g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

Mikel Arteta | Lego Pep watch

CannonBalls

Supports
Arsenal

Doracle

The Panel basically said the FA has said VAR is poorly implemented (after the Spurs-Liverpool match), so fair enough for Arteta to have the same view. Can’t really argue with that!

GoonerGirly

Supports
Arsenal
:D Apparently Joe Willock (who crossed the ball in for their goal) told his former teammates that the ball had gone out! Hale End boy couldn't resist helping us out one last time.

Xaviesta

Supports
Barcelona
So it's clear that a manager for whom Spanish is their first language will not be punished for using the word 'disgrace' when discussing refereeing or a particular refereeing decision.

Doracle

So it's clear that a manager for whom Spanish is their first language will not be punished for using the word 'disgrace' when discussing refereeing or a particular refereeing decision.
Whilst a nice headline, the interpretation of that wording played no role in the decision.

Daydreamer

Supports
Arsenal
Both had similar records with big teams in second rate leagues. EtH record has been significantly better than Klopp's during their initial period in EPL joining big teams in transition. You're comparing 7 years of progress with 15 months. False equivalence.
And you’re comparing winning a titles with Dortmund by overtaking the club with the most resources in the league (Bayern) to winning titles through managing the team with most resources in the league (Ajax).

False equivalence. But worse.

Daydreamer

Supports
Arsenal
Whilst a nice headline, the interpretation of that wording played no role in the decision.
Yep. The decision basically says you can’t punish Arteta for calling refereeing in this country a disgrace when the PGMOL has admitting as much several times.

Rooney in Paris

Gerrard shirt..Anfield? You'll Never Live it Down
Scout
He’s the one who retrieved the ball and crossed it in. I’d say out of anyone he’d have had the best view.
If you've ever played football, you'll know that's not particularly the case. It sounds like a "gotcha", but the reality is he probably said to his teammates "yeah I think it probably was out" or something like this, but it doesn't mean anything.

When I was playing football a few years ago, we conceded a goal where our keeper misjudged his position and the ball went over the line, on a corner - 20 players (all minus the 2 keepers) saw that ball cross the line. The ref saw it cross the line. People in the town next door could probably see it cross the line. To this day, our keeper still maintains that it didn't cross the line. I don't think it was embarrassment at conceding a goal (he was shit anyway and was usually quite willing to make fun at himself for his own mistakes), and it the relentlessness with which he maintained his stance showed he truly believed it. He was wrong, he was theoretically the best player to judge it, but he was absolutely wrong.

GoonerGirly

Supports
Arsenal
City dropped points last year while Pep was tweaking his system for his perennial 10-15 match winning streak. But they were never actually playing poorly. Whereas the stats seems to indicate Villa well and truly dominated them tonight. If nothing else, it definitely dents their aura of invulnerability.
If you've ever played football, you'll know that's not particularly the case. It sounds like a "gotcha", but the reality is he probably said to his teammates "yeah I think it probably was out" or something like this, but it doesn't mean anything.

When I was playing football a few years ago, we conceded a goal where our keeper misjudged his position and the ball went over the line, on a corner - 20 players (all minus the 2 keepers) saw that ball cross the line. The ref saw it cross the line. People in the town next door could probably see it cross the line. To this day, our keeper still maintains that it didn't cross the line. I don't think it was embarrassment at conceding a goal (he was shit anyway and was usually quite willing to make fun at himself for his own mistakes), and it the relentlessness with which he maintained his stance showed he truly believed it. He was wrong, he was theoretically the best player to judge it, but he was absolutely wrong.
So because your keeper was wrong it means Joe Willock is too? Your keeper had great incentive to maintain it didn't go over. What exactly is Willock's reason for saying it looked out to him? Anyway, the important point is Willock saying it was out looked to have been a big reason the case was dismissed against Arteta. Thank you Joe

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
So because your keeper was wrong it means Joe Willock is too? Your keeper had great incentive to maintain it didn't go over. What exactly is Willock's reason for saying it looked out to him? Anyway, the important point is Willock saying it was out looked to have been a big reason the case was dismissed against Arteta. Thank you Joe
That seems incredibly unlikely. Where did you read that? Have you got a link?

