g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

Mikel Arteta | Lego Pep watch

B20

HEY EVERYONE I IGNORE SOMEONE LOOK AT ME
Supports
Liverpool
They’re very thin on the ground in midfield and the quality (aside from Sbozoszlai) is hardly outstanding. MacAllister could be out for a duration of time too.

Van Dijk and Allison are undoubtably class and Alexander-Arnold is brilliant offensively but they do lack depth in defence and any injuries could seriously hamper them, particularly if they progress far in Europa.

They’ve got brilliant forward options, which are pretty much comparable to anyone in the league, so can always pop up with match-winning moments - as shown on many occasions already. I feel like they’re somewhat reliant on that though and could easily have dropped more points in the league so far.
I think we've got really good depth in defence, trouble is that Matip and Konate are injury prone. But Gomez used to be top quality and still has that level in him (just a lot more erratic after all his injuries). And Quansah seems a genuine talent.

We actually have the joint fewest conceded and joint most scored in the league so far. Our biggest issue is imo is game control. It's ridiculous how many games we only start playing after we go behind

always_hoping

Liverpool have the 5th best starting XI and 3rd best overall squad in the league with the 4th best manager. Not a chance they fluke another Covid title.
Not sure where you pulled those views out of..

As for the latter they walked to the title during covid this one they'll simply finish top unless Man City can find their mojo again.

Garnacho's Shoelaces

Not sure where you pulled those views out of..

As for the latter they walked to the title during covid this one they'll simply finish top unless Man City can find their mojo again.
Taking player ability as their highest, City/Arsenal/United/Chelsea/Spurs all have better starting XIs than Liverpool.

Liverpool have a better squad depth than most though which is more important than strongest XI for a season. Only City and Arsenal (since this year) have better squads.

Pep, EtH, Poch, Ange, arguably Gary O'Neil are better managers.

The Purley King

Taking player ability as their highest, City/Arsenal/United/Chelsea/Spurs all have better starting XIs than Liverpool.

Liverpool have a better squad depth than most though which is more important than strongest XI for a season. Only City and Arsenal (since this year) have better squads.

On paper the squad is arguably could be weaker (and that is pretty generous ) but the skill of a manager is making the team more than the some of their parts.
Something which we have been appalling at for the last decade and which Klopp has demonstrated he can do.
Liverpool will be close I’m sure but I still expect city to win it.
Klopp surely must be #2 best manager in the league based on the last few years.
If emery does the unthinkable this year I may re-assess my opt.

ForFuchsSake

I think we've got really good depth in defence, trouble is that Matip and Konate are injury prone. But Gomez used to be top quality and still has that level in him (just a lot more erratic after all his injuries). And Quansah seems a genuine talent.

We actually have the joint fewest conceded and joint most scored in the league so far. Our biggest issue is imo is game control. It's ridiculous how many games we only start playing after we go behind
Fair enough. To my mind, Arsenal and City are both far more complete sides which should stand them in better stead when we enter the business part of the season.

Some are already writing off City which is completely laughable. 6/7 points is absolutely nothing to them at this stage of the season.

On Liverpool, van Dijk is looking imperious once again (more like his former self) and Alison’s the best keeper in the league with his heroics bailing Liverpool out on a few occasions already. I personally don’t think your depth is anything great but if you’ve got the two aforementioned players fit it makes a massive difference.

always_hoping

Saturday night, out of interest how much alcohol have you consumed?

Most would agree ability or any wise United, Chelsea,Spurs do not have a better starting XIs than Liverpool.

And none of EtH, Poch, Ange, Gary O'Neil are better managers than Klopp.

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes

I'd love to give a fair reply but I'm not sure where to even start

B20

HEY EVERYONE I IGNORE SOMEONE LOOK AT ME
Supports
Liverpool
Fair enough. To my mind, Arsenal and City are both far more complete sides which should stand them in better stead when we enter the business part of the season.

