Mikel Arteta | Lego Pep watch

Giggs' right foot

Fair play, he has changed around the mentality. They would have lost this game a few months ago.
At this stage last season they had 37 points. They've then went and got Partey, Ødegaard on loan, and Willian and is now on 38 points. Do. Not. Question. This. Man's. Genius.

Guy Incognito

Arteta has gotten both his players and the fans to think they are unlucky to drop points every time.

Your lot don't accept mediocrity which is why Lampard got sacked. Need someone as a DoF though to build the team long-term.
Which is what Wenger did, but even he could cobble an attack together and their league points tally wasn't mediocre.

Arteta persisting with Xhaka and Luiz (players who are known for errors) shows why Arsenal won't make any progress any time soon.

Sweet Square

Still kinda of crazy that he is still in the job.

A part from winning the FA Cup last season there's been nothing to say Arsenal are in anyway improving.

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
Still kinda of crazy that he is still in the job.

A part from winning the FA Cup last season there's been nothing to say Arsenal are in anyway improving.
Pep bottled it and Lampard is probably at Arteta's level but had a better team.

I wonder how Arteta would do with a top 4 side because the defence of him seems to be that Arsenal are shit. But just how shit are they that his performance is considered ok?

GoonerBear

Supports
Arsenal
Which is what Wenger did, but even he could cobble an attack together and their league points tally wasn't mediocre.

Arteta persisting with Xhaka and Luiz (players who are known for errors) shows why Arsenal won't make any progress any time soon.
Yep, like you say, drastic individual errors have really cost him. When you think Luiz vs Wolves, Xhaka today, Soares vs Villa, & the sending offs, then things good look a good bit different.

So I agree, if Luiz & Xhaka get significant game time next season that continues to cost points, then yes, it is on Arteta!

Hansi Fick

Supports
FC Bayern
I don't get it. 10th place after two thirds of the season, 2 games played more than the 9th place team which is Villa. How is this failing amateur and nobody still in the job? What the hell is going on at that club? Where's the board? What's up with the fans?

Sweet Square

Pep bottled it and Lampard is probably at Arteta's level but had a better team.

I wonder how Arteta would do with a top 4 side because the defence of him seems to be that Arsenal are shit. But just how shit are they that his performance is considered ok?
Yeah that does seem to be his saving grace. Although is a team with Saka, Aubameyang and Pepe really only the 10th best team in the PL ? The thing thats surprised me is just how god awful is his style of football is. It's not like they are playing a ton of exciting football but also letting in a lots of goals or just simply getting bullied by more physical teams(Which was the case with Wenger), it seems if Arteta reaches his full potential(Whatever that means)it will looks far close to current David Moyles than Wenger or Pep.

Whats the point of ''trusting the process'' when the end goal will mostly likely be a hard working side that fights for top 4.

Also I guess another reason he is still in the job is that given the state of this Arsenal team and a pretty disinterested board, can the club really attract a top manager ? Would some one like Nagelsmann or Allegeri go near a club like Arsenal ?

GoonerBear

Supports
Arsenal
If things were different, then things would be different.
Of course, and that's the same with anyone. I'm just saying that of you continue to persist with players that are known for individual errors quite commonly, then the manager is at fault for that.

GoonerBear

Supports
Arsenal
Yeah that does seem to be his saving grace. Although is a team with Saka, Aubameyang and Pepe really only the 10th best team in the PL ? The thing thats surprised me is just how god awful is his style of football is. It's not like they are playing a ton of exciting football but also letting in a lots of goals or just simply getting bullied by more physical teams(Which was the case with Wenger), it seems if Arteta reaches his full potential(Whatever that means)it will looks far close to current David Moyles than Wenger or Pep.

Whats the point of ''trusting the process'' when the end goal will mostly likely be a hard working side that fights for top 4.

