Mikel Arteta | Lego Pep watch

Mastadon

Supports
Arsenal
Not deemed good enough by a club you’re competing with for CL football.
If you’re saying that not being deemed good enough for City is a problem then I have news for you about everyone in your squad. None of them are good enough for City either.

C'est Moi Cantona

I think most top clubs with trophy aspirations would be pretty underwhelmed with G Jesus, Pep will have squeezed the absolute maximum out of him, and he's still always looked just a bit below the required level for them.

If they get Raphina then it'll be a pretty impressive signing, one I'd have been excited about if we got him, far from without risks though.

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
Raphinha - Jesus - Saka, lacks quality?
Well it's possibly better than our front 3 but yes. They're all just good players, not top class. Also Raphinha and Saka play the same position so...

Zoo

Its worked well enough for City and Arteta wants to play that style of football. He knows Jesus from his time at City and he will certainly know how he wants him to play. If we are to be City lite with Pep lite then signing someone who has been very good for them is a great way to go about it.
Maybe but both Pep and Klopp have moved this summer to sign more traditional target man strikers suggesting a shift in philosophy.

Mastadon

Supports
Arsenal
You’ll quickly realise Jesus is pretty average.
Man plays about 30 league games a season for City and is a starter in over half their league games yet we are going to find him pretty average? Mate he would be a starter for you lot every day of the week.

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
Man plays about 30 league games a season for City and is a starter in over half their league games yet we are going to find him pretty average? Mate he would be a starter for you lot every day of the week.
He’s average and he wouldn’t.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
Fair play to the Arsenal fans, I would have thought bottling top 4 last season would have been the final straw but evidently the process is still trusted and the deluded optimism is as high as ever

Walrus

Oppressed White Male
Arteta is a clown, but this summer and last they are doing some great business in the transfer windows. A lot of jealousy from United fans (including me) here - imagine United coming out and getting multiple signings done early in the window.

cyberman

Don’t think Jesus will fit in with Artetas defensive first game plan. Like Sterling at Chelsea you need to be camped around the oppositions box to get the best out of him and that’s not how both sides play.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
Arteta is a clown, but this summer and last they are doing some great business in the transfer windows. A lot of jealousy from United fans (including me) here - imagine United coming out and getting multiple signings done early in the window.
White and Ramsdale was great business?

RedPed

Whatabouter.
United fans aren't jealous of Arsenal. Why should they be? They're just frustrated at lack of signings at the moment but I think everything will come together very soon. Perhaps not in time for pre-season which is what would have been ideal.

JB08

Searches for nude pics of Marcos Rojo
United fans aren't jealous of Arsenal. Why should they be? They're just frustrated at lack of signings at the moment but I think everything will come together very soon. Perhaps not in time for pre-season which is what would have been ideal.
Because Arsenal have clearly identified areas of weakness in their squad and have signed players to improve those positions before their pre-season has even started?

Surely that much is obvious?

Walrus

Oppressed White Male
White and Ramsdale was great business?
I don’t rate either of them particularly, and Arsenal certainly overpaid on White. That said, they practically renewed their entire back line in a single summer, plus adding Odegaard and generally some depth.

This year they have signed Vieira and renewed Nketieh. They are looking likely to get Raphinha and Jesus.

That’s virtually a whole new team they have bought/are buying over the course of two summers. Basically exactly what most United fans think we should be doing.

AshRK

Fair play to the Arsenal fans, I would have thought bottling top 4 last season would have been the final straw but evidently the process is still trusted and the deluded optimism is as high as ever
They will change the goalpost again when there is a blip once more to their campaign. It seems Arteta has weaved some black magic on their fans and they just love him for no absolute reason

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
Literally struggling to think of which Utd player I would take ahead of Jesus. Fernandez and Varane maybe.
We will see. Ronaldo, Rashford, Sancho are all better more talented players that have shown higher levels. You’re underestimating how much that city settup benefits those players. If ETH does his job, many of those utd players will play to their true levels.

Terry Chango

He scored 8 in 28 league games and 13 goals in 41 games overall for a very strong City side last season.

Bang average some might say.

Last edited:

Conor

Considering Arteta has essentially signed a whole team himself at this point, there really can be no excuses this season. I'm sure they'll find some though.