Some are already writing off City which is completely laughable. 6/7 points is absolutely nothing to them at this stage of the season.

On Liverpool, van Dijk is looking imperious once again (more like his former self) and Alison’s the best keeper in the league with his heroics bailing Liverpool out on a few occasions already. I personally don’t think your depth is anything great but if you’ve got the two aforementioned players fit it makes a massive difference.
I think Allison, Van Dijk and Salah as a trio operate at a level higher than anyone at Arsenal are able to really. Besides that, I think the squads are fairly similar in quality but we have Klopp and you have Arteta. Weirdly, I think our experience with what it takes to good deep in such tournaments is to our advantage, but Arsenal in turn have greater squad coherence.

Trezeguet17

Which part is trolling? It's such a cop out argument to say "tRoLl!¿!¿!" rather than debate an opposing point of view. Usually underpinned by an overall lack of football knowledge.
My opposing point of view: Rashford right now is better and more valuable for us than Ronaldo in 07/08

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
Which part is trolling? It's such a cop out argument to say "tRoLl!¿!¿!" rather than debate an opposing point of view. Usually underpinned by an overall lack of football knowledge.
I’m sorry but you’re claiming O’Neil, Poch and Ten Hag are better managers than Klopp. I’d hope you’re trolling because the alternative is worse.

Conor

Come on now. Mourinho is a horrendous person. Easily as annoying as any other manager in football. Arteta does run him very close though.
Mourinho had a charm and wit to his antics at times. You hated him, but you also had to laugh at some of the stuff. Arteta is just a personality vacuum, nothing is entertaining, he's just a truly annoying human.

Fridge chutney

I don't know why everyone is so convinced Pool will drop off. They are doing well. I think Liverpool have a better shot at the title than Arsenal now, but i hope I'm wrong.

mathrait

Supports
Arsenal
I don't know why everyone is so convinced Pool will drop off. They are doing well. I think Liverpool have a better shot at the title than Arsenal now, but i hope I'm wrong.
Because we've watched them play. Their performances specially away from home have been unconvincing.

Yesterday they were completely dominated for 76 minutes until the red card. They could've been down 2-0 in the first 30 mins against Sheffield. They completely got away with it against City. They dropped points against Luton. It's unsustainable.

They got Salah, VVD and Alison who are quality, but there are still large gaps in their team. Endo looked championship level yesterday. Nunez and Gakpo are not at the level for a title winning team.

Unless they make a VVD level signing in January, I can't see them sustaining this till the end of the season. If they are to win the league, it'll be because Arsenal and Man City have completely blown it.

jadajos

Last Man Standing finalist 2022/23
Supports
Football
Because we've watched them play. Their performances specially away from home have been unconvincing.

Yesterday they were completely dominated for 76 minutes until the red card. They could've been down 2-0 in the first 30 mins against Sheffield. They completely got away with it against City. They dropped points against Luton. It's unsustainable.

They got Salah, VVD and Alison who are quality, but there are still large gaps in their team. Endo looked championship level yesterday. Nunez and Gakpo are not at the level for a title winning team.

Unless they make a VVD level signing in January, I can't see them sustaining this till the end of the season. If they are to win the league, it'll be because Arsenal and Man City have completely blown it.
You guys were 2 seconds from dropping points vs. Luton. Liverpool dropped points vs. them because Nunez missed sitters. Yes, won't be the last time this season, but it's not like you have a better no. 9. As much as you want to wish it into reality, Liverpool won't just drop away easily. Their midfield is new and still gelling, if anything they will get better as the season progresses and seeing as their only loss was against Tottenham where they played with 9 men and got a regular goal for the lead ruled out that's kind of a scary proposition. Their squad is thin though, so further injuries will certainly be very bad for them. Arsenal and City squads are not gigantic either though so that's true for all three sides. Let's see where everyone is at new years, the game at Anfield on the 23rd will be huge.