Also I guess another reason he is still in the job is that given the state of this Arsenal team and a pretty disinterested board, can the club really attract a top manager ? Would some one like Nagelsmann or Allegeri go near a club like Arsenal ?
Have you actually watched us recently, or are you just basing that on a lazy assumption from earlier in in the season?

Sweet Square

Have you actually watched us recently, or are you just basing that on a lazy assumption from earlier in in the season?
You were pretty decent in parts against Benfica and Leicester, plus today Pep should have scored today but add in the drab loses against Wolves and Villa. It's not very inspiring for the future imo. Would you say you're football is currently better than West Ham or Everton ?

Maybe it's my bad for expecting his football to look like a poor mans pep.

Last edited:

AshRK

I don't get it. 10th place after two thirds of the season, 2 games played more than the 9th place team which is Villa. How is this failing amateur and nobody still in the job? What the hell is going on at that club? Where's the board? What's up with the fans?
That's called lowering of standards. I don't want to say he is a bad manager but he definitely is doing a bad job here and gets a lot of excuses. He has managed to convince everyone that Arsenal have a shit squad when in fact they are not that bad to be 10th placed. His style of football is nothing great either but gets benefit of doubt because pep loves him. I am happy arsenal are not sacking him and I hope he stays longer and keeps them like this.

Hansi Fick

Supports
FC Bayern
That's called lowering of standards. I don't want to say he is a bad manager but he definitely is doing a bad job here and gets a lot of excuses. He has managed to convince everyone that Arsenal have a shit squad when in fact they are not that bad to be 10th placed. His style of football is nothing great either but gets benefit of doubt because pep loves him. I am happy arsenal are not sacking him and I hope he stays longer and keeps them like this.
It's a very expensive squad too.
If they don't sack a coach in this situation, it means they have become a midtable club. It makes me sad, actually, as I have a soft spot for Arsenal.

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
It's a very expensive squad too.
If they don't sack a coach in this situation, it means they have become a midtable club. It makes me sad, actually, as I have a soft spot for Arsenal.
They've been a midtable club for ages. Don't let the top 6 moniker distract you. It starts with the board, who are content with doing... Nothing. There's no point of hiring Allegri if you won't back him.

And if Arteta is in the same position after 1 season, then yeah sack him.

Hansi Fick

Supports
FC Bayern
They've been a midtable club for ages. Don't let the top 6 moniker distract you. It starts with the board, who are content with doing... Nothing. There's no point of hiring Allegri if you won't back him.

And if Arteta is in the same position after 1 season, then yeah sack him.
It is already Arteta's second season. I have to remind myself of that, too.

Bergkamp10

Supports
Arsenal
I don't get it. 10th place after two thirds of the season, 2 games played
more than the 9th place team which is Villa. How is this failing amateur and nobody still in the job? What the hell is going on at that club? Where's the board? What's up with the fans?
I think looking at the table and the results paints a worst picture for him. We performed well enough to earn a win today, but he’s often been let down by silly mistakes by individual players. Xhaka is a great case. His form has been good but is always culpable to an error that ends up screwing us. But we currently don’t have many alternatives and the board haven’t allowed that in terms of a big enough budget.

we’ve got plenty of players that ‘aren’t up to it’ but they’re not through Arteta’s faults.

Pagh Wraith

Looking at their performance metrics (nevermind results) over the last three seasons, they absolutely are. Under both Emery and Arteta. Though the drop even from Wenger's last season is quite significant.

GoonerBear

Supports
Arsenal
You were pretty decent in parts against Benfica and Leicester, plus today Pep should have scored today but add in the drab loses against Wolves and Villa. It's not very inspiring for the future imo. Would you say you're football is currently better than West Ham or Everton ?

Maybe it's my bad for expecting his football to look like a poor mans pep.
Since he tweaked the system & played with a 10 & Saka wide right, we've scored 3 vs Chelsea, 4 vs West Brom, 3 vs Newcastle, 3 vs Southampton, 4 vs Leeds, 3 vs Benfica, 3 vs Leicester & should have scored 3 today. Sure, we weren't great in a few games, vs the like of Palace & Villa, but we are playing better (minus the mistakes).

