Mo Salah

montpelier

That is an unnecessary brain dead moment by the defender and it was definitely a penalty .
You don't mind him throwing his arms up in the air & collapsing then? - :D.

I tend to reluctantly agree now, but it's very annoying.

SquishyMcSquish

Supports
Tottenham
Watched it now. Clear pen. People are going full Rawkish here tbh just because it's for Liverpool. Not every pen for them are a dive guys.
There's contact and then he massively exaggerates said contact and flings himself to the ground.

It's not rawkish to say that, he's a diver. Even Liverpool fans I know admit it's a dive but just think it's also a penalty.

Ahsan_6386

You don't mind him throwing his arms up in the air & collapsing then? - :D.

I tend to reluctantly agree now, but it's very annoying.
Well there is a bit of theatricality from Sarah side but the defender was super dumb for wrapping his arms all over him . He was going nowhere still the defender decided to go all 300 on him in the box .

2mufc0

Everything is fair game in capitalism!
Supports
Dragon of Dojima
It's a pen, he's had much better diving performances in the past but this time it's defender's fault.

el3mel

There's contact and then he massively exaggerates said contact and flings himself to the ground.

It's not rawkish to say that, he's a diver. Even Liverpool fans I know admit it's a dive but just think it's also a penalty.
He has dived previously and I said it here but not every pen he gets is a dive and this is as clear pen as it may get. If that was for United and it wasn't called a pen I'll be swearing at the ref. This is football not WWE for the defender to hold him like that.

Schweigaard

Supports
Liverpool
Are people seriously complaining about Salah going down? He was being manhandled by the defender, and deserved a pen. Sadly refs never give it unless he falls down, so obviously he has to dive to get it. 100% justified dive.

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
I love the faux outrage at diving Salah, the fact is every team has the players that do it. Even in this example it was a pen, he could have done 3 tumbles with a pike finish, it would have still been a penalty.

Irrational.

He embellishes contact but if he didn't he wouldn't win half the pens he has.

Looks pathetic but defenders shouldn't be so stupid. And as long as the Scouse keep grinding out wins he won't care, and neither will they.

SquishyMcSquish

Supports
Tottenham
He has dived previously and I said it here but not every pen he gets is a dive and this is as clear pen as it may get. If that was for United and it wasn't called a pen I'll be swearing at the ref. This is football not WWE for the defender to hold him like that.
The defender is being stupid, but Salah blatantly throws himself back and exaggerates the contact.

The ref should give a penalty .. but Salah is trying to buy it. The way he goes down isn't natural.

SquishyMcSquish

Supports
Tottenham
I love the faux outrage at diving Salah, the fact is every team has the players that do it. Even in this example it was a pen, he could have done 3 tumbles with a pike finish, it would have still been a penalty.
Why? Diving is one of the worst things in the game, I hate it. I despise when our own plays did it in the past and Salah has done it numerous times this season and it's really not on.

Just because Salah feels contact doesn't mean he has the right to do a backwards dive to try and buy a penalty. Players should play on until they're brought down and rely on the referees to get the decisions right.

VAR should help sort this shit out a lot.

el3mel

The defender is being stupid, but Salah blatantly throws himself back and exaggerates the contact.

The ref should give a penalty .. but Salah is trying to buy it. The way he goes down isn't natural.
He'll be stupid to not fall to the ground when a contact is made and he deserves a pen for a defender holding him that way. Stay on his feet and I doubt the ref would have even noticed it. No diving here. He's right to do so as long as the contact was present and he deserves the pen. This is what players should do in such situations all honestly.

This isn't Utopia.

el3mel

Why? Diving is one of the worst things in the game, I hate it. I despise when our own plays did it in the past and Salah has done it numerous times this season and it's really not on.

Just because Salah feels contact doesn't mean he has the right to do a backwards dive to try and buy a penalty. Players should play on until they're brought down and rely on the referees to get the decisions right.

The VAR would have given him the pen. I don't know what's your problem.

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham

It's part of the game, always has and always will be. I don't particularly like it either I just don't comment on any of it simply because as you say we have a player or 2 that loves a dive. There was contact, Salah went down, it would be very hard to discipline a player for "overacting", and don't think it would ever happen, as long as there was legitimate contact.

el3mel

I thought that about the VAR too. It was what changed my embittered mind mainly, tbh.

And he IS a cheat, plain & simple.
He dived several times. I don't like that part of him and mentioned it here. I haven't been a big fan of him recently for some non football reasons too. Don't see he dived today though.

redman5

In a world of my own. People know me here.

I'd say that you'd be in a very small minority of supporters who wouldn't want one of their players to do exactly the same if they were in the same situation. I'm not defending Salah when he tries to con the ref by diving when he's not been touched. That is blatant cheating. But the real cheat today was the Cardiff defender who tried to gain an advantage by holding our man. Mo Salah simply made sure the ref made the right decision.