GoonerInPeace

Supports
Arsenal
Not finishing top 4 was a blow. But the punditry class said it meant we would lose out on all our transfer targets and there would be a mass exodus of players 'seeking champions league football'. Even though in the history of football no club has ever had a mass exodus of players on the hunt for CL football. Its a false cliche, I cringe whenever I hear it . So despite the disappointment we haven't dwelled on it and are moving on. Pursuing the same caliber of player we would have had we pipped Spurs to 4th.

I think last season Arsenal, Spurs and Man United put so much emphasis on finishing 4th that the future was totally dependent on it. Spurs have finished 4th and with their CL status its not like they have attracted Nkunku or Bellingham. They could target Richarlison with no CL football, They didnt need CL football to sign Yves Bissouma.

There was a race for 4th last season. Spurs won it. It happened and the worlds keeps spinning.

RedPed

Whatabouter.
Because Arsenal have clearly identified areas of weakness in their squad and have signed players to improve those positions before their pre-season has even started?

Surely that much is obvious?
We won't know whether they've improved until the season starts so go ahead, knock yourself out. I'm not bothered about them at all. You don't get any points in pre-season. I'll only assess the situation when we kick our first ball against Brighton.

ThatsGreat

Supports
Arsenal
Well it's possibly better than our front 3 but yes. They're all just good players, not top class. Also Raphinha and Saka play the same position so...
No they don't, both keep switching flanks when needed.
I mean I would've been disappointed if we were not able to get any of our targets in. But as it seems like we 'll be getting Jesus, Raphinha and Martinez anyway, even without CL football, what has the loss of CL qualification cost us really. We were never going to be winning it.

JSArsenal

No they don't, both keep switching flanks when needed.

I mean I would've been disappointed if we were not able to get any of our targets in. But as it seems like we 'll be getting Jesus, Raphinha and Martinez anyway, even without CL football, what has the loss of CL qualification cost us really. We were never going to be winning it.
It cost us revenue and maybe it will cost us players as well. Who wants to spend their career at a club that isn't even in the Champions League?

Saka will have the likes of Foden & Grealish in his ears at the World Cup telling him how great it is at City and what playing in the top tier of Europe is like.

I think Arteta could get us back into the top 4 but I don't think he's good enough to win the title with us. He's our Brendan Rodgers, albeit with far less exciting football than Rodgers had Liverpool playing. If he makes top 4 he has a job for the next decade at least because every subsequent failure (whether that's failing to win the title or dropping out of the top 4) the excuses will be "He got us back into the CL after seven years, give him time"

The only salvation I see is if Arteta somehow manages to con City's owners to let him be Pep's replacement because only way we're going to be rid of these charlatan is if he goes of his own accord. The goal posts will always be shifted and excuses made. I imagine next season it will be how we have too many new players and Arteta needs time to get them to gel together. Although when he inherited the squad the excuse was that he needs to build his own team, which he has twice over now.

ThatsGreat

Supports
Arsenal
It cost us revenue and maybe it will cost us players as well. Who wants to spend their career at a club that isn't even in the Champions League?

Saka will have the likes of Foden & Grealish in his ears at the World Cup telling him how great it is at City and what playing in the top tier of Europe is like.

I think Arteta could get us back into the top 4 but I don't think he's good enough to win the title with us. He's our Brendan Rodgers, albeit with far less exciting football than Rodgers had Liverpool playing. If he makes top 4 he has a job for the next decade at least because every subsequent failure (whether that's failing to win the title or dropping out of the top 4) the excuses will be "He got us back into the CL after seven years, give him time"

The only salvation I see is if Arteta somehow manages to con City's owners to let him be Pep's replacement because only way we're going to be rid of these charlatan is if he goes of his own accord. The goal posts will always be shifted and excuses made. I imagine next season it will be how we have too many new players and Arteta needs time to get them to gel together. Although when he inherited the squad the excuse was that he needs to build his own team, which he has twice over now.
Agree that Arteta isn't good enough to win the title with us. But until someone of the caliber of Klopp becomes available, I struggle to see anyone winning the title when City is there. Top four unfortunately will be the height of our ambitions.

