Mikel Arteta | Lego Pep watch

Donaldo

Caf Vigilante
Supports
Arsenal
Saka either needs rest or competition. He needs to work on his decision making during 1v1 situations.
I think it's the number of games he's played catching up with him a bit. Opposition defenders suss wingers out pretty quickly in this league and with Tomi not around as a smarter attacking support Saka's suffered a bit alone.

JSArsenal

This is fun, BBC and Sky are talking up our potential title winning credentials, not in a serious way but good to be talked about in those terms. There's no way we can beat City for the title, they're breaking the rules in the same way that Spartak London did all those years ago. Hard to compete with that kind of spending. Unless the Qatar World Cup throws a lot of clubs for a loop and we can sneak in there somewhere.

Il Prete Rosso

Prete, the Italian Pete
He needs the trophies to back it up, yes, but it's hard to watch Arsenal right now and not be mighty impressed by the job lego Pep is doing. Might just be a proper elite coach in the making. That said, hoping we smash them next weekend!
I miss the rivalry. It was the only 2 games to look forward to in the Premier League back then.

Rooney in Paris

Gerrard shirt..Anfield? You'll Never Live it Down
Scout
Arteta ambition and abilities as a manager are underrated
There's nothing underrated about Arteta, come on. He's been put on a pedestal by the media since he very first took the job, and has shown very little to back it up so far. Of course this season might change that, but he absolutely isn't "underrated".
because our squad depth is not as good as others?
That and the fact your squad spent last season with a different rhythm, i.e. no European football, the transition, the traveling, might lead to the team needing a little bit of an adjustment.

gaffs

Arteta is doing a great job. Taken a few years, but looks like he has built a good team with a real spirit and playing football that makes their fans happy.
I know you don't get to see everything, but I was impressed with him on the Amazon doc. Came across much better than dour Mourinho.

The game this weekend will be very interesting. Arsenal are obviously further into their process than we are.

Cascarino

Magnum Poopus
Supports
Swansea
There's nothing underrated about Arteta, come on. He's been put on a pedestal by the media since he very first took the job, and has shown very little to back it up so far. Of course this season might change that, but he absolutely isn't "underrated"
He's definitely been underrated on this forum

Dominos

Arteta is doing a great job. Taken a few years, but looks like he has built a good team with a real spirit and playing football that makes their fans happy.
I know you don't get to see everything, but I was impressed with him on the Amazon doc. Came across much better than dour Mourinho.

The game this weekend will be very interesting. Arsenal are obviously further into their process than we are.
If 8th and 5th (with no European football) are "great" then I dread to think what they'd look like if they had a bad season.

Arsenal may start to show some serious progress this year, but until they do he's shown very little to deserve the sort of praise he gets.

ThierryHenry14

Supports
Arsenal
It is a united forum so everyone else is underrated here. Pep and Klopp are exemption only because of their winning record. For Arteta, he only needs his boss Josh to rate him, and get the support from Arsenal fans. The amazon documentary seems work well to get the fans on board with the club.

Ancelotti was "pass it" too when he was with Everton according to redcafe, of course he is back to "GREAT" now after he won the CL with real madrid.

gaffs

If 8th and 5th (with no European football) are "great" then I dread to think what they'd look like if they had a bad season.

Arsenal may start to show some serious progress this year, but until they do he's shown very little to deserve the sort of praise he gets.
Consider how strong the teams are in the top 4 and the quality and experience of each of their managers, and the amount spent on the team that finished 11 points behind in 6th.

Had it not been for injuries to Partey, Tierney and Tomiyasu, they probably would have made top 4.

Arsenal are progressing year on year under Arteta. He has assembled a good, young squad and they are pay less than half what United do on salaries.

They may still not make top 5 this year, but I do think they will earn more points than they did last year. Which is what Arteta has done the last 3 seasons (56 > 61 > 69).

Rooney in Paris

Scout
Just because you have a massive man crush on him doesn't mean that people being unimpressed with consecutive 8th place finishes and a 5th when most teams went into self destruct and they had 4th within their grasp is underrating him. Again, he has so far very little to show for. We'll see if it changes this season, as it's the one where he should really be pushing on.

Rooney in Paris

Scout
Ancelotti was "pass it" too when he was with Everton according to redcafe, of course he is back to "GREAT" now after he won the CL with real madrid.
This really doesn't mean anything, except for scoring imaginary points in your mind. Redcafe isn't a sentient being, it's made up of hundreds of posters with differing views.

Cascarino

Magnum Poopus
Supports
Swansea
Just because you have a massive man crush on him doesn't mean that people being unimpressed with consecutive 8th place finishes and a 5th when most teams went into self destruct and they had 4th within their grasp is underrating him. Again, he has so far very little to show for. We'll see if it changes this season, as it's the one where he should really be pushing on.
Ok

Last edited:

Thunderhead

Supports
City
Excellent start, looking forward to Sunday's game against United to see if they can continue this run of form

Nish115

Supports
Arsenal
Excellent start, looking forward to Sunday's game against United to see if they can continue this run of form
Will be good although we'll likely have Partey and Odegaard out and Zinchenko 50/50 which is a pain.

Fridge chutney

We are about as many games into our rebuild under ETH as Arteta is years into his rebuild at Arsenal. Arsenal should win comfortable

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
I think it will be a good game but I've a feeling we'll sneak it. Not sure Jesus will have much luck if Varane and Martinez are fit and playing well again. Odegaard being injured would be a big boost for us too.

ThierryHenry14

Supports
Arsenal
The upcoming game against Everton and Brentford games are just as "important" as the Utd and Spurs game. it is just 3 points per game after all.

Dominos

Consider how strong the teams are in the top 4 and the quality and experience of each of their managers, and the amount spent on the team that finished 11 points behind in 6th.

