Mikel Arteta | Lego Pep watch

Fridge chutney

Well, if that coping mechanism works for you, pretending that our cross-city rivals and their results don’t exist, then good for you.
It's probably less annoying when City win it. I live overseas and know a grand total of 0 City fans. Also, their trophies and success are heavily and publically scrutinized. 115 has become a meme at this point. Kinda detracts from their "achievements".

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
No they won’t. No one makes 115 charges if at least some won’t stick! And as for proper teams, Arsenal and Liverpool can just feck off. Their fans are insufferable! City’s achievements will always be tainted.
Personally I don’t know any Arsenal fans. But I know a few city and there all gobshite. They could overtake our CL titles in 4 years straight.

wr8_utd

:'(
Hate the guy as much as anybody else but the knee-jerk reactions to when they lose are a bit hilarious :lol: He might not be as good as Pep or Klopp (who really is?) but he clearly is a Top Tier coach and despite the huge amounts of money he's spent, he's done a great job at Arsenal.

Jev

It's probably less annoying when City win it. I live overseas and know a grand total of 0 City fans. Also, their trophies and success are heavily and publically scrutinized. 115 has become a meme at this point. Kinda detracts from their "achievements".
It will never make sense to me why a football fan would want an artificial club, that also happens to be our cross-city rivals, which has bought its success with money it didn’t earn, to win over a proper football club that has done a hugely impressive job in bridging the gap to the newly rich clubs, and done it the right way with young players and really attractive football.

Dec9003

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
I mean ten hag has only had one full season so that's a weird stat to use..
More a point that Arteta has failed to have tangible success outside of his first season, despite any perceived progress.

Zen86

115 charges that there gonna get found not guilty of may I add. I’d rather a proper team of won the title… city bang on favourites for another treble now which will make them the best ever English side.
They’re already the best ever side. With the best ever fans and the best ever manager and best ever players.

Dec9003

They came 8th twice and are in the conversation for the title this late in the season.
I think we'd all be delighted for that to happen with us any time this next few years!
I wouldn’t be delighted with coming 8th back to back, then 5th.

TheGame

Personally I don’t know any Arsenal fans. But I know a few city and there all gobshite. They could overtake our CL titles in 4 years straight.
Yeah City fans are cnuts as well. They seem the best team at the moment but their wins will be tainted. They’ve been lucky this season so hopefully teams can improve for next season.

Fridge chutney

It will never make sense to me why a football fan would want an artificial club, that also happens to be our cross-city rivals, which has bought its success with money it didn’t earn, to win over a proper football club that has done a hugely impressive job in bridging the gap to the newly rich clubs, and done it the right way with young players and really attractive football.
Ideally yes, justice wins out. But in the world of football tribalism (which is inherently irrational), wanting everyone to lose if you can't win makes sense.

Dec9003

Have a look at the state of our squad back in those years. It is even worse than your squad now.
Yeah Arsenal have spent well. In our position with the amount we spend though I still wouldn’t be delighted with those results.

Enigma_87

You know who
Hate the guy as much as anybody else but the knee-jerk reactions to when they lose are a bit hilarious :lol: He might not be as good as Pep or Klopp (who really is?) but he clearly is a Top Tier coach and despite the huge amounts of money he's spent, he's done a great job at Arsenal.
Great job? Close to billion spent - 1 FA cup for 5 years …

GoonerGirly

Supports
Arsenal
Yeah Arsenal have spent well. In our position with the amount we spend though I still wouldn’t be delighted with those results.
It's very hard to compete with 115 Charges FC. In fact, it's looking to be near impossible. Klopp and Arteta are the only managers in recent years to get anywhere near Pep and Klopp only bettered him once. Arteta is still a very young and inexperienced manager, and I think Arsenal fans knew that we gambled going with him.

GoonerGirly

Supports
Arsenal
Don't ruin the narrative that he's worked wonders on limited money.
When has that ever been the narrative? Maybe you're thinking of Wenger.
He literally overhauled our squad, made big (and correct) calls to get rid of aging and problematic players. He has spent a lot, but has overall spent well.

mathrait

Supports
Arsenal
I still believe if emery was given the backing he got, Arsenal would have won a European trophy by now
If he had the insane money Arteta has had, yes, he would have won something by now.
He spent 220 mn pounds in 1 season, gave us a humiliating Europa cup final defeat and had us sitting 10th in the table when he got sacked.

