Mohammed Kudus | Watch

AjaxCunian

vexingwijsneus
Supports
Ajax & United
The fact that some think that Kudus too wouldnt go to shit here, is really astonishing.

devaneios

Supports
São Paulo FC
The fact that some think that Kudus too wouldnt go to shit here, is really astonishing.
Even if true, he's clearly better than Antony; a better, more direct dribbler and with some end product; and, as said, would cost half the price.

Maybe he just improved absurdly after joining West Ham, I don't know.

Insanity

Most apt username 2015
Isn't he supposed to have a release clause in his West Ham contract? Any inkling from the journos how much is it?

Winrar

Been saying he's quality since WC. Unfortunately it's too late now without having to cough up a fortune for him.

Patchbeard

To be fair to Ten Hag on this one, it doesn't look like he was pulling up trees when he was at Ajax. Scored 4 and then 1 league goal(s) in his two seasons there under Ten Hag. Had the aforementione injury problems although also looks like Ten Hag maybe didn't rate him, as the majority of his appearances were off the bench so his goals per/min wasn't as bad as the goal tally suggests as he really didn't play many minutes. Whereas Antony is the same age and was playing considerably more.

Looks like Kudus really started delivering last season once Ten Hag had already left and we had already signed Antony :wenger:

Obviously you could argue that if Ten Hag was a greater judge of a player he would have seen the greater talent right in front of his eyes and given him more starts when he was fit instead of Antony. Out resident Ajax fans probably can provide a bit more insight than me...

AjaxCunian

vexingwijsneus
Supports
Ajax & United
Even if true, he's clearly better than Antony; a better, more direct dribbler and with some end product; and, as said, would cost half the price.

Maybe he just improved absurdly after joining West Ham, I don't know.
Antony had end product at Ajax well, I have watched both of them play every single match at Ajax and even if Kudus was even better at the end of his Ajax tenure, the difference wasnt huge.

Kudus was the only star in a poor team though, whereas Antony was one of the many stars in a great functioning team. So there is some difference.

But it isnt as wasy to say that it should have been obvious that Kudus would be a bigger hit than Antony, especially not a year ago. But hey, hindsight eh.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
To be fair to Ten Hag on this one, it doesn't look like he was pulling up trees when he was at Ajax. Scored 4 and then 1 league goal(s) in his two seasons there under Ten Hag. Had the aforementione injury problems although also looks like Ten Hag maybe didn't rate him, as the majority of his appearances were off the bench so his goals per/min wasn't as bad as the goal tally suggests as he really didn't play many minutes. Whereas Antony is the same age and was playing considerably more.
I'm sure I remember Ajax fans saying this was the case - that ten Hag used him sparingly and in weird positions. Him truly excelling when he was free from his shackles is funny.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
Antony had end product at Ajax well, I have watched both of them play every single match at Ajax and even if Kudus was even better at the end of his Ajax tenure, the difference wasnt huge.

Kudus was the only star in a poor team though, whereas Antony was one of the many stars in a great functioning team. So there is some difference.

But it isnt as wasy to say that it should have been obvious that Kudus would be a bigger hit than Antony, especially not a year ago. But hey, hindsight eh.
Unless Kudus took a meteoric leap in that interim, ten Hag as the coach who worked with them every day should have seen the gulf in talent and athleticism between them. That’s part and parcel of the job, which is why it boggles the mind we got what we got for the price that we paid, especially.

I don’t know how much ten Hag underestimated the league as well as overestimated Antony by to go down that route, but yes, in assessment it is one hell of an indictment given one now looks like a top 4 club player and the other is being questioned as to whether he’s even PL level.

AjaxCunian

vexingwijsneus
Supports
Ajax & United
Unless Kudus took a meteoric leap in that interim, ten Hag as the coach who worked with them every day should have seen the gulf in talent and athleticism between them. That’s part and parcel of the job, which is why it boggles the mind we got what we got for the price that we paid, especially.

