Mikel Arteta | Lego Pep watch

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Not looking forward to our game against them tbh. They've had our number under Ole and Rangnick and we are too early in ETHs developmental phase while they are flying.

Donaldo

Caf Vigilante
Supports
Arsenal
Not looking forward to our game against them tbh. They've had our number under Ole and Rangnick and we are too early in ETHs developmental phase while they are flying.
We always contrive to lose against your lot whenever we're relatively happy with life. Wouldn't expect anything different on Sunday.

As a team though, yes, with Partey and Zinchenko we should blow you away. Without, it'll be very even.

EDIT: And if Odergaard's missing I think you're definitely favourites.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
Last night was probably one of their first tests - going 1-1 from a shitty goal that would usually have rocked their confidence - they did well to recover and show resilience.

Donaldo

Caf Vigilante
Supports
Arsenal
Last night was probably one of their first tests - going 1-1 from a shitty goal that would usually have rocked their confidence - they did well to recover and show resilience.
It's the youthful naivete and exuberance which actually works well for us in this instance. Our teams in the last 5-7 years would've been moaning and pointing fingers immediately, letting their heads drop and not willing to take any risks for fear of any individual feck ups. Arteta's given these young players a lot of confidence in going forward, which is great to see because that was a reservation I had in his first year plus.

cyberman

Imo the second goal came too soon after the equaliser to show anything about resilience, especially when it’s from a keepers mistake

gaffs

Ole was making progress in terms of points and league position. Until he wasn't.

The issue with Ole is he wasn't actually achieving anything beyond turning us from a shit team to a less shit team while spending a fortune in the transfer window. Which kind of describes Arteta's time at Arsenal thus far, except he's not actually managed to get a top 4 finish yet whereas Ole got two.

Now Arteta may carry Arsenal's upward trajectory for years to come in which case we will give him huge credit, but until he actually achieves that I'd hold off on suggesting he's doing a "great" job.
Ole only improved us on a points basis in one season. Arteta has done it for the past two years and has now started the season with 15 of 15.

I think its very fair to say that Ole started with a far superior squad to start with too.

Arteta has done a good job in getting rid of deadwood. Made a big move in getting rid of Aubameyang. Ole wouldn't have had the balls to do that.

awop

Odds winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
Supports
Arsenal
Arsenal fans, what is the script with Vieira? He's been an unused substitute in every game so far, unless I'm mistaken? What did you pay for him again?
30/35 ? Arrived injured, only played one game with the U21 and is probably not yet up to speed. Skinny build, can't speak english to save his life so it might take time.He will probably have his debut against Zurich in the EL to rotate/replace Odegaard.

Skills

Snitch
Ole only improved us on a points basis in one season. Arteta has done it for the past two years and has now started the season with 15 of 15.

I think its very fair to say that Ole started with a far superior squad to start with too.

Arteta has done a good job in getting rid of deadwood. Made a big move in getting rid of Aubameyang. Ole wouldn't have had the balls to do that.
4D chess sinking a 70 point team (in 18/19) to a 56 point one, then improving them to 61 and 69 points from then on.

Powderfinger

Supports
Arsenal
We could be without Partey, Odegaard, and Zinchenko which is really the technical engine of the team. If so we may be limping more than flying.

Donaldo

Caf Vigilante
Supports
Arsenal
4D chess sinking a 70 point team (in 18/19) to a 56 point one, then improving them to 61 and 69 points from then on.
The sinking began much before Mikel walked in. Unai had a raw deal with Arsenes leftovers and was made worse with the Raul-Sven catastrophe.

Cannot be overstated how deep the club was in the shit, with ageing useless players on bloated wages and with no direction to speak of for the young blood.

To his credit, Arteta has righted the ship in his own vision, however much time and money it took. The club will look back and count this 2020-22 period as a middling to good one (with a cup along the way), with the promise of more to come.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
I just looked at Arsenal's upcoming fixtures. A rough looking run of games. We'll see what Arsenal and Arteta are made of at the end of this run - United, Spurs, Liverpool, City in the next 6 games.

GoonerBear

Supports
Arsenal
I just looked at Arsenal's upcoming fixtures. A rough looking run of games. We'll see what Arsenal and Arteta are made of at the end of this run - United, Spurs, Liverpool, City in the next 6 games.
United (A)
Everton (H)
Brentford (A)
Spurs (H)
Liverpool (H)
Leeds (A)
City (H)

Hard set of fixtures, European games in between some of them, let's see if my worries about the squad are confirmed.

