Mikel Arteta | Lego Pep watch

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
Him and Ole both seem to be consistently average but then manage to pull off a big result against a big club/top manager and it’s forgotten.

Eddy_JukeZ

One of the most overrated managers ever.

He's in the same boat as Lampard and Ole. All 3 aren't good enough and top 4 managers at best.

mu4c_20le

Him and Ole both seem to be consistently average but then manage to pull off a big result against a big club/top manager and it’s forgotten.
How can he be even mentioned in the same breath as Ole? Besides us, big results against Molde and the mighty Dundalk don't count.

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!

He's in the same boat as Lampard and Ole. All 3 aren't good enough and top 4 managers at best.
Two of them finished top 4 so that assertion is inaccurate.

Whether they last is another question

Rossa

How come people on here reckon he’s a better coach/manager than Solakjær? Football is boring as hell, and they are certainly not more consistent

Dirty Schwein

Has a 'Best of Britney Spears' album
Supports
Luton Town

To be fair to Lampard, he managed to clinch champions League spot during a transfer ban and losing the teams best player (Hazard). This season started with a hiccup (which is understandable considering how many players they got in) but they're starting to look decent as soon as he got Mendy in to replace Kepa, which was a great decision.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
How can he be even mentioned in the same breath as Ole? Besides us, big results against Molde and the mighty Dundalk don't count.
won the Fa cup beating Chelsea and beat Liverpool and City last season too. He has some big results.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Some have mentioned it about Solskjaer in various threads on here and I’d assume it rings true for Arteta — basically, whilst both are tactically not at the level necessary, they seem to retain full support of the players, which seems to be why motivation levels in the biggest matches are never in question.

RORY65

He clearly came in with the plan to tighten Arsenal up but in doing so he's made them incredibly uninspired going forward, it doesn't give them much margin for error because if they concede first they're in trouble. The comparisons to Solskjaer hold some water not just in terms of their lack of experience at this level but also in that they've mostly excelled when able to sit deeper and exploit spaces rather than trying to get a team to play on the front foot, it's partially why they've both done well in cup competitions but they've both got a lot of work to show that they can be more than that which is needed if you want to get anywhere near the top 2 over a season (admittedly Arsenal are further away because of the quality of their squad than we are and should be).

LS17

He's at least won something with them which is more than what Ole has done with us.
Why does everything have to involve Ole? Why does he have to be judged against him and nothing else? Get a grip.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
He's still very young at 38 years old for a head-coach. But it seems like Villa did what we didn't last week and approached the game positively in a proactive manner.

lysglimt

Scout
One thing is losing to Villa - another thing is being completely played off the park by Villa. They could have won by 5

Eddy_JukeZ

Two of them finished top 4 so that assertion is inaccurate.

Whether they last is another question
Which is why I said top 4 at best.

The best Arteta could achieve is also top 4 to me.

You aren't challenging for the league with any of the 3 managers.

PoTMS

Which is why I said top 4 at best.

The best Arteta could achieve is also top 4 to me.

You aren't challenging for the league with any of the 3 managers.
The best thing I can say about all three is they will all leave the next manager with a solid platform to build from. The problem is United and Arsenal won't pull the trigger when required after things naturally plateau, Chelsea will.

smi11ie

Not a philogynist
Supports
Rangers
He was a sideways passer player and he is a sideways passer coach. Hate how he treated Ozil. Hate his stubbly expressionless face. I hope he fails, followed by Lamps and then obviously Klopp. If I was a top player there is no way in hell I would play for Arteta.

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
It’s still amazing to me that he got the job, having never been a head coach before. At least Ole and Lampard had some experience. He basically got the job on the strength of being within earshot of Pep during his half time team talks.

Lentwood

If I was an Arsenal fan I would look at this season the way I (as a Utd fan) looked at Ole last season.

The squad is fundamentally very average. Odd bit of talent but mainly not-good-enough’s, liabilities on higher wages, young and inexperienced players and a real deart of any sort of depth.

I expect they will get some good results as they set up very defensively and press well. You don’t need great players to do that, kind of like how Ole didn’t need great players to sit deep and counter last season vs better sides.

The challenges will be versus the lesser lights. They will need to open up to try to score a goal but then the old vulnerabilities will reappear. Bottom line, you can talk about “coaching” but the only way to significantly improve that side is to sign and/or develop better players

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
They probably have the 8th best side/squad on paper...
Yeah you'd say likes of Leicester and Spurs have better attacking units than Arsenal, Chelsea aswell of course so that would be 6th at best so they're then trying to do better than Everton and Man. United which is more of a close call given the wildly inconsistant performances from all three on a weekly basis.