MLB 2022

Ayush_reddevil

Éire Abú
I think the length of the season is finally catching up on the Yankees. 162 games is genuinely ridiculous

Vidyoyo

The bad "V"
I think the length of the season is finally catching up on the Yankees. 162 games is genuinely ridiculous
Can we please avoid turning this thread into another PS vs Xbox thread?
Ah no way, that's the beauty of these long ass seasons! It's all about ups and downs, swings and roundabouts, peaks and downhill slopes, etc etc

Every team can get hot at one point but it's a marathon to make sure you don't go ice cold, dealing with injuries and having not invested in trade acquisitions while your rivals have lost one of their prospects just to compete. Or just generally stopped imploding like the Angels might eventually do.

So much about the variation of baseball across seasons happens because each year is so damn long.

Look at the Mets as another example. They were running away with the NL East until a few weeks ago but now the Braves are hot on their heels :)

Last edited:

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
I think it’s the realisation that when you are making the playoffs but there is still like half the season to go so the grind becomes harder
Baseball is not a sprint, hell it's not even a marathon. It's a leisurely drive down a country road with a stop halfway at a country diner for fried chicken, collards, sweet tea, and peach cobbler. Relax and enjoy the journey.

edcunited1878

More teams are looking forward to the All Star break, mainly those who have been in playoff contention the first half (e.g. Padres). Some teams have a lot to think about around the trade deadline...do you become buyers or sellers?

It's way too early to write off teams, especially with the Wild Card expanded to 3 teams. A couple teams in both leagues are going to be hot going into September, so post-All Star break until end of August will be important to make sure your team is in position to seriously contend for a playoff spot. August and September are usually the months where you play more division rivals, so lots of ground can be made up or lost.

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
More teams are looking forward to the All Star break, mainly those who have been in playoff contention the first half (e.g. Padres). Some teams have a lot to think about around the trade deadline...do you become buyers or sellers?

It's way too early to write off teams, especially with the Wild Card expanded to 3 teams. A couple teams in both leagues are going to be hot going into September, so post-All Star break until end of August will be important to make sure your team is in position to seriously contend for a playoff spot. August and September are usually the months where you play more division rivals, so lots of ground can be made up or lost.
The Giants need to make a decision quick. If they decide to call it a year they hold the likely biggest trading chip in Rodon and could get a massive prospect haul if a bidding war starts up. Belt and Yaz are both on expiring's as well. Personally I would call it a year as this team is just too flawed to repeat 2021 and the Giants best prospects are at least 2 years away.

edcunited1878

The Giants need to make a decision quick. If they decide to call it a year they hold the likely biggest trading chip in Rodon and could get a massive prospect haul if a bidding war starts up. Belt and Yaz are both on expiring's as well. Personally I would call it a year as this team is just too flawed to repeat 2021 and the Giants best prospects are at least 2 years away.
Didn't Rodon only sign a 1 year deal? Don't want another repeat of Gausman, although different circumstances since Giants were in the playoffs last year. They've done well finding players who need to rebound and focus on their strengths. Too many players have regressed like Wade, Yaz, Longo is out hurt again, Crawford isn't anything close to last year, etc.

Giants still have another month of games and the lead up to the trade deadline will shape their future. I think they are being very reasonable with their contracts thus far, at least from the past few seasons, and they shouldn't mortgage their better prospects. I'm with you about them calling it a year and holding on to whomever they can and just allow them to play it out.

Totally different scenario for the Padres, although the need to make decisions on the pitching staff and have to address Musgrove's contract situation. And can't wait till Myers is gone.

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
Didn't Rodon only sign a 1 year deal? Don't want another repeat of Gausman, although different circumstances since Giants were in the playoffs last year. They've done well finding players who need to rebound and focus on their strengths. Too many players have regressed like Wade, Yaz, Longo is out hurt again, Crawford isn't anything close to last year, etc.

Giants still have another month of games and the lead up to the trade deadline will shape their future. I think they are being very reasonable with their contracts thus far, at least from the past few seasons, and they shouldn't mortgage their better prospects. I'm with you about them calling it a year and holding on to whomever they can and just allow them to play it out.

Totally different scenario for the Padres, although the need to make decisions on the pitching staff and have to address Musgrove's contract situation. And can't wait till Myers is gone.
He signed a 2 year with a player option for the second based on innings. I think it kicks in at 110 innings and he is at 90 or so. No way he does not opt out.

The farm system is looking good and Harrison has exploded this year. Dominating AA at 20!

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
Christ, we finally get Wander Franco back from injury, now he’s out 6 to 8 weeks due to surgery for a hamate fracture.

Never heard of a fecking hamate fracture before.

MrMarcello

In a well-ordered universe...
Christ, we finally get Wander Franco back from injury, now he’s out 6 to 8 weeks due to surgery for a hamate fracture.

Never heard of a fecking hamate fracture before.
Sounds like something Owen Hargreaves would have had happen just going to take a piss or walking to his kitchen to make a sammich.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
What’s the backstory / reason for radio announcers to list off the starters again by just their last name after already discussing them in depth just seconds before? Anyone know?

Kevin

Nostrodamus of football
Ohtani struck out 12 vs astros and hit some at bats for points as well.

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
Imagine giving up 4 game checks (and service time) for this shit. Idiots.

For WM that is $173K and $210K for AB

SirAnderson

Really enjoying this season.
I have a set routine these days.

After my morning run I get back and then go through almost all the highlights of the games, takes me about an hour depending.

I'm a proper glory hunter though, I enjoy watching the games of the most of the .500 teams. Still haven't decided who I'll back for the World Series :lol:

Looking forward to the home run derby and the all star game. Will also be my first.

edcunited1878

Feel like a HR derby would be amazing without the announcers and have former players commentating from the field, telling stories, etc.

If you're able to watch a derby in person, it's a fecking lazer show. The loud sounds, the different pop/sound off the players's bat, and just the sheer power they put on is fecking amazing. On TV, the announcers just have to fill the dead air space and it gets really boring listening to them chat up the same shit.

Vidyoyo

The bad "V"
Feel like a HR derby would be amazing without the announcers and have former players commentating from the field, telling stories, etc.

If you're able to watch a derby in person, it's a fecking lazer show. The loud sounds, the different pop/sound off the players's bat, and just the sheer power they put on is fecking amazing. On TV, the announcers just have to fill the dead air space and it gets really boring listening to them chat up the same shit.
They should do that, it'd be really cool

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
Sucks to be you then. Soto winning this thing would the highlight of the nats season.

The only highlight
Possibly. I was a pitcher in my “glory” days* and absolutely love pitching and defense. The HR derby is silly fun but not really baseball. It would be like a penalty competition at the World Cup.

edcunited1878

Possibly. I was a pitcher in my “glory” days* and absolutely love pitching and defense. The HR derby is silly fun but not really baseball. It would be like a penalty competition at the World Cup.

Bonus points to you sir!!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

"Let me tell you something...I served this country. I played high school football, 4 touchdowns in one game. Yet I'm not exempt from state and federal taxes! Now is this any way America should treat its heroes?! You just flashed that badge at some register voter, buddy. We're Bundy's, we hate cops!"

Last edited:

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
Bonus points to you sir!!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

"Let me tell you something...I served this country. I played high school football, 4 touchdowns in one game. Yet I'm not exempt from state and federal taxes! Now is this any way America should treat its heroes?! You just flashed that badge at some register voter, buddy. We're Bundy's, we hate cops!"
:lol: