Miscellaneous Reserve/Youth News

oskarutd

2013/14 U21 Squad

Goalkeepers; Amos*, Johnstone*, Gollini, Sutherland

Defenders; Vermijl*, Thorpe*, M.Keane*, Blackett, James, Grimshaw, Love, Rowley, Dalley, Mcnair.

Midfielders; Tunnicliffe*, Cole, Lingard, Ekangemene, Pearson, Weir, Rothwell, Rudge, Barmby, Daehli, Januzaj, Powell*.

Forwards; Lawrence, Byrne, W.Keane, Henriquez*.

* Players who could well be Loaned out/Sold/Released in the near future IMO.
Cole and Lingard likely to go on loan, Grimshaw and McNair are midfielders, but can be used in defence.

SkeppyRed

Lineups Game Winner 2012/13
I think Lingard and Cole, as well as Will Keane will stick around the u21s/first team for the first 4/5 months to see how they grow and develop.

I've heard people describe Grimshaw as a midfielder a few times now. Don't see it myself tbh, he's nowhere near good enough on the ball imo.

jb8521

Japhet Mata a left back or left winger of African descent has been brought over from Ballincollig in Ireland and has been playing for the under 16s

oskarutd

I think Lingard and Cole, as well as Will Keane will stick around the u21s/first team for the first 4/5 months to see how they grow and develop.

I've heard people describe Grimshaw as a midfielder a few times now. Don't see it myself tbh, he's nowhere near good enough on the ball imo.
That is what he was when he started playing for the u-18s.

jb8521

Guillermo Varela is in England to finalise signing for United with a fee of 1.8 million up front and a possible 1 million based on appearances being suggested

Heffo

That is what he was when he started playing for the u-18s.

Didn't he play right-back when he first broke into the Academy side? I think I remember hearing he was a striker when he joined from Burnley, but bar one or two games in midfield I thought he'd always played in defense at United.

gooDevil

Worst scout ever
2013/14 U21 Squad

Goalkeepers; Amos*, Johnstone*, Gollini, Sutherland

Defenders; Vermijl*, Thorpe*, M.Keane*, Blackett, James, Grimshaw, Love, Rowley, Dalley, Mcnair.

Midfielders; Tunnicliffe*, Cole, Lingard, Ekangemene, Pearson, Weir, Rothwell, Rudge, Barmby, Daehli, Januzaj, Powell*.

Forwards; Lawrence, Byrne, W.Keane, Henriquez*.

* Players who could well be Loaned out/Sold/Released in the near future IMO.
Awesome, thanks.

Though I'm guessing that many of the u18 players stepping up could still play for the u18s?

oskarutd

Manchester United Premier Cup for u-15s will be in Manchester 6th to 9th of August this summer.

PS18

Awesome, thanks.

Though I'm guessing that many of the u18 players stepping up could still play for the u18s?
Think they changed the rules with the new league coming in last season so no more over-age players (bar goalkeepers in an emergency, I think).

gooDevil

Worst scout ever
England U21s vs. Norway U21s

England: Butland, Smith, Caulker, Dawson, Rose, Chalobah,
Henderson, Lowe, Ince, Zaha, Redmond.
Subs: Steele, Clyne, Wisdom, Lees, Robinson, McEachran, Lansbury, Shelvey, Delfouneso, Sordell, Wickham, Rudd.
Norway: Nyland, Elabdellaoui, Rogne, Semb Berge,
Strandberg, Singh, Johansen, Eikrem, Berget, Pedersen, Nielsen.
Subs: Ostbo, Linnes, Berisha, Henriksen, Nordtveit, de Lanlay,
Konradssen, Kastrati, King, Ibrahim.

Considering United won the u21 trophy and has quite a few English players I'm a little surprised no one has made the team for us outside of new boy Zaha.

mo0

why? those players ahead play regular, competitive professional football. no point in sending U21/Reserve players to a major tournament! like saying Spurs (who "won" the U21 league) should have their best Reserves there (well, arguably Carroll should have gone). the England U20 squad is where they'll have their chances.

PS18

I'd probably say there's as much (if not more) point in sending technically able U21/reserves to a major as there is the likes of Marvin Sordell, who may have competitive professional football experience but is... well, not to put too fine a point on it, absolute garbage.

mo0

Thorpe 78', Johnstone 30', Cole 45' in the England U20 friendly win over Uruguay (highlights). Cole set one up, had another delightful pass through (to Kane) as well.

Elliott

Likes Loan Stickies
No more shitty streams for this guy... From July MUTV will finally be available in Norway. feck Thiago, let's have a bit of Pearson.

Burrow

FM Experiment God
Scout
Now we just need MUTV to broadcast in HD, and all will be well. We have certain standards of quality in Norway.

Elliott

Likes Loan Stickies
As long as we're not getting Siv Jensen we'll be fine.

