MLS 2016

Deleted member 101472

I kind of expected that typical Toronto mental weakness to rear up today. We didn't look settled and mentally prepared to play this match, and only when we went down 2-0 did we start to settle down and start playing our game, but even then, Montréal look comfortable, and I wouldn't be surprised if they win 3-0 again like last season.
Well well well

mazhar13

Kermit Inc. 2022
Scout
Well well well
Close enough. :p:lol:

I mean, we did a great job fighting back, and it's mostly down to Vanney changing our shape to unsettle Montréal's back line. Ricketts did a great job unsettling Ciman with how he peeled off to the right, and it allowed Giovinco more freedom in his game.

Cooper and Osorio lost their heads and ruined our midfield. Johnson added some much-needed composure and stability, and Giovinco showed Osorio how one should play as the attacking midfielder.

There's lots for Vanney to consider here. Should he keep faith in 3 at the back or go with a 4-3-3? If I were him, I'd go with a 4-3-3 and have a deep-lying playmaker/anchor man to free up Bradley and prevent us from getting punished with his poor defensive play.

limerickcitykid

There once was a kid from Toronto...
What a shambles the delay was. How did no one notice this over the last 5 days or whatever? How does something like that only come to light minutes before the game is meant to start. How did they even notice it? If the refs could walk out and spot that by eye then how did no one spot it before. Just mind boggling really.

The team performance was probably even a bigger shambles until late in the game too.
Irwin should have really done better for the 3rd.

Beitashour is just shite. I really don't even know wtf he is meant to be doing out there, doesn't defend, runs around aimlessly miles out of possession and doesn't do anything in attack either.

Morrow did well at times to get forward and get into good positions but his delivery was large garbage.

The CB trio, I honestly don't even know. All over the place or just put in an unplayable position? How many 3v3 breaks were they put under? Unbelievable, absolutely no support from the midfield or fullbacks.

Oso just did nothing, constant long balls bypassed him in possession and then he was always too high up to contribute defensively.

Cooper and Bradley, can you get anymore brainless? Especially Cooper. I think it was the second where Bradley drives into the box trying a 1-2 which doesn't work and what does Cooper do? The exact same thing where it is completely obvious that it isn't going to come off. Bradley is the defensive mid and is in the box so Cooper is the deepest, what on earth is he thinking to try a driving 1-2 into the box? The guy is completely oblivious to his surroundings and just runs around without a care in the world. Neither of them seemed to give a feck what was behind them and just went on runs whenever they felt like it. I'll put blame on them for all 3 goals. And wtf is with Bradley just booting balls forward all game? Half of them were nowhere even near Altidore.

Will Johnson was good when he came on, came on and helped mask Bradley's complete lack of defensive contribution and helped put together something at actually resembled a midfield. I hate Ricketts but he did good as well, came on and made a presence up front and made space for others. Used his size and pace to cause problems and stretch Montreal.

mazhar13

Kermit Inc. 2022
Scout
What a shambles the delay was. How did no one notice this over the last 5 days or whatever? How does something like that only come to light minutes before the game is meant to start. How did they even notice it? If the refs could walk out and spot that by eye then how did no one spot it before. Just mind boggling really.

The team performance was probably even a bigger shambles until late in the game too.
Irwin should have really done better for the 3rd.

Beitashour is just shite. I really don't even know wtf he is meant to be doing out there, doesn't defend, runs around aimlessly miles out of possession and doesn't do anything in attack either.

Morrow did well at times to get forward and get into good positions but his delivery was large garbage.

The CB trio, I honestly don't even know. All over the place or just put in an unplayable position? How many 3v3 breaks were they put under? Unbelievable, absolutely no support from the midfield or fullbacks.

Oso just did nothing, constant long balls bypassed him in possession and then he was always too high up to contribute defensively.

Cooper and Bradley, can you get anymore brainless? Especially Cooper. I think it was the second where Bradley drives into the box trying a 1-2 which doesn't work and what does Cooper do? The exact same thing where it is completely obvious that it isn't going to come off. Bradley is the defensive mid and is in the box so Cooper is the deepest, what on earth is he thinking to try a driving 1-2 into the box? The guy is completely oblivious to his surroundings and just runs around without a care in the world. Neither of them seemed to give a feck what was behind them and just went on runs whenever they felt like it. I'll put blame on them for all 3 goals. And wtf is with Bradley just booting balls forward all game? Half of them were nowhere even near Altidore.

Will Johnson was good when he came on, came on and helped mask Bradley's complete lack of defensive contribution and helped put together something at actually resembled a midfield. I hate Ricketts but he did good as well, came on and made a presence up front and made space for others. Used his size and pace to cause problems and stretch Montreal.
I'll be honest, we're really lucky that we did end the game at 3-2 given how shambolic we were for the whole match.

Bradley finally got exposed at the defensive midfield role in the big stage, and I'm hoping Vanney learns from this. However, given how much of a big presence Bradley is, something tells me that Bradley himself won't prefer a move to a more box-to-box role even though he himself is better-suited to it.

Osorio just completely lost his head in the match. He looked completely lost and had no idea where to position himself. Same goes for Cooper, who forgot the role he was playing. He never played like this previously. I'm honestly surprised that he played as deep as he did!

Beitashour is a waste of a transfer. Today's match confirmed it. The back 3 masked his inability to play football until now. Honestly, I'd be happy to have Bloom start ahead of him, but knowing Vanney, he'll think that Beitashour is better just because he got him from another club. Even Jackson would have had a better match than Beitashour yesterday!

Regarding the rest of the defence, they were going to get exposed. I feel sorry for Zavaleta because he was the only competent defender in the whole match. Moor has always struggled with 1-on-1's, and Biello exploited that perfectly. He's a more zonal defender who's better in the box than outside of it (pretty much the Gary Cahill of the MLS), and he will badly need an anchor man to prevent him from pushing up and facing 1-on-1's. The Oyongo goal pretty much summed up his inability to defend 1-on-1's. Hagglund has shown that he's no better than a squad player, so we will need another central defender to rotate with Moor. I don't really trust Williams, either.

Bradley couldn't do much but boot balls forward up to Altidore until Giovinco came into the attacking midfield role as both Cooper and Osorio were piss poor with their midfield positioning. Osorio was just pulling out to the left flank too early, and Cooper dropped too deep too often. Maybe this is the time when Oso could be replaced with Delgado in these big matches as Delgado's positioning is much better than Oso's at the moment. It's sad; I had high hopes for Oso, but ah well, he won't get any better.

I think, for the next match, we need to let Bradley loose from the defensive responsibility he had yesterday and allow him to burst forward. Get Cheyrou to be our deep-lying playmaker and play two of Bradley/Johnson/Cooper/Delgado in box-to-box roles. Get Ricketts on as a right wide forward-cum-striker and Giovinco in a free role with Morrow bombing forward as the left wing back. Have Bloom play the more defensive right back role, and have Moor and Zavaleta in a more conventional back 4. That should leave us in good stead for the 2nd leg.

RedDevilCanuck

Quite dreamy - blue eyes, blond hair, tanned skin
What a half. 2-1 Toronto. Lots of incidents and players going into every 5050 hard.

RedDevilCanuck

Quite dreamy - blue eyes, blond hair, tanned skin
Must say Altidore has been amazing with his hold up play and ability to bring others into play.

Reckless Full Back

Doesn't get forward much
I was checking out the match tickets last week and obstructed seats in the temporary grand stand were about $50. I should have bought them. It's way more than what I was willing to pay but feck it. I'll be buying tickets for the final if I can get one.