Mikel Arteta | Lego Pep watch

Brophs

The One and Only
-I’ve achieved everything possible at Arsenal
-But you haven’t won any—……….oh.

mu4c_20le

And nothing of value would be lost

Compared to the Klopp announcement. Many arsenal fans are probably rejoicing.

Maluco

Last Man Standing 3 champion 2019/20
Maybe Barca can tempt him with one of their levers. Do they still have some of those left to use?
I think with the next one you get a 2 for 1 on legend salary deferral :drool:

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
I don’t think he’s easily replaceable, he’s stabilised them quite well and the managerial market is terrible at the minute. Wonder if he has his eye on the Barcelona job now Xavi is leaving.
De Zerbi will just make them better and people wouldn't even miss Arteta.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
The rumours didn’t even make any sense. No manager would do all the work in building a team only to walk away when it reaches a high level. He’s not going anywhere for a few years unless things go pear shaped.

mu4c_20le

The rumours didn’t even make any sense. No manager would do all the work in building a team only to walk away when it reaches a high level. He’s not going anywhere for a few years unless things go pear shaped.
It's just Arsenal though. He probably knows he already blew their best chance of winning the league. If Madrid/Barca come calling of course he'll go.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
If Barca wants him, he'd probably leave Arsenal in favor of Barca let's be real. Doesn't matter what he's built, Barca is his peak

TheGame

I fail to understand the hype around Arteta. One FA Cup in 5 years at the club is hardly anything to shout about yet I fail to see that mentioned anywhere in news reports when his name comes up. I’m sure the only reason he is being considered for Barca is because he is an ex player.

amolbhatia50k

It's just Arsenal though. He probably knows he already blew their best chance of winning the league. If Madrid/Barca come calling of course he'll go.
If Barca wants him, he'd probably leave Arsenal in favor of Barca let's be real. Doesn't matter what he's built, Barca is his peak
Barring whatever sentiment he has for Barcelona it doesn’t really make sense. All that effort to walk away when you should be now be trying to challenge for trophies. And it’s not as though Barcelona have a better team or finances than Arsenal right now. They won the league last year but it’s a very risky job at the moment.

awop

Odds winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
Supports
Arsenal
Maybe he would if Barcelona were healthy. But going from Kroenke giving him 150M every window to Barca taking on a 12th mortgage on the stadium to afford a loan is not very enticing. They have no striker and most PL clubs are looking to get one in the summer. It could become a painful couple of years for them and i will love it.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Barring whatever sentiment he has for Barcelona it doesn’t really make sense. All that effort to walk away when you should be now be trying to challenge for trophies. And it’s not as though Barcelona have a better team or finances than Arsenal right now. They won the league last year but it’s a very risky job at the moment.
It's a much bigger club and it'll always be a bigger honor for him to be in charge of Barca than Arsenal. Just like Real Madrid was deemed a bigger club for Ronaldo than United even though United was much better than Real Madrid at the time. The size of Arsenal is nowhere near Barca.

amolbhatia50k

It's a much bigger club and it'll always be a bigger honor for him to be in charge of Barca than Arsenal. Just like Real Madrid was deemed a bigger club for Ronaldo than United even though United was much better than Real Madrid at the time. The size of Arsenal is nowhere near Barca.
True but managers have to face reality and be practical rather than just going by honour and historical significance. I’m not saying that Barcelona can’t bounce back soon but for a manager who is settled at Arsenal, receiving praise for his work thus far, a young squad and big financial backing from the board, it makes no sense whatsoever to give up all of that simply for the lure of Barcelona. At least not till he’s given himself a couple of years with his team post their first title challenge.

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
Same. Brighton set up is serving him well like it was Potter.
He’s still took them up a level and improved them after potter though. He still gets his team to play his style of play and tactics. If we can’t use our set up as an excuse for ETH not doing well then why’s it ok to say other managers are doing well because of there set up. Works both ways.

erikcred

No, he's such a twat.
Yes, but then he'd be our twat.

But he won't be interested. He's just rebuilt them into title challengers. To leave that job unfinished and start all over again would be a bad call.

Iker Quesadillas

Supports
Real Madrid
True but managers have to face reality and be practical rather than just going by honour and historical significance. I’m not saying that Barcelona can’t bounce back soon but for a manager who is settled at Arsenal, receiving praise for his work thus far, a young squad and big financial backing from the board, it makes no sense whatsoever to give up all of that simply for the lure of Barcelona. At least not till he’s given himself a couple of years with his team post their first title challenge.
I think you're underrating Barcelona a little bit. They won La Liga just last season and had 1 less point than Arsenal in the CL group stage. Even with their financial issues, they have a very good squad.

I don't think he should leave Arsenal just yet, but he wouldn't be going to mid 2010s AC Milan or anything.

Judas

Open to offers
Not that it would happen but I'd HATE him here. I can totally see me warming to Klopp because he'd be our twat, even though he's become insufferable these last few years. But Arteta is just a knobhead without you know the actual success.

