Mikel Arteta | Lego Pep watch

GoonerBear

Supports
Arsenal
:lol:

First and foremost, you’re not competing for the Premier League

Second, Man City dominating the league with their oil money isn’t anything new

What’s hilarious is Arsenal fans crawling out of their holes to engage more when they’ve had a good start after ages, it’ll be all the more entertaining when things go back to normalcy :yawn:
Not sure if you've read the various Arsenal related threads, but there's been plenty of us posting in here win, lose or draw the past couple of years.

AshRK

I am looking forward to the match. This is the best I have seen them under Arteta so Sunday should be fun.

#00F

Supports
Barca
Arsenal playing so much better football than United without needing to spend a fortune. They won't win many trophies, but then that's expected where other clubs easily spend 2-3x times more than them. United to me is the most dull, boring team in the top half.

The Corinthian

I will not take Mad Winger's name in vain
Supports
A Free Palestine
Arsenal playing so much better football than United without needing to spend a fortune. They won't win many trophies, but then that's expected where other clubs easily spend 2-3x times more than them. United to me is the most dull, boring team in the top half.
How much do you think they’ve spent compared to then other big six since Arteta had been in charge?

Edwards6

Think you need to check how much they've spent since Arteta took over

BluesJr

Owns the moral low ground
Classic troll.

Daydreamer

Supports
Arsenal
How much do you think they’ve spent compared to then other big six since Arteta had been in charge?
Less than everyone bar Liverpool.

Chelsea - £579m
United - £472m
City - £403m
Spurs - £369m
Arsenal - £354m
Liverpool - £243m

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
I'd be delighted to be proven wrong about him over the course of this season. Don't think I will be though.
But until then, I'll enjoy this likeable young Arsenal team's every success and I'm happy that long-suffering Arsenal fans can have a good time.
You sound like an Arsenal fan. Any reason for the affinity?

reddevilchennai

They spent heavily on the last two summer windows. Dumb statement without proper research.

GoonerBear

Supports
Arsenal
I, for one, am looking forward to a CM-less lineup. They're overrated anyway.
We can't have too many good things, that would be too easy for the life of an Arsenal fan.

I actually think we might have a smaller squad now than we had after the January window, only this time we have games every midweek.

Yep, this is going to end well again!

Donaldo

Caf Vigilante
Supports
Arsenal
I think he's obstinate to a fault sometimes. He wants to find the player who fits the exact mold he's looking for mentally, in terms of what he will demand from them and in maintaining harmony and obedience. If that means we don't fill a vital role in the middle of the park, so be it. If that means he has to train White to play there, even better.

Mogget

Supports
Arsenal
If you think that's a clap-back then :lol:

I suspect a long hiatus beckons for many resident Gooners in coming months if they are this touchy early on :lol:
I noticed that at the end of last season. Loads of newbie Arsenal fans on here when it looked like we were going to finish 4th, who then disappeared after the Spurs game.

Mogget

Supports
Arsenal
I think he's obstinate to a fault sometimes. He wants to find the player who fits the exact mold he's looking for mentally, in terms of what he will demand from them and in maintaining harmony and obedience. If that means we don't fill a vital role in the middle of the park, so be it. If that means he has to train White to play there, even better.
Arsenal Twitter seem to think we're going to sign Danilo from Palmeiras in January to fill that role. Could be why the club didn't really try too hard to sign someone this window.

It's another gamble, and one I think we're going to regret.

Rooney in Paris

Gerrard shirt..Anfield? You'll Never Live it Down
Scout
You're gonna last long.

Donaldo

Caf Vigilante
Supports
Arsenal
Arsenal Twitter seem to think we're going to sign Danilo from Palmeiras in January to fill that role. Could be why the club didn't really try too hard to sign someone this window.

It's another gamble, and one I think we're going to regret.
I saw this put in another context on twitter, which I'm inclined to agree with. 10 PL games until the WC, and one squad player short. We can't afford the bloated squads a United or City can, so yes, we're short, and yes we'll probably suffer in the cups, but I think if we can get at least 18-20 points out of the next 30, we're ok if we move fast in January.

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
The good newbies just trying to be a full member are all tainted by posters like you.

GoonerBear

Supports
Arsenal
I saw this put in another context on twitter, which I'm inclined to agree with. 10 PL games until the WC, and one squad player short. We can't afford the bloated squads a United or City can, so yes, we're short, and yes we'll probably suffer in the cups, but I think if we can get at least 18-20 points out of the next 30, we're ok if we move fast in January.
By my count we have 18 games left until the World Cup. 6 of those are Europa League games, and 1 League Cup game. So 11 league games before.

We than have 2 league games and a potential League Cup game in December after the World Cup, and play Newcastle on 2nd January.

So that 11 soon becomes 14 before the window really opens.

