Gaming Minecraft | New caf 1.18 SMP server SIGN UP?

Walrus

Oppressed White Male
I died in lava and lost my diamond pick and the 30 odd obsidian I had mined -.-

Then I tried to build a water elevator next to the jetty and it didn't work.

Not a good night in the end

Walrus

Oppressed White Male
A banned caftard called MrMantis has been playing on there with me recently - he said to say hi to everyone, from Obstacle.

jveezy

Fo' shizzle
Finding some coal near spawn is impossible! I've built a crappy little shack by the lake to keep me going until I get some decent supplies
I've pretty much stopped searching for coal on my server. We're using it up much faster than we're finding it at this point due to the fact that the caves under our home are mostly milked dry.

I've found it much more time effective to use the sapling + bonemeal method to get a bunch of wood and subsequently charcoal. Also if you can find birch trees, I think they grow in one day, so you might not even have to use bonemeal.

Urbanned

I've pretty much stopped searching for coal on my server. We're using it up much faster than we're finding it at this point due to the fact that the caves under our home are mostly milked dry.

I've found it much more time effective to use the sapling + bonemeal method to get a bunch of wood and subsequently charcoal. Also if you can find birch trees, I think they grow in one day, so you might not even have to use bonemeal.
Cheers for wthat Jveesy, I'll get started on it when I'm next on. I might trek around for a bit first to get some coal to start off with, then build an underground forest or something

Urbanned

You need light for the trees to grow. I'd do it above ground. Just level a forest and then replant the trees.
Could just bung in some torches I guess. I've managed to find some coal (luckily) after mining underground anyway, so I'm set for the short term. Going to collect loads of supplies and start building a mega base

nimic

something nice
Scout
I'd like to get back into Minecraft, and maybe the multiplayer server is a good way of doing it. Is there anything to stop people from stealing/griefing? I'd hate to build something big, and then have it all ruined.

Oh, and what are the settings? I haven't played Minecraft in a long while, not sure what is possible.

On the other hand, I guess the chances of actually finding any resources are pretty much terrible, so maybe I'll play single player instead.

jveezy

Fo' shizzle
I'd like to get back into Minecraft, and maybe the multiplayer server is a good way of doing it. Is there anything to stop people from stealing/griefing? I'd hate to build something big, and then have it all ruined.

Oh, and what are the settings? I haven't played Minecraft in a long while, not sure what is possible.

On the other hand, I guess the chances of actually finding any resources are pretty much terrible, so maybe I'll play single player instead.
Nothing to stop stealing other than hiding your stuff. Same thing with griefing, though the server admin can always ban you. If you have a gentlemen's agreement to not screw each other over, that's usually good enough. You're probably more likely to ruin someone's stuff by accidentally getting creepered near a building.

Finding resources isn't too hard at least for the most basic tools and weapons. Iron isn't as abundant as I would hope, but at least it's not completely rare. I don't even bother crafting diamond tools since I die fairly often.

Urbanned

You can always hide your chests somewhere that only you know, but there's not many ways to stop people griefing. Some servers have code where only you can destroy blocks that you put down, or only you can open your chests etc.

jveezy

Fo' shizzle
We did have a little mini war on the server I was on, though it was more of an act of war followed by a quick retaliation and truce than anything else.

Someone rigged our tree of life to blow up at the push of a button. One of our guys responded by rigging his lava garbage disposal to blow up causing a gigantic lava waterfall to come streaming out of his skyhouse. Touche to both sides. Virtual handshake. Resume normal course of business.

rcoobc

Not as crap as eferyone thinks
Incremental backups are the best way, combined with whitelists.

Anyway Im trying to build an arena, and I couldn't take any lava from the nether. I'm not sure if its because where I was talking it from corresponded with the protected part or the overworld, but it was confusing none the less.

And I have got us 80 more glowstone blocks for your road, they are in my storage room which is quite near Urbans base and my tree farm

voland

So far I've set a daily backup, and probably will be banning players if needed, but the way the vanilla server is working i pretty fine by me.

I wouldn't mind having the dynamic map that buckit and stuf has, but I can live without it.

Walrus

Oppressed White Male
Incremental backups are the best way, combined with whitelists.

Anyway Im trying to build an arena, and I couldn't take any lava from the nether. I'm not sure if its because where I was talking it from corresponded with the protected part or the overworld, but it was confusing none the less.

And I have got us 80 more glowstone blocks for your road, they are in my storage room which is quite near Urbans base and my tree farm
great effort with the glowstone :)

if you need lava just go down the rabbit hole.

Stemmy

I have an animal farm setup for food. Your free to grab but all I ask is that you breed what you kill to keep it stocked.

Did anyone see the new biome to come out in the next patch? Jungle? looks brilliant. Apparently Jeb said he might be adding jungle animals to it later on aswell.

Walrus

Oppressed White Male
we seem to have some proper thieves on this server. Its fair to say everyone is happy to share around a bit, and i have no problem with people taking stuff of mine if it is useful to them (and i do the same in return) but thats 52 obsidian someone has just taken out of my chest.

Now, obsidian only really has 2 uses - nether portal and enchanting table, the former of which we already have, and the latter which only requires a small amount. if you want to use one of the hardest to gather minerals in the game for random decorations then fair enough, but get it yourself(?)

or am i being unrealistic and petty here?

Stemmy

Not really, I find it a bit annoying to be honest and I havn't had something as valuable as obsidian taken from me here.

I wasn't on for 2 days after me and you took a trip down that rabbit hole and found stuff missing, mostly stuff I could replace relatively easily I suppose but it didn't half annoy me to be honest since I have no idea who it was.

Its gotten to the point where I have now hidden my most valuable stuff.:houllier:

Urbanned

You should always hide your most valuable stuff anyway, just to be on the safe side. I'm sorry to hear that we have theives on the server, I wonder who it is. Is there a way to check how many unique players we have just to make sure that only caftards are playing? Maybe set up a whitelist?

rcoobc

Lost 150 iron on a mining expedition, along with tools and an enchanted sword, ran back to find it and lost my enchanted pick.

Not a good night might have to take a few days break

jveezy

Fo' shizzle
That's exactly the reason why I pretty much stopped carrying anything of value. It's an even worse feeling when you're wasting your group's collective resources. I now only wear leather armor and gold boots (which are rigged to fly on my server). We have eight different /home locations we can use, so it's not too hard to get your stuff back after you die, but I've fallen in lava so many times that I refuse to wear iron armor. Also the reason why I tree farm instead of actively searching for coal.

Walrus

Oppressed White Male
lost a bunch more stuff dying in lava tonight. i swear the ground just gave way beneath me without me doing anything.

and ive stopped storing valuables like obsidian or diamond in my 2 chests in my house

Urbanned

lost a bunch more stuff dying in lava tonight. i swear the ground just gave way beneath me without me doing anything.

and ive stopped storing valuables like obsidian or diamond in my 2 chests in my house
You've had more stolen off you? I'd just hide it somewhere, under floorboards or behind a wall. It's such a shame that people can't just be trusted.

If you have the time/desire, there are ways to create redstone-powered locks for doors. You have to pull a set of levers in the right order to open the door. No idea how complicted/time-consuming they are to make though. Maybe you could do something like that?

jveezy

Fo' shizzle
If you have the time/desire, there are ways to create redstone-powered locks for doors. You have to pull a set of levers in the right order to open the door. No idea how complicted/time-consuming they are to make though. Maybe you could do something like that?
Then you could just take an axe/pickaxe to the walls to get through.

rcoobc

You'll have to make the server a bukkit server if things are getting stolen :(

Bukkit servers take ages to manage compared to vanilla, but on the plus side you can buy and sell land, sell and buy unwanted items, play war, go on quests, etc. You could keep it very vanilla (in that you have to work to get everything you have, you have to build everything you want to build, no teleportation etc), but make it so you can buy sell land, keep stuff safe, and buy items off each other..

Or wee can keep it how it is I don't mind (honestly I don't).

Walrus

Oppressed White Male
above_beyond and myself just finished construction of a large railway line. Vol, hope you dont mind but i used your rail start area on your house for mine as well - figured we could build it up as a little railway station or something.

Also, our next plan is to build up the top of the mountain as a massive mountain fortress, so i had better not come back tomorrow to it already being built up!

jveezy

Fo' shizzle
I don't know, shouldn't we ask to do an entrance quest? Like.. collect 64 x 64 bricks, bring 10 sheep to the houses .. ? ;)
Honestly that's not a terrible idea (though who am I to tell you what to do on a server that isn't mine). If one of the guys on my server had donated a chest full of cobble on arrival, we probably wouldn't have been so upset about him taking two chests worth to build a goddamn spaceship later.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
tell him that i MET my missus playing world of warcraft. it will blow his mind, the poor sod.
I tried telling him and he just rolled his eyes.

I don't think the World of Warcraft bit helped mind.

voland

above_beyond and myself just finished construction of a large railway line. Vol, hope you dont mind but i used your rail start area on your house for mine as well - figured we could build it up as a little railway station or something.

Also, our next plan is to build up the top of the mountain as a massive mountain fortress, so i had better not come back tomorrow to it already being built up!

It's fine, I was actually thinking of moving to the desert where the other railway line goes. It's becoming a bit tiny on space there and we have ALL the map for ourselves. So I'll start moving today/tomorrow

also, my current small house can make a nice central station I think :)