This is typical Cafe knee jerk reaction. Remember when the Cafe were suggesting we sack Arteta and replace him with Potter in 2021? :lol:

wr8_utd

:'(
Great job? Close to billion spent - 1 FA cup for 5 years …
Tbf, its one of the hardest things to compete with City and Arsenal have done it very well twice now. And of course, they have spent a shit ton of money but so does everyone else these days. Atleast Arsenal fans are seeing some returns on their money and a team with some sort of ideology and almost consistently good football.

AshRK

He literally overhauled our squad, made big (and correct) calls to get rid of aging and problematic players. He has spent a lot, but has overall spent well.
Well Ultimately you have to show success, otherwise what's the point. It's no longer 2020 where arteta can give the underdog excuse. You lot have spent good amount of money and your manager has been managing arsenal for a long time so it is but natural to judge accordingly.

Again, no one is saying he is a bad manager or should be sacked but the amount of hype he has received from the media, I just don't see the return so far.

Robbie Boy

It just seems to be conveniently ignored that he's actually spent a feck tonne of money. So far, he has 1 FA Cup to show for it, after what, 4 and a half seasons.

AshRK

He spent 220 mn pounds in 1 season, gave us a humiliating Europa cup final defeat and had us sitting 10th in the table when he got sacked.

This is typical Cafe knee jerk reaction. Remember when the Cafe were suggesting we sack Arteta and replace him with Potter in 2021? :lol:
Well just because you don't agree with something doesn't mean it is not true.

Robbie Boy

Surviving two consecutive 8th place finishes was quite something. And nah, I've never bought into the Potter hype.

GoonerGirly

Supports
Arsenal
Well Ultimately you have to show success, otherwise what's the point. It's no longer 2020 where arteta can give the underdog excuse. You lot have spent good amount of money and your manager has been managing arsenal for a long time so it is but natural to judge accordingly.

Again, no one is saying he is a bad manager or should be sacked but the amount of hype he has received from the media, I just don't see the return so far.
I don't disagree but I think you're understating how near impossible it is to BETTER this City side and their cheating. 2-3 years ago when we were mid-table, I would never have expected us to be in QF of CL and being in title races 2 seasons running. He has continued to improve us season upon season. For me, that's a pretty good return so far, and he's got credit in the bank.

Enigma_87

You know who
Tbf, its one of the hardest things to compete with City and Arsenal have done it very well twice now. And of course, they have spent a shit ton of money but so does everyone else these days. Atleast Arsenal fans are seeing some returns on their money and a team with some sort of ideology and almost consistently good football.
So that’s one 2nd place trophy and this year is yet to play out but seems they are on the slide again.

the guy they replaced with Arteta took a villa side in relegation zone to Europe and looks lock on for CL football this year, schooling Arteta’s Arsenal team couple of times on the way… That’s a success for me, not second place finishes ala Brendan Rodgers.

Leverkusen just became champions over coming 11 years of Bayern domination with a squad that is probably worth 1/10 of what Bayern are spending. The difference is one actually did it the other is mounting a challenge .

Rightnr

Wants players fined for winning away.
Certified fraud just for playing that pretend defender Zinchenko

GoonerGirly

Supports
Arsenal
It just seems to be conveniently ignored that he's actually spent a feck tonne of money. So far, he has 1 FA Cup to show for it, after what, 4 and a half seasons.
No one is ignoring that but mate, I am still traumatised by the last couple of years of Wenger and Emery eras. Trust me, this is much, much better.
Again, it is feeling like it's just about impossible to better Pep and City. At the moment, just competing with them and being back at the table of CL, is something I could barely imagine a couple of seasons ago.

GoonerGirly

Supports
Arsenal
Leverkusen just became champions over coming 11 years of Bayern domination with a squad that is probably worth 1/10 of what Bayern are spending. The difference is one actually did it the other is mounting a challenge .
The difference is one is having to do it against the best manager ever and what's shaping up to be the best team ever in club football. I doubt very much anyone spending 1/10 of what City is spending can get anywhere near them in the PL. Bundesliga is trash, hence why you get one team winning it for over a decade straight.