I'd argue we are 2 squad players short, a midfielder and a wide player. We are in danger of running Saka into the ground. Unless we think 1 of Marquinos or Nelson can step up.

Donaldo

Caf Vigilante
Supports
Arsenal
By my count we have 18 games left until the World Cup. 6 of those are Europa League games, and 1 League Cup game. So 11 league games before.

We than have 2 league games and a potential League Cup game in December after the World Cup, and play Newcastle on 2nd January.

I'd argue we are 2 squad players short, a midfielder and a wide player. We are in danger of running Saka into the ground. Unless we think 1 of Marquinos or Nelson can step up.
Stop poking holes in my unfounded optimism.

Nish115

Supports
Arsenal
We will massively regret not signing a DM. A winger is 50/50, probably can get by till January, but a DM not so.

Shame as we had a strong start to the window, but we've been outspent by 8 other PL Clubs in the end..

VanGaalEra

This was so obvious and I’m shocked Arsenal haven’t added a CM or a wide player. They had so long after the Zinchenko purchase. I think it’s going to be a big mistake.

Do you think the board have relaxed a little seeing the start the team has made knowing the fan base are content at the moment?

The Corinthian

I will not take Mad Winger's name in vain
Supports
A Free Palestine
Less than everyone bar Liverpool.

Chelsea - £579m
United - £472m
City - £403m
Spurs - £369m
Arsenal - £354m
Liverpool - £243m
So, would you say everyone else has spent 2-3x as much as Arsenal?

GoonerBear

Supports
Arsenal
Stop poking holes in my unfounded optimism.
Apologies mate. For what it's worth, in terms of squad planning, I do think that the Danilo plan was the way they were thinking, and certainly made sense.

Sign him in January when the Brazilian season finishes, give him 6 months with Partey & Elneny here to just settle in and acclimatise, then potentially take over from Elneny to compete with / take over from Partey properly next season.

The spoke in that plan is that Partey is unreliable fitness wise, and Elneny's injury has really left us short. We need to hope / pray that somehow Partey gets and stays relatively fit, and manage his games if we need to, and Sambi makes the step up.

GoonerBear

Supports
Arsenal
This was so obvious and I’m shocked Arsenal haven’t added a CM or a wide player. They had so long after the Zinchenko purchase. I think it’s going to be a big mistake.

Do you think the board have relaxed a little seeing the start the team has made knowing the fan base are content at the moment?
See my post just made. I think the long term plan might be to look at Danilo in January. Its the only thing that makes sense to me in terms of their decisions. Someone like Luiz they see as a 'safe' option, but someone like Danilo has more of a potential upside I think, and I think they are always thinking long term who would be better.

They evidently want a wide player as well, I just think they didnt have the budget for both, and switched priorities at the end of the window after Elneny got injured.

However, that means they have ended up with neither. So yeah, a bit of a failure on that part.

the_cliff

See my post just made. I think the long term plan might be to look at Danilo in January. Its the only thing that makes sense to me in terms of their decisions. Someone like Luiz they see as a 'safe' option, but someone like Danilo has more of a potential upside I think, and I think they are always thinking long term who would be better.

They evidently want a wide player as well, I just think they didnt have the budget for both, and switched priorities at the end of the window after Elneny got injured.

However, that means they have ended up with neither. So yeah, a bit of a failure on that part.
Zinchenko can also fill in in midfield correct ?

I'm not a fan of tielemens and can understand why you didn't get him in, he doesn't really add anything extra to what you have atm imo.

ShinjiNinja26

At least get your facts right before attempting to throw shade at another club. The standard of posters signing up these days is terrible.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
Of course they play better, they’re a team that has been trained and moulded over 2-3 years vs 2-3 months…
Doesn't that speak to the good decision Arsenal made to stick with him then? Things were really rocky at times. I mean, really really rocky. At one point almost every single Arsenal fan wanted him out and we were all looking at their decision to keep sticking by him as a sign of the club's standards slipping. At almost any other club, he likely would have lost his job.

Obviously it's still very early in the season and there's a lot of time left for things to go tits up, and I'm by no means throwing Arsenal a parade here, but I think they deserve praise for how they have navigated the tough times with Arteta.

Last edited:

Sylar

Was at the Emirates stadium for the match v Villa. A combination of Villa being atrocious (Gerrard just stands there with his arms crossed). He seriously came to not lose. And didnt say a word about the playing out the back after the first five errors.
Arsenal however were also very good. Their passing is slick, and the fans look like they actually believe (not that they will win the title, but get cl football, get good football and be competitive)

I think Arsenal with their team will get good results against the lower teams. If they do that, and continue it, it sets them up for CL football for the season after. The europa league coming in will be interesting though. The extra games with their midfield issues will test them.