Wengerista

Supports
Arsenal
With Klopp leaving and a chance that Pep follows him and/or City get punished in the next couple of years, I'd say equal or better chances will come. The challenge will now get progressively easier for the chasing pack of Arsenal, United, Villa, Spurs, Chelsea if they get their shit together....etc.

I think Arteta does know that he gets a considerable amount of time and leeway at Arsenal that he won't get at other clubs, least of all Barca.

I also can't see Real Madrid touching him with a ten-foot bargepole right now. Barca could be more open to giving him a chance but it'd end in tears and deep down he'll know that. If his friend and Barca legend feels so bleakly about what prospects are for a Barca head coach, he must know it'd be even worse for him.

Cloud7

He gets/has gotten a lot of leeway at Arsenal that he would not have gotten at Barcelona. That is a very high pressure environment and I would wager he would likely have been fired from there already. He has a good thing at Arsenal right now and staying there is probably the smart move for him.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
I think you're underrating Barcelona a little bit. They won La Liga just last season and had 1 less point than Arsenal in the CL group stage. Even with their financial issues, they have a very good squad.

I don't think he should leave Arsenal just yet, but he wouldn't be going to mid 2010s AC Milan or anything.
Yeah, think it'd actually be the perfect time to move to Barcelona as they've got a bit of a golden generation coming through at the minute.

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
He’d be stupid to leave Arsenal now of his own back. On the other hand though I think they could do with a more experienced manager or someone that knows how to win trophy’s. There definitely ready to be challenging now so they need someone to take them a level above.

Rooney in Paris

Gerrard shirt..Anfield? You'll Never Live it Down
Scout
Maybe he would if Barcelona were healthy. But going from Kroenke giving him 150M every window to Barca taking on a 12th mortgage on the stadium to afford a loan is not very enticing. They have no striker and most PL clubs are looking to get one in the summer. It could become a painful couple of years for them and i will love it.
But it's Barca. It's a different stratosphere than Arsenal. You're deluded if you think he wouldn't bite their hand off if they came calling.

GoonerBear

Supports
Arsenal
But it's Barca. It's a different stratosphere than Arsenal. You're deluded if you think he wouldn't bite their hand off if they came calling.
I think your wrong, I think you underestimate the lure of managing in the upper end of the Premier League. Barca and Real are both bigger than City or Liverpool as well but I don’t think they could lure either of their managers away either.

Arteta has the backing of the ownership, gets on well with Edu, has full say on transfers, is managing a club where he actually played first team football for a number of years, who’s finances are a lot healthier than Barca’s, and 1 of his direct rivals is leaving this year and another maybe next year, exactly when you’ve basically built your project to peak.

Why risk all that to go to Barca, who’s finances are a bit of a mess, who seem a bit all over the place in terms of buying players, who won’t even be playing in their own stadium next season, who’ll probably sack you if you can’t topple a Real Madrid team who look much better placed both on and off the pitch, just because ‘it’s Barca.’

Its not like he has a lot of history in LaLiga either, bar 6 months at Sociedad he’s spent his entire senior playing career and his coaching / managerial career outside of Spain.

Rooney in Paris

Gerrard shirt..Anfield? You'll Never Live it Down
Scout
I think your wrong, I think you underestimate the lure of managing in the upper end of the Premier League. Barca and Real are both bigger than City or Liverpool as well but I don’t think they could lure either of their managers away either.
Very specific cases that are entirely irrelevent to Arteta/Arsenal.

As for the rest of the case, I think you're trying to rationalise things that just aren't that rational. At the end of the day, "It's Barcelona" does matter. Like a handful of other clubs, whether you like it or not, they have crazy pull - which obviously doesn't mean they can get anyone under any circumstances (Pep wouldn't go there because he's done it already and he's probably earning insane under the table amounts of money, which no club could align themselves on, for ex), but that doesn't apply to Arteta.

GoonerBear

Supports
Arsenal
Very specific cases that are entirely irrelevent to Arteta/Arsenal.

As for the rest of the case, I think you're trying to rationalise things that just aren't that rational. At the end of the day, "It's Barcelona" does matter. Like a handful of other clubs, whether you like it or not, they have crazy pull - which obviously doesn't mean they can get anyone under any circumstances (Pep wouldn't go there because he's done it already and he's probably earning insane under the table amounts of money, which no club could align themselves on, for ex), but that doesn't apply to Arteta.
Football isn’t black and white like that though. I mean, the biggest club in the world Real Madrid tried for Wenger a couple of times but he didn’t go.

A manager in a job will weigh everything up before deciding if he wants to leave a job to go to another club, and just because 1 club is traditionally bigger, doesn’t mean that move would defo happen. I mean it’s not like Barca have manage to lure the biggest names in management to manage them in the recent past.

Anyway, seems it’s fake news, from the horses mouth.

https://x.com/fabrizioromano/status/1751966792207966274?s=46