Had it not been for injuries to Partey, Tierney and Tomiyasu, they probably would have made top 4.

Arsenal are progressing year on year under Arteta. He has assembled a good, young squad and they are pay less than half what United do on salaries.

They may still not make top 5 this year, but I do think they will earn more points than they did last year. Which is what Arteta has done the last 3 seasons (56 > 61 > 69).
Ole was making progress in terms of points and league position. Until he wasn't.

The issue with Ole is he wasn't actually achieving anything beyond turning us from a shit team to a less shit team while spending a fortune in the transfer window. Which kind of describes Arteta's time at Arsenal thus far, except he's not actually managed to get a top 4 finish yet whereas Ole got two.

Now Arteta may carry Arsenal's upward trajectory for years to come in which case we will give him huge credit, but until he actually achieves that I'd hold off on suggesting he's doing a "great" job.

SportingCP96

emotional range of a teaspoon
Supports
Sporting Clube de Portugal
I said it in pre season, great moves and a nice young team. They looked much better.

Happy for them and hope they can keep it up.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
Underrated how? Arsenal have finished what 8th, 8th and 5th under him? 5th when we were at our absolute worst in my lifetime and Spurs weren't much better. To add to that he's spent millions in the transfer window unlike Arsenal managers before him.

Wiltord02

Supports
Arsenal
Playing well but squad depth looking a huge issue. We needed another midfielder before the Partey/Elneny injuries. Probably need a couple now with the Europa League starting soon...

Cascarino

Magnum Poopus
Supports
Swansea
Underrated how? Arsenal have finished what 8th, 8th and 5th under him? 5th when we were at our absolute worst in my lifetime and Spurs weren't much better. To add to that he's spent millions in the transfer window unlike Arsenal managers before him.
Ok

Nish115

Supports
Arsenal
If you can't see the progress you're either blind or just have some agenda. It's ridiculous, but each to their own.

Dominos

Playing well but squad depth looking a huge issue. We needed another midfielder before the Partey/Elneny injuries. Probably need a couple now with the Europa League starting soon...
I'm banking on Europa being the death of Arsenal this season - they had no European football last season so it's a big change.

It depends on how Arteta treats it though, if he rests his first 11 for league games at all costs then he will reap the benefits in the league.

No one will truly give a shit about a poor showing in the Europa as long as you get top 4, and you still have 2 domestic trophies to go for to satisfy the trophy itch. The same goes for United, I'd rather we prioritise the league games.

The Corinthian

I will not take Mad Winger's name in vain
Supports
A Free Palestine
Congratulations to Arsenal on winning the league.

Oh what do you mean there’s another 33 games?

Il Prete Rosso

Prete, the Italian Pete
He was tasked with basically creating a brand new squad along with getting rid of players that weren't needed. That process takes time and money. Stop with this short-sighted nonsense.

NoPace

I'm banking on Europa being the death of Arsenal this season - they had no European football last season so it's a big change.

It depends on how Arteta treats it though, if he rests his first 11 for league games at all costs then he will reap the benefits in the league.

No one will truly give a shit about a poor showing in the Europa as long as you get top 4, and you still have 2 domestic trophies to go for to satisfy the trophy itch. The same goes for United, I'd rather we prioritise the league games.
Yeah, they should probably tank Europe and prioritize clinching top 4 and getting in the CL and go for everything next year. They might get through the group stage anyways with guys like Nketiah, Smith-Rowe, Vieira, Lokomba and Holding leading them, that's not any worse at team than PSV or Bodo will throw out.

GoonerInPeace

Supports
Arsenal
Arteta isnt like Ole, Lampard, Gerrard or any other former player fast-tracked given their playing affiliation.

Meme him all you want. But the guy is a serious manager with active involvement. Even when United finished 2nd under Ole, I always felt Ole was along for the ride rather than driving the ship.

Arteta has laid the groundwork and is building from the bottom up

The_Midfielder

I think it will be a good game but I've a feeling we'll sneak it. Not sure Jesus will have much luck if Varane and Martinez are fit and playing well again. Odegaard being injured would be a big boost for us too.
Casemiro header will win it for us

Fridge chutney

Arteta isnt like Ole, Lampard, Gerrard or any other former player fast-tracked given their playing affiliation.

Meme him all you want. But the guy is a serious manager with active involvement. Even when United finished 2nd under Ole, I always felt Ole was along for the ride rather than driving the ship.

It's easy to downplay what Ole achieved while Arteta is enjoying a good run of results. But Ole made the CL twice, something Arteta has never done. Ole also went on excellent runs of results.

Lost bear

Never liked the arse myself, but you have to admit that he’s done a good job so far with their rebuild. The media is sooo up them, but I guess that’s not really his fault.
God, this trying to be fair business is one hell of an effort, eh?

Real Name

Won't happen and I don't particularly like them but it would be good if they won it cause it would stop City winning the league 3 times in a for.
That's of course if we can't do it.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Credit to him, he has done good job. 5 wins in 5 is superb record no matter who the opponents are.

Anyways all that matters is how they finish. Will be interesting to see if they can finish in top 4 this season.

GoonerBear

Supports
Arsenal
Congratulations to Arsenal on winning the league.

Oh what do you mean there’s another 33 games?
It's only you guys on here saying stuff like this. I've not seen any Arsenal fan on here say anything remotely like this and if you offered any in here scraping 4th by goal difference, they'd probably take it

As for the weekends game, I've said before I expect is to struggle at Old Trafford, as we always tend to do. If Partey, Elneny, Odegaard & Zinchenko are out, that makes our our job harder, the midfield starts to look weak, its not an excuse, it's our fault because we have been crying out for at least 1 more midfielder and it doesn't look like that's been addressed, so that's a major flaw.