Hansi Fick

Supports
FC Bayern
I think looking at the table and the results paints a worst picture for him. We performed well enough to earn a win today, but he’s often been let down by silly mistakes by individual players. Xhaka is a great case. His form has been good but is always culpable to an error that ends up screwing us. But we currently don’t have many alternatives and the board haven’t allowed that in terms of a big enough budget.

we’ve got plenty of players that ‘aren’t up to it’ but they’re not through Arteta’s faults.
Looking at the table is how you find out how good a team is.

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir

Way to boost a morale just before a derby, hanging your captain out to dry. Elite level management.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley

Way to boost a morale just before a derby, hanging your captain out to dry. Elite level management.
Wasn't there something about him breaking lockdown rules? But that was a week or so ago so bit weird if that's it now

jus2nang

Supports
Arsenal
Wasn't there something about him breaking lockdown rules? But that was a week or so ago so bit weird if that's it now
He was late, caught in traffic in Muswell Hill. He probably didn't need to anniunce it to the world.

Tony247

Probably forgot to compliment Arteta on his looks on their whatsapp group.

Jaxa

I think he is deserving of a new contract to ward off Barca after the great work he is doing,

He might even get them in to the top 8 at this rate

GoonerBear

Supports
Arsenal
I think he is deserving of a new contract to ward off Barca after the great work he is doing,

He might even get them in to the top 8 at this rate
In all seriousness, I'm hoping we aim for top 6, I think we can still do it.

Hansi Fick

Supports
FC Bayern
Just because Mourinho is an infinitely worse manager at this point is not a great positive argument for Arteta.

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout
He was late, caught in traffic in Muswell Hill. He probably didn't need to anniunce it to the world.
Christ, Maguire went on a drunken rampage, beat up a load of cops and went to jail and got nothing but support from Man United.

You don't drop your captain if he gets stuck in a traffic jam, surely!

Grinner

Not fat gutted. Hirsuteness of shoulders TBD.
Staff
Supports
Arsenal
Christ, Maguire went on a drunken rampage, beat up a load of cops and went to jail and got nothing but support from Man United.

You don't drop your captain if he gets stuck in a traffic jam, surely!

We probably don't know the full story.

Jaxa

In all seriousness, I'm hoping we aim for top 6, I think we can still do it.
It's pretty mental at how tight even top 6 is this year, 6 teams fighting for two spots, wouldn't you prefer to have a year our of Europa ? I know you always want to see your team in europe of course but I think in the long term it will benefit Arsenal especially after what will be a brutal schedule witn the euros this year, player fatigue next season will play a massive part and I feel teams outside of europe will have that added bonus of longer rest period.

GoonerBear

Supports
Arsenal
Certainly doable, but you'll be playing musical chairs with Spurs, Everton, West Ham, and Liverpool for 5th and 6th.
Yeah, it will be tight & would mean us having to maintain our ok form. We play West Ham this weekend so that will tell us if it's realistic, still got Liverpool & Everton to play at home as well.

It's pretty mental at how tight even top 6 is this year, 6 teams fighting for two spots, wouldn't you prefer to have a year our of Europa ? I know you always want to see your team in europe of course but I think in the long term it will benefit Arsenal especially after what will be a brutal schedule witn the euros this year, player fatigue next season will play a massive part and I feel teams outside of europe will have that added bonus of longer rest period.
The Europa question is really a difficult 1. On one hand, it would probably do us good, not to be in the usual Thursday cycle of recent year's & all that travelling. Like you say, rest weeks after a congested season with a summer tournament plus an AFCON scheduled mid season could be advantageous.

On the other hand, not getting Europa League could affect our budget a bit in the summer, & we are already struggling finance wise. I quite like the early stages for playing fringe & young players as well & getting them some game time. I certainly wouldn't lose any sleep if we don't make it from a playing perspective, put it that way.

Last edited: