willian.

The big risk is a repeat of our last project youth with Wenger. Players leave one by one for more money/trophies elsewhere and it never comes together. I think we’ll get a little more time to make it work from the likes of Saka and Smith-Rowe as they have already been at the club for a decade. Our previous generation of academy players were often cherry-picked from other clubs at 16/17. We were their finishing school that polished them and got them ready for top-level senior football - but our latest crop our genuine Arsenal fans. That might buy us a season or two more of loyalty to make things work.

Xavi is playing a bunch of kids at Barca as well. I’m interested to see how both teams fare in the next few years.

Last edited:
Reactions: harms
I think this is the plan. Youngest Manager. Youngest Technical Director. Youngest playing squad. We spent £140 on six players over the Summer, five of which started at Old Trafford. (Plus, Lokonga should have played instead of El Neny - but that’s a whole different grievance I have.) All our signings were 23 or younger.

I can see the logic. Grealish was £100m, we simply can’t compete with that head on. And though we splashed the most cash, every single one of those players would fetch more than we paid for them if we decided to sell in January. (EDIT - Possibly not Odegaard, actually.) So it certainly beats signings like Willian.

The big risk is a repeat of our last project youth with Wenger. Players leave one by one for more money/trophies elsewhere and it never comes together. I think we’ll get a little more time to make it work from the likes of Saka and Smith-Rowe as they have already been at the club for a decade. Our previous generation of academy players were often cherry-picked from other clubs at 16/17. We were their finishing school that polished them and got them ready for top-level senior football - but our latest crop our genuine Arsenal fans. That might buy us a season or two more of loyalty to make things work.

Xavi is playing a bunch of kids at Barca as well. I’m interested to see how both teams fare in the next few years.

Saka and Nketiah seem like they could be top talents in a few years's time. I look at them like I looked at Martial and Rashford five years ago.

Sounds like they were time wasting after a goal up. That never really happened under Wenger did it? Some decline.

They just play once a week yet same old problems resurface.

I’ve no idea how Arteta escapes any scrutiny. He spent £150m in the summer and he’s sitting behind two clubs who were so bad they had to sack their managers and West Ham.