Gaming Minecraft | New caf 1.18 SMP server SIGN UP?

evil_geko

Anyone tried this?
Pretty much everyone is playing this now.

If you look beyond graphics, this is pretty amazing and fun game, got hooked for a week now!
Basically you have this huge world where you explore caves, mine bunch of materials that you combine and create lots and lots of stuff, build and so on, while trying to survive the nights that are full of all kind of monsters.

This guy has a long series about the game if you wanna check it out, watch a few videos.

This is amazing what this guy built:

Minecraft

Redcafe server name: redcafe.tanganaika.net (ip: 94.155.41.146)
The static isometric map, which is rendered once a day: http://redcafe.tanganaika.net
And the dynamic one: http://redcafe.tanganaika.net:8123/

WeasteDevil

I've actually been playing it quite a bit for the past month or so, it's very very good, but as you can see by the number of replies to your thread, if it's not a glossy marketed super high budget game, nobody is really interested.

evil_geko

I've actually been playing it quite a bit for the past month or so, it's very very good, but as you can see by the number of replies to your thread, if it's not a glossy marketed super high budget game, nobody is really interested.
Yeah, too bad it's all about the graphics today.

Brocky

After seeing this thread early this morning i....uhmm....'aquired' the game.

I've been playing (SP only) for about 3 hours on and off now. I have a decent cave set up and i'm about to build a house from stone but once that's done i can't really see what else there is to do.

I suppose i could attempt to build some kind of super structure like that Chichen Itza temple but i guess that'd get boring pretty quick. Is there more stuff that will be made available as i progress or am i bound to an eternity of re-making stone tools to build a bigger house?

Thoraximus

Latin for deep throat

I've been playing (SP only) for about 3 hours on and off now. I have a decent cave set up and i'm about to build a house from stone but once that's done i can't really see what else there is to do.

I suppose i could attempt to build some kind of super structure like that Chichen Itza temple but i guess that'd get boring pretty quick. Is there more stuff that will be made available as i progress or am i bound to an eternity of re-making stone tools to build a bigger house?
I'd quite like to know this.
I've made a house, with a garden, mineshaft going down into a lovely cavern, with an underwater lake.
More would be ace...more enemies, maybe if at night they might attack your house or something. I've heard valve are interested in this, so who knows!

Brocky

Well it seems to me that it's getting a multiplayer mode eventually, which will obviously make it much more interesting.
There is already MP i think.

Even so, as far as i can see up to now, it'd still be just a bunch of folk making tools to build a house and maybe having a fight with other folk and demolishing their house.

Or am i missing something / still early in the game?

Brocky

I'd quite like to know this.
I've made a house, with a garden, mineshaft going down into a lovely cavern, with an underwater lake.
More would be ace...more enemies, maybe if at night they might attack your house or something. I've heard valve are interested in this, so who knows!
An underwater lake! I wish i'd have thought of that! :smirk:

evil_geko

There is also alot more that you can build and build with, iron, red stone, gold, diamond and more, you just have to dig more and look, there is Minecraft wikipedia of what you can build, and this is only Alpha, there will be alot more weapons/tools/things to build and alot more monsters (Dragons, wolves etc..)

Brocky

Hmm, just been looking through Minecraft Forums and there is some pretty cool stuff on there.

I'm feeling a little more inspired now.

I think the latest version is 1.1.0. I only have 1.0.17 though so i'm guessing i'm missing a fair bit of stuff.

SmashedHombre

Memberus Anonymous & Legendus
Or more likely because no one has ever heard of it before.

Brocky

It looks interesting. But is there really that much to do in it?
Well the main emphasis is on mining and crafting, as one would imagine from the title, but from what i've read so far there are underground caverns to be found and explored where you can find rare treasures, huge waterfalls, lava flows, hoardes of monsters etc.

This gave me some inspiration and give you an idea of some of the content as you progress:- Some of the things you can construct.