ThierryHenry14

Supports
Arsenal
I want to see what Arsenal and Arteta are made of against Everton, Brentford and Leeds United.

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
Arteta obviously miles better than Ole. That's why the latter is still unemployed.
Arteta's been given more chances than most in the modern era. A lot of managers would have weathered bad patches and built a good team.

Credit to Arsenal for sticking with him but I'm not convinced yet. That don't change even if he beats us on Sunday.

Desert Eagle

Punjabi Dude
Yeah I'll judge him at the end of the season. Hopefully they finish outside the top four and trophyless

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
United (A)
Everton (H)
Brentford (A)
Spurs (H)
Liverpool (H)
Leeds (A)
City (H)

Hard set of fixtures, European games in between some of them, let's see if my worries about the squad are confirmed.
Yeah tough run of games with the EL also starting. If Arsenal are still flying high in a couple of weeks, I'll start to worry.

ThierryHenry14

Supports
Arsenal
No, about Arsenal actually being good again and the banter era potentially being temporarily suspended.
At this moment the resource of the top 4 club United, City, Liverpool and Chelsea is on another level compared with Spurs and Arsenal. The reason I believe there is a chance for Spurs and Arsenal to fight for the 4th place trophy in my opinion is because Man Utd is not well managed.

maniak

Supports
Arsenal
let's see if my worries about the squad are confirmed.
It's inevitable I think. I mean, it's 2022 and this week we were forced to think "hmm elneny is injured, I wonder who will play". It's absurd.

romufc

I think Arteta struggles to handle Egos in his squad, we have seen this with a few players. He also prefers to have a smaller squad to allow that seige mentality and less moans from players not playing.

THis will cost them this season with the number of games being played.

Kush

Hyperbolic and will post where they like!!
The more they’re built up, the funnier their inevitable meltdown will be

He’s their Ole, we all know how it plays out. And, unfortunately for him, the PL isn’t as shit as it was under 2 seasons under Ole

Yagami

Good post resistant
The one thing he has is that he knows the importance of press resistant players, and their scouting team are good at identifying said players.

A backline that's strong and decent on the ball. A front four of players who can keep the ball under pressure and dribble.

His two problems are depth and central midfield. He has no press resistant central midfielders, and they've seemingly tried to solve that issue but have failed in signing Arthur and I think Renato Sanches.

I think that will be their undoing this season.

Kush

It is just as funny as Man City winning the league and Haaland scoring for fun.
:lol:

First and foremost, you’re not competing for the Premier League

Second, Man City dominating the league with their oil money isn’t anything new

What’s hilarious is Arsenal fans crawling out of their holes to engage more when they’ve had a good start after ages, it’ll be all the more entertaining when things go back to normalcy :yawn:

awop

Odds winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
Supports
Arsenal
The sinking began much before Mikel walked in. Unai had a raw deal with Arsenes leftovers and was made worse with the Raul-Sven catastrophe.

Cannot be overstated how deep the club was in the shit, with ageing useless players on bloated wages and with no direction to speak of for the young blood.

To his credit, Arteta has righted the ship in his own vision, however much time and money it took. The club will look back and count this 2020-22 period as a middling to good one (with a cup along the way), with the promise of more to come.
Give it a few years and people will wonder how Arteta only finished 8th with Henry Fabregas and Sanchez in his squad.

Kush

That's why i am enjoying the football Man City is playing, and Manchester is blue. Cheers!
If you think that's a clap-back then :lol:

I suspect a long hiatus beckons for many resident Gooners in coming months if they are this touchy early on :lol:

Hansi Fick

Supports
FC Bayern
I'd be delighted to be proven wrong about him over the course of this season. Don't think I will be though.
But until then, I'll enjoy this likeable young Arsenal team's every success and I'm happy that long-suffering Arsenal fans can have a good time.

The Corinthian

I will not take Mad Winger's name in vain
Supports
A Free Palestine
I'd be delighted to be proven wrong about him over the course of this season. Don't think I will be though.
But until then, I'll enjoy this likeable young Arsenal team's every success and I'm happy that long-suffering Arsenal fans can have a good time.
Well, we all know why you like Arsenal so much.

ThierryHenry14

Supports
Arsenal
If you think that's a clap-back then :lol:

I suspect a long hiatus beckons for many resident Gooners in coming months if they are this touchy early on :lol:
I enjoy the success of man city just as much as you enjoy the upcoming melt down of arsenal fans. Enjoy!