GoonerGirly

Supports
Arsenal
That seems incredibly unlikely. Where did you read that? Have you got a link?
https://www.theguardian.com/footbal...nt-for-refereeing-rant-after-newcastle-defeat
6th paragraph, it talks about how the commission took into account Arteta's "heightened" emotional state as Willock told Arsenal players he thought the ball had gone out. This seemed to have been part of what formed their decision.

And another https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/f...t-James-Park-Mikel-Arteta-escapes-ban-FA.html

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
https://www.theguardian.com/footbal...nt-for-refereeing-rant-after-newcastle-defeat
6th paragraph, it talks about how the commission took into account Arteta's "heightened" emotional state as Willock told Arsenal players he thought the ball had gone out. This seemed to have been part of what formed their decision.

And another https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/f...t-James-Park-Mikel-Arteta-escapes-ban-FA.html
Ah. Ok. So they partially attribute Arteta’s embarrassing meltdown to what Willock said. Your ex player helped make your manager look like a total melt. “Well done Joe” indeed.

GoonerGirly

Supports
Arsenal
Ah. Ok. So they partially attribute Arteta’s embarrassing meltdown to what Willock said. Your ex player helped make your manager look like a total melt. “Well done Joe” indeed.
Yep, total melt but no charge and no touchline ban. Hallelujah!

GoonerGirly

Supports
Arsenal
What a weird bunch.
What's weird about being happy your manager isn't going to be charged/banned/fined? I was not expecting this outcome so it's a nice surprise. After waiting a month for the verdict, I was expecting bad news.

City dropped points, and if you lot can get something at Anfield, this weekend will be perfect. Assuming we beat Brighton of course, which hasn't been an easy task for us.

Giggs' right foot

What's weird about being happy your manager isn't going to be charged/banned/fined? I was not expecting this outcome so it's a nice surprise. After waiting a month for the verdict, I was expecting bad news.

City dropped points, and if you lot can get something at Anfield, this weekend will be perfect. Assuming we beat Brighton of course, which hasn't been an easy task for us.
Insert GOT meme *If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention*

Torino

Supports
Newcastle United
Booked again, really needs to control his emotions.

CannonBalls

Supports
Arsenal
Booked again, really needs to control his emotions.
I understand that he can be frustrating sometime (a lot of time for rival fans). But not sure what he did today is worse then what RDZ/Klopp/Pep do every other game. But he has got this reputation now so it is what it is.

Gene Loblaw

Supports
Arsenal
I understand that he can be frustrating sometime (a lot of time for rival fans). But not sure what he did today is worse then what RDZ/Klopp/Pep do every other game. But he has got this reputation now so it is what it is.
I think there's a difference between arguing with a ref and mocking a ref. And Mikel seems to lean towards the latter which is probably why he gets in trouble more imo.

Zora

Love or hate him (I can’t stand him), he’s doing a cracking job. Arsenal are fun to watch and they consistently get good results.

I wrote him off but I guess many people did. Fair play to the guy and good luck to Arsenal.

tinfish

Supports
Arsenal

What the feck is this :lol: ?

He's an embarrassment.
Upon reflection I don't think it's that bad.

Just waving his hands in the air doing a bhangra dance doesn't merit a yellow card.
Whats even worse is the context here. White got a yellow card for shirt pull, but then Mitoma proceeded to do the exact same thing and got away with it. The protests from the players, the crowd and obviously Arteta caused the ref to change his mind and book Mitoma.

Sure, with the opposition fans they can laugh at us or cringe at his actions. But it's his action specifically that encouraged the ref to change his mind in the end and book Mitoma with a yellow card.

It's a game of fine margins, and to see Mitoma get a booking with the caveat of Arteta also being booked is a trade i'll take anyday.

Egalitard

Supports
Arsenal
Appointed four years ago today. It's been eventful! One FA Cup, two Community Shields, 205 games, 123 wins. Patience was definitely needed during that horrible run at the end of 2020, and I gave up after we failed to beat Villarreal in the Europa League semi. But since the horrific start to 2021-22 it's been very good. We were 10th when he joined and a long way off. Now we're one of the best teams in Europe. Vamos Lego Pep.

Ghirahim

He and Edu's recruitments have been good. Now they are challenging for titles.