Mikel Arteta | Lego Pep watch

BorisManUtd

Watched this game from 30th minute or so and even though, given the chances, Arsenal should have won it 1-0, other than 10 minutes of intensity (60th to 70th minute), it was mostly boring and slow. Burnley can be tricky, away from home especially, we know that, but Arsenal should create more than they did today.

Arsenal's first 4 games after the break: Wolves (A), Chelsea (A), Brentford (H), Liverpool (H). Hugely important games.

Last edited:

dove

We are crap ourselves but at least we are not Arsenal. Imagine giving a new contract to a guy who finished 8th twice in a row and although Arsenal are doing tiny bit better this season so far, I would still expect them to finish 7th or 8th. He, very much like Ole, managed to lower the expectations so much that finishing 6th would probably be seen as a miraculous improvement on the last season.

Zoo

Yeah but look how he handled Aubameyang. What a boss.

Guy Incognito

They'll finish sixth at best. Which is probably an improvement on last season's finishing.

When players like Xhaka are first names on the teamsheet you can rest assured they won't be finishing in the top four.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Couldn't believe they couldn't score against Burnley.
Marvellous bonus for us that one.

Tyrion

Such a poo manager that gets undeserved plaudits.
I dont really get why he is given such a pass from the media while Wenger was declared past it 4 times a season in his final few years as manager and Ole was (imo correctly) seen as not being up to the job from his first match. They were practically fighting relegation a year ago and there wasn't much pressure on him. It's like being in the same frame as Pep confers immunity to criticism.

They'll finish sixth at best. Which is probably an improvement on last season's finishing.

When players like Xhaka are first names on the teamsheet you can rest assured they won't be finishing in the top four.
Iirc, they finished 8th last year under Arteta in his first full season and 6th the two years previously were they started under Emery.

GoonerBear

Supports
Arsenal
Poor day for us today. Think we are paying the price for the lack of options now in the forward areas, unable to change it or freshen things up when things aren't going our way.

We seem to have spent most of the window trying to get Vlahovic and it looks like an extremely fruitless chase.

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
Five times he's faced Burnley and the aggregate score is 2-2.

Flexdegea

We are crap ourselves but at least we are not Arsenal. Imagine giving a new contract to a guy who finished 8th twice in a row and although Arsenal are doing tiny bit better this season so far, I would still expect them to finish 7th or 8th. He, very much like Ole, managed to lower the expectations so much that finishing 6th would probably be seen as a miraculous improvement on the last season.

He nothing like Ole in the league to be fair.

Nish115

Supports
Arsenal
Just saw the tag, whats up??

Can't lie, looked poor this month, but think not having that midfield stability hinders us quite a bit. Ruins any structure the team has.

Tbh we had chances vs Burnley, just didn't take them. Lacazette is too hit and miss, and when he's miss it's bad.

Everyone can tell we need a new striker and midfielder, can't really blame Arteta for that tbh. That's the clubs job.

Hansi Fick

Supports
FC Bayern
Well you could blame Arteta for not being able to work with the top striker you've got. In fact, you should.

Nish115

Supports
Arsenal
Well you could blame Arteta for not being able to work with the top striker you've got. In fact, you should.
You mean Auba or Laca?

Laca has always been hit or miss. And, he also has stamina issues, so playing him every match isn't help.

Auba hasn't been in form for 2 years. And it seems a big part of that is his own fault. Seems to be giving up on football.

Arteta is pretty clear, he'll give full energy and effort into players who will give it back. Anyone else can see the door. And I haven't got any big issues with that. For too long we've seen lazy players who have excuses left right and centre playing for us. Most the current crop aren't like that.

Hansi Fick

Supports
FC Bayern
You mean Auba or Laca?

Laca has always been hit or miss. And, he also has stamina issues, so playing him every match isn't help.

Auba hasn't been in form for 2 years. And it seems a big part of that is his own fault. Seems to be giving up on football.

Arteta is pretty clear, he'll give full energy and effort into players who will give it back. Anyone else can see the door. And I haven't got any big issues with that. For too long we've seen lazy players who have excuses left right and centre playing for us. Most the current crop aren't like that.
Don't talk of excuses while bigging up Arteta in the same sentence. You'll never be more than midtable with him in charge. Continues to boggle my mind how Arsenal fans are so complacent. Aubameyang will have his pick of clubs, and every single one is stronger than Arsenal.

GoonerBear

Supports
Arsenal
Don't talk of excuses while bigging up Arteta in the same sentence. You'll never be more than midtable with him in charge. Continues to boggle my mind how Arsenal fans are so complacent. Aubameyang will have his pick of clubs, and every single one is stronger than Arsenal.
We aren't midtable now, and we aren't far off the points total we set my friend?! ;-)

Hansi Fick

Supports
FC Bayern
We aren't midtable now, and we aren't far off the points total we set my friend?! ;-)
We said 18 points from 10 as bare minimum, that's 1.8 per game. You're now on 36 points from 21 games, that's 1.7 points per game. Your on course for 65 points (you'll end up with less though), that's place 6 on average over the last 10 seasons (5x 6th, 3x 7th, 2x 5th). Arteta is failing the bare minimum goal, and yet everyone's acting like he's doing this amazing job. What he is amazing at, is lowering standards and getting away with it, somehow. Amazing.

Arsenal fans really need to snap out of this.

Last edited:

Nish115

Supports
Arsenal
We've literally averaged an above mid-table finish for the majority of his reign in charge. He had a terrible 5 months at the start of last season, but beyond that he's doing his job fine over the past 2 years.

Find it ironic, 3 weeks ago everyone was silent about Arteta, saying he's making good progress. A few games later, and oh it's panic stations already. Typical football fans who are so fickle tbh.

And no, he really wouldn't. Otherwise he'd be gone by now. His main option so far is a Saudi side. We've given Auba plenty of chances, but his head is gone.

I want us to finish above 8th this season. Then i'll give Arteta one more summer to get his squad together. After that, if we aren't competing for top 4, then i'll want a replacement.

But, I am fully aware he had a massive job to do when he came in, so i'm willing to give him some time to see it through.

GoonerBear

Supports
Arsenal
We said 18 points from 10 as bare minimum, that's 1.8 per game. You're now on 36 points from 21 games, that's 1.7 points per game. Arteta is failing the bare minimum goal, and yet everyone's acting like he's doing this amazing job. What he is amazing at, is lowering standards and getting away with it, somehow. Amazing.
I also said 70 points at end of season, and it's not end of season yet. Perhaps we shouldn't judge to soon. People are quick to judge when we go on a wee run, but the same token they are quick to judge when we have a bad run. It's all a bit too reactive considering all teams around us drop points.

Nish115

Supports
Arsenal
We said 18 points from 10 as bare minimum, that's 1.8 per game. You're now on 36 points from 21 games, that's 1.7 points per game. Your on course for 65 points (you'll end up with less though), that's place 6 on average over the last 10 seasons. Arteta is failing the bare minimum goal, and yet everyone's acting like he's doing this amazing job. What he is amazing at, is lowering standards and getting away with it, somehow. Amazing.
Rebuilding a club like Arsenal or United is clearly not that easy. See United. They thought they almost had it fixed for the past 5 years, and now it looks like their back to square one..

If you're going to give up on a manager after a season, and keep swapping, then you'll just end up doing the same thing.