SirFergie

England U21s vs. Norway U21s

England: Butland, Smith, Caulker, Dawson, Rose, Chalobah,
Henderson, Lowe, Ince, Zaha, Redmond.
Subs: Steele, Clyne, Wisdom, Lees, Robinson, McEachran, Lansbury, Shelvey, Delfouneso, Sordell, Wickham, Rudd.
Norway: Nyland, Elabdellaoui, Rogne, Semb Berge,
Strandberg, Singh, Johansen, Eikrem, Berget, Pedersen, Nielsen.
Subs: Ostbo, Linnes, Berisha, Henriksen, Nordtveit, de Lanlay,
Konradssen, Kastrati, King, Ibrahim.

Considering United won the u21 trophy and has quite a few English players I'm a little surprised no one has made the team for us outside of new boy Zaha.
It's one of the problems of English football at the moment. Managers, at any level, reluctant to blood new players simply because they want to win the tournament. It doesn't matter if the players they pick anyway are too old for that level or simply not good enough. That's got to change. Like you said, we have got talented players at U21 level who could get used but continually don't on the international stage.

gooDevil

Worst scout ever
I do understand that there are more developed players available for selection. But man, if you can't play a younger more talented player at U21 level for development purposes then when the hell do you let them play?

It's certainly annoying to see someone like Marvin Sordell who, as PS18 pointed out, has no chance of ever becoming an England international and whose development is worth almost nothing to the national team, being picked over more talented but younger players.

PS18

Attitude towards U21s should be to get them playing the right way and involve players of genuine potential. It's a development team. If that means missing out on the Euros so be it - what use is the much-touted 'tournament experience' if most of the players getting that experience are never going to be good enough to play in a major tournament anyway (and/or if that tournament experience consists of abysmal failure like this year's)? Pearce's reign has been all about getting to the tournaments at any cost - play the percentages, use the more physically developed players, play prehistoric but organised football and bully their way through not-too-challenging qualifying groups before generally being exposed as terribly limited when the tournament comes around. Totally at odds with things like St Georges Park, the EPPP etc - typically muddled thinking from the FA. Needs a total change of mindset with the next appointment (assuming they finally see sense and let Pearce walk).

Heffo

Could possibly do with it's own thread, but here's a list of nexts years 1st year scholars.

First-year scholars
Cameron Borthwick-Jackson (Defender)
Ruairi Croskery (Forward)
George Dorrington (Goalkeeper)
Dean Henderson (Goalkeeper)
Scott McTominay (Midfielder)
Demetri Mitchell (Winger)
Devonte Redmond (Forward)
Joe Riley (Midfielder)
Jordan Thompson (Midfielder)
Oliver Rathbone - U17 Student (Midfielder)
http://www.manutd.com/en/Players-An...-year-intake-2012-2013-manchester-united.aspx

Some interesting players in theer. Mitchell is seemingly the stand-out talent but Henderson and Borthwick-Jackson have also been in some recent under-age squads and impressed. IIRC Redmond and Riley have been involved with England squads previously as well, just not the most recent victory shield squad.

Croskery and Thompson are both from Northern Ireland. I remember a story a year or two ago when we signed Croskery but I don't recall hearing anything about Thompson. I recognise McTominay's name (from playing in the Premier cup I think) but Dorrington doesn't ring a bell.

Maybe someone else knows more about some of the lesser known players?

Genius Me!

Proud EE fan, 10k club member & NSFW crew member
As a second year scholar I hope Harrop gets a real chance next season.

Heffo

As a second year scholar I hope Harrop gets a real chance next season.

I don't think we saw a lot from the 1st year scholars last year as a group. A couple of stand-outs like Wilson, Perreira and Ioannou, but not much from the rest through injury or just not being ready. 3 of the players I'm most interested to see play more regularly this year are Harrop, Goss and Perreira (the 'keeper). Ashley Fletcher is another that I'd like to see a bit more of.

It will be interesting to see if the 2nd year scholars will make up the majority of this years team or will a lot of this years first years slot right into the team ahead of them.

Between this year and last years crop there are only 4 players listed as defenders. Wouldn't be surprised to see one or two defenders signed from elsewhere before the season begins.

PS18

Could possibly do with it's own thread, but here's a list of nexts years 1st year scholars.

http://www.manutd.com/en/Players-An...-year-intake-2012-2013-manchester-united.aspx

Some interesting players in theer. Mitchell is seemingly the stand-out talent but Henderson and Borthwick-Jackson have also been in some recent under-age squads and impressed. IIRC Redmond and Riley have been involved with England squads previously as well, just not the most recent victory shield squad.

Croskery and Thompson are both from Northern Ireland. I remember a story a year or two ago when we signed Croskery but I don't recall hearing anything about Thompson. I recognise McTominay's name (from playing in the Premier cup I think) but Dorrington doesn't ring a bell.

Maybe someone else knows more about some of the lesser known players?
Henderson, Borthwick-Jackson and Mitchell have been England U16 regulars, like you say. Think Redmond has been involved in the U16 setup too but he missed a lot of time last season through injury - was in last year's Milk Cup squad though. Not sure if Riley's had any England honours but he played in a few U18 friendlies last season, scored in one of them (against Bury I think).

Jordan Thompson played for NI in the Victory Shield last season - he's a left-sided player. Dorrington came from Bristol City a few years back. Think I'm right in saying McTominay and Rathbone are both short, slight ball-playing midfielders, might not see a lot of them initially.

They've all been involved in Marveld/MUPC in the past I think, no real surprises this year. Definitely wouldn't be surprised if a couple of others were added over the summer though.

lysglimt

Scout
Henderson, Borthwick-Jackson and Mitchell have been England U16 regulars, like you say. Think Redmond has been involved in the U16 setup too but he missed a lot of time last season through injury - was in last year's Milk Cup squad though. Not sure if Riley's had any England honours but he played in a few U18 friendlies last season, scored in one of them (against Bury I think).

Jordan Thompson played for NI in the Victory Shield last season - he's a left-sided player. Dorrington came from Bristol City a few years back. Think I'm right in saying McTominay and Rathbone are both short, slight ball-playing midfielders, might not see a lot of them initially.

They've all been involved in Marveld/MUPC in the past I think, no real surprises this year. Definitely wouldn't be surprised if a couple of others were added over the summer though.
I don't think we should expect too much of the U18's this season - on paper they look substantially less experienced than the team from 12/13 (and probably also less developed physically)

Heffo

Cheers for the extra info. I'm sure I remember Riley being involved with England in some way, it may well have been at a training camp rather than in an actual squad though.

I don't think we should expect too much of the U18's this season - on paper they look substantially less experienced than the team from 12/13 (and probably also less developed physically)

I'd agree with this to be honest. Very few stand out players will be returning next year so we'll be relying on unknown players to step up. I'm expecting a bit of a development year with lots of inconsistency, but maybe we'll be pleasantly surprised.

PS18

Now I think about it, you're right about Riley - think he was called up for the U16 trials last summer.

Low expectations this year for sure - let's hope everyone bears that in mind all season.

mo0

pardon the delay but Cole played 16' vs Chile and 73' vs Egypt in the U20 World Cup for England. made a positive impact alongside Pritchard against Chile, ball retention standing out the most during the short period he was on show. for the Egypt match also a standout player in the 1st half. played ~10 minutes centrally (after starting wide) before being taken off. had two clear cut chances that, if finished, would have set England on their way.

Sam Johnstone was between the sticks for all three matches. Johnstone safe all-round - not too much to report other than distribution which was by and large short and from the back.

feel free to peruse my blog for more details. but overall, a refreshing and enjoyable showing from the U20s and England in general.

Genius Me!

Proud EE fan, 10k club member & NSFW crew member
So according to the article on skysports, it seems that Fornasier was released by mutual consent. Apparently he was told he would either play in the reserves or go on loan to a Lower level team so he's decided to go back to Italy and join Sampdoria.

I don't blame him really, but he could have taken the loan deal unless he thinks he's behind Keane and Thorpe and wouldn't stand a chance then that's fair enough really.

backofthenet

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
He's not the messiah... he's a very naughty boy
I suspect that he was looking at the competition ahead of him and thinking that he was unlikely to get a chance in the near future. Shame as I thought he had really progressed but I don't blame him. Wish him good luck back in Italy... definitely think he'll play at a decent standard.

backofthenet

Not sure of whether this is the right thread but its going to be fascinating to see which of the ressies go on the tour this year. Moyes is obviously going to have a different take on it than Fergie.

From my point of view I think he should consider taking

Johnstone, Vermijl, Cole, Lingard, Thorpe, Keane (Michael and maybe Will), Tunnicliffe, Powell, Januzaj and Henriquez. I would love to see Pearson involved as well but he probably needs a ressies year. Most of those lads face a pretty critical year to be honest as to whether they will make it at United or not... especially the 2011 youth cup winners

PS18

There are many who'd deserve a go, probably more than at this time last year when even someone like Veseli got the chance. With the vast majority of the first-team squad available though I doubt more than 1 or 2 of those names travel. Even without Hernández and possibly the injured Smalling/Young/Nani, there's potentially 22/23 senior pros in contention (if we include Amos, Fábio, Fletcher, Kagawa from Japan onwards and hopefully Thiago) - doesn't leave much room.

backofthenet

It's true, but I think you can exclude Fletcher, cos he's just had another operation and I would be surprised if we didn't take 25 - 28 on tour, leaving room for 3 or 4 lads to go. I'd be surprised if Januzaj, Powell and Henriquez weren't on the plane... and I really hope that Jesse Lingard and Michael Keane get a chance to go also.