SquishyMcSquish

Supports
Tottenham
It's part of the game, always has and always will be. I don't particularly like it either I just don't comment on any of it simply because as you say we have a player or 2 that loves a dive. There was contact, Salah went down, it would be very hard to discipline a player for "overacting", and don't think it would ever happen, as long as there was legitimate contact.
We have a player or 2 and I've complained then, hopefully we never see that shit again. Alli hasn't done it in ages and I'm happy about that.

It's such shit and makes the referees jobs so much harder than they should be. Salah today added to that because he's exaggerated the contact and faked being brought down a, it's so fecking blatant.

Mogget

Supports
Arsenal
The fact that he throws himself backwards deliberately?
Because the referee wouldn't have given the penalty if he didn't. It's a blatant pen, the defender has no clue where the ball is but he's got his arms around Salah deliberately obstructing him.

Players wouldn't need to fall dramatically if refs started doing their job and giving penalties for situations where it's a foul but the player doesn't fall. Blame them, not the players.

Sparky Rhiwabon

It can still be a penalty and still also be simulation. Therefore should be a ban, right? Otherwise what’s the point of the rule?

Armchair Manager

Supports
Northampton
Guys you are clutching at straws here. If a defender has been holding you like that, with both his arms around him for like 3-4 seconds. Referee will give it all day long. As a defender i can tell you embracing your defender like that makes referee's job so much easy. Sterling dives whenever he feels slights of contacts. He always goes hard in challenges, wins it and as soon as he feels contact, he goes to ground. Kane and Dele Alli does it as well. Ashley Young has made career out of it. But its only non english players which get criticised like Ronaldo, Suarez, Salah etc.

el3mel

The fact that he throws himself backwards deliberately?
I replied on that. He would be stupid to be fouled and not let the ref now. What do you think it's, Utopia ? Player will have a clear pen and stay on his feet ? That will be a stupid player, not an honest one.

SquishyMcSquish

Supports
Tottenham
I replied on that. He would be stupid to be fouled and not let the ref now. What do you think it's, Utopia ? Player will have a clear pen and stay on his feet ? That will be a stupid player, not an honest one.
Lots of players feel contact and don't throw themselves theatrically to the floor, all the fecking time.

Salah does it in this stupid, obvious way that makes him stand out from the rest. There's nothing natural about the way he goes down like he's overacting in a Shakespeare play.

el3mel

Lots of players feel contact and don't throw themselves theatrically to the floor, all the fecking time.

Salah does it in this stupid, obvious way that makes him stand out from the rest. There's nothing natural about the way he goes down like he's overacting in a Shakespeare play.
They're idiots, plain and simple.

Contact and you deserve a pen but ref didn't see it, fall on the ground and get your right, rather than preventing your team from getting a pen that can be an important goal.

Peeping Tim

Supports
Liverpool

Are you saying he should study Ali and Kane to see how to dive properly? ;)

Also, haven't seen much made of Martial's far more pathetic dive yesterday? Or McTominay's in the first leg vs Barca.

For me, a player has every right to do his best to make sure a ref sees him being fouled, but has no right to con a ref by diving when not fouled. Yesterday's was a clear foul and Salah made sure the ref saw it. Salah's dive against Chelsea the other night was a disgrace, as was McTominay's against Barca. Let's call it out, but at least do it consistently so it can be dealt with.

B20

HEY EVERYONE I IGNORE SOMEONE LOOK AT ME
Supports
Liverpool
When are refs going to start actually whistling for these without players going down?

It annoys me how oblivious they seem to be in contributing to diving in the modern game.

Salah was fouled and did the right thing in going down to show the ref he was fouled. It's ridiculous that you have to do that to get the foul though.

Jed I. Knight

The Mos Eisley Hillbilly
When are refs going to start actually whistling for these without players going down?

It annoys me how oblivious they seem to be in contributing to diving in the modern game.

Salah was fouled and did the right thing in going down to show the ref he was fouled. It's ridiculous that you have to do that to get the foul though.
Yup.

I've been saying this for years.

The current practice incentivises diving, and yet we're annoyed when players dive. It makes no sense.

AndersB

Well, ain't this cute. I hope you are not referring to this as something your lot doesn't do anymore?

SquishyMcSquish

Supports
Tottenham
Well, ain't this cute. I hope you are not referring to this as something your lot doesn't do anymore?
Of course we still do it .. pretty infrequently but it does happen.

This season Rose has been guilty a couple of times (our worst offender) and Kane has done it once. I don't like it and never will.

Salah is an 'i'm going to exaggerate/fake contact every single week' kinda bloke though.

Van Aanholt's Express

Supports
Wigan
England's only tactic at the last world cup was to win a corner then win a penalty using their well drilled penalty manufacturing routine.