Mikel Arteta | Lego Pep watch

Josep Dowling

Young hungry squad, playing some great football and solid defensively. They look by far the best team in the league so far. You can say easy opponents but other big teams have struggled against said easy opponents. He’s lowered the wage bill all the whilst doing this. Credit where it’s due to Arteta.
Lowered the wage bill whilst also spending more than any other club in the league?

BurgerVan

Supports
Arsenal
Wow, Utd fans are bullish again all of a sudden. Welcome back.

Personally I haven't seen an Arsenal fan who thinks we are going to win the league, as we clearly are not. Sorry that we are happy for winning our games. Arteta takes a hammering on here from most, but I saw a stat that over the past 38 games we have collected 27 points more than the biggest club in the world, so he is doing something right.

Long way to go.

rajds89

Wow, Utd fans are bullish again all of a sudden. Welcome back.

Personally I haven't seen an Arsenal fan who thinks we are going to win the league, as we clearly are not. Sorry that we are happy for winning our games. Arteta takes a hammering on here from most, but I saw a stat that over the past 38 games we have collected 27 points more than the biggest club in the world, so he is doing something right.

Long way to go.
Most probably because that performance/result against Liverpool was better than anything we've seen from Arsenal this season. If, and I agree to it being a big IF.. if we keep to that level of performance for the rest of the season we'll absolutely be in the fight for the top four.

Nish115

Supports
Arsenal
Most probably because that performance/result against Liverpool was better than anything we've seen from Arsenal this season. If, and I agree to it being a big IF.. if we keep to that level of performance for the rest of the season we'll absolutely be in the fight for the top four.
People talk about Arsenal getting carried away, and then you mention that.

You were absolutely awful in your first two games, and yes you did very well against a half cooked Liverpool, but there is absolutely no indication you'll keep that up for the rest of the season.

You can only beat what is ahead of you though, and it's very early so let's see how it pans out...

rajds89

People talk about Arsenal getting carried away, and then you mention that.

You were absolutely awful in your first two games, and yes you did very well against a half cooked Liverpool, but there is absolutely no indication you'll keep that up for the rest of the season.

You can only beat what is ahead of you though, and it's very early so let's see how it pans out...
Yes, we were pathetic in our opening two games.. no denying that but the Liverpool game, the players have set the standard going forward now. Anything less than that and they’ll rightly come in for criticism. You mention the fact Liverpool we’re half cooked but I could counter that with you beating nothing but mid table, relegation fodder.. the real test will come when the European campaign begins.

Nish115

Supports
Arsenal
Yes, we were pathetic in our opening two games.. no denying that but the Liverpool game, the players have set the standard going forward now. Anything less than that and they’ll rightly come in for criticism. You mention the fact Liverpool we’re half cooked but I could counter that with you beating nothing but mid table, relegation fodder.. the real test will come when the European campaign begins.
We'll see how you guys do at Palace away :)

BurgerVan

Supports
Arsenal
beating nothing but mid table, relegation fodder..
Yes, but you get beat by mid table, relegation fodder.

I am sure you will definitely beat Leicester and Palace then (you got 1 point last season from those fixtures btw), come the end of the season you will be able to count on one hand the number of teams that win at Selhurst Park.

There is a reason we have gathered 27 more points than you in the last 38 games.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
I find it weird that Chelsea, Arsenal, City, Spurs and Liverpool can do transfer business with each other but arguably none will do any transfers with United.

They really must hate us.

Dec9003

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Yes, but you get beat by mid table, relegation fodder.

I am sure you will definitely beat Leicester and Palace then (you got 1 point last season from those fixtures btw), come the end of the season you will be able to count on one hand the number of teams that win at Selhurst Park.

There is a reason we have gathered 27 more points than you in the last 38 games.
Gathering 27 more points than a United side that gave up for half a season isn’t impressive. :lol:
I hope for Arsenal fans’ sake they win something this season, it’ll be better to boast about a trophy than being a better team than United whilst missing out on top4 to their local rivals.