I don’t know how much ten Hag underestimated the league as well as overestimated Antony by to go down that route, but yes, in assessment it is one hell of an indictment given one now looks like a top 4 club player and the other is being questioned as to whether he’s even PL level.
My whole point is that the gulf is not as big as it seems now, or it wasn't.

Players fail for different reasons, Blind who was too shit for Ajax is now the starting CB at the league leaders of La Liga. Football is not like FIFA.

I think Antony will struggle to turn things around here, but can still have a very good career if he decides to humble himself and try it somewhere else. He has more in his locker than he's currently showing, though I think he is playing quite well generally. Horrible output, but the same can be said for all our forwards.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
My whole point is that the gulf is not as big as it seems now, or it wasn't.

Players fail for different reasons, Blind who was too shit for Ajax is now the starting CB at the league leaders of La Liga. Football is not like FIFA.

I think Antony will struggle to turn things around here, but can still have a very good career if he decides to humble himself and try it somewhere else. He has more in his locker than he's currently showing, though I think he is playing quite well generally. Horrible output, but the same can be said for all our forwards.
Yeah but the point should be that the coach sees the fundamentals of both players and should be able to detect who is *by far* a better fit for the faster, more physical and aggressive league. Is there a single constructive thing Antony is better than Kudus at?

Idxomer

He would've been better for the right-wing than Antony, better as a striker than Hojlund, and better as an advanced midfielder than Mount.

Doracle

He would've been better for the right-wing than Antony, better as a striker than Hojlund, and better as an advanced midfielder than Mount.
Probably better than Onana in goal as well.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Incredibly annoying it has to be said. Reasonable price, looked brilliant at the world cup, versatile, much better physical qualities than Antony... And yet we let West Ham get him while we made Antony one of the most overpriced signings ever.

Not that Kudus would have excelled here given our shit, but he's a far better talent than Antony and far better suited to the prem.

Rojofiam

We could use with Kudus right now and he's definitely better than Antony, but make no mistake about it: the Caf would crucify him after a few bad games in a row saying the same things that are usually being said about Antony.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Ten hag must have serious issues in player evaluation for passing on this guy

Basso

Should have bought him when Kudos left Denmark. He was a superstar in the league back in 2020.
Better to try your luck with 6 signings for 10-15 Mio than one Anthony or overpriced Højlund. Then loan them to another club for a year or two.

Atheist

Are we sure he wouldn’t have turned to complete shit as soon as he’s a United player like the other signings?

Arka_BleedingRed

Should have bought him when Kudos left Denmark. He was a superstar in the league back in 2020.
Better to try your luck with 6 signings for 10-15 Mio than one Anthony or overpriced Højlund. Then loan them to another club for a year or two.
Like Pellistri, Amad etc. Perhaps? When it comes to our club, each and every recipe for success seems to fail here.

mu4c_20le

Antony was headed for a Golden Boy before he came here. True story.

GlasgowCeltic

Him Paqueta and Bowen look quality as a front three, funny knowing it’ll be discarded as soon as Antonio’s fit

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Yeah but he cant do this

Still can’t believe we spent 150 million on I) a left winger who is a wimp and iI) a right winger who is barely talented. I mean it’s not as if you can say Antony is an athlete. He works hard but he’s a small fecker with little pace. Feels like we signed him because he was part of some of ETH’s good times at Ajax which is in line with how shambolically our club is run. No idea if Kudus is good enough but he looks far more talented.

DJBillRemfry

Supports
West Ham United
He's solved West Ham's longstanding centre forward issue by playing RW and letting Bowen play as a 9

bosskeano

just so frustrating that we bought Mount and Antony ahead of this guy when Kudus can play both those roles in the squad and fecking better

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
Hasn't been great but you can see the ridiculous strength he has on the ball.

Reapersoul20

Can Anderson score? No.
Yep, absolutely. I really like him as a player. I am just trying to make myself feel better about missing out on him by pointing out when he plays shite :(

At least he was shite tonight. Long may it continue

TsuWave

Bagged against United

Last edited: