Mikel Arteta | Lego Pep watch

The Corinthian

I will not take Mad Winger's name in vain
Supports
A Free Palestine
What says it all is your seemingly unhealthy obsession with a team and manager you regard, unconvincingly as of no serious threat to Man Utd.
Says the insecure Arsenal fan on a United forum.

ThierryFabregas

Supports
Arsenal
A fair amount of people were fine to let Wenger to because he'd stagnated right below the top 4. Emery lost a lot of support once he botched getting 4th in his first season. And now under Arteta, the narrative is "no, you need years to get to 4th." Surely you can see the double standard.
This is the thing it isn't a double standard. Wenger took a top 4 team to 5th and then 6th. Emery then took the team that finished 6th to mid table in 8th place and conceeding 30 shots a game against Watford of all teams. Arteta then maintained 8th place over 18 months and I did wanted him sacked for that. But from some time in December 2020 onwards to the summer Arsenal performed as the 4th best team in the league IIRC. He currently has his side in 4th with 3 games that look easy on paper to win coming up, which could see our points get a big boost.

During this period Arsenal have lost 4 of our best players of the past decade in Alexis Sanchez, Ozil, Santi Cazorla and Ramsey while replacing them with dross. Our best players currently are Saka, Smith Rowe and Odegaard. These aren't elite players when you consider the players we have lost. Aubameyang is also well past his prime now, so another problem.

maniak

Supports
Arsenal
Easier to say that now but look at how many Arsenal fans wanted him gone at various points
I still want him gone. It's not about winning here and there, which I know in the end is the most important thing, but I just don't see the team growing under him. Sure, some terrible players have been replaced by decent ones, but that's it, that's where the improvement is coming from, not from Arteta in my view.

Topgun1

Lewandowski lover
Supports
Arsenal
With all these postponements and match cancellations, if the season ends like this then we secure top 4.

Stop the count! Bring out the safety car. Where's the PL version of Michael Masi to rig the season in our favour?

GoonerBear

Supports
Arsenal
Half way point in the season, 35 points. On par for the target I set for him to show an improvement this season.

Pretzels81

Not Salty…
People will still make fun of him, but the evidence is there: Arteta's Arsenal has taken off. Where to? I don't know, probably Top4.

awop

Odds winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
Supports
Arsenal
With Wolves being postponed, we have a week to prepare for City. Don't think it will make much of a difference, we're going to need to get results against Spurs, West Ham and United while winning the rest if we want to stand a chance. As well as it is going right now I still think we'll be a bit short and finish 6th.
Spurs dodging Europe games with Conte giving them a lift will be tough to beat.

RedPed

Whatabouter.
Arsenal fans getting gassed because they beat two seriously depleted teams, a League One side and the PL bottom feeders. Yeah it's better to have the points on the board but they've also played more games than the clubs around them. Understandable why they are hated so much.

chiz2kul

Arsenal fans getting gassed because they beat two seriously depleted teams, a League One side and the PL bottom feeders. Yeah it's better to have the points on the board but they've also played more games than the clubs around them. Understandable why they are hated so much.
this is silly. They won games they are expected to win. Isn't that worth celebrating? Why the hate?

chiz2kul

the amount of vitriol that Arteta gets from folks on here truly is embarrassing. It's actually a bit weird.

Maluco

Last Man Standing 3 champion 2019/20
He is putting together a very likeable team, which I am sure the Arsenal supporters are thrilled about after years of difficult personalities and issues.

His signings all look really solid and are committed to the cause and the young players are interesting talents.

I just wonder if they lack those very top players to challenge for the top 4, the real proven commodities. They don’t really have any top players in that bracket.

But the supporters must be loving a teamsheet with Saka, ESR, Odegaard, Tomiyasu and Ramsdale on it, instead of having to wonder about Leno, Bellerin, Kolasinac, Auba and Pepe every game.

The team has a nice aesthetic to it and are really quite likeable compared to what they had in the past, but probably lacking that real quality and experience to challenge the big boys over 90 minutes.

monosierra

the amount of vitriol that Arteta gets from folks on here truly is embarrassing. It's actually a bit weird.
Envy, perhaps, from seeing a former player turned manager enjoy some degree of success when our OGS experiment ended in his firing.

Che Guevara

Supports
Celtic
It's just personal dislike for the guy, nothing to do with his performance or qualities as a manager, except that his results are clearly annoying some folks.