GoonerBear

Supports
Arsenal
I find it weird that Chelsea, Arsenal, City, Spurs and Liverpool can do transfer business with each other but arguably none will do any transfers with United.

They really must hate us.
It's a strange take. Have you even tried to buy any players from those teams? Sanchez, Mkhitaryan, Welbeck, Mata, Matic in the not too distant past I can remember transfers between those type of clubs.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
It's a strange take. Have you even tried to buy any players from those teams? Sanchez, Mkhitaryan, Welbeck, Mata, Matic in the not too distant past I can remember transfers between those type of clubs.
I guess that’s true but it’s almost when one clubs knows that the other is making a false move that it happens.

Every transfer you mentioned was a flop or disappointment.

Jesus at City is a different level isn’t it?

GoonerBear

Supports
Arsenal
I guess that’s true but it’s almost when one clubs knows that the other is making a false move that it happens.

Every transfer you mentioned was a flop or disappointment.

Jesus at City is a different level isn’t it?
Yeah, true. Thinking about it, we had only really bought from yourselves and Chelsea before this summer I think out those teams the past 10-15 years or so.

And when you look at the names we've had, Gallas, Diarra, Silvestre, Welbeck, Cech, Mkhitaryan, Luiz, Willian, we've done pretty poorly out it.

Il Prete Rosso

Prete, the Italian Pete
Lowered the wage bill whilst also spending more than any other club in the league?
It's economics. They had a lot of mediocre players on high wages which they needed to get rid of. That would mean their operating costs would be high and it would be difficult to buy the players needed AND pay them. That process takes time but I think what Arteta was trying to do over the past 3 years is very difficult in modern football, given the fact that there's a lot of impatience with club ownership and fans to get things right (all while maintaining results). It's easier to spend when you know that you're not actually wasting money.

Jordan_mufc

Tottenham were top of the league this time last season. I think the moment Arsenal play one of City / Liverpool / Tottenham / Chelsea / Us (?), they'll get a pasting

ThierryHenry14

Supports
Arsenal
Tottenham were top of the league this time last season. I think the moment Arsenal play one of City / Liverpool / Tottenham / Chelsea / Us (?), they'll get a pasting
Probably will lost every game against top 6 just like last season, but it doesn't matter much for the 4th place trophy. It is the games verse the mid and lower table teams matter. Last season it was the lost to Southampton, Brighton and Newcastle in the end of the season cost Arsenal the CL spot. Consistency is the key as always. At the moment we still lack squad depth. No cover for winger and CM.

That process takes time but I think what Arteta was trying to do over the past 3 years is very difficult in modern football, given the fact that there's a lot of impatience with club ownership and fans to get things right (all while maintaining results). It's easier to spend when you know that you're not actually wasting money.
Credit to Josh and also the good work of Edu to have everyone in management on the same page. Most of the time the coach will be sack after finished 8th 2 season in a row.

Last edited:

GoonerGirly

Supports
Arsenal
The league is about beating the teams you’re expected to (which is say 14 teams) not just showing up against the best teams. In recent seasons we’ve had poor results against top teams for the most part, but it’s the points dropped against supposedly lesser sides that have really cost us.
Just to put it into some perspective about how well we’ve started so far - we haven’t won our first 3 games since the 2004/05 season (just after the Invincible season). This kind of start is very out of character for us.

ThierryHenry14

Supports
Arsenal
can't ask for a better start for the season. Now see if Edu can bring in a winger before the end of the transfer window.

RacingClub

Supports
Racing Club
The good news is you won't have to wait long to find that out because they will be in Old Trafford next Sunday.

GunnerUK

Supports
Arsenal
The good news is you won't have to wait long to find that out because they will be in Old Trafford next Sunday.
was saying this today. Regardless of Manchester Utd’s form away at Old Trafford next week is a MASSIVE test for this Arsenal side. If we beat Aston Villa and pull off a win here I’d be Ecstatic.