Robbie Boy

No one is ignoring that but mate, I am still traumatised by the last couple of years of Wenger and Emery eras. Trust me, this is much, much better.
Again, it is feeling like it's just about impossible to better Pep and City. At the moment, just competing with them and being back at the table of CL, is something I could barely imagine a couple of seasons ago.
But it absolutely is ignored by the wider media. He's obviously a good manager but the nauseating hype around a manager with 1 FA Cup in 4 and a half seasons, is pretty wild.

AshRK

I don't disagree but I think you're understating how near impossible it is to BETTER this City side and their cheating. 2-3 years ago when we were mid-table, I would never have expected us to be in QF of CL and being in title races 2 seasons running. He has continued to improve us season upon season. For me, that's a pretty good return so far, and he's got credit in the bank.
But what's the end goal here. Ultimately he has to get you the big one. Otherwise you are saying basically you guys are happy with him getting the results that past it wenger from 2010 to 2016 used to get.

GoonerGirly

Supports
Arsenal
But what's the end goal here. Ultimately he has to get you the big one. Otherwise you are saying basically you guys are happy with him getting the results that past it wenger from 2010 to 2016 used to get.
Eventually, yes. But I don't feel (and I don't think Arsenal fans do in general) like we're at that tipping point with him. Nowhere near it.
For me, the first 1-2 seasons he needed to rebuild the squad. Now he's done that, and we're competing again at the top level. Hopefully silverware (other than FA Cup) is coming.

Enigma_87

You know who
The difference is one is having to do it against the best manager ever and what's shaping up to be the best team ever in club football. I doubt very much anyone spending 1/10 of what City is spending can get anywhere near them in the PL. Bundesliga is trash, hence why you get one team winning it for over a decade straight.
Well Cholo did it twice competing with Ancelotti and Zidane’s Real and competing with Messi led Barca.

Lego Pep went out with a whimper against Olympiacos, Sporting and Villarreal in Europe.

You are usually out at the stroke of New Year in all domestic cups competing with a team playing on 4 fronts( it still has the best team, of course).

I always prefer silverware to second place finishes as those bottled titles are not fond memories after time.

VivaJesperBlomqvist

And also with that same said cross-city rivals beating our three in a row record. It’s a travesty.

Last edited:

GoonerGirly

Supports
Arsenal
Well Cholo did it twice competing with Ancelotti and Zidane’s Real and competing with Messi led Barca.

Lego Pep went out with a whimper against Olympiacos, Sporting and Villarreal in Europe.

You are usually out at the stroke of New Year in all domestic cups competing with a team playing on 4 fronts( it still has the best team, of course).

I always prefer silverware to second place finishes as those bottled titles are not fond memories after time.
If he wins nothing more than his FA Cup in another 2-3 seasons, maybe I'll start agreeing with you. But for now, he has transformed us and taken us back to competing at the top level. I'm enjoying this, that's fine if you feel he should have delivered more by now. Personally I think the game is different now with City and the standards are much, much higher than they were previously.

Gabriel Djemba-Bebe

No City team has come close to being the best ever. They don't even make the top 3 teams of my lifetime. As for the 'best manager ever', maybe stick to peddling that shit on Twitter and other fan forums, but not on here.

Acheron

Supports
Real Madrid
If he wins nothing more than his FA Cup in another 2-3 seasons, maybe I'll start agreeing with you. But for now, he has transformed us and taken us back to competing at the top level. I'm enjoying this, that's fine if you feel he should have delivered more by now. Personally I think the game is different now with City and the standards are much, much higher than they were previously.
I wasn't aware Arteta was so disliked in here. :lol:

If I was an Arsenal fan I think I would be cool with him currently, even if it feels bad to lose the lead in the league. He's still a young and rookie manager and it should be very evident how much Arsenal has progressed with him. He's still competing in the UCL while also challenging for the league while also playing some attractive football. I think at this point him and his team are just lacking experience which at this point is something understandable.