Last edited:

maniak

Supports
Arsenal
:lol:

AussieDevil

Envy, perhaps, from seeing a former player turned manager enjoy some degree of success when our OGS experiment ended in his firing.
Our former player who finished 2nd? And 3rd? But they’re celebrating being in 4th and only due to having played more games then the other contending sides.

What is there to be envy of?

pratyush_utd

Can't tell DeGea and Onana apart.
:lol: What success? Top 4 at new year because they played more games than teams below them? Beat a team 5-0 once?

He had few good results. Thats about it. We went unbeaten away under Ole for a full year. And finished 2nd.

Lets wait and see where he end up at the end of the season before making him a success.

Matst1

He is putting together a very likeable team, which I am sure the Arsenal supporters are thrilled about after years of difficult personalities and issues.

His signings all look really solid and are committed to the cause and the young players are interesting talents.

I just wonder if they lack those very top players to challenge for the top 4, the real proven commodities. They don’t really have any top players in that bracket.

But the supporters must be loving a teamsheet with Saka, ESR, Odegaard, Tomiyasu and Ramsdale on it, instead of having to wonder about Leno, Bellerin, Kolasinac, Auba and Pepe every game.

The team has a nice aesthetic to it and are really quite likeable compared to what they had in the past, but probably lacking that real quality and experience to challenge the big boys over 90 minutes.
Likable team? They’ve got some good players but it’s arsenal. What’s there to like?

Jippy

Sleeps with tramps, bangs jacuzzis, dirty shoes
Staff
With all these postponements and match cancellations, if the season ends like this then we secure top 4.

Stop the count! Bring out the safety car. Where's the PL version of Michael Masi to rig the season in our favour?
:lol:With the way the fixture list is piling up as games keep getting postponed, I'd certainly far rather have those points in the bag.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
Arsenal’s results?

Assuming Spurs and United win their games in hand they’re ahead of Arsenal in the league table. After both clubs sacked their managers because of terrible results in the league up until now.
That is fair in regards to Spurs but not United. Getting into the EL would be a good season for Arsenal. Getting 4th would be a great season. They bought a lot of young talents and their squad is relatively young. For them as long as they’re progressing on their 8th of last year it bodes well for Arteta. I still feel he is similar to Ole and he will hit a cliff where he can’t take them any further but for now I don’t see why they’d get rid of him.

4th for United would be a poor season.

ThierryHenry

wishes he could watch Arsenal games with KM
The opposition has obviously been poor but we’ve genuinely turned a corner over the past month. For the first time in Arteta’s reign we have a team that has a balanced attack with clear attacking patterns that can consistently create chances.

Obviously we won’t keep scoring this many goals, but compared to the tumescent slog we’ve seen for most of the last eighteen months, it’s hugely encouraging.

I didn’t think he was up to the job, but he’s proved to be; 1) An excellent talent spotter, 2) A good defensive manager. If this attack can continue to develop, then I think he’s had a great season and will deserve another year, hopefully with another big investment up front.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Well what do you know. Turns out Auba was the problem all along!

trims

Supports
Arsenal
We played West Ham as well who we comfortably beat.

Tottenham's 3 games in hand are all away where they've been poor, while United need to win all their games in hand to go above us. Would definitely take our points on the board.

Reactions: oates

GoonerBear

Supports
Arsenal
That is fair in regards to Spurs but not United. Getting into the EL would be a good season for Arsenal. Getting 4th would be a great season. They bought a lot of young talents and their squad is relatively young. For them as long as they’re progressing on their 8th of last year it bodes well for Arteta. I still feel he is similar to Ole and he will hit a cliff where he can’t take them any further but for now I don’t see why they’d get rid of him.

4th for United would be a poor season.
Exactly. I've read numerous times that we are only ahead because the other teams have games in hand, & both those other teams have sacked their managers & can be round about us points wise as a way to have a go at us.

Well, first these teams still have to win these games, & for the second point, it doesn't take into account any context whatsoever. It can be summed up quickly in a few words, progression vs regression vs expectation. (in the context of where they were). It's not rocket science.

Last edited:

Greyfog

Supports
Enugu Rangers
Arsenal fans celebrating being in the Top 4 and Man Utd fans countering with having finished 2nd and 3rd.

Started following the EPL from around 1998 and these two teams were the top dawgs..
Who would have thought that those periods of dominance will lead to this.