ThierryHenry14

Supports
Arsenal
A win against Aston Villa is way more important. Old Trafford away is a difficult game.

njred

HALA MADRID!
Supports
Liverpool
Best start Arsenal in 18-19 yrs right? No one can blame them for being all giddy and hopeful. Imagine the giddiness if another team just back from the dead had this many points right now.

GoonerInPeace

Supports
Arsenal
United
Arsenal have shown consistency. Palace and Fulham both dented Liverpool. Both are teams that need to be taken serious if you want the three points. I knew going into the game it would be tough especially with Mitrovic who is a sensational player. If any teams come in for him Fulham would have the right to ask for a massive fee north of 50m, guy is still only 27.

As for a top 4 fight. Its not a question of whether Arsenal will be fighting for 4th. We will be. However I also think Arteta is aiming as high as possible, rather than setting a defined target. If you aim for 1st and finish 10 points of the pace when top 4 is more a less assured.

Arteta ambition and abilities as a manager are underrated

GoonerInPeace

Supports
Arsenal
Saka either needs rest or competition. He needs to work on his decision making during 1v1 situations.

Apparently he has played in our last 45 or so leage games straight. He clearly does need a rest. Nketiah was likel when he came on. No reason we cant go Martinelli on the left, jesus right and Nketiah upfront. Or even play ESR on the right.

Arteta does need to start rotating the front three. Martinelli, Saka, Jesus is our best line up. But ESR and Nketiah, needs to be involved more

ThierryHenry14

Supports
Arsenal
Best start Arsenal in 18-19 yrs right? No one can blame them for being all giddy and hopeful. Imagine the giddiness if another team just back from the dead had this many points right now.
The good start did give me hope for the 4th spot this season, but it is a long season with World Cup in winter, and there are many games left to play.

Okey

He needs the trophies to back it up, yes, but it's hard to watch Arsenal right now and not be mighty impressed by the job lego Pep is doing. Might just be a proper elite coach in the making. That said, hoping we smash them next weekend!

GoonerInPeace

Supports
Arsenal
The good start did give me hope for the 4th spot this season, but it is a long season with World Cup in winter, and there are many games left to play.
yeah but thats true for everyone. Other fans are also saying our midweek games will hurt us. But all the top 6 have midweek games to play?

Why would the world cup and midweek games hurt us, and not other teams?

ThierryHenry14

Supports
Arsenal
yeah but thats true for everyone. Other fans are also saying our midweek games will hurt us. But all the top 6 have midweek games to play?

Why would the world cup and midweek games hurt us, and not other teams?
because our squad depth is not as good as others?

GoonerInPeace

Supports
Arsenal
because our squad depth is not as good as others?
I disagree.

On paper we can name two teams

Ramsdale, Tomiyasu, Saliba, Gabriel, Zinchenko, Partey, Xhaka, Odegaard, Martinelli, Saka, Jesus

Turner, Cedric, White, Holding, Tierney, Elneny, ASL, Fabio Vieira, ESR, Marqinous, Nketiah.

is a cliche to say we lack depth

tinfish

Supports
Arsenal
I disagree.

On paper we can name two teams

Ramsdale, Tomiyasu, Saliba, Gabriel, Zinchenko, Partey, Xhaka, Odegaard, Martinelli, Saka, Jesus

Turner, Cedric, White, Holding, Tierney, Elneny, ASL, Fabio Vieira, ESR, Marqinous, Nketiah.

is a cliche to say we lack depth
Our depth is bad. Most Arsenal fans will agree we need a CM and a Winger at least.

The replacements are a step down, Elneny should not be starting a game already in GW4.

Any injury to either one of Partey, Saka, Ramsdale could derail us just like last season. I'm pretty sure we will get a winger in, but I'm concerned at the lack of coemption for Partey.

GoonerBear

Supports
Arsenal
It doesn't seem to matter if Utd are on a massive winning streak or are struggling big time, we always tend to struggle at Old Trafford.