Mikel Arteta | Lego Pep watch

Classical Mechanic

Expected given their energy levels, aren't use to high intensity. But the fact that Arteta has come in and Arsenal have probably produced their two standout performances of the season (from hearing the radio reports) bodes well.
I think the performances are being vastly over-hyped. Today they had only 7 shots in the game to Chelsea's 13. Chelsea has 58% possession. Arsenal were the home team. The xG for the game was 0.7 - 1.8 in Chelsea's favour. They controlled the game and possession until Chelsea took Emerson off and brought on Jorginho, this was after 30 minutes. It seems to be a very low bar for best performance of the season in my opinion. We they not second in the league after the first 7 games or something?

AshRK

His tactics in second half were their downfall. Chelsea were crap today and he chose to give them too much respect. Sat back and allowed chelsea to have the ball and chelsea could not do a thing but needed a error from.Leno.

It will take time for him to implement his style (if he has any).

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
His tactics in second half were their downfall. Chelsea were crap today and he chose to give them too much respect. Sat back and allowed chelsea to have the ball and chelsea could not do a thing but needed a error from.Leno.

It will take time for him to implement his style (if he has any).
The other way of looking at it is they put so much into the first half they didn't have the legs to continue you it into the 2nd half

If not for Leno Arsenal would have won

They were good in the first 30 in terms of possessing and winning the ball back, but really created nothing and scored from a set piece. Still, Arteta's effect is clear but his adjustments in the second half were lacking, ceded control far too easily after Lampard switched systems. Ozil looked quite decent. Torreira with one of his best game I've seen in an Arsenal shirt although he needs to stop with the constant diving. Can't account for the first freak goal they conceded but that second was a complete breakdown. Would be disappointing if we don't beat them, especially since they don't seem to have completely figured it out offensively yet. But I won't be surprised if Arsenal get insanely up for the game and pull something out, their players really do seem to hate us

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Not going to be a bounce which is what you want from any new manager e.g. Ancelotti.

You'd fancy Man. United to pick off Arsenal like they did off in FA cup on counter attack and they've also got Chelsea away next month.

6 points off the relegation zone. I think this will be Arsenal lowest league points total since the early 90s when they finished bottom half one season.

Topgun1

Lewandowski lover
Supports
Arsenal
Ancelotti: 2 wins from 2
Arteta: 0 wins from 2

I'm keeping score.

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
Not going to be a bounce which is what you want from any new manager e.g. Ancelotti.

You'd fancy Man. United to pick off Arsenal like they did off in FA cup on counter attack and they've also got Chelsea away next month.

6 points off the relegation zone. I think this will be Arsenal lowest league points total since the early 90s when they finished bottom half one season.
The Rioch years, notable only for buying Bergkamp

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
The Rioch years, notable only for buying Bergkamp
They still finished 5th that season.

Premier league 1994/95 they finished 12th with 51 points, 42 game season though.

Next games for them are:

Man. United home

Palace away

Sheffield United Home

Chelsea away

Burnley away

Lots of tricky games there.

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
They still finished 5th that season.

Premier league 1994/95 they finished 12th with 51 points, 42 game season though.

Next games for them are:

Man. United home

Palace away

Sheffield United Home

Chelsea away

Burnley away

Lots of tricky games there.
Yes, tricky indeed. All the managers will be up for the Arse. Burnley will kick the shit out of them too

::sonny::

Guardiola taught him how to play football many years ago, and now how to be a football manager

(Me) as a former central midfielder, I can only appreciate a football world vision midfielder centric

He knows the philosophy and he acts like Guardiola, liked him as player, he should become a great manager

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
The first half was a strong indication of what he's looking to build, was easily the best I've seen Arsenal play as a collective since they smashed us 3-0 under Conte.

I hope I'm wrong but I feel he's going to make Arsenal relevant again, hopefully he gets poached by City or Barca if he has them punching too much.

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
The first half was a strong indication of what he's looking to build, was easily the best I've seen Arsenal play as a collective since they smashed us 3-0 under Conte.

I hope I'm wrong but I feel he's going to make Arsenal relevant again, hopefully he gets poached by City or Barca if he has them punching too much.
Doesn't make sense. He has no prior experience as a head coach, how is he able to place such an imprint on the team so soon?

Rooney in Paris

Gerrard shirt..Anfield? You'll Never Live it Down
Scout
There was nothing particularly new to the Arsenal performance, they've had many games where they've seemed decent for a bit before fading. Consistency is their problem, same as today.

I'm not sure I understand the good press he's getting. I kinda feel like everyone knows it's a bad appointment, that the obvious thing would be to report it that way, but are just going the opposite way to go against the grain. But so far he's showed nothing, and in fairness you wouldn't really expect him to. However you usually get the new manager bounce and they're not even getting that.

KennyBurner

Twice they’ve changed managers and still no new manager bounce :lol::lol:. I think as united fans we should be very grateful.

Also Chelsea dominated the game after Jorginho came on 34th minute. it was a good tactical change as 343 wasn’t working. Looking at the stats they deserve the win. Arteta was too slow in making changes when Chelsea had momentum.

They don’t look that much different to me other than the players working harder which makes sense considering they want to impress the new manager. If I was arteta I would immediately buy a strong midfielder and 2 center backs or he won’t last the season.

NewGlory

United make me feel dirty. And not in a sexy way.
Also Chelsea dominated the game after Jorginho came on 34th minute. it was a good tactical change as 343 wasn’t working. Looking at the stats they deserve the win. Arteta was too slow in making changes when Chelsea had momentum.
Great point. Lampard's game management is very good, in general.

I think Lampard and Ole are going to do well, but Arteta is up for a lot of pain and disappointment. Have said it before but - I don't think he's ready and Arsenal hasn't got what he needs support-wise, either. That's a bad combination that sounds like a recipe for a disaster.

Not all former-players-turn-head-coaches are equal...

Jacckk1985

Thinks we should ban Niall
I can already see that he has made a change within the team. Unforced personal errors cost him the game and point/points yesterday. He might as well come out with enough to get Arsenal win the next ones. Although they need to strengthen the squad.

NewGlory

I can already see that he has made a change within the team. Unforced personal errors cost him the game and point/points yesterday. He might as well come out with enough to get Arsenal win the next ones. Although they need to strengthen the squad.
Easy, buddy. Next one is with us. He absolutely needs to lose that one :)

Harry190

Bobby ten Hag
The squad he has isn't suited for the type of football he's trying to play. At least, not yet.

Jacckk1985

Thinks we should ban Niall
Easy, buddy. Next one is with us. He absolutely needs to lose that one :)
Well yea, but I when I talking about stuff outside of our own teams agenda. He for sure is capable to make Arsenal to perform on the level that they need to beat their next opponent.

NewGlory

Well yea, but I when I talking about stuff outside of our own teams agenda. He for sure is capable to make Arsenal to perform on the level that they need to beat their next opponent.
We shall see. We shall see. That Arsenal team has some formerly great players and one truly world-class striker, but overall is as much of a mess as any team needing a major rebuild. Even his mentor, Pep would have extremely hard time turning that team around with the current players and without a major financial support from the club, let alone – inexperienced Arteta. And I don't think Arsenal is able to provide him what is needed.

Vidyoyo

The bad "V"
Thing is, Arsenal's team are absolutely awful. Take Boomerang out of it and they're genuinely mid-table. Arteta can't fix that immediately.

They also have a worse version of the problems we've had with Pogba in Mesut Ozil (ie an expensive player who doesn't always deliver the goods).

NewGlory

They also have a worse version of the problems we've had with Pogba in Mesut Ozil (ie an expensive player who doesn't always deliver the goods).
As much as I worry about Pogba, I would never compare him to Ozil. At this point, Ozil is probably the kind of problem we had with Sanchez i.e. total disaster.

AshRK

I see people have already started overrating another rival manager. It is too soon to judge Arteta. But Arsenal after the first 30 mins were the same old Arsenal and the second half they let a poor chelsea side have possession and dictate the play. How many clear cut chances did Arsenal create. They were just playing with much more intensity which is what you get with a new manager. They were unfortunate they did not win as they were the better side but then again Chelsea were really poor and Arteta for some weird reason chose to sat back. So it was his own doing.

trims

Supports
Arsenal
We dominated the first 35 mins and should've scored more than 1 goal. After that, there was an apparent drop in the energy levels and the players looked tired. This could be due to back to back Christmas fixtures and some players including Laca, Nelson, and Ozil not getting much game time this season. From that point forward we barely created anything and the team started to defend deeper as a result so I don't think it was a conscious decision by Arteta to do this. He spoke about it in his post-match interview and this was something he wasn't happy about.

Regardless, even though Chelsea had a lot of the ball the defending was compact. Chelsea never threatened and struggled to do anything with ball. Unfortunately, individual mistakes by Leno for the first and Mustafi for the second cost.

I think what people haven't noticed is that we're missing 3 of our center backs, our 2 left backs and our right back. We were forced to play an 18 year old winger as a LB, our 5th choice CB and a CM as a RB. With Holding, Sokaritis, Martinelli and Bellerin all back in training, hopefully that should give Arteta something to work with. Main concern is the lack of goals upfront with Laca and Pepe out of form. We're relying too much on Auba and an 18 year old Martinelli.

Reactions: Jippy

Grinner

Not fat gutted. Hirsuteness of shoulders TBD.
Staff
Supports
Arsenal
All true but we still desperately need a new, quality CB. Sokratis is not up to the job. Laca really is in poor form and we're being forced to play PEA on the wing. Get him down the middle and we should get back in the goals.

Amadaeus

Pochémon Fan Club Chairman
He is an intelligent manager and you can tell the style he wants to implement at Arsenal. He is not passive like Ole, instead he wants his team to dictate the flow of the game. Arteta said he learned from Wenger, Pep and Pochettino and his philosophy will be centered around these managers style of plays. I believe Arsenal fans are in good hand with him. I can’t forecast whether he will be successful, but his approach to football should win over their fans even in tough period.

Even though we made this game look easy for him, his team also played well against Chelsea and you can see positive real tactical change in such a short time. Not psychological changes you seem from new manager bounces.

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
Let's forget football for a moment and talk about how 37 year old person is impersonating not only tactics, but even the reactions, celebrations, and even fecking dressing style from his collegue. I don't care if he becomes the best manager in history, it's just embarassing stuff. You see that from 14 year olds that are impersonating their favourite footballer, but even they grow it out in few years, he is 37 ffs.