These just speak for themselves.... :eek:

Anyone fancy trying to build OT? :D

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout
My Mario 25th birthday thread didn't get beyond 1 page of posts. I can only asume Manchester United fans don't know their arse from their elbows when it comes to decent computer games.

Us Chelsea fans have better taste. Maybe it's because we were educated the right way by some of the great players we've had in the past...

UBERScholes

I'd find it flattering if someone hard rubbed agai
Great stuff, this. Read an article about it and found it's 50% off at the moment, decided to buy it.

Still have a lot to learn but I already have my first fortress of death :smirk: Dug into a huge spire like mountain and have various ramparts linked by tunnels. I want to build around it somehow to make a huge watchtower type thing, and then link to a nearby volcano with a big stone bridge

Only problem though is I can't get into the fecker :( There's one bit where zombies and skeletons can climb the mountain, and it seems they're protected from sunlight whilst they're there. I wanted to get rid of them so I went to fend them off with my sword but I fell off the side of the mountain and died, now I have to prepare to dig myself back into my fortress, and there are feckloads of spiders camping it :( Bastards

UBERScholes

Hopelessly addicted :( Spent my whole day off yesterday playing it, couldn't sleep, thinking of Minecraft. Feckers.

Thoraximus

Latin for deep throat
Any of you bunch technically minded?
Got it working on my PC well enough, but when I try to run it on my Mac, it doesn't let me.
It says Loading (where it goes to update the client) and then the screen just stays black.
Thoughts?

UBERScholes

Any of you bunch technically minded?
Got it working on my PC well enough, but when I try to run it on my Mac, it doesn't let me.
It says Loading (where it goes to update the client) and then the screen just stays black.
Thoughts?
I ain't running it on Mac, but I had the same problem. Solution is to the find the gamedata (On PC it's in Roaming > .minecraft) and then delete the contents of the bin folder. This then forces the game to redownload those files on startup, which fixes the problems. Suppose it has issues applying new updates automatically so you have to force it to update like this.

Would guess it's the same for Mac

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
I'm becoming addicted to this :nervous:

First thing I built was a Chichen Itza style monument, I did one side of it then stopped. I think it'll stay that way. I have a 3 story house, with a mine and an orchard close by. My main project is a pit I've been digging just to see what I can find deep down. It's so deep I have to have checkpoints on the way down with supplies, just stumbled upon a cave full of lava, redstone and gold.

Ixion

Bunch of people at work are playing this, tried to get me to play but after watching them for a while I just didn't see the point.

Sold really well though, guy who made it has made a fortune already.

Alwyn

Got rid of his pee
My flatmate's addicted to this at the moment, I'm considering getting it.

Chabon

It's like a fecking virus, passed from player to player, destroying vast swathes of free time.

Awesome game mind, but don't do it man, just don't do it.

Alwyn

Got rid of his pee
:lol: I'm chasing a pig in the water.

I love this game.

Rahul

Holy mother of Minecraft. I don't play it but I remembered this thread. (Well, YouTube remembered that I remembered this thread.)
That is fecking ridiculous. This guy must have no life whatsoever. Pretty damn amazing though :smirk:

I've been trying out the free brower addition and it is quite addictive. Must stop now before it becomes a dangerous habit.

voland

1.0.0 officially out
is there a multiplayer survivor server that most caffers use?
I've been having lots of fun in single player, had some spectacular deaths in hardcore mode too, so I'm now looking forward to SMP

Urbanned

1.0.0 officially out
is there a multiplayer survivor server that most caffers use?
I've been having lots of fun in single player, had some spectacular deaths in hardcore mode too, so I'm now looking forward to SMP
I would love it if there is. Playing in SP at the moment because I couldn't find a good MP server to play in. If we get a group of us together and set one up it would be brilliant!

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
Same.

My mate got somebody he knew to set one up once. This guy's dad was rich and set us up a server that was running 24/7, was immense. There was so much cool stuff built, you'd log on and everyone had been working on new things. I built a castle made from snow, took fecking ages.