g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

Morgan Schneiderlin | Free Agent

André Dominguez

Supports
Benfica, Académica
He's really becoming the "old FM legend but underachieved career" type of player :D

Vault Dweller

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
He was immense in that Chelsea game but yeah, his whole post Southampton career has been dreadful. Decent enough bloke but he’s spineless and when you’re a CDM that’s just not going to cut it.

Our whole midfield is a shambles though. Both him and Gylfi (creates some chances but has dipped heavily since last year and is just as weak as him) need to leave at the end of the season and we need to invest heavily there. We have been super unlucky with the Gomes and Gbamin injuries and they’ve had a big impact to our season so far.

I know people also like to hate Davies but I like that he actually has passion. He needs to improve his ability and consistency a lot but I’m hoping he will kick on like McTominay with you lot. We bloody need him to.
I think you're right, if he works hard enough I think there is a good player in him.

NoLogo

that basically sums up our scouting and recruitment post Fergie. That’s supposedly a former international player in his prime. He’s obviously very mentally weak and you couldn’t argue that way too many of our signings have lacked the required mentality to excel here.
True. We have been picking up too many fine weather players and players lacking tenacity and will to win stuff in the last couple of years. I don't know where I read it but the one line a scout said on how to find those players that will win you stuff was mentioning that if you find a talented player it's especially important to watch how he handle the last 10 minutes of a game, when he gets tired and every sprint hurts, that's the moment where you see who is a player that will be able to win you things and who isn't and I couldn't agree more with that sentiment. Of course, you don't need an entire team of players like this but it helps if you have 5-6 of these fighters in your line up every game and add a couple of artists on top of it. Naturally the best mix is if you can find both in one player, the technical ability and the will to fight for every inch of pitch even in the 123rd minute of a game but those players are rare.

bucky

Last two? Didn't Poch join Spurs in 14/15 and Schneiderlin join us in 15/16?

I don't remember his form outside of Pochettino, though. Pochettino's Southampton team were one of my favourite teams to watch. He got everyone playing above their level and turned them into a pressing machine.
My bad, it was just one season without Pochettino, it was his best at Southampton though and under Koeman.

Bojan11

Has left the building. Just look at the responses.

What the hell happened to this guy with us and Everton?

RUCK4444

Massively overrated. Never understood the hype.

At the time I think we were just so desperate for a competent midfielder that the caf was happy to get behind this guy. Can't remember a single good game for us.

drdoityourself

Over a 100 appearances for United and Everton, I could not name a single memorable moment during this time.

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
I think he scored a goal once didn't he?

Josh 76

At the time I think we were just so desperate for a competent midfielder that the caf was happy to get behind this guy. Can't remember a single good game for us.
I remember once he was man of the Match at Old Trafford. We lost 1-0. He was playing for Southampton.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
He never recovered mentally from that United part of his career. No point in revisionism and saying he wasn't good at Southampton, he was brilliant. Seems like it may have been a case of the system suiting him perfectly and he couldn't adjust.

12OunceEpilogue

In perfect harmony
Scout

He was a fine PL central midfielder at Southampton, when he signed I and many others thought he would be a good addition. The fact he turned into an absolute non-entity of a player here doesn't mean it was obvious and predictable he wouldn't make it with us or with Everton.

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
Well He is 30 now.

At some point him and Schweiny were the talk of this forum. But both contributed almost nothing during their time here. I am not surprised really. Maybe He was having the best time of his career at Southampton and things just went downhill since.

Walters_19_MuFc

Everyone has their time. People can't play down how good he was at Southhampton. Unfortunately, he just wasn't able to make the step up, but he certainly isn't the first and will not be the last.

Skeezix

Over the moon when we signed him from Southampton thinking we finally have a Carrick replacement. Really surprised at how he went downhill so fast

saintquin

Supports
Southampton, Harlequins
He never recovered mentally from that United part of his career. No point in revisionism and saying he wasn't good at Southampton, he was brilliant. Seems like it may have been a case of the system suiting him perfectly and he couldn't adjust.
Almost exactly what I was about to say!

Saccharine

To think he was on the fringe of the French National Team at some point. Hopefully he can regain some form of relevance at Nice playing under Viera.
Schneiderlin is still the player with the highest number of successful tackles in the Premier League since 2013 (422)

Reactions: 12OunceEpilogue

top1whoisman

Meet the press(conference)
Scout
Signed for Turkish side Konyaspor on August 1st, mutually terminated the contract today after he asked for it due to family reasons. Hope everything is okay.

prateik

He was pretty good at Southampton.. limited, but pretty good.. dunno what happened..

Probably lost his motivation at some point.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Was convinced he would be a sensation based on the fact he ran around a lot :lol: