Mo Salah

Suedesi

Just not true. Benzema and Mbappe certainly can be argued to be better than Salah. KDB looks a bit washed and Kane is woefully out of form so maybe those two are not comparable ATM.
I love Benzema, so it's hard for me to argue against him, but he doesn't have the pace of Salah. Mbappe is the opposite, a terrific fast player but I've never seen him score the type of goal that Salah scored against City or provide the assist to Mane. Granted, I don't watch much of Ligue 1, but aren't the majority of his goals him running into space and beating the defender for pace? I'd take Haaland over Mbappe but that's a different discussion.

Kane and KDB aren't even on the conversation.

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
Lewandowki has been on fire since Jan. He is the strongest contender for ballon d'or imo. Salah is a wonderful player with or without ballon d'or.
There may also be a feeling amongst the journalists that they owe Lewandowski one for last year's non-award.

NasirTimothy

Supports
Enyimba F.C.
I love Benzema, so it's hard for me to argue against him, but he doesn't have the pace of Salah. Mbappe is the opposite, a terrific fast player but I've never seen him score the type of goal that Salah scored against City or provide the assist to Mane. Granted, I don't watch much of Ligue 1, but aren't the majority of his goals him running into space and beating the defender for pace? I'd take Haaland over Mbappe but that's a different discussion.

I mean I’ve never seen Mbappe score exactly the type of goal that Salah scored the other day but I’ve seen him score many types of brilliant goals. He’s way ahead of Salah at 22, that’s for sure. We’ll have to see how his career pans out. I think when he goes to Madrid he’ll probably become the world’s best player, with his main competition being Haaland.

ThierryHenry14

Supports
Arsenal
I mean I’ve never seen Mbappe score exactly the type of goal that Salah scored the other day but I’ve seen him score many types of brilliant goals. He’s way ahead of Salah at 22, that’s for sure. We’ll have to see how his career pans out. I think when he goes to Madrid he’ll probably become the world’s best player, with his main competition being Haaland.
It is very hard to sustain at the highest level for over 10 years like CR7, Messi and Lewandowski. Mbappe may be one of those early developer like Michael Owen and he is a very good player at age 22.

NasirTimothy

Supports
Enyimba F.C.
It is very hard to sustain at the highest level for over 10 years like CR7, Messi and Lewandowski. Mbappe may be one of those early developer like Michael Owen and he is a very good player at age 22.
Michael Owen got a series of injuries, that’s why he never sustained it. If Mbappe stays healthy (which he hopefully will), there’s no reason why he can’t play at a high level for a decade plus.

kaiser1

Supports
Bayern Munich
Relegation candidates Leicester City winning the title is an argument for the competitiveness of the PL and not the other way round :)
Ranieri should be the best coach for that type of achievement dont you think so?

MrEleson

Messi and Ronaldo have even done it for longer than 10 years. Around 15 years now that Ronaldo in particular has been at the top. Simply supernatural.

ThierryHenry14

Supports
Arsenal
Michael Owen got a series of injuries, that’s why he never sustained it. If Mbappe stays healthy (which he hopefully will), there’s no reason why he can’t play at a high level for a decade plus.
Henry, Hazard, Bale, Raul, R9, Ronaldinho couldn't. What CR7 and Messi had achieved is extraordinary.

Suedesi

Salah is better than Mbappe. At this point in time. It's an opinion - not a fact obviously, but I think Salah's way underrated even by his fellow supporters that used to argue Mane is/was better.

Mbappe can of course get better as he gets older, but his game has stalled a bit in the last couple of years. Maybe a change of scenery would do him well.

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
Salah is better than Mbappe. At this point in time. It's an opinion - not a fact obviously, but I think Salah's way underrated even by his fellow supporters that used to argue Mane is/was better.

Mbappe can of course get better as he gets older, but his game has stalled a bit in the last couple of years. Maybe a change of scenery would do him well.
This was argued by United fans as well, on this forum.

nuanced

loves geopolitical narrative
Ranieri should be the best coach for that type of achievement dont you think so?
I thought your point was that the PL wasn't competitive enough given LCFC won the title.

To humor your question - A bunch of factors going in your favor to win a title, shouldn't elevate you among the all time greats. Ranieri is a good manager IMO, but there is a reason why he usually doesn't last beyond 2 years at any club.

NasirTimothy

Supports
Enyimba F.C.

There was a period that Mane seemed to be doing it more often in the big games (especially in the CL) so that’s not an unusual position. Obviously Mane fell off a cliff whereas Salah kept going so that made it much less of a debate. But it was a legit debate at one point IMO.

Re Mbappe v Salah, I think people are being prisoners of the moment because Salah has started the season extra hot. I still think Mbappe is a better player right now. So is Neymar, that’s another debate that is common on social media.

Drygon

Supports
Borussia Dortmund

Lewandowski doesn't have Salah's level of pace either and he's still easily better than Salah.

