Mikel Arteta | Lego Pep watch

Wiltord02

Supports
Arsenal
Isn't your money depending on getting in Europe tho?
We would definitely have more money to spend if we were getting regular champions league football. Pre covid though, the premier league money and gate receipts were enough for Kroenke to let the club run itself. The point is that we need serious investment by the owner to get us back to a top four position. By appointing Arteta, I think he showed the level of ambition he has for the club.

prateik

Reminds me of the Rodgers quote
“It is great for the public here at Sunderland to see us. They must have been wondering what this team everyone is talking about are all about and now they have seen. We were wonderful."
Swansea had just lost 2-0 to Sunderland
Except Rodgers is actually a good manager who does have all his teams playing good football.

Ed9

We would definitely have more money to spend if we were getting regular champions league football. Pre covid though, the premier league money and gate receipts were enough for Kroenke to let the club run itself. The point is that we need serious investment by the owner to get us back to a top four position. By appointing Arteta, I think he showed the level of ambition he has for the club.
So basically until Kroenke leaves you're not gonna challenge again. That must be sad for a fan used to Wenger times.

Wiltord02

Supports
Arsenal
So basically until Kroenke leaves you're not gonna challenge again. That must be sad for a fan used to Wenger times.
Pretty much. The running of the club has been a shambles since 2015. Wenger masked alot of the problems, but also created many in his last few years.

His replacements in Emery and Arteta haven't been good enough. The only reason Arteta still has a job is the consistent lowering of standards at the football club. We have already lost ten games this season, the same as the entirety of last season. His post match reactions are almost delusional, saying we dominated games and had all the possession. On many occasions, the opposition deliberately let us have the ball because we are so bad in the final third. The purple patch starting with the win against a poor Chelsea side really needs to be put into context. We faced a lifeless Chelsea, a terrible West Brom, edged an awful game vs Brighton and battered a truly terrible Newcastle team.

AshRK

The best thing he has done apart from winning the FA cup is convince everyone that Arsenal are a midtable quality club and deserve to be 10th. I will keep on saying this they may not have a top 4 level of players but they are much better side than 10th.

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir

Having the ball = dominated the game apparently. Reality is that Arsenal had two shots on target, Benfica had twice as many.

Shows how much Arsenal have fallen when they're claiming that pathetic performance was some sort of masterclass. That has become a common feature under Arteta. Play shit, claim you dominated the game, blame the refs and call your opponent lucky. Pure delusion.

GoonerBear

Supports
Arsenal

Having the ball = dominated the game apparently. Reality is that Arsenal had two shots on target, Benfica had twice as many.

Shows how much Arsenal have fallen when they're claiming that pathetic performance was some sort of masterclass. That has become a common feature under Arteta. Play shit, claim you dominated the game, blame the refs and call your opponent lucky. Pure delusion.
Auba did miss a sitter & a couple of other golden chances.

NieThePiet

Supports
Werder Bremen, Arsenal

Then you should have watched the game instead of reading statistics about shots.

Auba's 100% chance wasn't a shot on target, so it wasn't a good chance? Besides it he had another 2 very good chances.

Leno had to make one real save from a shot outside the box and the unlucky pen. It wasn't about having the ball.

AshRK

Their standards have been dropping since he took over. 10th placed and yet some of their fans are giving him a free pass.

Samid

Their standards have been dropping since he took over. 10th placed and yet some of their fans are giving him a free pass.
Yup. The comments from their fans above are laughable. “But but we had golden chances”

xG shows 1-1 was more than fair result:

This is called having golden chances:

NinjaFletch

Yup. The comments from their fans above are laughable. “But but we had golden chances”

That includes the penalty that Arsenal absolutely gifted them (and for my money severely undervalues the chance Auba missed). Arsenal were tumescent and are a pretty dreadful watch, but they were comfortable, well on top and only have themselves to blame for not taking a 2-0 lead back with them.

GoonerBear

Supports
Arsenal

So you don't think this is a golden chance? It's an absolute sitter!

It seems to me as if you guys are a bit giddy rightly after a very good away result, & thought it a good time to have a dig, at what actually isn't a bad result ironically. I'll be honest, I'm still not sure folk watched the game & are still just going off stats.

The holy trinity 68

The disparager
Auba did miss a sitter & a couple of other golden chances.
Then you should have watched the game instead of reading statistics about shots.

Auba's 100% chance wasn't a shot on target, so it wasn't a good chance? Besides it he had another 2 very good chances.

Leno had to make one real save from a shot outside the box and the unlucky pen. It wasn't about having the ball.
So you don't think this is a golden chance? It's an absolute sitter!

It seems to me as if you guys are a bit giddy rightly after a very good away result, & thought it a good time to have a dig, at what actually isn't a bad result ironically. I'll be honest, I'm still not sure folk watched the game & are still just going off stats.
@Samid You both literally just proved his point, the excuses are constant for Arteta and this possession/dominating games crap. If Arsenal were dominating games they would be doing better than they actually are, the fact is Arteta and Arsenal are both really poor and a far cry from even the Wenger team when everyone was screaming for Wenger to be sacked.

GoonerBear

Supports
Arsenal
@Samid You both literally just proved his point, the excuses are constant for Arteta and this possession/dominating games crap. If Arsenal were dominating games they would be doing better than they actually are, the fact is Arteta and Arsenal are both really poor and a far cry from even the Wenger team when everyone was screaming for Wenger to be sacked.
The original quote is actually from Saka, not Arteta. And he would be quite right to have that opinion in a game where he probably feels he should have done much better with his chance to get another goal, & where he's watched his team mate miss 3 chances that he'd normally tuck away.