JSArsenal

Agree that Arteta isn't good enough to win the title with us. But until someone of the caliber of Klopp becomes available, I struggle to see anyone winning the title when City is there. Top four unfortunately will be the height of our ambitions.
I think winning the title is possible but I take the point that City, Liverpool & Chelsea will be hurdles to overcome. I'm sure Arsenal fans felt the same way about United in 1995 and football fans in general about United in 2008.

Beyond our rivals I think Arteta is taking us "backwards" if that makes sense in that he isn't getting enough out of these players. Imagine if Mancini was still in charge of this City side, he isn't a bad coach by any means but this team wouldn't be nearly as good under him than they are right now under Guardiola.

I want a manager who gets more out of his squad, not less. Similar to how some United fans felt about Ole.

TwoSheds

Why would City want Saka though? Zinchenko replacement?

JSArsenal

Why would City want Saka though? Zinchenko replacement?
Long term replacement for Sterling, unless they already have his replacement. I don't follow City closely; but a young English player will always be in demand

TwoSheds

Long term replacement for Sterling, unless they already have his replacement. I don't follow City closely; but a young English player will always be in demand
Sterling scores goals though. He also latterly mostly played on the left or down the middle.

Real Madras

Supports
Real Oviedo
Don’t get the hype around Jesus. Has never scored more than 14 goals in a season.

RacingClub

Supports
Racing Club
They will change the goalpost again when there is a blip once more to their campaign.
To be fair it was mostly opposition fans who moved the goalposts and said that not getting top 4 was a failure, few if any Arsenal fans expected to get champions league football last August.

He scored 8 in 28 league games and 13 goals in 41 games overall for a very strong City side last season.

Bang average some might say.
Some might say that but it's kind of a disingenuous way of framing his City career.

It would be fairer to go by goals per minutes played and in his City career he's scored a goal every 150 minutes or so, it's not like he doesn't know where the goal is if given the opportunity.

Plus even disregarding his goal record (which I would say is better than average) his all round play is great too.

Works hard, scores and assists.

Massive upgrade on Lacazette.

ThatsGreat

Supports
Arsenal
To be fair it was mostly opposition fans who moved the goalposts and said that not getting top 4 was a failure, few if any Arsenal fans expected to get champions league football last August.
Exactly, missing top four by 2 points after jettisoning Lacazette and Aubameyang midseason, isn't really a failure. This season CL is the target and if he fails he should get the sack.

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
Which goes to show just how much Arteta has dropped the standards. Under Wenger "just 4th" led to mass protests to get him out, as soon as Emery had his first season and got a big kitty expectations went through the roof to the point it merely took a bad few weeks for general opinion to do a 180.

When is Arteta actually going to be held to the expectations fitting to a) the size of the club he's managing and b) the backing he's had?

RacingClub

Supports
Racing Club
Which goes to show just how much Arteta has dropped the standards.
I don't think it was much a case of Arteta dropping the standards as much as realizing that there were at least 4 teams who were in a better position to finish above them.

United being such a catastrophe meant that the 4th place opened up and they didn't seize the opportunity but just because Spurs backed Conte in January and he managed to overtake Arteta doesn't mean that he "failed" , they progressed on the previous season and finished where they probably should have all things considered.

When is Arteta actually going to be held to the expectations fitting to a) the size of the club he's managing and b) the backing he's had?
A) Just because you are a big club doesn't mean you have the god given right to achieve anything, no matter how entitled the fanbase feels (something that Arsenal fans learned to he hard way after hounding Wenger out). You can either Buy it or Build it. They don't have unlimited funds so building something takes time.

B) I still think by the end of the summer that there will be 4 better Teams/ Squads in the league so probably a decent challenge for 4th is the best they can hope for.

Maybe a cup.

ThierryHenry14

Supports
Arsenal
Which goes to show just how much Arteta has dropped the standards. Under Wenger "just 4th" led to mass protests to get him out, as soon as Emery had his first season and got a big kitty expectations went through the roof to the point it merely took a bad few weeks for general opinion to do a 180.

If use the same logic then what the excuse is for not winning the league after spent 100m on Lukaku, big money on Werner and havertz? If arsenal board is happy with Arteta then so be it.