Garnacho's Shoelaces

Because they're scraping through games with the formula of go behind, controversial refereeing decision, unlimited injury team, fluky winner of low xG.

jadajos

Last Man Standing finalist 2022/23
Supports
Football
Because they're scraping through games with the formula of go behind, controversial refereeing decision, unlimited injury team, fluky winner of low xG.
They don't really overperform their XPTS much more than Arsenal so far: https://understat.com/league/EPL. Their only loss was after getting two players sent off and getting a regular goal ruled out. While they don't really overperform their XG, they do overperform their XGA by a lot, but you could argue if you do it for half a season it might be down to having the best keeper in the league. Whereas Raya and Ederson look way more prone to letting decent-but-not-great shots in.

That being said they looked absolutely dreadful vs. Palace, but I don't buy that being an indicator for them collapsing soon. We'll see where everyone is in the new year, I still believe City is by far the most likely team to take it.

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
Villa will win the league, but if not I suppose I hope it's Arsenal. Arteta is a Cheb but I'd rather that than another Liverpool or City win.

Mike Smalling

Villa will win the league, but if not I suppose I hope it's Arsenal. Arteta is a Cheb but I'd rather that than another Liverpool or City win.
Arteta actually has me wondering if I'd prefer a Liverpool or Arsenal league win. He is unsufferable, as are the Arsenal fans and several of their players.

Garnacho's Shoelaces

They don't really overperform their XPTS much more than Arsenal so far: https://understat.com/league/EPL. Their only loss was after getting two players sent off and getting a regular goal ruled out. While they don't really overperform their XG, they do overperform their XGA by a lot, but you could argue if you do it for half a season it might be down to having the best keeper in the league. Whereas Raya and Ederson look way more prone to letting decent-but-not-great shots in.

That being said they looked absolutely dreadful vs. Palace, but I don't buy that being an indicator for them collapsing soon. We'll see where everyone is in the new year, I still believe City is by far the most likely team to take it.
Brentford 6th on xPts is interesting.

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
Arteta actually has me wondering if I'd prefer a Liverpool or Arsenal league win. He is unsufferable, as are the Arsenal fans and several of their players.
Oh agreed, the media love in for Arsenal every time they manage to correctly tie their shoelaces is still there too, but City winning the league is bad for football and Liverpool winning again would be unconscionable. All the top teams aren't consistent this year to my eye and Villa are as consistent as anyone at the minute, I think they've a very good chance.

Rex Banner

How can you possibly watch United this season and think Ten Hag is a better manager than Klopp? You're talking out of your arse.

Garnacho's Shoelaces

How can you possibly watch United this season and think Ten Hag is a better manager than Klopp? You're talking out of your arse.
Both had similar records with big teams in second rate leagues. EtH record has been significantly better than Klopp's during their initial period in EPL joining big teams in transition. You're comparing 7 years of progress with 15 months. False equivalence.

awop

Odds winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
Supports
Arsenal
That the word ‘disgrace’ used by MA in the Interviews ‘has a very similar spelling and pronunciation to the Spanish ‘desgracia’ … the Spanish word has connotations of
misfortune, tragedy or bad luck rather than the connotations of the English equivalent which suggest contempt, dishonour or disrespect. While the English meaning may lead to
interpretations of abuse or insult, this was not the intended meaning of the Comments’.
That's some A+ lawyer work right there :lol: :lol:

CannonBalls

Supports
Arsenal
That's some A+ lawyer work right there :lol: :lol:
Just gone through some parts of the hearing, its golden.
1. Basically the panel says its strong worded, but that doesn't mean its disrespectful. Also says what he mentioned regarding the state of VAR has anyway been widely accepted. (Basically screwed the PGMOL).
2. It seems even Willock himself said that the ball went out of play.

Shane88

Actually Nostradamus
The way some of that report is worded makes it clear that Arsenal will be mollycoddled like Liverpool are after their outburst.

There is only an upside to berating refs, unless you're us.