Don't get me wrong, I didn't think we were great yesterday, but I just found it a strange point / time to have a dig at, considering 1-1 in an 'away' game in Europe isn't a bad result.
Of course, the comments didn't come after Utd laboured to a 1-1 at WBA & we put 4 past Leeds at the weekend.

Arsenal fans in general recognise this is a team in transition. Our 3 behind Auba are Saka at 19, Smith-Rowe at 20, and Odegaard at 22 who was just making his 2nd start.

The reason Arsenal fans are more patient with Arteta (again in general, because some do want him out), is that they can see signs of progress from that horrible couple of months earlier in the season. If you want to look at stats, we are actually 2nd in the form table since the introduction of Smith-Rowe for the Chelsea game.

I've said multiple times that managers deserve more time, I'm not a fan of sacking managers after the first period of poor results, & its why I think Ole deserved time & backing, & you guys are seeing benefit of that now. If your going to have the balls to hire a 'rookie manager' & talk about a project, have the balls to see it through is my opinion.

I'll judge him more harshly next season, because with all the outgoings & incomings that's happening, that's when I expect to see closer to his team, although even then given the ages of the likes of Saka, Smith-Rowe, Martinelli, Gabriel, Saliba I still expect it to be a work in progress.

Last edited:

Pagh Wraith

People laughed when I said before the season that Arsenal's ceiling is 60 points. Actually, there has been a minimal improvement, for the first time in three years they have a net positive shot ratio (by the slightest of margins). Which just shows you the level they are at, top 8 at best. They need to get their recruitment right and can't afford any more abysmal transfer windows like the had last summer.

GoonerBear

Supports
Arsenal
People laughed when I said before the season that Arsenal's ceiling is 60 points. Actually, there has been a minimal improvement, for the first time in three years they have a net positive shot ratio (by the slightest of margins). Which just shows you the level they are at, top 8 at best. They need to get their recruitment right and can't afford any more abysmal transfer windows like the had last summer.
I totally agree we need to get our recruitment right this summer to step up. However, I don't think last summers window was abysmal, we spent 'big' on 2 players (Partey & Gabriel), & both those look good when they are fit. Of the other signings only Willian has massively disappointed, the rest are fulfilling their roles as squad players.

I still think with a fair wind & how crazy this season is we can sneak top 6, but we'd need a bit of luck & to cut out stupid mistakes like Luiz vs Wolves or Cedric vs Villa.

AshRK

Zero efforts. Seemed he was more happy to lose 1-0 than being thrashed. Shocking and embarrassing performance. Pretty sure some arsenal fans will take this result in a positive way.

SuperiorXI

Zero efforts. Seemed he was more happy to lose 1-0 than being thrashed. Shocking and embarrassing performance. Pretty sure some arsenal fans will take this result in a positive way.
1 shot on target BBC says and 10% less possession than City.

Can't be happy with that even at a small mid-table club like Arsenal.

AshRK

1 shot on target BBC says and 10% less possession than City.

Can't be happy with that even at a small mid-table club like Arsenal.
Arteta has successfully convinced majority that this squad is mid table level. His honeymoon period is long over and for a club like Arsenal to be in this position is shocking. He is just lowering their standard.

SuperiorXI

Arteta has successfully convinced majority that this squad is mid table level. His honeymoon period is long over and for a club like Arsenal to be in this position is shocking. He is just lowering their standard.
To be fair their so-called standard has been lowering for over 15 years now.

el3mel

It's. They shouldn't be around 9th and 10th though, they should be around 6th or 7th. They'll never achieve anything higher than that though.

Arsenal is the new Everton.

rotherham_red

Reminds me of me when I was defending LvG

MayosNoun

Supports
Chelsea
Yet again, happy with the 1-0 loss.

What an absolute coward he is.

dbs235

To be fair their so-called standard has been lowering for over 15 years now.
I honestly think it's mental that a club like Arsenal can be this low in the tabe all season and everyone seems to think its normal and there's still people who think Arteta is doing a good job somehow.

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
I honestly think it's mental that a club like Arsenal can be this low in the tabe all season and everyone seems to think its normal and there's still people who think Arteta is doing a good job somehow.
Football especially in this country isn't about who's good at their job anymore, it's about who's popular. Emery was hounded out for a lot lot less than this, not that I'm complaining.

There's a reason City are leaving everyone else for dust and that is because they're the only club in this country where everyone involved in the club from top to bottom actually act like a big club.

The others are too easily accepting of mediocrity.

GoonerBear

Supports
Arsenal
I defend Arteta on here all the time but I certainly wasn't happy at the performance. I don't know if I put the blame on Arteta, I know he changed things up with the Benfica return game in mind, but I can't believe how scared guys like Bellerin are when the play City. You can almost see the fear in 1 or 2 of their faces. Think that's quite pathetic really.

SinNombre

Arteta has gotten both his players and the fans to think they are unlucky to drop points every time.

The others are too easily accepting of mediocrity.
Your lot don't accept mediocrity which is why Lampard got sacked. Need someone as a DoF though to build the team long-term.

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
Arteta has gotten both his players and the fans to think they are unlucky to drop points every time.

Your lot don't accept mediocrity which is why Lampard got sacked. Need someone as a DoF though to build the team long-term.
We maybe ruthless with managers but we're not with players. Rudiger, Willian, Alonso prime examples of average players getting long stints with us.

rron10

Supports
Sir Alex
I think Pep sabotaged his career from the start, he only taught him a quarter of what he knows hence his style and results.

Samid

Fair play, he has changed around the mentality. They would have lost this game a few months ago.