Same oes for Benzema > Salah

RooneyLegend

Salah is back to playing at the level he was in his first Pool season and it looks like it's got everyone going crazy.

NasirTimothy

Supports
Enyimba F.C.
Henry, Hazard, Bale, Raul, R9, Ronaldinho couldn't. What CR7 and Messi had achieved is extraordinary.
Henry and Raul played at a high level for a long time. R9 and Ronaldinho had party lifestyles that are not conducive to longevity. R9 also had an incredibly serious injury that nearly ended his career. Bale and Hazard also had to deal with injuries. And none of those players (with the exception of R9) were as good as Mbappe in their teens and early 20s.

Last edited:

Suedesi

There was a period that Mane seemed to be doing it more often in the big games (especially in the CL) so that’s not an unusual position. Obviously Mane fell off a cliff whereas Salah kept going so that made it much less of a debate. But it was a legit debate at one point IMO.

Re Mbappe v Salah, I think people are being prisoners of the moment because Salah has started the season extra hot. I still think Mbappe is a better player right now. So is Neymar, that’s another debate that is common on social media.
What's the saying form is temporary, class is permanent? I think people were confusing form for class when comparing Mane and Salah. I'm not a scout but I've always rated Salah higher despite the erratic finishing at times.

Agree on Neymar, not on Mbappe. Put Salah at PSG, they would be so much better

Last edited:

NasirTimothy

Supports
Enyimba F.C.
What's the saying form is temporary, class is permanent? I think people were confusing form for class when comparing Mane and Salah. I'm not a scout but I've always rated Salah higher despite the erratic finishing at times.

Agree on Neymar, not on Mbappe. Put Salah at PSG, they would be so much better
I don’t know about that. Mbappe’s been pretty solid for PSG.

Bearded One

Lewandowski is not just about goals. How anyone would suggest that Salah is ahead of him is beyond me. I mean there is no justification for this position.

I agree that KDB has gone down the pecking order due to form but Mbappe is ahead of Salah. Benzema is a hard one to call right now.

Dumbstar

We got another woman hater here.
Supports
Liverpool
Don't want to turn this into a Newcastle thread, but with noticeable change to the football market and environment could Salah and his brother be thinking about it? Our ongoing salary negotiations with him couldn't be worst timed.

PL, FA, Uefa, FIFA have basically already said feck it, go for it. No need for FFP pretence any longer. £250m in January should turn our heads and £500k a week salary will be enough for Salah to continue his PL record breaking elsewhere.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
Don't want to turn this into a Newcastle thread, but with noticeable change to the football market and environment could Salah and his brother be thinking about it? Our ongoing salary negotiations with him couldn't be worst timed.

PL, FA, Uefa, FIFA have basically already said feck it, go for it. No need for FFP pretence any longer. £250m in January should turn our heads and £500k a week salary will be enough for Salah to continue his PL record breaking elsewhere.
City started off with Nasri's and Robinhos before they got got De Bryunes etc.

I think Salah is a bit too high straight away.

Spoony

The People's President

Would he take the money to play for a non competitive side? He could get a massive wage and play for a top side.

Deery

Dreary
Would being Muslim be seen as very attractive to the Saudi ownership or would it matter do you think?

Last edited:

The Corinthian

I will not take Mad Winger's name in vain

You must be mental if you think any club, even Saudi backed Newcastle, will pay £250m for Salah.

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
Would being Muslin be seen as very attractive to the Saudi ownership or would it matter do you think?
Footballers are interested in money and their fame/status, and not who is the owner of their club.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff

:lol: Cloud cuckoo land

Deery

Dreary
Footballers are interested in money and their fame/status, and not who is the owner of their club.
That’s not what I’m saying, I mean wouldn’t the Saudi ownership love their star player to be Muslim as they follow Islamic law very closely in their country.

I think they’d love to bag Salah for multiple reasons..

Deery

Dreary
Just looking his contract runs to 22/23 so would cost a bomb not very realistic I thought his contract was up in January or the summer.

kaiser1

Supports
Bayern Munich

He doesnt need to move in January by summer he would have only 1yr left and 100M would be realistic at that point otherwise he can ride out his contract sign for free, hefty bonus and 700k per week

Suedesi

Lewandowski is not just about goals. How anyone would suggest that Salah is ahead of him is beyond me. I mean there is no justification for this position.

I agree that KDB has gone down the pecking order due to form but Mbappe is ahead of Salah. Benzema is a hard one to call right now.
I know. Lewandowski is the best striker in terms of efficiency and numbers, his athleticism is off the charts, built like a Spartan. The guy scores 50 goals a season, no joke.

But I prefer watching Salah. His game is more well rounded than either Mbappe or Lewa. Passing, touch, goals too. I can only think of Messi/Neymar when I see him play.